• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2009

Cheech said:
2. I think DJ Hero will have some legs. Awareness of the game wasn't great before it launched with the general population, but there is some positive word of mouth out there. It's never going to chart on the NPDs again, but should finish up in the black.
Again? I think you mean ever. (Assuming 'chart on the NPDs' means appear in the Top 10 . . . All retail games always are on the full NPD list somewhere since they track the majority of retail sales.)

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
DMeisterJ said:
Not too much context without the DL numbers, but that's kinda meh for the disc release. DL numbers need to be huge for this to not look good.

Sony has a tough time selling first-party games for some odd reason on the PS3. Somehow MGS4 and GTA IV, and probably MW2 will sell 1 million, but exclusive FP games can't. It's a shame, but U2 did do better than U1 by a large margin. :/

Not look good for Microsoft or Take 2? Didn't they get paid $50 million for the episodes? It would be a shame if the "DLC only, no wait on a disc" handling hampers the sales because both episodes are quite good.

Mooreberg said:
Not look good for Microsoft or Take 2? Didn't they get paid $50 million for the episodes? It would be a shame if the "DLC only, no wait on a disc" handling hampers the sales because both episodes are quite good.
Well, GTA sales for TTWO are certainly not looking good. But TTWO was the only company to beat expectations overall due to the strength of NBA 2K10 and Borderlands.
http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=26070

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Anyone talk about how little 358/2 dropped month over month?

That's like, only a 15% decrease. Pretty impressive. Looks like it's killing Dissida, I suppose.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
jmdajr said:
tekken3 sold better on ps3. Yup, that d-makes makes all the difference in my opinion.
Same result for street fighter 4.

Same with Blazblue, too, if I recall correctly.

Rocksteady33 said:
Anyone have recap/LTD numbers that are not included in the OP?

Here you go, with GH5 and GTA:EFLC added in:

UNCHARTED 2: AMONG THIEVES (PS3) 537,000
WII FIT PLUS (WII) 441,000
BORDERLANDS (360) 418,000
WII SPORTS RESORT (WII) 314,000
NBA 2K10 (360) 311,000
HALO 3: ODST (360) 271,000
NBA 2K10 (PS3) 213,000
FORZA MOTORSPORT 3 (360) 175,000
KINGDOM HEARTS 358/2 DAYS (NDS) 169,000
FIFA SOCCER 10 (360) 156,000
BRUTAL LEGEND (360) 150,000
BORDERLANDS (PS3) 113,000
DEMONS SOULS (PS3) >100,000
TEKKEN 6 (PS3) >100,000
RATCHET AND CLANK (PS3) ~100,000
TEKKEN 6 (360) <100,000
BRUTAL LEGEND (PS3) 66,000
DJ HERO (360) 62,000
GTA: EPISODES FROM LIBERTY CITY (360) 57,000
DJ HERO (PS3) 39,000
DJ HERO (WII) 19,000
BORDERLANDS (PC) 15,000
GTA CHINATOWN WARS (PSP) <10,000
A BOY AND HIS BLOB (WII) <10,000 (less than GTA)
DJ HERO (PS2) 3,300

other random data:

GUITAR HERO 5 (360, PS3, WII, PS2) 81,000
NBA 2K10 (PS2, PSP, WII, PC) 51,000

what did "The Lost and the Damned," sell? werent there figures of 1 million being tossed around? That was DL only and I would assume those that got that wouldnt be out buying the retail release.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Mooreberg said:
I think people are just exhausted with the current GTA 4 mechanics. They aren't particularly great anymore and they haven't got any better in the last two eps.

GTA4 was great when it came out, but nowadays it's just a bit too clunky and doesn't have the massive staying power that the original games did. Should be interesting to see how much excitement GTA5 drums up, because it's in serious need of a reboot (counting side games, we're now at nine GTA games within the last nine years, six of which were in Liberty City alone).

Danthrax said:
GUITAR HERO 5 (360, PS3, WII, PS2) 81,000
Damn . . . even DJ Hero beat that. :lol

Of course ATVI massively front-loaded GH5 sales by offering a free GH: Van Halen if you bought GH5 before a certain date. So this should really not be too surprising.

If you buy GH5 for full retail price now, you'd probably feel ripped off considering you don't get the GH:VH for free. I suspect ATVI will have to bring that offer back or reduce the price of stand-alone GH5.

