• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2014 [Up3: All of Nintendo's 3DS million sellers]

EL CUCO

Fuse. published by none other than EA
WrlHOpF.jpg

TomShoe

Banned
One of the games that deserved to chart didn't, you gamers are failures. Bayonetta did everything right and it still failed, I did my fucking part!

No way that game was going to chart.

The Platinum curse continues, and it will continue until they make a PS4 game.

kswiston

I dunno, I see lots of people playing SO. I bought it digitally so I guess I'm part of the problem?

The further we go into this gen the less these game sales results are going to be representative, methinks.

All of the other games in the top 10 are available digitally (well, other than Skylanders). What makes Sunset Overdrive extra special in that regard?

GamerJM

Banned
This is something that sounds shocking at face value, but if you cross checked sales in other regions (particularly UK) it doesn't really come off as that much of a surprise.

I know that Europe consists of more of the PS4's install base than the Wii U's and that racing games typically tend to sell a lot better in Europe, but it's still surprising considering Driveclub came out weeks earlier and considering how niche Bayonetta 2 is.

I dunno, I see lots of people playing SO. I bought it digitally so I guess I'm part of the problem?

The further we go into this gen the less these game sales results are going to be representative, methinks.
Eh, maybe.

But that still doesn't explain it's place, or lack of place, in the charts. If we assume more people are buying digitally, then surely all the other games have lost sales to digital too, so it should even out.

The charts are generally a pretty good indicator of how good a game is doing.

Numbers would be great, but we can't have everything.

I'm a bit afraid of breaking some type of unwritten rule here but seeing how slow this is moving I'll ask:

Am I the only one who remembers some email tags on that creamsugar last post stating he lost his source like it was some type of joke?

No. I asked in the last NPD thread, and in that Xbox PR thread (the one about almost shipping 10 million Xbones) and still never got an answer.

bad timing. very bad timing. should've stuck with sony, waited till this gen, released something, & then made their move once they saw how it was panning out...
Insomniac wants to keep the rights of their IP. That's a nono for Sony when they're funding it. So Insomniac went to MS. End of the story: Insomniac owns the Sunset Overdrive IP (and the game bombs).

WiiU getting shellacked has at least produced a lot of bitter miyamoto interviews.

Haha, yup. I am certainly loving it tbh.

And well Bayo2 is THE third party (second party?) exclusive of Wii U, so it outselling a minor PS4 exclusive like Driveclub isnt that shocking.

I know that Europe consists of more of the PS4's install base than the Wii U's and that racing games typically tend to sell a lot better in Europe, but it's still surprising considering Driveclub came out weeks earlier and considering how niche Bayonetta 2 is.

actually, it was more about using UK's Forza Horizon 2 vs Driveclub battle in the charts and using that for the US :p

also The Evil Within PS4>Driveclub on the Playstation store chart for the US? hmm....

Actually, since set top boxes are effectively the internal hardware of a handheld/phone/tablet without the screen or cameras, they're usually cheaper than the handheld/phone/tablet.

Like the Vita costs $200, but the Vita TV is $100. Similarly, most set top boxes only cost $100, whereas the tablets with the same parts might cost $200 or more.

There are obviously pains with any transition, though the same can easily be said for the situation they are in now.

I think for what Nintendo is it really cannot afford poor quality software releases I like your idea that they are merging platforms to prepare for the day that they can learn to develop for a wide range of platforms I think that transition will take time to keep the quality most fans expect from Nintendo

Once the Miyamoto generation has retired from Nintendo we should not really expect the same anyway so it will be interesting to see what kind of Nintendo we have in 5 years

2020 Nintendo will be a very different company

allan-bh

I'm a bit afraid of breaking some type of unwritten rule here but seeing how slow this is moving I'll ask:

Am I the only one who remembers some email tags on that creamsugar last post stating he lost his source like it was some type of joke?

I still don't know if is unwritten rule because everyone is saying that is gone, but I remember.

Popnbake

Oh, that's news to me, I think. I'm glad to know it, but as we've been discussing, it seems like it would have to be a massive reinvention of some kind. I know Miyamoto made comments a few days ago that could be read as an oblique hint towards VR development but that seems like an unwise route for them to take (not that they haven't proven me wrong time and time again).

From the Time interview with him they are interested in VR development.

But it doesn't seem like VR in the sense of a single player experience like Oculus or project Morpheus is something he wants.

http://time.com/2881482/interview-nintendo-miyamoto-virtual-reality/

When you think about what virtual reality is, which is one person putting on some goggles and playing by themselves kind of over in a corner, or maybe they go into a separate room and they spend all their time alone playing in that virtual reality, that’s in direct contrast with what it is we’re trying to achieve with Wii U. And so I have a little bit of uneasiness with whether or not that’s the best way for people to play.

