• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2010 [Update 6: Rock Band 3]

charsace

So people are going to have to play sherlock holmes every month for the npd?

And I think FONV at least did 300k on pc DD.

And this gen will finish the way it started after all the systems were out for a year. I said back then. The way the first year goes in terms of numbers is the way the generation turns out in the end.

farnham

Banned
speculawyer said:
I feel a bit guilty laughing at that. I like to see smack-talking Kotick get bitch-slapped. But I feel sorry for all those ATVI employees that have been laid off.
kotick is laughing right now and having a great time with his starcraft 2, call of duty bo money and is excited to rake in the cataclysm money

onipex

So this is the first time the Wii has dropped from September to October since 08 ( couldn't find 07 numbers).

Sept 2008 NPD

HW Sales
PlayStation 2 173.5K
PlayStation 3 232.4K
PSP 238.1K
Xbox 360 347.2K
Wii 687.0K
Nintendo DS 536.8K

October 2008 NPD

HW Sales
Hardware Unit Sales
Oct-08
PlayStation 2 136K
PlayStation 3 190K
PSP 193K
Xbox 360 371K
Wii 803K
Nintendo DS 491K

NPD September 2009

PlayStation 2 146.0K
PlayStation 3 491.8K
PSP 190.4K
Xbox 360 352.6K
Wii 462.8K
Nintendo DS 524.2K

NPD October 2009

PlayStation 2 117.8K
PlayStation 3 320.6K
PSP 174.6K
Xbox 360 249.7K
Wii 506.9K
Nintendo DS 457.6K

September 2010 NPD
Xbox 360: 483,989 Units (Up 37% Year Over Year)
DS: 403,000 Units (Down 23% Year Over Year)
PS3: 312,000 Units (Down 37% Year Over Year)
Wii: 254,000 Units (Down 45% Year Over Year)
New! PSP: 106,624 Units (Down 44% Year Over Year)

October 2010
NDS - 342k (-25.3%)
360 - 325k (+30.2%)
PS3 - 250k (-22.0%)
WII - 232k (-54.3%)

farnham said:
kotick is laughing right now and having a great time with his starcraft 2, call of duty bo money and is excited to rake in the cataclysm money
Certainly nice successes. But you can't run a 14 billion dollar company on just 3 hits.

2real4tv

This year I think software wise SONY dropped the ball. Its like they had a good start with GOWIII and then fell flat after that. Honestly, I can't think of anything else other than MOVE and then GT5 after that(did I forget something?). I think Microsoft had a more stable year where their exclusives were spread out throughtout the year SC, Alan Wake, Halo Reach, FIII and then Kinect after that(missing anything?). It just feels like their should have been an Insomaic release somewhere in there, losing them as a exclusive dev is huge imo, because they were able to put out a title YoY.

SapientWolf said:
Apparently you can. As long as the sequels and expansions keep selling.
Maybe they can. But if I held shares in ATVI, I'd be a bit worried. But Kotick has been an incredible success so perhaps he can keep the train rolling.

Zoe

2real4tv said:
This year I think software wise SONY dropped the ball. Its like they had a good start with GOWIII and then fell flat after that. Honestly, I can't think of anything else other than MOVE and then GT5 after that(did I forget something?).

ModNation Racers, but nothing much ever came of it.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
2real4tv said:
This year I think software wise SONY dropped the ball. Its like they had a good start with GOWIII and then fell flat after that. Honestly, I can't think of anything else other than MOVE and then GT5 after that(did I forget something?). I think Microsoft had a more stable year where their exclusives were spread out throughtout the year SC, Alan Wake, Halo Reach, FIII and then Kinect after that(missing anything?). It just feels like their should have been an Insomaic release somewhere in there, losing them as a exclusive dev is huge imo, because they were able to put out a title YoY.

M.A.G
White Knight Chronicles
MLB 10: The Show
Heavy Rain
God of War III
Modnation Racers
Kung Fu Rider
Sports Champions
Start the Party
Buzz: The Ultimate Music Quiz
Gran Turismo 5
The Fight: Lights Out
The Shoot
TV Superstars
Time Crisis: Razing Storm

Throw in some Singstars as well. Insomniac chose to take longer in-between titles because their quality was suffering.

Microsoft's was...

