• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2010 [Update 6: Rock Band 3]

V_Arnold

Gadfly said:
At this point even second place is not guaranteed for 360. It will not be a "distant third" as some analysts (and gaffers) predicted, but the chances of them being a "close third" by the time everything is said and done is high. This is not necessarily a bad thing. I am sure they did not expect to be this close when this generation started.

But keep dreaming.

Actually, this is still the NPD thread, and that means 360 still has a strong chance of closing in on Wii, and PS3 is not a threat in the USA for the 360. Worldwide, it all comes down of what will happen in Japan and Europe. If japanese sales increase more than 360's lead on PS3 in USA, then it will catch it worldwide, otherwise, not really likely.

Laguna said:
I wouldn´t call it worst case. It´s more than likely it will never catch up.
His worst case has it outselling the Wii in four years.

I don't think the 360 will come anywhere close. I was just trying to give his expectations something close to realism.

just tray

Banned
CrushDance said:
What!? "cheap"?......Lets use the iPhone here. Is it popular because it's hi tech or because of the software? Why would someone with a Wii, invest in a 360 or PS3 for motion controls when the big mover has always ben the software

Back in the day the IPhone was the only the only touch screen on the block. Now there is more. Think of gamers interests in terms of service contracts. Maybe some people got tired of the dropped calls, better features on some phones (dear steve jobs we love flash) and saw they can get similiar or better use out of a different product.

To your software question? Kinect does have a better launch lineup than the Wii even though a lot are just modified Wii games that work with Kinect

Paracelsus

Laguna said:
I wouldn´t call it worst case. It´s more than likely it will never catch up.

It would be nice if someone made those "if Wii stopped selling PS3 would catch up in 2015 and XBOX360 in 2014" like those for MC threads. Not that we have reliable numbers now to do so. >_>

No-one seems to have done it yet, so here's the hardware figures with YoY change:

NDS - 342k (-25.3%)
360 - 325k (+30.2%)
PS3 - 250k (-22.0%)
WII - 232k (-54.3%)

Pretty horrific all told. Wii is in deep trouble.

Gadfly

While flying into a tree he exclaimed "Egad!"
V_Arnold said:
Actually, this is still the NPD thread, and that means 360 still has a strong chance of closing in on Wii, and PS3 is not a threat in the USA for the 360. Worldwide, it all comes down of what will happen in Japan and Europe. If japanese sales increase more than 360's lead on PS3 in USA, then it will catch it worldwide, otherwise, not really likely.
yes, you're right. I completely forgot the context (US vs. world).

just tray

Banned
Paracelsus said:
It would be nice if someone made those "if Wii stopped selling PS3 would catch up in 2015 and XBOX360 in 2014" like those for MC threads. Not that we have reliable numbers now to do so. >_>

SO my opinion is wrong.. riiiight... anyways....This month and December numbers will tell the story. Wiis days as the number one holiday console are over.keep in mind that Wii doesnt have the Kinect level of advertising.Never did.Doesn't have xbox live. Isnt HD. Consumers see that stuff. The 360 has more selling points than the Wii. Thats where I form my opinions from.

Disagree with me, no problem but only an idiot would bash someone for giving their opinion or resort to name calling. All that shows is a flaw in your character.

just tray said:
SO my opinion is wrong.. riiiight... anyways....This month and December numbers will tell the story. Wiis days as the number one holiday console are over.keep in mind that Wii doesnt have the Kinect level of advertising.Never did.Doesn't have xbox live. Isnt HD. Consumers see that stuff. The 360 has more selling points than the Wii. Thats where I form my opinions from.

Disagree with me, no problem but only an idiot would bash someone for giving their opinion.
The closest I see to anyone bashing you is someone calling you a Kinect shill.

The person you're responding to isn't insulting you.

But that's beside the point because the opinion that the 360 can outsell the Wii by any substantive number is at this current point wrong. To catch up with the Wii the platform would have to sell like the Wii was in its first three years. Their best non holiday month doesn't even come close to the Wii's best non holiday month.

