• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2010 [Update 6: Rock Band 3]

Owzers

Chris1964 said:
Wii Party: 150,000
Kirby's Epic Yarn: 100,000
NBA Jam: 50,000
Shaun White Skateboarding: 6,000

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6284189.html

O__________________________O

Donkey Kong and Epic Mickey, good luck.

PSP........i just bought kingdom hearts birth by sleep from amazon for $19.99, it better be good or i will mock your low hardware sales. 75k? Ugh zombie system is after me, run!

Chris1964 said:
Wii Party: 150,000
Kirby's Epic Yarn: 100,000
NBA Jam: 50,000
Shaun White Skateboarding: 6,000

http://www.gamespot.com/news/6284189.html
NBA Jam bombed as well? Rough month for EA.

Less than 6k for Shaun White? Wow.

And I don't think we have an exact number for Wii Party.
In his own note to investors, Wedbush Morgan analyst Michael Pachter said Kirby's Epic Yarn was slightly off his estimate of 100,000 units, while Wii Party fell further short of his 150,000 projection. While Wilson didn't weigh in on those games in particular, he did note Nintendo first-party sales combined to bring in 44 percent less revenue than in the previous October (with similar declines expected in November and December).

That just tells us it sold less than 150k. "Fell further short" is pretty vague.

So it's:

Wii Party: Less than 150,000
Kirby's Epic Yarn: ~100,000
NBA Jam: Less than 50,000
Shaun White Skateboarding: Less than 6,000

Pooya

Is it me or we are getting more numbers in this new NPD than before :lol

if what creamsuger posted earlier in this thread is true then
Vanquish < Enslaved 360 < 50k ?

Zoe

OldJadedGamer said:
Uncharted 1: Nov 2007
Uncharted 2: Oct 2009

Less than two years and didn't seem to affect the game's quality.

Resistance 1: Nov 2006
Resistance 2: Nov 2008

CoD World at War: Nov 2008
CoD Black Ops: Nov 2010

Fallout 3: Oct 2008
New Vegas: Oct 2010

jambo

sillymonkey321 said:
O__________________________O

Donkey Kong and Epic Mickey, good luck.
Donkey Kong and Mickey Mouse are much better known brands when it comes to the general public, so they'll sell a lot better.

hamchan

Zoe said:
We've seen what happens when devs only have two years to pump out installments.
They make good games?

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood being one of the best games of the year with a dev time of leas than 12 months leads me to believe if a dev is good enough they can make a good game, even with constrained time.

hamchan said:
They make good games?

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood being one of the best games of the year with a dev time of leas than 12 months leads me to believe if a dev is good enough they can make a good game, even with constrained time.
Created by one of, if not the largest team in game development history.

Not everyone can do that.

DuckRacer

Zoe said:
Resistance 1: Nov 2006
Resistance 2: Nov 2008

CoD World at War: Nov 2008
CoD Black Ops: Nov 2010

Fallout 3: Oct 2008
New Vegas: Oct 2010
Resistance 1 didn't even have two years to begin with and turned out great, Black Ops is the best CoD since CoD4 (and is fine anyhow) and Obsidian :lol :lol :lol.

Forkball

I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't shoved Wii Party down our throats. It did well in Japan (over a million since July), and you'd think it would be just as popular in America, but I haven't seen any advertising about it and was surprised to even see it on shelves earlier this month.

miladesn said:

I'd like to hope that NPD are seeing all this information being collected and decide that the new way of doing things is ridiculous. The numbers find a way out, we've had them for a day(?) and the OP is as full as it is. If people want the info someone will spill. It was fine the way it was.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
ShockingAlberto said:
Created by one of, if not the largest team in game development history.

Not everyone can do that.
Isn't it basically one massive 1000+ person studio. Of course multiple projects are running through it, but they can easily focus a large number of those people at anytime to a single one.

Banned
ICallItFutile said:
PS3 is on track to have a modest increase from last year. By October it was at ~2.3 million.

The PS3 has been down 31% for the last 2 months. If that continues for November and December they will have a decrease for 2010.

Crazy since the PS3 was $100 cheaper for 8 of those months this year.

Zoe

DuckRacer said:
Resistance 1 didn't even have two years to begin with and turned out great, Black Ops is the best CoD since CoD4 (and is fine anyhow) and Obsidian :lol :lol :lol.

The general GAF consensus on R2 (surely that's what you meant?) is pretty low, Black Ops PS3 declined in technical quality, and New Vegas is a buggy mess.

(I'm not familiar with Obsidian's track record, so maybe you're agreeing with me there)

These are high profile franchises that could have seen better results with more development time. Cutting down the dev cycle would do more harm than good.