Alan Wake
Crackdown 2
Fable III
Halo: Reach
Lips: Party Classics
Kinect Sports
Kinectimals
Kinect Adventures
Kinect Joy Ride

Halo was huge of course.

shwimpy

2real4tv said:
It just feels like their should have been an Insomaic release somewhere in there, losing them as a exclusive dev is huge imo, because they were able to put out a title YoY.
Guess you missed the memo where they said all future games will have much longer development cycles. Resistance 2 was absolute shit because it was rushed. Though, I was pleasantly surprised how well ACIT (best in the series actually) turned out.

As for them going third party, more people need to play their games so it's for the best. They are a talented bunch.

M.A.G
White Knight Chronicles
Heavy Rain
God of War III
Modnation Racers
Kung Fu Rider
Sports Champions
Start the Party
Gran Turismo 5
The Shoot
TV Superstars

Other than Heavy Rain, GT5 and GoW3, nothing really screams out at the consumers. Would've been better if SOCOM 4 and LBP2 was released on their original dates.... but at least we're getting a ridiculous 2011 lineup.

CrunchinJelly

formerly cjelly
Kintaro said:
M.A.G
White Knight Chronicles
Heavy Rain
God of War III
Modnation Racers
Kung Fu Rider
Sports Champions
Start the Party
Gran Turismo 5
The Shoot
TV Superstars

Throw in some Singstars as well. Insomniac chose to take longer in-between titles because their quality was suffering.

Microsoft's was...

Alan Wake
Crackdown 2
Fable III
Kinect Sports
Kinectimals
Kinect Adventures
Kinect Joy Ride

Halo was huge of course.
Way to prove his point.

MrPliskin

Banned
markatisu said:
Ouch, complete and total rejection by PS3 owners. Maybe it will pick up over Christmas

Well, if you don't spend the money, you won't sell the product.

Edit: And man, it looks like the lack of Solid numbers has really trimmed the fat in NPD threads. They're actually interested to read now w/out the bickering and nonsense about winning / losing. Glad to see those folks lose interest, at least somewhat.

2real4tv

Kintaro said:
Microsoft's was...

Alan Wake
Crackdown 2
Fable III
Kinect Sports
Kinectimals
Kinect Adventures
Kinect Joy Ride

Halo was huge of course.

Wasn't Splinter Cell released on 2010? Mod Racers is not my cup of tea and should have been a PSN release imo. I forgot about MAG and The Show. As for WKC, when they release a title a year before in another region I think it takes the steam away a little. After watching YT vids I became less interested, not to mention my ps3 was dead at release. I still feel Microsoft lineup was more balanced also the Slim released help out alot. That brings up another thought does anyone feel like ps3 went from the best looking system to the ugliest. I dunno it just looks like a cheap ripoff of the Phat, they need a redesign imo, or at least offer different colors. They are just starting to profit so its least likely...man I always wanted a white Phatty.

duk

Banned
Kintaro said:
M.A.G
White Knight Chronicles
Heavy Rain
God of War III
Modnation Racers
Kung Fu Rider
Sports Champions
Start the Party
Gran Turismo 5
The Shoot
TV Superstars

Microsoft's was...

Alan Wake
Crackdown 2
Fable III
Kinect Sports
Kinectimals
Kinect Adventures
Kinect Joy Ride

Halo was huge of course.

consumers choose quality > quantity it seems

2real4tv said:
This year I think software wise SONY dropped the ball. Its like they had a good start with GOWIII and then fell flat after that. Honestly, I can't think of anything else other than MOVE and then GT5 after that(did I forget something?).
Heavy_Rain_Cover_Art.jpg

Eternia

2real4tv said:
Insomniac are still making exclusive games for PS3 along with multiplatform games though. They haven't lost much at all. I do agree their spacing between releases wasn't optimal and they probably hoped some Move software would have caught on more than what they've shown so far.

Stumpokapow said:
Simply go to any store that sells PC games and you can tell that the type of PC games that sell at retail are generally budget bundles, hidden object games and other BigFish-style "casual" games, lower profile adventure games (particularly anything published by "The Adventure Company").

It's the majority of what's stocked. It's the majority of what's sold. It's the majority of the shelf space. This isn't a criticism or a bitch or a whine on my part, by the way. I have no doubt that Fallout NV was by far the biggest PC retail title for the month--but for every Fallout there are many 5k-10k selling budget titles that make their money in Wal-Mart budget bins.