Dennis

Banned
Psychotext said:
No-one seems to have done it yet, so here's the hardware figures with YoY change:

NDS - 342k (-25.3%)
360 - 325k (+30.2%)
PS3 - 250k (-22.0%)
WII - 232k (-54.3%)

Reggie, take notice. Long ass time to 45 mil.

just tray

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:

But that's beside the point because the opinion that the 360 can outsell the Wii by any substantive number is at this current point wrong. To catch up with the Wii the platform would have to sell like the Wii was in its first three years. Their best non holiday month doesn't even come close to the Wii's best non holiday month.

My bad quoted the wrong one

just tray said:
Back in the day the IPhone was the only the only touch screen on the block. Now there is more. Think of gamers interests in terms of service contracts. Maybe some people got tired of the dropped calls, better features on some phones (dear steve jobs we love flash) and saw they can get similiar or better use out of a different product.

To your software question? Kinect does have a better launch lineup than the Wii even though a lot are just modified Wii games that work with Kinect
Android

Road

Paracelsus said:
Those were fun. haha

- If the Wii stopped selling, the 360, at this month's rate, would catch up with it in 26 months.

- If the Wii stopped selling, the PS3, at this month's rate, would catch up with it in 68 months.

- If the Wii and the 360 continued selling at the same rate, the 360 would catch up with the Wii in 91 months.

- If the Wii and the PS3 continued selling at the same rate, the PS3 would catch up with the Wii in 940 months.

I think this is it.

szaromir

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:

In the US? Was Wii ever much better than 1.2M in a non-Holiday month? Last November?

just tray

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:

I'm basing this largely on Kinect. It has sold 1 million in 10 days BTW.It has outsold the Wii for 5 months straight without Kinect to its core audience. Obviously a lot of people are want Kinect. Remember I said theres a lot of variables to the equation? Would be so much easier to argue this in December.This gen is prolonged as either of the big three has any reason to push out a new console.Also assuming that the Wii will never surpass the 360 in sales again(only with a price cut)

I'm just saying anything is possible.
Wii release-2005 kidding 2006
Took the Wii a little less than two years to pass 360 NPD in 2008.
Kinect is like the equivalent of a new system launch. But it already has proven legs and Nintendo went from the Gamecube to the Wii which is amazing.

Anything is possible

szaromir

Banned
Thunder Monkey said:
When did the 360?
I misread, sorry. I read it as "their best Holday month doesn't come close to Nintendo's best non-Holiday month". Now I admit you're right, it's something like 900k vs 550k if memory serves me correctly.

szaromir said:
I misread, sorry. I read it as "their best Holday month doesn't come close to Nintendo's best non-Holiday month". Now I admit you're right, it's something like 900k vs 550k if memory serves me correctly.
Ahhh.

It's all cool man. You just had me more than a little confused.:lol

GC|Simon

Wow, I'm sad for Kirby. Europe to the rescue in 2011 ;-)

Weak Wii numbers. I'm disappointed by the start of Wii Party. According to Nintendo, it should have been the next big brdige game. However, I hope that Epic Mickey and Donkey Kong Country Retruns will sell extremely good. And accelerate Wii hardware sales.

Why is Move performing pretty bad? Does nobody want it or is there a production bottleneck?

Sean

Banned
Psychotext said:

NDS - 342k (-25.3%)
360 - 325k (+30.2%)
PS3 - 250k (-22.0%)
WII - 232k (-54.3%)

Pretty huge YoY drops for Wii in October twice now:

Wii Oct 08 - 803,000
Wii Oct 09 - 506,900
Wii Oct 10 - 232,000

Psychotext said:

NDS - 342k (-25.3%)
360 - 325k (+30.2%)
PS3 - 250k (-22.0%)
WII - 232k (-54.3%)

Oh I don't know if I would call it horrific, if it takes future Wii HW sales bombing horribly to get us Wii2 even one day earlier it may be worth the price! ;)

Ashes

Banned
Sean said:
Pretty huge YoY drops for Wii in October twice now:

Wii Oct 08 - 803,000
Wii Oct 09 - 506,900
Wii Oct 10 - 232,000

Damn... that's something alright....
Having said that, you still have astronomical sales to competitor level sales right?
Edit: Trends are a damning verdict still. I say this because it looked like I was spinning, being economical with the truth as it were instead of just being folly.

