• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2014 [Up3: All of Nintendo's 3DS million sellers]

maxcriden

Its... Really not niche at all.

I think by Nintendo standards it's on the niche side. It's a largely unknown IP, just this side of Ice Climbers in terms of recognizability, and it came boxed with a peripheral. I don't know how it sold, though.

Yeah they should pick it up for the great track design, car handling and long 15 hour + single player mode with customizable races and events or the very least actually play the game and know what's on the disk before even commenting on them and making broad ignorant generalizations.

I'm not saying any of those things aren't true but we can't support this idea that its fine to beta test a game at $60. It needs to stop.

On a side note has Raymaker or Hindle swung by or are they in a fallout shelter somewhere?

Gamer345

Banned
Seems like a random specific number. Why not 90K 80K 150K 200K? Seems like people choose an arbitrary number out of their head and if it doesn't meet those expectations it = bomb.

Yeah they should pick it up for the great track design, car handling and long 15 hour + single player mode with customizable races and events or the very least actually play the game and know what's on the disk before even commenting on them and making broad ignorant generalizations.

*Claps*

People dont seem to get it, Drive club is still a very decent game but with online issues, it is not fully broken, Many people still enjoy the game

spookyfish

I am at work so I cant shop this, can someone do this for me?

b6i7iKe.gif

Man! Love how he's setting up for the third guy! Need to google this.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I'm going by a statement from earlier prediction threads of titles on the new platforms in their early weeks seeing 30%+. My memory could be failing me.

Got it. Was just curious. Personally I hacent seen higher than 26% on the high end but There may be some outliers.

In generally it's still around 10-20, closer to 20+-% these days than before thi

wachie

lakers_oh_snap.gif

Gamer345

Banned
I'm not saying any of those things aren't true but we can't support this idea that its fine to beta test a game at $60. It needs to stop.

On a side note has Raymaker or Hindle swung by or are they in a fallout shelter somewhere?

Driveclub was beta tested under the name Project Cupcake, and it worked pretty fine, online and everything, This software code issue was clearly unknown and happened at launch

Stop being ignorant like Evo let the game release with this issue do this on purpose

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
So how much did SO cost to make then?

Well, they're about 200 employees, and the vast majority of them seem to be working on Sunset, so let's put that at an average 150 given they almost assuredly had contractors at some point to boot.

We'll be generous and say it only took two years to develop given this average employee count.

In Burbank you're not employing someone for less than $100,000 a year (including your office rent and their health insurance and equipment and etc), so 150 * $100,000 * 2 = $30 million.

That wouldn't be terribly expensive for a modern AAA game, but it's a lot of money still, and that's before even manufacturing and marketing the game.

So with Smash 3DS supposedly at 485k for October counting both retail and digital

If we go by September's digital rate, retail sales for October were 392k.

If we go by the 20% quoted for the game by Reggie, then retail sales for October were 388k.

So Evil Within all SKUs Retail is most likely below 390k.

Everything below Evil Within is then likely < 390k

Destiny had a massive drop-off

Ziffles

Well, they're about 200 employees, and the vast majority of them seem to be working on Sunset, so let's put that at an average 150 given they almost assuredly had contractors at some point to boot.

We'll be generous and say it only took two years to develop given this average employee count.

In Burbank you're not employing someone for less than $100,000 a year (including your office rent and their health insurance and equipment and etc), so 150 * $100,000 * 2 = $30 million.

That wouldn't be terribly expensive for a modern AAA game, but it's a lot of money still, and that's before even manufacturing and marketing the game.

Don't forget the marketing costs on top of that.

Oh derp, you didn't. Never mind.

Ah suck. It would have been at the very least entertaining if they were around for this. Especially with all that denial.

Not really. It's easy to guess what it'd be.

"Good start for a new IP because doesn't include bundles, will have good legs because WOM, wait for November."

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
If after next month SO is still selling like crap I will feel sorry for Insomniac, even if it is an XBOne exclusive. They have released some amazing games over the years that haven't had the sales numbers they deserved.

I whole heartedly endorse this statement. Resistance 3 is the best FPS of the last 10 years. It's the Half Life 3 all you fuckers have been waiting for, even the actual Half life 3 won't measure up to it.

Nothing surprising to me except Destiny dropping to number 5. I guess if there's PS4 bundles selling maybe that's partly why but...eesh. Maybe make a more complete game next time Bungie.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
It's too limited. I have a library of like 30 Vita games and only one works. And there are no streaming apps that work except for like Crackle.

Xenus

So with Smash 3DS supposedly at 485k for October counting both retail and digital

If we go by September's digital rate, retail sales for October were 392k.

If we go by the 20% quoted for the game by Reggie, then retail sales for October were 388k.

So Evil Within all SKUs Retail is most likely below 390k.

Everything below Evil Within is then likely < 390k

Destiny had a massive drop-off

Which probably puts 10 at around 100K at most which is bad for SO

StormKing

What would be the point of Nintendo launching another home console if they don't intend to compete with Sony and Microsoft?

They are competing right now and losing. It's clear that they need to cater to third parties in order to succeed in the current market. Capcom and Level 5 are keeping their handheld alive in Japan. They mistakenly thought that their games would remain as popular they were in the Wii and DS era. Now it should be clear to them that western style games by companies like EA, Ubisoft and Activision are the ones western gamers want to play.

I predict that the next Nintendo console will be similar to the Xbox One and the PS4 in terms of architecture. If the young adult male is the major audience for console gaming in the west, then they need to appeal to that audience. I don't see the point of funding games like Bayonetta 2 or Devil's Third otherwise.

That's what the Wii U symbolizes. Either compete directly with Sony and Microsoft or stop manufacturing consoles. There is no in-between.

JABEE

This NPD is such a mixed bag.

-Im really bummed SO didn't at least chart. Its the best game that has come out in a while.
-Proud of PS4 owners for not picking DC up based on visuals alone. No developer should be rewarded for the shite show that was that launch.

Really hoping next NPD:
-MCC doesn't debut at #1. I know it probably will, I mean hell my purchase counted toward it but it doesn't deserve it. I hope word of mouth spreads fast enough and sends a clear message to MS.
-AC Unity is the worst selling game of the franchise.

GTA, AC: Unity and COD will not allow MCC to debut #1

ascii42

It's too limited. I have a library of like 30 Vita games and only one works. And there are no streaming apps that work except for like Crackle.
The Vita titles that don't work are mostly unsurprising, but the lack of most media apps that are already available on the vita is baffling.

Top Bottom