Also, if it's the same in the US as it is in Australia, the bulk of retail purchases of core PC games are juggernauts like The Sims, WOW and the expansions simply because so many people are buying them, and the type of people buying them are generally not aware of DD. That would definitely be enough to push the average to 50/50 in spite of many other games like NV being predominately DD.

FrankT

2real4tv said:
Wasn't Splinter Cell released on 2010? .

Both Splinter Cell and ME2. Not gonna split hairs on a PC version if you wanted on the console side that was it. Obviously a year on the latter exclusive, but likely the highest rated game of the year besides maybe RDR. MS did good job this year with it's portfolio, but next year who knows. They seem pretty confident in what is in the pipeline and suppose we shall see. At this point it sounds as if it maybe a decent mix between core and Kinect titles.

Rhindle

Dr. Zoidberg said:
To me the issue of Move vs Kinnect is not just one of Move having no "big" games for it. I think you can safely say that unless you consider Dance Central to be a big title Kinnect is not that much better off.

I think the bigger issue is that casual Joe Public sees the Move as just another Wii-type experience and they've already been there and done that. At least Kinnect has the appearance of being something different. Although WE know the Move has many advantages over Wii, to the casual observer I'm sure it just looks like a me-too clone.
That's true overall, although I think the perception is that Kinect has reasonable software backing, with a good 4-5 games worth buying.

Relatively speaking, Sony doesn't really give a crap about Move - or at least, isn't willing to make a real investment in it. I don't think that was lost on consumers.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
Gary Whitta said:
Wow, when Nintendo first-party shovelware like Wii Party doesn't chart, you KNOW the Wii bubble has burst.

Also, Rock Band 3 :( Is the plastic music genre finally over?

Hopefully, I'd rather more rhythm games like the oldskool Pa-Rappa type stuff.

Shurs

Jtyettis said:
MS did good job this year with it's portfolio, but next year who knows. They seem pretty confident in what is in the pipeline and suppose we shall see.

I felt that moving Gears 3 to fall indicated a lack of confidence in their upcoming lineup.

Edit: Not that it's a big deal for me as I still have a ton of games (Fable 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Castlevania, Assassins Creed: Brotherhood) that I still haven't gotten around to, in addition to my already huge 360 backlog.

szaromir

Banned
Shurs said:
I felt that moving Gears 3 to fall indicated a lack of confidence in their upcoming lineup.

Edit: Not that it's a big deal for me as I still have a ton of games (Fable 3, Fallout: New Vegas, Castlevania, Assassins Creed: Brotherhood) that I still haven't gotten around to, in addition to my already huge 360 backlog.
Or maybe they didn't want to compete with Homefront, Crysis 2, Bulletstorm, Brink and a couple of others Q1 shooters.

DR2K

Banned
duk said:
consumers choose quality > quantity it seems

:lol No, and not just because the exclusive X360 line up is shitty in comparison to well any exclusive lineup. It's never the case. I mean the #1 game this month is an annual sports game, the number 2 game is still in its beta phase, and the number 3 game is just another FPS.

-PXG-

Those DJ Hero 2 numbers are terrible. Dear lord. Can't wait to get it for like $10 in a month. But Shred...WOW. :lol

kswiston

jim-jam bongs said:
Also, if it's the same in the US as it is in Australia, the bulk of retail purchases of core PC games are juggernauts like The Sims, WOW and the expansions simply because so many people are buying them, and the type of people buying them are generally not aware of DD. That would definitely be enough to push the average to 50/50 in spite of many other games like NV being predominately DD.

I was going to say this. The Stores that still stock PC games in Ontario (best buy, Futureshop, etc) often have more copies of the Diablo 2 Battlechest on hand than they have copies of NEW PC GAME RELEASE XX.

