• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2014 [Up3: All of Nintendo's 3DS million sellers]

Joeki11a

Banned
Can people stop being shocked that Xbox fanbase is supporting BUNGIE?.
You know the company are kings there. Only this gen they have PS fans now, but far from the loyal xbox supporters who would never have Halo if it wasnt for Bungie.

SunsetOverdrive would of sold amazing on PS4, keep it real insomiac has a fanbase on the PS world, ted price lost.

maxcriden

There were some hints they might be considering this between Miyamoto's software statements and an even older statement from Iwata about increasing the number of SKUs (hardware configurations), but essentially having them share a foundational platform base.

Now, this could mean common APIs that make porting between platforms easier, or it could mean they all use basically the same hardware a la iOS devices (especially last year, where the iPhone 5S, iPad Air, and iPad Mini 2 all used the same processor) and run all the same software despite being different form factors and products you can buy.

You can essentially sell people on the hardware configuration they like the most (or multiple if they want a home and portable version) and then just sell them games that work on any of the devices so you effectively only have to support one platform.

I see, thank you; I do remember reading that (most recently as part of the January investor briefing?). I think that plan could be good for them provided (a) we're not looking at iPad prices, and (b) there's some kind of more affordable console and portable bundle. Maybe $300 for a combined device, $150 for a portable and $200 for a console? That would be at impulse buy price, though. So maybe more like $200/$99/$150?

anthonyOA

All this means is a lot of people are missing out on Two of the best release this generation. Insane. And as for the childish "backed the wrong horse" nonsense, SO was likely turned by Sony. Still doesn't excuse backhanded comments. Sad that Assassins creed will outsell it.

You know the company are kings there. Only this gen they have PS fans now, but far from the loyal xbox supporters who would never have Halo if it wasnt for Bungie.

SunsetOverdrive would of sold amazing on PS4, keep it real insomiac has a fanbase on the PS world, ted price lost.

This man speaks the truth. No surprise bungie is getting support on Xbox platforms. It was a given

Looking at it logically (like the Bayonetta situation), would SO even exist if it weren't for MS offering to publish it? For it to be a multiplatform game, they need one of the big 3rd party pubs to step up to the plate, and we saw what a focus-tested mess FUSE turned out to be under EA's banner. Insomniac is already publishing a game with Sony next fall, they hedged their bets.

I think Sony would had backed them up if they would came up to them. But we don't really know what happened so there is always the benefit of the doubt. I really wish them well because they created my favorite shooter of last gen (Resistance: FoM).

Divesting is the opposite of investing. Essentially I think he means would the best option be to drop at least home console hardware, focus on their notable strength as a software developer, and try to make more money by getting on everything possible.

There are a lot of hardware companies in tech industries that have essentially transitioned to being service and/or IP based, which is what this would be similar to.

Even Microsoft for example is now putting out Office for free on iPad despite the fact they make their own tablet, and AMD and IBM don't have hardware foundries anymore.

my only problem with the guys who think Nintendo software would do well ported to every platform possible is the fact that I doubt these guys have been paying attention that Nintendo in fact has struggled to support both its home and portable hardware with timely software releases

they are now working on merging the platforms to make it easier

So I can't imagine current Nintendo teams being able to port a major AAA game like Zelda U to PS4 X1 and PC without falling on their faces

I would be very impressed if the current Nintendo could pull something like this off and the game did not turn out like shit for the effort

allan-bh

That's the problem of not knowing numbers. People assume that a game is a failure and we discuss that without actually know if is true.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I'm still not sure practically what a unified platform does for nintendo from a sales perspective. Their console business is kaput IMO unless there is very serious design reinvention (which is very possible). The handheld market is in irreversible and undeniable decline. What does a unified platform do except reduce nintendo's cost base? They are going to be facing revenue pressure for the foreseeable future. If the core idea is that one platform means nintendo can pad out the lineup a little easier--making it more feasible to "go it alone" as it were--then I think the long term objective should be dramatic investment to grow top line, not ebitda margins.

I don't really get the strategy but I am struggling to visualize the product. I am sure it will be great when it does come out.

But what they are doing with the 3ds is baffling to me. That thing wouldn't vroom if you put 60,000 volts in it.

I'm actually imagining a product that's effectively a palliative ease of their discomfort with dropping hardware while moving them into a position that better prepares them for a future where they might actually have to give up hardware and focus on designing games that work on a range of devices.