Jokeropia

outunderthestars said:
Over the last few months almost 1/3rd of the top 30 game sales in Japan have been psp games.
Apart from the fact that this is OT, it's also false. PSP's total weekly software share in Japan has hovered between 15-20% recently.
outunderthestars said:
The DS sells 450K units in a month, but only has one game in the top ten, and yet nobody says that it is a software failure.
That's because we do get data from outside the top ten from time to time that gives us a picture of the situation. For example, we've gotten top 10 handheld games a few times and it's generally all DS. Also, DS has been the #2 software selling platform in the US this year (slightly behind Wii), beating PSP by more than 4 to 1.

32l.jpg

BruceLeeRoy said:
Except for the fact that Wii third party suffers even without a first party offering to contend with.
Except for the fact that they're not. Wii was the #1 third party software selling platform in the US 2008 and during much of that year it was behind the 360 in userbase.
NPD data has made clear that, in the calendar year of 2008, Wii was the hardware on which the biggest number of third party software were sold in the U.S.

http://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/en/library/events/090508/05.html

Cheech

DMeisterJ said:
That's basically it. The original Resistance sold 1 million after GH (I believe) and jstevenson said a few months ago that R2 was in the 750k-1 million range. But yeah, by and large, Sony's first parties crossing a million hardly happens. It's sad because they have a great lineup of studios and games. I really want to know why they can't sell. :/

My opinion on why Sony first party retail games don't sell as well as their 360 counterparts:

1. Price of the system. Only very recently, did it get down from the stratosphere.
2. They have done some mindshare damage to formerly great Sony PS2 franchises such as SOCOM, God of War, Gran Turismo, and Twisted Metal by launching these games just too stinking late in the system's life cycle. Can you imagine Microsoft not having a Halo game out by now? Or Nintendo not doing a Mario or Zelda?
3. In addition to mistreating core Sony franchises, the new IPs they've put out there haven't been that great for the most part. The lone bright spot is Uncharted, and even that game has issues appealing to a wide audience (this can be laid at the feet of Sony Marketing, IMO). I'm going to buy MAG as a personal thank-you to Zipper for the days' worth of time I've spent on SOCOM, but I know that I'll be one of 5 people playing that game online come launch day. I would love to be wrong.
4. Sony has, by far, the most inept marketing in the console market. I'm convinced Killzone 2 would have sold more if they'd called it something other than Killzone, and threw serious marketing support behind it as a new IP.

"Hey gaming group, we buying Killzone 2?"
"Wasn't the first one a pile of shit?"
"Yeah, I guess we'll skip it. We'll just keep playing World at War".

Of All Trades said:
Back in March, Pachter estimated that TLATD had sold 1M. MS stated that it sold more than Killzone 2 in the US, which at that time (February/March or so) was 323k.So yes, I think that the somewhere between 500k-1M people who own TLATD might make up the difference on Gay Tony. Probably not as much, given the release window, but it's not like it'll stop being on shelves.

Didn't the game do fair in retail as well though?

Of All Trades said:
Further, your comment regarding the sales of DD and types of game still seem off, given the known high sales of BF1943, Shadow Complex, and Trials HD (which is pick up and play but not small).

I see. Big overlook on my part.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
chubigans said:
I think people are just exhausted with the current GTA 4 mechanics. They aren't particularly great anymore and they haven't got any better in the last two eps.

GTA4 was great when it came out, but nowadays it's just a bit too clunky and doesn't have the massive staying power that the original games did. Should be interesting to see how much excitement GTA5 drums up, because it's in serious need of a reboot (counting side games, we're now at nine GTA games within the last nine years, six of which were in Liberty City alone).

Yeah but the number of GTA games shouldn't really effect the main franchise. Most of the people that bought GTA IV never played Liberty City Stories, or Vice City Stories, or Chinatown wars. For a lot of people GTA IV was the first real GTA game in three and a half years after San Andreas came out.

I think they just mishandled the episodes. If I had known they would be out on disc prior to Lost and Damned coming out I would have waited. It reminds me of the PSP games. People will wait when they know it is coming on PS2. I think some of the people that bought Lost and Damned as DLC would have waited if they knew what was going to happen.

I remember wondering how well GTA IV would do based on Liberty City Stories not selling nearly as much on PS2 as people said it would, but it still ended up being big. If there had never been DLC and they did a good job of marketing "two GTA games for $40" it would have sold. There isn't a whole lot more they could add content wise other than completely refocusing the multiplayer.

Curufinwe

Class_A_Ninja said:
I know RE 4 is old now and much of it seems dated, but don't forget where you came from. The attention paid to the game's setting and characters is along the lines of Uncharted.