Here were the Top 10 best selling PC games at retail last year:

1. The Sims 3 - Electronic Arts
2. World of Warcraft: Wrath of the Lich King - Blizzard
3. The Sims 2 Double Deluxe - Electronic Arts
4. World of Warcraft: Battle Chest - Blizzard
5. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 - Infinity Ward/Activision
6. World of Warcraft - Blizzard
7. The Sims 3: World Adventures - Electronic Arts
8. Spore - Electronic Arts
9. Dragon Age: Origins - BioWare/EA
10. Empire: Total War - The Creative Assembly/Sega

WoW and the Sims games take up 6 of the top 10. I'm sure if we had the top 20 we would find Burning Crusade, more Sims expansions, and maybe Warcraft III or Diablo II battlechests. Retail is skewed heavily towards a few mega-franchises and bargain bin stuff.

szaromir

Banned
Shurs said:
Gears doesn't compete with any other games.
It kinda does, even though all the games are listed are smaller brands/new IPs. Epic particularly might be interested to give Bulletstorm as might exposure as possible, looming GoW3 release wouldn't help that too much.

Shurs

szaromir said:
It kinda does, even though all the games are listed are smaller brands/new IPs. Epic particularly might be interested to give Bulletstorm as might exposure as possible, looming GoW3 release wouldn't help that too much.

Sure.

Why For?

Banned
Kintaro said:
M.A.G
White Knight Chronicles
Heavy Rain
God of War III
Modnation Racers
Kung Fu Rider
Sports Champions
Start the Party
Gran Turismo 5
The Shoot
TV Superstars

Microsoft's was...

Alan Wake
Crackdown 2
Fable III
Kinect Sports
Kinectimals
Kinect Adventures
Kinect Joy Ride

Halo was huge of course.

Don't think this post achieved what intended to.

Kintaro

Worships the porcelain goddess
shwimpy said:
Other than Heavy Rain, GT5 and GoW3, nothing really screams out at the consumers. Would've been better if SOCOM 4 and LBP2 was released on their original dates.... but at least we're getting a ridiculous 2011 lineup.

Who knows what screams out to consumers now besides established IPs or shooting people.

I wasn't trying to achieve much with the post btw. I was just listing the titles. Forgot ME2 and Splinter Cell: Conviction since I figured it was 1st party only. Son'y year after the good start did sputter out while MS spaced out titles well. On the flipside, Sony's 2011 is crazy.

Either way, it is what it is. Not like any of these companies are going anywhere. Only developers are the ones getting fucked in the ass. :lol

duk

Banned
DR2K said:
:lol No, and not just because the exclusive X360 line up is shitty in comparison to well any exclusive lineup. It's never the case. I mean the #1 game this month is an annual sports game, the number 2 game is still in its beta phase, and the number 3 game is just another FPS.

I am not talking about that list, I am just saying in general. Or at least I'd hope consumers would.

Why For?

Banned
Kintaro said:
Who knows what screams out to consumers now besides established IPs or shooting people.

I wasn't trying to achieve much with the post btw. I was just listing the titles. Forgot ME2 and Splinter Cell: Conviction since I figured it was 1st party only. Son'y year after the good start did sputter out while MS spaced out titles well. On the flipside, Sony's 2011 is crazy.

Either way, it is what it is. Not like any of these companies are going anywhere. Only developers are the ones getting fucked in the ass. :lol

Not sure, but it didn't look good.

You added mostly what amounts to garbage on the PS3, and left out quite a few 360 titles (Dance Central, Kinectimals is lol), which made it look like your post was an attempt at something it probably wasn't meant to be.

Not sure about 2011 from either end to be honest. I haven't bought a PS3 game since God of War 3, and I won't buy inFamous 2 until I platinum inFamous, so not sure how many games I'll be buying on any of the consoles next year.

I'm moving into my house (which is currently being built) next year so I won't be able to buy the same number of titles I normally would, so basically whatever I do decide to buy, REALLY has to be worth it.

Right now, only Marvel vs Capcom 3 is the game I know 100% I'm buying next year, and that'll be on 360 only because all my multiplats are on 360. I'm sure there's others, it's just that MvC3 is all I can think of right now.

FrankT

Shurs said:

I'd say it was a lack of confidence in the fall lineup yea. I mean they always have a big first party shooter in the fall. The only other options and/or rumors were 343 Halo or Perfect Dark. The former I don't suspect is close to ready and the latter who knows if Rare will do anything core from here on out (or strong enough to compete in this sector), which I did think otherwise. As far as the full year it seems we definitely do not know some stuff yet which the UK boss seems to suggest or a nine month hole really does exist, which would not be pleasant. I would bet on the former with perhaps some reveals as IGN rumors of some big action titles at the VGAs. Who would be doing these games? Guess is as good as mine. I mean it's similar to Sony this year save Mod Nations from GOW to GT5. Still until MS announces something for spring/summer it's anyones guess.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
speculawyer said:

According to Amir0x it's not really a game.