It wouldn't be very different than the Vita and Vita TV as they currently stand, or how an Android phone, Android tablet, and Android set top box can use the same content.

Now, obviously we've seen the home versions of those struggle, but you're essentially offering more options to customers for similar devices. Like if someone wants to play Mario Kart on a TV instead of a handheld, they have that option in this scenario.

Nintendo isn't acting in a way that to me indicates they actually have an aggressive concern for their top line growth or long term strategy, but rather trying to bandaid a bad situation while holding on to a business model that is no longer working. This is essentially a plan that works within the confines of that mindset.

AniHawk

You can essentially sell people on the hardware configuration they like the most (or multiple if they want a home and portable version) and then just sell them games that work on any of the devices so you effectively only have to support one platform.

if this works, they would be able to make profitable hardware, or very inexpensive and accessible hardware, while also keeping development costs for software relatively low most of the time. next gen is probably the last for miyamoto and tezuka to make sure the next generation is prepped and ready to take over. we'll be hearing a lot more from koizumi, eguchi, and aonuma.

Yeah that sucks for insomniac. Ted price is awesome but he bet on the wrong horse and they lost bad. Hopefully MS will give them more money.

maxcriden

They've basically stated in recent investor conferences that at minimum they're launching one more home console.

This is solely a hypothetical discussion about the results of their current platform position.

Oh, that's news to me, I think. I'm glad to know it, but as we've been discussing, it seems like it would have to be a massive reinvention of some kind. I know Miyamoto made comments a few days ago that could be read as an oblique hint towards VR development but that seems like an unwise route for them to take (not that they haven't proven me wrong time and time again).

Sunset and Driveclub are both single SKU's. Nothing in the top ten besides Smash have releases on less than three.

Never mind not knowing the budget of these titles but being out of the Top Ten overall charts does not equal bomb. Especially if they're exclusive to one platform.

stryke

I think Sony would had backed them up if they would came up to them. But we don't really know what happened so there is always the benefit of the doubt. I really wish them well because they created my favorite shooter of last gen (Resistance: FoM).

I wouldn't be surprised if Sony were the first publisher to show them the door.

Hawk269

At least Sunset Overdrive has a reason to be not on the NPD with it coming out so late in the month/bundles not counting/on a single platform but Alien not making the list is tragic. I really enjoyed that game, it's a bummer to see it performing so badly.

That was a surprise. SO not being on there with only 4 days of sales is not shocking to me at all. The big shock was the EXCLUSIVE DRIVECLUB on PS4 that released early in October was not in the top 10. That is pretty shocking to me. The fact that there really is not a mainline racing game on the system and that it was exclusive and with the bazillion owners of PS4 that something like that should of cracked the top ten. That is the most shocking thing to me.

Granted there are the online issues that are not even remotely close to the stuff Halo is going through, what sucks is that the core game itself was pretty damn good. I earned all the stars in the game and never in 3 weeks got on-line. The game has great visuals, plays great and is just a lot of fun, but due to the issues it seems that PS4 owners said fuck it and did not even think about buying it.

TI82

Banned
Does npd also track preorders? Could be interesting to see preorders vs second week sales on shadow of mordor. I feel it was one of those weird ones where the second week sells more.

kswiston

Ugh why the fuck is kid Icarus not on that list?!

Kid Icarus is a niche game that Nintendo didn't bother to keep stocked in stores indefinitely like they did with most of the other titles on that list. I'm sure it did well for the type of game it is, similar to Fire Emblem.

Sunset and Driveclub are both single SKU's. Nothing in the top ten besides Smash have releases on less than three.

Never mind not knowing the budget of these titles but being out of the Top Ten overall charts does not equal bomb. Especially if they're exclusive to one platform.

I imagine digital sales could be decent on those games as well, they were/are advertised pretty heavily on their respective stores.

That's the problem of not knowing numbers. People assume that a game is a failure and we discuss that without actually know if is true.

MS pushed SO pretty big and unusual for that type of game. I expected it to do better and chart higher. I wish they count digital already like i thought they said a while ago, would get a better picture.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I see, thank you; I do remember reading that (most recently as part of the January investor briefing?). I think that plan could be good for them provided (a) we're not looking at iPad prices, and (b) there's some kind of more affordable console and portable bundle. Maybe $300 for a combined device, $150 for a portable and $200 for a console? That would be at impulse buy price, though. So maybe more like $200/$99/$150?
Actually, since set top boxes are effectively the internal hardware of a handheld/phone/tablet without the screen or cameras, they're usually cheaper than the handheld/phone/tablet.

