• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2010 [Update 6: Rock Band 3]

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Didn't NPD report that DD makes up half the PC market now? I guess NV could have theoretically sold ~200k if you factor in digital sales which makes it fairly close to the PS3 version.

Ashes

Banned
Cheech said:
Retail PC gaming is in such dire straits because:

1. Many PC gamers have migrated to console gamers.

2. PC gamers are buying their games digitally.

I wouldn't go as high as 3:1, but I can easily believe that if you combined all the digital distribution services, you would see 2:1 sales for Fallout: NV. Unlike console gamers, I believe the stereotypical PC gamer hangs out on GAF. And we are buying our games digitally.

90% by gaf standards use or have used steam. don't really know how to translate that to anything meaningful. Though it does suggest that steam holds the pc sales cards and would be the best place to ask for such stats. Shoot them an email, they might respond...

Pooya

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/..._Sales_iPod_Touch_Cannibalizing_Handhelds.php
According to Wedbush's Michael Pachter, it was the contraction in handheld unit sales, down 34 percent, that helped created a significant drain on the hardware market, although unit sales of Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Wii were together down 25 percent year over year

We can find PSP numbers from this,
Oct 2009 PSP+DS -> -34% -> - DS# OCt 2010 = PSP # 2010

EDIT:
Oct 2009
# NDS - 457,600
# PSP - 174,600

-34%
Oct 2010 handheld sales

DS= 342k
PSP=~75k

Ashes1396 said:
90% by gaf standards use or have used steam. don't really know how to translate that to anything meaningful. Though it does suggest that steam holds the pc sales cards and would be the best place to ask for such stats. Shoot them an email, they might respond...

We already know that digital makes about 50 percent of PC sales, so just multiply by 2. No need to ask steam.

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
eek Move is bombing not really surprising, nice work Halo and Fable(Fable is my zelda), points and laughs at people who think kinect sales are a blip.

The age of the Wii is now done, had they built it to last from a power\technology perspective maybe it would have had some more legs but at this point in the US its going to be a steep downhill decline.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Mr. B Natural said:
We already know that digital makes about 50 percent of PC sales, so just multiply by 2. No need to ask steam.

But the problem is that there are lots of games where DD is 90% of the sales and lots of games where DD is 10% of the sales (hint: Fallout NV is closer to the former than the latter)

Arnie

TheSeks said:
So basically:

-People like Oblivion with Guns in Vegas.
-More people bought it on PS3 (despite it being gimped) over PC, while 360 continued to lead (not really a shocker)
-Hardcore gamers on PS3 can't give two fucks about waggle (WHAT A SHOCKER!</sarcasm>)
-Console games are moving toward online play as that's where the money/playerbase is wanting to go.

Well, gee. You didn't really need to be Pachter to be able to tell this.

The worst trend above is the shift from single-player games. I can understand older/30+ gamers wanting games like Call of Duty for quick 10 minute sessions and I can't blast them for it, but paying $60 for the "flavor of the month shooter" that is online-only doesn't sit well with me on consoles when their servers can be shut down without any notice and there is no back-up plan to let owners on the console verison play it elsewhere. :|

That, and I like singleplayer games.
While I agree, if Battlefield 3 has a singleplayer I will be pissed. And you say it isn't a shocker that hardcore PS3 gamers don't like waggle, but hardcore PS3 gamers have been touting Move's precision as the next major leap forwards in gaming for months now. I guess Sony just haven't informed the audience of this precision properly, or incentivised the purchase to that audience. The delay for Socom 4 won't help Move sales this holiday.
dolemite said:
Pachter estimates Move sales for the last 6 weeks in the US at ~400k.
http://www.mcvuk.com/news/41847/Move-sales-pegged-at-400k-in-US
Yikes. Contrasted with Kinect's estimated 1,000,000 (don't know the breakdown of US contribution) in the US in 10 days, 400,000 in 42 seems low.

Stumpokapow said:
But the problem is that there are lots of games where DD is 90% of the sales and lots of games where DD is 10% of the sales (hint: Fallout NV is closer to the former than the latter)

Stump, would you mind updating the OP with new info, or is that exclusively Nirolak's job?

szaromir

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
How do you know that? I'd guess Fallout might be actually retail heavy as it's a big release as opposed to more niche titles.

I don't think NPD's estimated 50% figure has any ground. Valve didn;t share numbers with NPD.

LCfiner

markatisu said:
Ouch, complete and total rejection by PS3 owners. Maybe it will pick up over Christmas

well, almost everything picks up over Xmas, but if it hasn't caught fire now, it's not going to explode over the holidays. plus now it has to contend with the Kinect marketing blitz.