Uncharted can be a bit too family friendly and hokey. RE 4 has that video game "cool" that you don't often see, but you know it when you see it. Castlevania SOTN has it too.

Well said. RE 4 is almost five years old already and still holds up.

Archie said:
I wonder why The Sims isn't available on Steam. It seems to be available at other DD sites (D2D, GG, Impulse, etc).

And there are plenty of other EA games available on Steam. It would be really interesting to know the real reason EA has kept The Sims off of Steam.

I bought The Sims 3 for my wife on DVD from Amazon when it became clear to me it would never appear on Steam. Of course, the DVD drive on my PC wouldn't read The Sims 3 DVD (even though it has never had a problem with any other disc) and I ended up having to download the game from EA's Download Manager using the CD-Key on the back of the manual.

While I would love to see better number for Forza 4, but I don't think racing genre is what it once was. Anyway for those saying the number is a flop, it chart this month in the top 10 which NFS shift didn't. NFS is definitely a bigger name than Forza. GT5P also flop (but it's on the PSP so...there's a lot going against it). My local Gamestop, reservation for Forza 3 was about 10 copies while MW2 is 300+...

You can see where the software $ on the 360 went in October, it's all for Borderland. I think it came out at the right time for 360 crowd, in between Halo ODST and Modern Warfare 2.

May be GT5 will usher in resurgence in racing game .. but I hightly doubt not in the US anyway.

stupei

Flying_Phoenix said:
I don't know about anyone else but I'm glad that this "episode" shit is failing so badly.

I'd much rather have developers create new games instead of just continuously focusing on already existing games by reusing the same exact existing assets to milk out more sales.

The Episodes are some of the best DLC available on Live, so I can't say I agree. Also pretty sure that Rockstar are going to be taking their time before the next numbered release in the series, no matter how many people they have working on it at any given time. They're going to allow for enough time for it to be an event, just like GTA IV was.

Pristine_Condition said:
In my opinion (and I'm a real RE franchise fan,) it's so superior to RE4 as to not even mention it in the same breath. Even the first Uncharted was significantly better than RE4, IMO.

Ew, no. I have the exact opposite opinion. I'm actually offended on RE4's behalf that a comparison is being made. U2 is severely flawed.

Pristine_Condition said:
When you get a PS3, you should immediately buy at least one Uncharted game, probably both.

Nevertheless, I do agree with this, as long as you buy Demon's Souls first. Both Uncharted games are very good, but not best-of-gen material. Demon's Souls is, though. Good to see it sold well. If I recall correctly, Trauma Center: Second Opinion is Atlus' best-selling game to date. I'll have to check...maybe Demon's Souls has a chance of beating it. That would be nice. I don't understand why Sony didn't bring this over and really push it, but it's a good win for Atlus (and us). I'm a tiny bit disgruntled that I imported it just before it was announced for US release.

Opiate

Cheech said:
My opinion on why Sony first party retail games don't sell as well as their 360 counterparts:

1. Price of the system. Only very recently, did it get down from the stratosphere.
2. They have done some mindshare damage to formerly great Sony PS2 franchises such as SOCOM, God of War, Gran Turismo, and Twisted Metal by launching these games just too stinking late in the system's life cycle. Can you imagine Microsoft not having a Halo game out by now? Or Nintendo not doing a Mario or Zelda?
3. In addition to mistreating core Sony franchises, the new IPs they've put out there haven't been that great for the most part. The lone bright spot is Uncharted, and even that game has issues appealing to a wide audience (this can be laid at the feet of Sony Marketing, IMO). I'm going to buy MAG as a personal thank-you to Zipper for the days' worth of time I've spent on SOCOM, but I know that I'll be one of 5 people playing that game online come launch day. I would love to be wrong.
4. Sony has, by far, the most inept marketing in the console market. I'm convinced Killzone 2 would have sold more if they'd called it something other than Killzone, and threw serious marketing support behind it as a new IP.

Most of these make less sense when you realize that this same phenomena was true on the PS2. Not to the drastic extent that it has been this generation, but it's still true that Sony only had a handful of multimillion sellers last generation, when they had the best selling home console ever.

I think the answer is that many of Sony's games appeal very strongly to a small subset of gamers, but have virtually no appeal outside of that. It's the obvious conclusion to draw, but nobody says it because nobody wants to believe it. The single counterexample to this would be the Eyetoy, which did very well on the PS2, and would have done even better if Sony had made it a centerpiece instead of a afterthought addon.

