• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2014 [Up3: All of Nintendo's 3DS million sellers]

I'm a bit afraid of breaking some type of unwritten rule here but seeing how slow this is moving I'll ask:

Am I the only one who remembers some email tags on that creamsugar last post stating he lost his source like it was some type of joke?

NPD just isn't the same

This NPD is such a mixed bag.

-Im really bummed SO didn't at least chart. Its the best game that has come out in a while.
-Proud of PS4 owners for not picking DC up based on visuals alone. No developer should be rewarded for the shite show that was that launch.

Really hoping next NPD:
-MCC doesn't debut at #1. I know it probably will, I mean hell my purchase counted toward it but it doesn't deserve it. I hope word of mouth spreads fast enough and sends a clear message to MS.
-AC Unity is the worst selling game of the franchise.
I wont. COD will and then AC.

-Im really bummed SO didn't at least chart. Its the best game that has come out in a while.
-Proud of PS4 owners for not picking DC up based on visuals alone. No developer should be rewarded for the shite show that was that launch.

Really hoping next NPD:
-MCC doesn't debut at #1. I know it probably will, I mean hell my purchase counted toward it but it doesn't deserve it. I hope word of mouth spreads fast enough and sends a clear message to MS.

Just how much do you think COD has declined as a series if a single XB1 sku of a game, any game, has even the slightest chance of placing higher on the Top 10 software chart where multiplat games are rolled into one? COD will easily be number 1 next month.

Really hoping next NPD:
I would like to ditto this.

Edit:
Definitely miss Aqua and CreamSugar. :(
Hope they are doing well.

i think a lot of people got Driveclub digitally because of the PS+ discount. In canada its a full $20 off from full price, $30 if you buy it at retail with taxes.

Jinfash

needs 2 extra inches
I'm still curious about the Destiny split (XBO > PS4 ). Can the PS4 bundle still be attributed to the surprising result again, or can we deduce the FPS audience is still gravitating towards MS' systems? I'd love to see some hard numbers, but I know I never will.

If after next month SO is still selling like crap I will feel sorry for Insomniac, even if it is an XBOne exclusive. They have released some amazing games over the years that haven't had the sales numbers they deserved.

Really hoping next NPD:

In what world could a Halo remake outsell CoD on 5 platforms? Or GTA 5 on two? Or even Smash Bros on 1? I'm guessing 4th, just ahead of AC Unity.

Log4Girlz

There were some hints they might be considering this between Miyamoto's software statements and an even older statement from Iwata about increasing the number of SKUs (hardware configurations), but essentially having them share a foundational platform base.

Now, this could mean common APIs that make porting between platforms easier, or it could mean they all use basically the same hardware a la iOS devices (especially last year, where the iPhone 5S, iPad Air, and iPad Mini 2 all used the same processor) and run all the same software despite being different form factors and products you can buy.

You can essentially sell people on the hardware configuration they like the most (or multiple if they want a home and portable version) and then just sell them games that work on any of the devices so you effectively only have to support one platform.

Its really the smartest move all things considered.

Excellent results for Sony. I think there are tiers of denialism about the current state of affairs; the first few months provides at least some realistic belief that things might turn around; by 8 months in it should be quite clear; at this point virtually anyone who doesn't see what's happening -- who holds out some suggestion that maybe the Xbox One will turn a major corner, or that Wii U's success can be redeemed -- can reasonably be labeled a denialist.

At this point, the best hope for Xbox One is to do mediocre sales, and the best hope for the Wii U is "well, at least we didn't lose tons of money."

I will frame this post =D

All this means is a lot of people are missing out on Two of the best release this generation. Insane. And as for the childish "backed the wrong horse" nonsense, SO was likely turned by Sony. Still doesn't excuse backhanded comments. Sad that Assassins creed will outsell it.

Umm, where are you getting this from? The company that still funds The Last Guardian would turn down an open world action/adventure game that has more appeal than most of Insomniac's games in the last few years?

SO being Xbox only is the result of Microsoft not having a strict publishing policy and allowing IG to retain the rights to SO, whereas Sony requires the rights to the game if they publish the game.