Stumpokapow said:
Pulled that out of what exactly?

Edit: What Szar said about retail. Also, steam numbers are world numbers.

Mr. B Natural said:
doesn't matter if he did or didn't pull it out of anything.

we know the average (DD accounts for half), but not the standard deviation, which means that just doubling the figure and saying that's a good estimate, is shooting in the dark.

it's only a good estimate if the standard deviation is small. if the standard deviation is high, it's a terrible estimate with a huge margin of error.

plagiarize said:
doesn't matter if he did or didn't pull it out of anything.

we know the average (DD accounts for half), but not the standard deviation, which means that just doubling the figure and saying that's a good estimate, is shooting in the dark.

it's only a good estimate if the standard deviation is small. if the standard deviation is high, it's a terrible estimate with a huge margin of error.

Yes, it's estimates based on average. If you can do better please give out an answer. Saying it makes up for 10% is silly and based on nothing.

Multiply by 2 and be done with it. No need to go any further than that cause we can't.

If women typically buy something twice as much as men and we only knew only the men's sales numbers of a product then we can estimate total sales on those figures. What's so complicated about that? Are we gonna know exact numbers? No. So what? Use the data we have to interpolate. Fallout New Vegas isn't some weird game that warrants expecting some strange exception.

Garjon

LCfiner said:
well, almost everything picks up over Xmas, but if it hasn't caught fire now, it's not going to explode over the holidays. plus now it has to contend with the Kinect marketing blitz.
I wouldn't say the Move is a disaster, but it doesn't appear to be doing brilliantly. I'm not surprised since the first big Move title won't release until (at least) 4 months after release. While I don't like the current crop of Kinect ads, I can easily admit that they are far more effective than the Move ads (at least around here). The thing is Move could be a success eventually if Sony keeps supporting it; it could act as an alternative control option in core games, which is evidently the type of crowd the PS3 is courting. Anyway, I really hope NPD finally give us a bit more information on this at the end of the year, though I'm not keeping my fingers crossed. Especially since Pachter has been acting rather suspiciously around these numbers.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
I'm not sure how Pachter's move estimate tallies with Sony's claim that Move bundle sales were up 15% month on month. Unless his September estimate was wildly inaccurate.

edit - oh the PS3 bundle with Move increased 15%. That makes more sense in this context.

Owzers

I already have two wiimotes/nunchucks, 4 ps3 controllers, and 4 360 controllers. I'm not in the mood to spend another $200 on a set of ps3 motion controllers just to play one or two games.

Mr. B Natural said:
Yes, it's estimates based on average. If you can do better please give out an answer. Saying it makes up for 10% is silly and based on nothing.

Multiply by 2 and be done with it. No need to go any further than that cause we can't.

If women typically buy something twice as much as men and we only knew only the men's sales numbers of a product then we can estimate total sales on those figures. What's so complicated about that? Are we gonna know exact numbers? No. So what? Use the data we have to interpolate. Fallout New Vegas isn't some weird game that warrants expecting some strange exception.

what good is an estimate like that? it tells us absolutely nothing.

we have no idea about types of games compared to percentage of DD sales, so you absolutely cannot say 'it doesn't warrant some strange exception'.

we know DD accounts for half of the total sales of PC games. some games are retail only. some are DD only. we do not know what percentage of the market those games make up. lets say, retail only is much larger than DD only. that would mean that retail games also available by DD sell more than twice on average than they do at retail.

putting the two things together tells us NOTHING.

it's an estimate based on a vast generalisation.

it could have sold substantially more than twice as much overall. it could have sold substantially less the more than twice overall, so why combine the two things?

we do not have nearly enough information to say that this is a good generalisation.

you may as well take the average that a DD game sells and add it ontop of what New Vegas sold. that would be just as 'accurate' an estimate.

GhaleonEB

miladesn said:
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/..._Sales_iPod_Touch_Cannibalizing_Handhelds.php

According to Wedbush's Michael Pachter, it was the contraction in handheld unit sales, down 34 percent, that helped created a significant drain on the hardware market, although unit sales of Xbox 360, PlayStation 3 and Wii were together down 25 percent year over year
This only helps a little bit, but it refines Wii sales a bit:

The three were 1.077m last year, so down 25% means they were 807k total, and backing out 360 sales that leaves 482k for the PS3 and Wii.

From the OP

New! PS3 - Under 250k
New! Wii - At least 204k​

If the PS3 was 250k, that means the Wii was at least 232k, not 204k.

Edit: I'm LTTP, but at least got the math right. Exact figures on the previous page.

Dragon

Banned
Stumpokapow said:

Do we have concrete DD for Fallout NV? Maybe I missed them in the OP.

