• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2014 [Up3: All of Nintendo's 3DS million sellers]

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
What would be the point of Nintendo launching another home console if they don't intend to compete with Sony and Microsoft?

They are competing right now and losing. It's clear that they need to cater to third parties in order to succeed in the current market. Capcom and Level 5 are keeping their handheld alive in Japan. They mistakenly thought that their games would remain as popular they were in the Wii and DS era. Now it should be clear to them that western style games by companies like EA, Ubisoft and Activision are the ones western gamers want to play.

I predict that the next Nintendo console will be similar to the Xbox One and the PS4 in terms of architecture. If the young adult male is the major audience for console gaming in the west, then they need to appeal to that audience. I don't see the point of funding games like Bayonetta 2 or Devil's Third otherwise.

That's what the Wii U symbolizes. Either compete directly with Sony and Microsoft or stop manufacturing consoles. There is no in-between.

Their handheld is what is keeping Level-5 (excluding Yokai Watch merchandise revenue) and Capcom afloat, not the opposite.

This strategy would financially drain Nintendo.

Why?

Sony has never shied away from passing games that screamed bomba like Puppeteer. Or Quantic Dream games.

I'm sorta agreeing with you.

Many of their games have been bombas. Shu would have greenlit Sunset Overdrive just because IG was developing the game, but IG is only interested in IP ownership, so that would have been their only reason to say no IMO

Jburton

Banned
lakers_oh_snap.gif

That poster is right, there is a fine racing game their despite the online issues.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Sony stopped pouring money into vanity projects. That's why there has been consolidation at WWS and a general de-risking of the portfolio. Can't say I blamed them. Market showed last gen no one gives a shit. Midtier gaming is pretty much toast, and Yoshida has said before you're either AAA or you're indie.

Trojan

Can someone point me at the page or post with the best estimates at system sales? I'm seeing the Wii-U at 68K estimated but can't find estimates for PS4 and X1.

So why is it we can no longer get numbers?

I remember last month and every month before that for like years and years we've always had numbers!

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
What would be the point of Nintendo launching another home console if they don't intend to compete with Sony and Microsoft?

They are competing right now and losing. It's clear that they need to cater to third parties in order to succeed in the current market. Capcom and Level 5 are keeping their handheld alive in Japan. They mistakenly thought that their games would remain as popular they were in the Wii and DS era. Now it should be clear to them that western style games by companies like EA, Ubisoft and Activision are the ones western gamers want to play.

I predict that the next Nintendo console will be similar to the Xbox One and the PS4 in terms of architecture. If the young adult male is the major audience for console gaming in the west, then they need to appeal to that audience. I don't see the point of funding games like Bayonetta 2 or Devil's Third otherwise.

That's what the Wii U symbolizes. Either compete directly with Sony and Microsoft or stop manufacturing consoles. There is no in-between.

Sorry I don't think you understand fully what you mean by saying "current market" - I think you might mean the market environment, but in terms of market both Nintendo and S/M are selling to, it's largely different. They have overlap - imagine a ven diagram if you will - but no they "directly competing."

Nintendo targets MF 5 to 90 with their products, with their largest segment being kids like 7-13 and families. That's their largest demo and they overlap with m18-34, which is Sony and MS prime demo. So if you mean in that segment yes S/M have the majority market share and are "crushing" Nintendo for those dollars, but Nintendo still has the largest share in the rest of their market segmentation. It's barely a contest for the young side. All those dollars in the console segment are pretty much theirs.

There are lots of other companies and products Nintendo is competing against there,but your conception of the situation and recommendation for them to "give up" their hardware for M/S is ignoring their ownership of a lot of audience. Why would they cede that?

They need to refocus and remonetize what they have, not just give it to someone else haha

e-gamer

Well, they're about 200 employees, and the vast majority of them seem to be working on Sunset, so let's put that at an average 150 given they almost assuredly had contractors at some point to boot.