So from Nintendo’s perspective, there’s interest in the technology, but we think it might be better suited to some sort of attraction style of entertainment, say something at a video game arcade or things like that, rather than something that one person plays alone.

Jamix012

Not really, they still generally count for 80%ish of the console/handheld space. Something that didn't do well as a physical product isn't magically going to have done better digitally.

kazinova

Eh, maybe.

But that still doesn't explain it's place, or lack of place, in the charts. If we assume more people are buying digitally, then surely all the other games have lost sales to digital too, so it should even out.

The charts are generally a pretty good indicator of how good a game is doing.

Numbers would be great, but we can't have everything.

Other people have pointed out the bundle is digital as well. I think it's certainly possible for more digital copies of some games to be sold then others.

I doubt it's 80% retail 20% digital for all games. Some of them have to be 90/10 or 70/30. I guess it could average out and have a low std dev. It just seems unlikely given how disparate the types of games and fanbases are for all three consoles.

Sunset > Bayonetta > DC according to a poster earlier in the thread.

If Bayo did > 100k I'd honestly be pretty surprised, it deserves better but it'd be literally 2x my expectations.

I bought a friend a copy and from what I played its a terrific game. Platinum games are talented, I'm disappointed their games don't sell better.

There were some hints they might be considering this between Miyamoto's software statements and an even older statement from Iwata about increasing the number of SKUs (hardware configurations), but essentially having them share a foundational platform base.

Now, this could mean common APIs that make porting between platforms easier, or it could mean they all use basically the same hardware a la iOS devices (especially last year, where the iPhone 5S, iPad Air, and iPad Mini 2 all used the same processor) and run all the same software despite being different form factors and products you can buy.

You can essentially sell people on the hardware configuration they like the most (or multiple if they want a home and portable version) and then just sell them games that work on any of the devices so you effectively only have to support one platform.

This is effectively what i expect them to do, and it seems the smartest route. The DS was supposed to be a 3rd pillar when it was launched. If they had effectively a console, a handheld, and some type of medium beteen the two like a tablet, that are all sold just a little above cost, and ran the same software, then they would have a winning strategy.

The difficulty of this is selling the hardware at a profit, while not pricing yourself out of the market. The reason i feel you would have to make sure you the hardware is sold at a profit, is the loss of revenue from software sales. At that point you wouldnt have mario/mario kart both having two different sku's bringing in revenue. You would just have one sku that would be bringing in revenue, and hope that single source of revenue is more than what the two individual revenue streams combined bring in (now also it would be cheaper to dev. and market one sku than two)

This NPD is such a mixed bag.

-Im really bummed SO didn't at least chart. Its the best game that has come out in a while.
-Proud of PS4 owners for not picking DC up based on visuals alone. No developer should be rewarded for the shite show that was that launch.

Really hoping next NPD:
-MCC doesn't debut at #1. I know it probably will, I mean hell my purchase counted toward it but it doesn't deserve it. I hope word of mouth spreads fast enough and sends a clear message to MS.
-AC Unity is the worst selling game of the franchise.

Not really, they still generally count for 80%ish of the console/handheld space. Something that didn't do well as a physical product isn't magically going to have done better digitally.
Depends on the platform and time frame. And likely nature of the title. We have credible info that some games are going north of 30%.

It seems like Sunset still has a chance to succeed. MS and Nintendo should negotiate a deal for a Wiiu version of Sunset and Xbox One version of Bayonetta :)

You don't think there's a porpotional relationship between retail and digital if they're both priced the same?

The assumptions of digital making up for shortfalls of retail, when digital has no notable advantage from a pricing or availability standpoint is weird to me. Realistically, if both are equal, a game that does well on retail will also do well on digital, relative to retail success. And likewise if it bombs.

Opiate

Excellent results for Sony. I think there are tiers of denialism about the current state of affairs; the first few months provides at least some realistic belief that things might turn around; by 8 months in it should be quite clear; at this point virtually anyone who doesn't see what's happening -- who holds out some suggestion that maybe the Xbox One will turn a major corner, or that Wii U's success can be redeemed -- can reasonably be labeled a denialist.

At this point, the best hope for Xbox One is to do mediocre sales, and the best hope for the Wii U is "well, at least we didn't lose tons of money."

kswiston

Really hoping next NPD:
-MCC doesn't debut at #1. I know it probably will I mean hell my purchase counted toward it but it doesn't deserve it. I hope word of mouth spreads fast enough and sends a clear message to MS.
-AC Unity is the worst selling game of the franchise.

You really think MCC will beat Call of Duty? It would have be the best Halo debut ever and COD sales would have to drop by like 50%.

Top Bottom