I'm glad the game sold, I only wish it charted, but hopefully worldwide numbers made it a complete success. Microsoft gave it a great advertising push IMO. I saw ads on all the networks relevant to its potential fanbase.

Death2494

I'm still curious about the Destiny split (XBO > PS4 ). Can the PS4 bundle still be attributed to the surprising result again, or can we deduce the FPS audience is still gravitating towards MS' systems? I'd love to see some hard numbers, but I know I never will.
According to Amazon.com the destiny PS4 bundle ended the month at #24 and the Xbox One is at #35 for the month of October.

ZSaberLink

Media Create Maven
In the US? No! 360 is ahead of the Wii since (end of) 2013.

Aqua and others already gave #s back then and that was not the case. It was something like (Wii) 41.6M vs. 41.2M (360) last time they gave #s. Anyways, it's pretty much equal either ways. More accurately

Wii ~= 360 >> PS3 in US.

Tuck

Kid Icarus is a niche game that Nintendo didn't bother to keep stocked in stores indefinitely like they did with most of the other titles on that list. I'm sure it did well for the type of game it is, similar to Fire Emblem.
Its... Really not niche at all.

For me less than 100k.

Seems like a random specific number. Why not 90K 80K 150K 200K? Seems like people choose an arbitrary number out of their head and if it doesn't meet those expectations it = bomb.

Yeah they should pick it up for the great track design, car handling and long 15 hour + single player mode with customizable races and events or the very least actually play the game and know what's on the disk before even commenting on them and making broad ignorant generalizations.

Umm, where are you getting this from? The company that still funds The Last Guardian would turn down an open world action/adventure game that has more appeal than most of Insomniac's games in the last few years?

IP ownership.

Seems to be the immovable object of negotiations when it comes to WWS funded titles.

There were several stores here where the only PS4 they had on the shelves were Destiny bundles.

Totally anecdotal, but I wouldn't be at all surprised if that contributed to One Destiny outselling the PS4 physical standalone.

Dante316

Seems like good sales, too bad dont know HW numbers. I expect COD to be number 1 in Nov, with GTAV, AC unity, Dragon age , Smash, and MCC rounding out the top 6. Numbers 2 through 6 can be anything lol

I wont. COD will and then AC.

Just how much do you think COD has declined as a series if a single XB1 sku of a game, any game, has even the slightest chance of placing higher on the Top 10 software chart where multiplat games are rolled into one? COD will easily be number 1 next month.

In what world could a Halo remake outsell CoD on 5 platforms? Or GTA 5 on two? Or even Smash Bros on 1? I'm guessing 4th, just ahead of AC Unity.

You are all of course correct. I should have just said I hope it bombs enough to send a clear message that gamers won't put up with this shite.

How come?

I put a lot of excitement and energy toward a game that was made by people that have no love or regard for the franchise I thought I was supporting.

NateDrake

Though not related John Harker, there are not many retail games that have achieved 100k and 200k respectively for Wii U software.

Have Bayonetta 2 and Hyrule Warriors reached that feat respectively?

Hyrule Warriors achieved that in its opening 8days. It sold close to 200k then.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
Seems like good sales, too bad dont know HW numbers. I expect COD to be number 1 in Nov, with GTAV, AC unity, Dragon age , Smash, and MCC rounding out the top 6. Numbers 2 through 6 can be anything lol

Y'all seem to be forgetting Pokemans

Hyrule Warriors achieved that in its opening 8days. It sold close to 200k then.

I know we have 190k for Hyrule Warriors (including digital from Ninty) but I wonder if the sales collapsed due to Zelda been a more front-loaded franchise comparatively to Mario & Co.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
For me less than 100k.

That would be a ridiculous bomb.

To put it in perspective, we just had an interview from Capcom where they said they wouldn't greenlight a title if it didn't have a 2MM+ sales potential and the consensus response was that 2MM was lower than what many expected.

Nobody is investing in 500M "at full price" sellers. But then again, MS bundled it out of the gate so I guess they're writing that one off.

Top Bottom