Laguna

Banned
Some people here seem to not know that last-gen there was a period when the Xbox outsold the PS2 in the US and how this didn´t matter all that much in the whole picture. But many are very quick to start the doom and gloom talk especially about Nintendo systems even the NDS wasn´t safe from this. The X360 had a relaunch with it´s slim a few months ago and games with big marketing campaigns like Halo and a huge marketing campaign for Kinect so it´s no surprise that sales got better. But we have also to keep in mind that even these sales are far away from what Wii did the last 3 years and the Wii sold more than 30mio units in the USA.

It will be interesting to see how the sales will look like next year, how a possible new system in 2012 or even the 3DS next year will affect on current gen hardware sales and if Microsoft really intends to give their competition a more than one year headstart for the first next-gen system.

FrankT

Road said:
http://www.industrygamers.com/news/wii-sells-232000-in-october-places-third-again/

PS3 - 250,000
WII - 232,000

Software sales:

360: $265 million
PS3: $186 million
WII: $91 million
NDS: $49 million

PS2 + PSP: $14 million (605 - 591)

Weak looking Wii SW sales and likely MS has taken both cash lead(last month) and unit lead at this point.

DennisK4 said:
Reggie, take notice. Long ass time to 45 mil.

It's gonna be a long generation. :)

So that should put the overall sales difference with the Wii at around 103k YTD and around a million with the PS3, closing in 9 million LTD.

Owzers

EA's kinda stupid. They saw the huge sales of THQ's UFC game and wanted a piece of their lunch. Then midway through development they had to have seen UFC's sequel sell half as much and go " we might be in trouble"....welll now here is a lovely dose of trouble EA, way to make a game in a genre where no one wanted more of right now.

Speaking of which, hey Activision, congrats on the success of another Tony Hawk game! I didn't even know it came out.

szaromir

Banned
Laguna said:
Some people here seem to not know that last-gen there was a period when the Xbox outsold the PS2 in the US and how this didn´t matter all that much in the whole picture. But many are very quick to start the doom and gloom talk especially about Nintendo systems even the NDS wasn´t safe from this. The X360 had a relaunch with it´s slim a few months ago and games with big marketing campaigns like Halo and a huge marketing campaign for Kinect so it´s no surprise that sales got better. But we have also to keep in mind that even these sales are far away from what Wii did the last 3 years and the Wii sold more than 30mio units in the USA.
While true, the Wii's total userbase is also meaningless when it buys 1/3 the software 360 userbase buys.

Laguna

Banned
szaromir said:
While true, the Wii's total userbase is also meaningless when it buys 1/3 the software 360 userbase buys.

I doubt we can say this for sure with sparsely information available. This was often claimed in the past but proofen wrong.

FrankT

szaromir said:

Unit wise for the year it has kept up to last month or very close. Cash wise probably not even close at this point. I'd also be interested in that third and first party breakdown at this point.

Laguna said:
I doubt we can say this for sure with sparsely information available. This was often claimed in the past but proofen wrong.

Certainly true for the last couple of months because we have the cash amounts. Whether or not that stays the case I doubt it.

Laguna

Banned
szaromir said:
Software sales:
360: $265 million
WII: $91 million

Average price for a Wii game might be lower, but still...

I doubt a strong month/period with some big marketed games for one side and a extremely low one for the other side shows the whole picture and it sure doesn´t support your generalizing claim.

szaromir

Banned
Laguna said:
I doubt a strong month/period with some big marketed games for one side and a extremely low one for the other side shows the whole picture and it sure doesn´t support your generalizing claim.
Kirby and Wii Party came out in October. October might seem a bit skewed towards 360, but there's really nothing in future to reverse the trend in Wii's favor.

Is Industrygamers a reliable source?
Yes.

marc^o^

Nintendo's Pro Bono PR Firm
szaromir said:
Kirby and Wii Party came out in October. October might seem a bit skewed towards 360, but there's really nothing in future to reverse the trend in Wii's favor.
Apart from Christmas.

Top Bottom