Like the Vita costs $200, but the Vita TV is $100. Similarly, most set top boxes only cost $100, whereas the tablets with the same parts might cost $200 or more.

my only problem with the guys who think Nintendo software would do well ported to every platform possible is the fact that I doubt these guys have been paying attention that Nintendo in fact has struggled to support both its home and portable hardware with timely software releases

they are now working on merging the platforms to make it easier

So I can't imagine current Nintendo teams being able to port a major AAA game like Zelda U to PS4 X1 and PC without falling on their faces

I would be very impressed if the current Nintendo could pull something like this off and the game did not turn out like shit for the effort
There are obviously pains with any transition, though the same can easily be said for the situation they are in now.

NolbertoS

I totally forgot its NPD time. Was expecting a donut shape graph of some sorr, but then forgot Cream is AWOL :(. As expected MS PR before an NPD, means there gonna get killed in NPD. Don't think the PR softenened the blow though, now I guess its next month's NPD, that will make or break the Xbox brand moving forward, or else I don't think MS wants to settle for 2nd place if there 3rd party games are an afterthought on there system. Moneyhats can only last for so long. And damn SO not even top 5 is discouraging :(

GamerJM

Banned
That was a surprise. SO not being on there with only 4 days of sales is not shocking to me at all. The big shock was the EXCLUSIVE DRIVECLUB on PS4 that released early in October was not in the top 10. That is pretty shocking to me. The fact that there really is not a mainline racing game on the system and that it was exclusive and with the bazillion owners of PS4 that something like that should of cracked the top ten. That is the most shocking thing to me.

Granted there are the online issues that are not even remotely close to the stuff Halo is going through, what sucks is that the core game itself was pretty damn good. I earned all the stars in the game and never in 3 weeks got on-line. The game has great visuals, plays great and is just a lot of fun, but due to the issues it seems that PS4 owners said fuck it and did not even think about buying it.

It also apparently did worse than Bayonetta 2.

Synless

One of the games that deserved to chart didn't, you gamers are failures. Bayonetta did everything right and it still failed, I did my fucking part!

bad timing. very bad timing. should've stuck with sony, waited till this gen, released something, & then made their move once they saw how it was panning out...

BPoole

The NPD Group also confirmed that the Xbox One, PlayStation 4, and Wii U hardware made up 80 percent of the money spent on game-related products in October."
Happy to hear this. The faster those ancient gen 7 consoles become absolutely irrelevant, the better.

Their portable market is by far their most profitable sector. Additionally, it seems that portable devices in general are the way gaming and multimedia as a whole are going. I think the Wii U's successor will have the console be the tablet itself, with a cheaper Chromecast like device to play on the TV. That device might also be hooked up to a 3DS successor as well. Essentially it could act like a tablet device with buttons and a stick instead of some game controller with a screen.

That may be true, but the dedicated handheld market is still in decline, and unless something radical happens, I don't see that changing anytime soon. So tying whatever potential console-like thing to a portable device doesn't seem like such a great idea to me, I mean unless they plan on going full smartphone and tablet route, but that would probably be just as bad of an idea.

kazinova

I dunno, I see lots of people playing SO. I bought it digitally so I guess I'm part of the problem?

The further we go into this gen the less these game sales results are going to be representative, methinks.

Why are you shocked? Everyone was waiting for the PS+ edition

maxcriden

Actually, since set top boxes are effectively the internal hardware of a handheld/phone/tablet without the screen or cameras, they're usually cheaper than the handheld/phone/tablet.

Like the Vita costs $200, but the Vita TV is $100. Similarly, most set top boxes only cost $100, whereas the tablets with the same parts might cost $200 or more.

Oh, hmm. Thanks. It's funny to picture what a marketing switcheroo that would be for Nintendo.

Are you being patronising when you said it would of sold amazing ? Many folk didn't a have a good word to say about it on here, the biggest attention it got was about how slow it was, it's resolution or pew die pie being paid off to praise it in a stream.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
I'm actually sad to not see Alien Isolation up there. Not even top 10. Shit. Damn you horror fans.

Top Bottom