We'll be generous and say it only took two years to develop given this average employee count.

In Burbank you're not employing someone for less than $100,000 a year (including your office rent and their health insurance and equipment and etc), so 150 * $100,000 * 2 = $30 million.

That wouldn't be terribly expensive for a modern AAA game, but it's a lot of money still, and that's before even manufacturing and marketing the game.

I don't think it took that long to be made, BUT it's a great game indeed.

NateDrake

So why is it we can no longer get numbers?

I remember last month and every month before that for like years and years we've always had numbers!

Because people pissed off Aqua to the point of her banning herself for a while. People weren't grateful for the numbers she shared.

Well, they're about 200 employees, and the vast majority of them seem to be working on Sunset, so let's put that at an average 150 given they almost assuredly had contractors at some point to boot.

We'll be generous and say it only took two years to develop given this average employee count.

In Burbank you're not employing someone for less than $100,000 a year (including your office rent and their health insurance and equipment and etc), so 150 * $100,000 * 2 = $30 million.

That wouldn't be terribly expensive for a modern AAA game, but it's a lot of money still, and that's before even manufacturing and marketing the game.

Do you really think it took so much people to make ?
Something like UC2 took 85 people not counting out outsourcing and contractors .
Don't forget it was on only 1 system , i would say 100 makes more sense.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
Why uh-oh. The moment that the PS Plus version got delayed for a second time everyone knew it would flop.
I kind of worry about the future of Evolution, because I think they've consistently shown a lot of promise, but have also often been victims of terrible circumstances. But if this is something that has to happen, it has to happen.

kswiston

Sony stopped pouring money into vanity projects. That's why there has been consolidation at WWS and a general de-risking of the portfolio. Can't say I blamed them. Market showed last gen no one gives a shit. Midtier gaming is pretty much toast, and Yoshida has said before you're either AAA or you're indie.

When Indie titles are offering great gameplay for $15-20, and AAA titles are offering a level of eye candy (and hype) that is hard to match, mid-tier titles at $60 don't seem like an attractive option for most gamers.

Omnipunctual Godot

Gold Member
I think that at least one positive consequence to come from this is a very AAA-looking Souls successor in Bloodborne. I think it's going to be the most polished Souls game by far.

When Indie titles are offering great gameplay for $15-20, and AAA titles are offering a level of eye candy (and hype) that is hard to match, mid-tier titles at $60 don't seem like an attractive option for most gamers.

I would also say some Indies also replacing the mid tier .

Jburton

Banned
I am curious, Hindle... Raymaker... TheKayle... and others. But no, i'm not concerned at all... i just find it interesting.

Edit: Thanks for the additional replies guys.

I was only messing with you.

Some of those posters had issues that had nothing to do with their platform of choice.

Some may have had a meltdown after results went against their favourite platform, most where just plain trolls.

Do you really think it took so much people to make ?
Something like UC2 took 85 people not counting out outsourcing and contractors .
Don't forget it was on only 1 system , i would say 100 makes more sense.

Yeah, and TLOU took 150-170 people. ( on top of 2 years of preproduction by a smaller team)

Games development isn't becoming more efficient on the AAA front. We're hearing developer count rise, not go down.

Wonder why the huge price drop for the evil within for black friday if it sold so well during October

Not complaining since I plan on picking up the evil within for $25

I hope 2K at least upgrades the servers for 2K16 since it sold a ton, cmon

kswiston

I am curious, Hindle... Raymaker... TheKayle... and others. But no, i'm not concerned at all... i just find it interesting.

Edit: Thanks for the additional replies guys.

Console warriors of runner up consoles always have shorter life expectancies on GAF. A lot of Sony and Nintendo diehards have been banned over the years for getting a little too emotional over poor sales or flopping exclusives.

When your company of choice is going strong, you probably aren't going to have a banworthy meltdown or tirade.

Top Bottom