FrankT

lawblob said:
How is Reach selling compared to Halo 3? Seems like pretty lackluster numbers...

3.6 million to 3.7 million save the bundled units. Ehh, I'd say most any developer/publisher would be more than pleased with first month in just the US. It ain't right at par, but close enough at this point.

GhaleonEB said:

The three were 1.077m last year, so down 25% means they were 807k total, and backing out 360 sales that leaves 482k for the PS3 and Wii.

From the OP

New! PS3 - Under 250k

Yea we got the numbers earlier. All the consoles. Those are right.

Boy, Move is really going to live or die by first party effort. And it doesn't really seem like anyone else is going to commit heavily without some help from Sony. The optional controller path isn't going to work very well to get them out there in large numbers.

Pooya

GhaleonEB said:

From the OP

New! PS3 - Under 250k

OP is not up to date, we have Wii numbers, same as yours.

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
Definitely not a case of being able to just double the retail number to figure out overall New Vegas PC sales just because DD overtook retail this year and we're at a ~50:50 split in units PC-wide. The PC market is broad and varied and its DD segment is evolving rapidly, way too many variables at play.

GhaleonEB

Jtyettis said:
3.6 million to 3.7 million save the bundled units. Ehh, I'd say most any developer/publisher would be more than pleased with first month in just the US. It ain't right at par, but close enough at this point.

Yea we got the numbers earlier. All the consoles. Those are right.
Ah, I missed it, but see them now. I read back a little ways but not far enough. Thanks.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
MightyHedgehog said:
Boy, Move is really going to live or die by first party effort. And it doesn't really seem like anyone else is going to commit heavily without some help from Sony. The optional controller path isn't going to work very well to get them out there in large numbers.

Luckily for it, it is very cheap to support. It seems to have the interest of developers for that reason, there's a lot of supporting content in the pipe. In terms of retail performance, I'd wait for after the holidays, or the first 6 months and better indications of total worldwide adoption before making any grand pronouncements on it. Yves Guillemot may prove to be right though.

verbum

DMeisterJ said:
Does Pachter get actual Accessory numbers? I know these are his estimates, but is he privy to actual NPD Move numbers?
I'd bet his company has a subscription to NPD. I think Move will sell steadily the next year and Sony is not one to abandon a project. Look at the PSP. I can see Sony underwriting development of Move games, I'm sure they did that with the PSP.

DMeisterJ

Banned
verbum said:
I'd bet his company has a subscription to NPD. I think Move will sell steadily the next year and Sony is not one to abandon a project. Look at the PSP. I can see Sony underwriting development of Move games, I'm sure they did that with the PSP.

That's what I figured, because him saying 'estimate' doesn't make sense if you were able to accurately give us PS3 numbers last month... Why not just come out and tell us exact Move numbers?

gofreak said:
Luckily for it, it is very cheap to support. It seems to have the interest of developers for that reason, there's a lot of supporting content in the pipe. In terms of retail performance, I'd wait for after the holidays, or the first 6 months and better indications of total worldwide adoption before making any grand pronouncements on it. Yves Guillemot may prove to be right though.
Oh, I'm not saying it's dead yet. However, I don't have any reason to believe it's going to pick up later when there is virtually nothing, software-wise, out there to sell it. Sony is and has been dropping the ball with it's introduction as far as software is concerned, IMO. And if they've got something more than patches for old titles that have long since dropped off of the top ten lists, they would be very wise to start letting people know it so that there's a horizon to look towards when considering the purchase of the controller.

jvm

Gamasutra.
DMeisterJ said:
Does Pachter get actual Accessory numbers? I know these are his estimates, but is he privy to actual NPD Move numbers?
No. He does not get the accessory data. Only software and hardware. Move and Kinect are counted in the hardware column (when sold bundled with a system) and counted as accessory (when sold alone or bundled with a game).

Considering most of the Move enabled stuff won't hit until next year, it's not surprising sales are so low. Should have had at least one big release with Move support to get people to try it.

Dunlop

jvm said:
No. He does not get the accessory data. Only software and hardware. Move and Kinect are counted in the hardware column (when sold bundled with a system) and counted as accessory (when sold alone or bundled with a game).

On this line of thought, why is WiiPlay counted as a game whereas Move/Kinect which both come with games count as an accessory?

Or is that not the case anymore

DMeisterJ

Banned
jvm said:

Oh, okay, so we still have no real clue on how Move is doing re: sold to consumers.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
MightyHedgehog said:
Oh, I'm not saying it's dead yet. However, I don't have any reason to believe it's going to pick up later when there is virtually nothing, software-wise, out there to sell it. Sony is and has been dropping the ball with it's introduction as far as software is concerned, IMO. And if they've got something more than patches for old titles that have long since dropped off of the top ten lists, they would be very wise to start letting people know it so that there's a horizon to look towards when considering the purchase of the controller.