Jokeropia said:
Except for the fact that they're not. Wii was the #1 third party software selling platform in the US 2008 and during much of that year it was behind the 360 in userbase.

Yeah, there's a big difference between "3rd-party games don't sell" and "specific 3rd-party games don't chart in the Top Ten", which is what people really mean. Just because Wii owners don't have a hive mind and all buy the same games on the same day doesn't mean no games are selling. No audience was built for blockbuster front-loaded game sales on the Wii, so there isn't one. In fact, it wasn't just not built, it could be described as "sabotaged".

Cheech said:

Word of mouth on Killzone 2 wasn't exactly great. The controls being the biggest issue followed by online issues. Neither is going to win over the CoD crowd.

timetokill said:
For GAF-specific expectations conversations...

2009_10_performancevsGAF.png

This graph is actually amazing and says something important about the gaf audience. In a way you can look at how uncalibrated gaf expectation are compared to reality as a measure of bias. The smaller the number (along the number line) the more biased gaf is in favor of something. The larger the number (along the number line) the more down on something gaf is. As expected you see a huge bias with gaf inflated expectations for sales of "next gen" hardcore gaming machines (360/ps3) and the current handheld king (DS). Gaf is generally down on the more casual Wii/current PS2 while well calibrated on about poor PSP performance.

You can even ordinarily place which machines gaf loves from most to least: 360 > PS3 >DS > PSP > PS2 > Wii.

I would bet that if someone put up a poll asking which system they prefer that the order from most -> least would be the same as above.

Not trying to stir up the console warriors but I think these numbers do probably tell us something about biases whether or not people are aware of it.

Opiate

Leondexter said:
Yeah, there's a big difference between "3rd-party games don't sell" and "specific 3rd-party games don't chart in the Top Ten", which is what people really mean. Just because Wii owners don't have a hive mind and all buy the same games on the same day doesn't mean no games are selling. No audience was built for blockbuster front-loaded game sales on the Wii, so there isn't one. In fact, it wasn't just not built, it could be described as "sabotaged".

This is the same reason why some people seem to claim that PC gaming is dead: what they really mean is that the "epic/hardcore/blockbuster" games don't seem to be selling as well as they used to. Which is true, but then, other genres have popped up to take their place. MMOs, Sims, and other casual fare being the obvious examples.

In reality, PC gaming is still growing, and is bigger than any console. Even the Wii. I've even had people who were so sure of PC gaming's demise that they refused to believe this until I provided links to prove it.

At that point, many people begin to claim that MMOs or Bejeweled don't count in some fashion, and it becomes clear that they are effectively asking, "Which systems sell the most shooters and big budget action games?" or perhaps, "Which systems sell the most games I happen to personally care about?"

markatisu said:
So we are not actually discussing any Wii failures, just the fact that the Top 10 is not dominated by Wii software gotcha

Wow then the DS must be a complete failure, amazed games get made for it (rolling eyes)

I'm just saying that top 10 is all we have so thats what we base our discusison on. There other problems with NDP, since they dont' count digital sales or Walmart or HW bundles...
It is good to understand these flaws, but its hard to makes excuses for game X or platform Y because of them.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Opiate said:
Most of these make less sense when you realize that this same phenomena was true on the PS2. Not to the drastic extent that it has been this generation, but it's still true that Sony only had a handful of multimillion sellers last generation, when they had the best selling home console ever.

I think the answer is that many of Sony's games appeal very strongly to a small subset of gamers, but have virtually no appeal outside of that. It's the obvious conclusion to draw, but nobody says it because nobody wants to believe it.

I think what you say is true, and was going to say what you said in the first paragraph pretty much verbatim.

I don't think it's that many of these games couldn't have more market appeal, but either because of their audience or because of Sony's marketing, they seem to have difficulty holding strong loyalty as a software pusher. I think maybe a larger proportion of say, the 360 base, is a lot more tuned in to what the next big things coming down the pipe are from Microsoft than is true for PS3 owners and Sony. I don't doubt this is a lot to do with marketing, but I think the 'playstation audience' may also be a factor - I think a big characteristic of the previous playstations, and actually a key to their success, was broad attention over a wide range of titles rather than necessarily (relatively) deep attention on fewer games. Even the really big (mostly third party) games on PS2 only reached a relatively small fraction of the total base. Although the PS3 audience is still more early adopter, I do think even within that audience it's just similarly less 'coordinated', if you like, in how it makes its purchasing decisions vs other platforms.