YTD

DS: 4,557,500
PSP: 944,324
360: 3,534,089
PS3: 2,593,900
Wii: 3,389,900

Doesn't look like DS will surpass last years sales, since it was at ~6 million by October.

PSP continues to do atrocious. This time last year it was at ~1.5 million, meaning there is a strong chance it won't sell over 2 million for the year (sold only ~950k between November and December last year). This would be the first time for a major video game system not in its launch year nor with a replacement out to sell under 2 million in a year since the GCN (1,557,673) in 2005. That sentence was contrived but hopefully you got my point.

360 is looking to have its best year. Sales have been stagnant since 2007, selling around 4.7 million each year. They sold ~2.1 million last year in November and December, so by the end of the year sales should easily be over 5 million. Pretty impressive for its fifth full year at retail.

PS3 is on track to have a modest increase from last year. By October it was at ~2.3 million.

I don't think I have to explain that Wii sales have floundered. 360 now has a ~150k lead over it for YTD sales.

LTD

DS: 43,284,258
PSP: 17,781,860
360: 22,165,075
PS3: 13,722,196
Wii: 30,524,281

szaromir said:

Yeah, remember that Epic doesn't want to compete with other titles that are using the Unreal Engine. It's in their best interest to make sure games using their engine has the best possible sales scenario.

Kintaro said:
M.A.G
White Knight Chronicles
Heavy Rain
God of War III
Modnation Racers
Kung Fu Rider
Sports Champions
Start the Party
Gran Turismo 5
The Shoot
TV Superstars

Microsoft's was...

Alan Wake
Crackdown 2
Fable III
Kinect Sports
Kinectimals
Kinect Adventures
Kinect Joy Ride

Halo was huge of course.

It's not the size of the list, but the motion of the ocean that counts.

2real4tv

Rhindle said:
That's true overall, although I think the perception is that Kinect has reasonable software backing, with a good 4-5 games worth buying.

Relatively speaking, Sony doesn't really give a crap about Move - or at least, isn't willing to make a real investment in it. I don't think that was lost on consumers.

I went to BB last week and the Move display was offline and that was with a SONY rep there for the 3D TV's :S. Maybe it was out of his jurisdiction but you would think he would make sure all SONY products are being displayed correctly.

bluehat9

Did Tony Hawk come overpriced with another plastic accessory? that number is actually kind of depressing.

In regards to sony and move, some anecdotal evidence (and we all know that's the best, most accurate/telling kind), both my sister and mom asked where they could get the wii remote with the glowing ball on the end. they didn't even know the commercials were for PS3 and said they looked exactly like wii commercials.

And finally, nice numbers for nba2k11. I wonder how big a part Jordan was to the sales (and whether they'll keep him around next year)?

2real4tv

I know its not 100% SONY fault's but I can't help but be disappointed in alot of missed opportunities. I mean they have a crap load of sequels they could fall back on from the ps2 days. Also with the success of MSG4 why couldn't they have secured a exclusive sequel or something from Konami?

Maybe games just takes to long to make. I wonder if we see an improvement on the cycle time(s) of games next gen? I doubt it because games will probably be even more complex.

Mrbob

I believe NBA2K11 shown the power of marketing at work, and the pull Jordan still has. After last year's disaster of a game I'd say the sales increase is 99 percent on Jordan. Good thing 2K11 is solid this year.

Also, wow at PSP. I don't know what Sony can do at this point to resurrect the platform.

Zoe

2real4tv said:
Maybe games just takes to long to make. I wonder if we see an improvement on the cycle time(s) of games next gen? I doubt it because games will probably be even more complex.

We've seen what happens when devs only have two years to pump out installments.

JaxJag

Banned
speculawyer said:
Maybe they can. But if I held shares in ATVI, I'd be a bit worried. But Kotick has been an incredible success so perhaps he can keep the train rolling.

So far they've been finding series to replace the franchises they ran into the ground.

I'm assuming they believe their next "replacement" is the Bungie game.

Top Bottom