I agree that a stronger launch lineup would have been desirable. On the other hand I don't agree theres nothing out or nothing coming to sell it. I think Sony's strategy is that if it's put into a lot of games, eventually most (edit - or a lot of) people will have a reason to pick it up. While it's true that they are not forcing the upgrade for most of this content, I think they're hoping that a lot of people will sooner or later have some or other game with some or other implementation of it that causes them to want it. They've said it's a slow burn for them, I think they're hoping every time a major game comes along that supports it, more people will hop on board. This isn't exclusively the strategy, but I do think they intend it to be a very integrated controller, not something that sits out as a separate platform. That's a cheaper gamble, and I think it'll probably work in terms of maintaining that kind of integrated support at least.

(edit - on a side note, a lot depends on how Sony market's this support in games too next year. Will, for example, they market Killzone 3 as a 'move' game? Will they push that as their 'chosen' way to play in ads and stuff? Things like that would certainly help Move, even if it's not the only way to play these games.)

Zen

Banned
It's weird that Patcher said "Move sold below expectations' then 'it sold more than I thought and they should sell 5 million by years end' now 'pegs move at 400k sales in 6 weeks in US). 5 million is WW obviously, but still, it seems like his statements are very disconnected from one another.

DMeisterJ said:
Oh, okay, so we still have no real clue on how Move is doing re: sold to consumers.
it's going to be very tricky to figure that out, unless we get some high profile retail exclusives that require Move.

i think we're going to see Dance Central and Kinect Sports do well in november, maybe both in the top ten even... either way we should have better software indicators this time as the best game isn't sold on the PSN or bundled as it was with move.

hopefully they'll continue to commit support for Move in at least first and second party stuff going forwards. i'm hoping they'll carry it over to the new system too.

i really hope we get a breakdown on EA Active 2 of how the different SKUs do.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Zen said:
It's weird that Patcher said "Move sold below expectations' then 'it sold more than I thought and they should sell 5 million by years end' now 'pegs move at 400k sales in 6 weeks in US). 5 million is WW obviously, but still, it seems like his statements are very disconnected from one another.

He expects 3m for Move WW by end of January. He said it sold under expectations at launch, but still expects it to do alright over the holidays and drive hardware. I kind of doubt it'll drive hardware in the US this holiday - I think they'll have a fairly normal Xmas bump, and GT5 might even be a bigger factor there - but maybe elsewhere it'll help sell units more.

Stumpokapow

listen to the mad man
Mr. B Natural said:

szaromir said:
How do you know that? I'd guess Fallout might be actually retail heavy as it's a big release as opposed to more niche titles.

Simply go to any store that sells PC games and you can tell that the type of PC games that sell at retail are generally budget bundles, hidden object games and other BigFish-style "casual" games, lower profile adventure games (particularly anything published by "The Adventure Company").

It's the majority of what's stocked. It's the majority of what's sold. It's the majority of the shelf space. This isn't a criticism or a bitch or a whine on my part, by the way. I have no doubt that Fallout NV was by far the biggest PC retail title for the month--but for every Fallout there are many 5k-10k selling budget titles that make their money in Wal-Mart budget bins.

MightyHedgehog said:

I'll make a move (
sorry
) if MLB 11 has strong support for it.

To me the issue of Move vs Kinnect is not just one of Move having no "big" games for it. I think you can safely say that unless you consider Dance Central to be a big title Kinnect is not that much better off.

I think the bigger issue is that casual Joe Public sees the Move as just another Wii-type experience and they've already been there and done that. At least Kinnect has the appearance of being something different. Although WE know the Move has many advantages over Wii, to the casual observer I'm sure it just looks like a me-too clone.

szaromir

Banned
Stumpokapow said:
Simply go to any store that sells PC games and you can tell that the type of PC games that sell at retail are generally budget bundles, hidden object games and other BigFish-style "casual" games, lower profile adventure games (particularly anything published by "The Adventure Company").

It's the majority of what's stocked. It's the majority of what's sold. It's the majority of the shelf space. This isn't a criticism or a bitch or a whine on my part, by the way. I have no doubt that Fallout NV was by far the biggest PC retail title for the month--but for every Fallout there are many 5k-10k selling budget titles that make their money in Wal-Mart budget bins.
Things are totally different in my country. Games like Fallout are the bestsellers also in retail PC market and make a significant part of the market, though maybe that's because DD is a curiosity for now.

Top Bottom