Demons Souls is a shocker. Awesome, awesome sales for such an obscure RPG. Very happy to see that.

IIRC that's better sales than Star Ocean or Last Remnant, both sold to a larger base, and both published by giant Square Enix, not tiny From Software.

Kudos, From. Easily my favorite small developer right now.

Guess that goes to show that PS3 has a very hardcore JRPG fanbase. Which makes sense seeing as how the best JRPG's were basically exclusive to PlayStation systems for 10+ years.

gofreak said:
I think what you say is true, and was going to say what you said in the first paragraph pretty much verbatim.

I don't think it's that many of these games couldn't have more market appeal, but either because of their audience or because of Sony's marketing, they seem to have difficulty holding strong loyalty as a software pusher. I think maybe a larger proportion of say, the 360 base, is a lot more tuned in to what the next big things coming down the pipe are from Microsoft than is true for PS3 owners and Sony. I don't doubt this is a lot to do with marketing, but I think the 'playstation audience' may also be a factor - I think a big characteristic of the previous playstations, and actually a key to their success, was broad attention over a wide range of titles rather than necessarily (relatively) deep attention on fewer games. Even the really big (mostly third party) games on PS2 only reached a relatively small fraction of the total base. Although the PS3 audience is still more early adopter, I do think even within that audience it's just similarly less 'coordinated', if you like, in how it makes its purchasing decisions vs other platforms.

I think the 360 crowd is just bombarded with new information on current and upcoming games through the NXE and I think that's why people are more in touch with it on that system. When a new big title is going to hit, even smaller ones hit you can't avoid it. It's all over the system. It was very smart on their part to add that.

With the PS3 Sony saw this and that is why there are the most recent changes to the XMB even the ticker that cannot be turned off. They saw how effective this was and followed suit. I feel it will only get richer as Sony tweaks the new XMB to make it more NXE like so their users are more informed on upcoming and current releases for the system.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Kusagari said:
HOLY SHIT AT DEMON'S SOULS OVER 150k.

Is this the most successful first month for an Atlus game ever?
The lifetime U.S. sales of Persona 4 were only 110,000.

Atlus mentioned it in their financial report once.

Tiktaalik

Opiate said:
This is the same reason why some people seem to claim that PC gaming is dead: what they really mean is that the "epic/hardcore/blockbuster" games don't seem to be selling as well as they used to. Which is true, but then, other genres have popped up to take their place. MMOs, Sims, and other casual fare being the obvious examples.

In reality, PC gaming is still growing, and is bigger than any console. Even the Wii. I've even had people who were so sure of PC gaming's demise that they refused to believe this until I provided links to prove it.

At that point, many people begin to claim that MMOs or Bejeweled don't count in some fashion, and it becomes clear that they are effectively asking, "Which systems sell the most shooters and big budget action games?" or perhaps, "Which systems sell the most games I happen to personally care about?"

So true.

Also Demon Souls owns. Woooo.

Only 3 Wii games in the top 20, all from Nintendo. Thought the Wii was strong for 3rd parties? Maybe I should start following sales-age more, I feel too in the dark...

Elios83

Is Atlus publishing Demon's Souls because SCEA refused to do it by itself?
In that case SCEA owned themselves :lol it did better than Ratchet&Clank.

JudgeN

Alright From Software/Sony you got Dot 3D hero's done and Ive been asking for it since February. GIVE ME DEMON SOULS 2 NOW!!!!!!!!!!

botticus

Nice holds for both KH DS and M&L... not so much for Scribblenauts. Though I suppose proportionally Scribblenauts could be just outside the top 20 with a similar percentage drop to M&L.

jvm

Gamasutra.
gofreak said:
Is that the most ps3 games in the top 20 to date?

That's a pretty healthy split for PS3. Very healthy for 'HD' overall. 8 360 games, 6 PS3, 3 Wii and 3 DS.
No. There were more in October 2008. Seven then, I think.

Ultimo hombre said:
Word of mouth on Killzone 2 wasn't exactly great. The controls being the biggest issue followed by online issues. Neither is going to win over the CoD crowd.

Count me in on that issue. I actually bought the first KZ on PS2 and actually enjoyed the online portion of it. KZ2 looked great and I was all set to buy it until I tried the demo. It was such a turn off that I didn't bother giving the full game a shot. Honestly, if it had Modern Warfare-like controls or just easier controls then I would have been all over it. But trying to be realistic or hardcore or whatever the fuck they were trying to be was not fun and I want to have fun if I bought the game.

Top Bottom