Zoe said:
The general GAF consensus on R2 (surely that's what you meant?) is pretty low, Black Ops PS3 declined in technical quality, and New Vegas is a buggy mess.

(I'm not familiar with Obsidian's track record, so maybe you're agreeing with me there)

These are high profile franchises that could have seen better results with more development time. Cutting down the dev cycle would do more harm than good.
Obsidian's games are infamous for bugs. KOTOR 2, Alpha Protocol, New Vegas, etc.

legend166

Forkball said:
I'm surprised Nintendo hasn't shoved Wii Party down our throats. It did well in Japan (over a million since July), and you'd think it would be just as popular in America, but I haven't seen any advertising about it and was surprised to even see it on shelves earlier this month.

I think it's the type of game they'll advertise over Christmas.

Honestly, I think they should have stuck with the Mario Party brand instead of switching over to Wii Party.

Zachack

jambo said:
Donkey Kong and Mickey Mouse are much better known brands when it comes to the general public, so they'll sell a lot better.
Wii Party, and the shelf space I've seen dedicated to it, should have commanded far more than sub-150k sales.
Obsidian's games are infamous for bugs. KOTOR 2, Alpha Protocol, New Vegas, etc.
And they didn't even make Fallout 3 so the comparison is even more ridiculous.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
ItWasMeantToBe19 said:
Vanquish selling a lot less than 50k across all platforms signals that the death of gaming is near.
Maybe launching the same day as New Vegas wasn't such a great idea.

Barrage

Does anyone have sales numbers for previous Kirby games in North America?

People really need to learn to stop labelling a Wii game a bomb after it's only been out for 1 month...

wrowa

I think Wii Party's problem is that it's simply not a very appealing game. There are a billion minigame party collections available for the Wii already and just by looking at it Wii Party makes the impression of being yet another one.

Why should people eat it up? Even the best marketing can't make a game appealing when most people are already tired of the genre.

Karma said:
The PS3 has been down 31% for the last 2 months. If that continues for November and December they will have a decrease for 2010.

Crazy since the PS3 was $100 cheaper for 8 of those months this year.

But the slim and 100$ price drop was in september 2009, and a lot of people was expecting that price drop to buy a PS3. So it's normal to sell less this last two months than the sept-oct of past year (because of the increase of sales that the price drop gave for those months).

It's not like PS3 is selling bad these months (being US and costing double than 360 cheapest SKU), but it seems when you compare it with those months of past year. In the end of the year, YTD 2010 will be bigger than YTD 2009.

Barrage said:
Does anyone have sales numbers for previous Kirby games in North America?

People really need to learn to stop labelling a Wii game a bomb after it's only been out for 1 month...
Well it's only been 4 years, learning takes time.

SapientWolf said:
Maybe launching the same day as New Vegas wasn't such a great idea.

I don't think New Vegas was the reason for Vanquish's lack of sales. It's a fluke when Platinum/Clover creates that appeals to the mainstream. It's a fluke when platinum makes a game that can sell more than 50k on a single console in a single region.

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
miladesn said:

if what creamsuger posted earlier in this thread is true then
Vanquish < Enslaved 360 < 50k ?

Outsold by Madworld... :lol ( :( )

Barrage

wrowa said:
I think Wii Party's problem is that it's simply not a very appealing game. There are a billion minigame party collections available for the Wii already and just by looking at it Wii Party makes the impression of being yet another one.

Why should people eat it up? Even the best marketing can't make a game appealing when most people are already tired of the genre.

Wii Party's problems:

1. The name is generic. Nintendo thinks when the casual public sees "Wii" they think "First Party Nintendo game." They don't.

2. Nintendo's brand of advertising has been completely co-opted. How many commercials do we see nowadays from Microsoft and Sony copying Nintendo's format of a family playing in front of a TV screen? Nintendo can't do the same concept with uglier graphics anymore. At least if it was Mario Party they could've sold based on brand recognition.

3. Saturation of party games on the Wii.

Nirolak said:
Significantly. :lol

Your latest update to the OP isn't technically correct. It should be:

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Basileus777 said:
Your latest update to the OP isn't technically correct. It should be:

Whoops, I fixed it in the list but not the quote.

Thanks, changing now.

Teetris said:
Kirby did better than I thought, DKCR should outsell it with ease tho
I think selling less than 500,000 as Nintendo's flagship holiday title would qualify as a major failure.

Zen

Banned
Holy Hell, EAs MMA game only did 45K? The middle ground is falling out of the American market worse than it is in Japan.

Top Bottom