• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2014 [Up3: All of Nintendo's 3DS million sellers]

Why is it that XB guys seem so prone to getting banned?

Being on the current "losing end" tends to make certain people a little more on edge.

Hindle is a good example. He actually went after Bish with some bullshit accusations. How the fuck does anyone expect to survive that?

2014_11_13_23_%2525200.png

You just don't.

If it makes you feel better, b2 outsold (by a little) the PS3 sku. That's a win.

So roughly 70k I take it?

Since digital isn't included, it's worth noting that BA is $30 on the eShop if you buy it first and not B1 afterward.

So that could be attractive to those who got their fix of B1 on PS360 and wanted to jump into B2 at the cheapest price.

Don't know if that would bump the digital percentage up that much, but it might.

NickFire

Sunset, like Titanfall, bet on the wrong horse. Short term MS money at expense of any chance of becoming next big thing IMO. MS fucked up the One launch so bad it's beyond tarnished in eyes of majority of people most likely to play those games (hint - they likely read the internets).

Yeah, ms dropped price and bundles lots of games. But all I see is someone saying this time we really won't screw you over.

So roughly 70k I take it?

Since digital isn't included, it's worth noting that BA is $30 on the eShop if you buy it first and not B1 afterward.

So that could be attractive to those who got their fix of B1 on PS360 and wanted to jump into B2 at the cheapest price.

Don't know if that would bump the digital percentage up that much, but it might.

Bayo 2 is $50 standalone. It's only $30 if you buy Bayo 1 first, which is also $30.

There have been zero leaks outside of what is in the OP and the one hint that SO > Bayo 2 > DC.

Wait...what? Where did you read this?

LosDaddie

Banned
Good for Sony/PS4. No surprise they won, though. Next month should be interesting, but I still expect Sony to win. I just think they have the mindshare now, and it'll take a colossal mistake to change that. MS is doing it right by being priced lower. That's really all they can do at this point, that is, if they want to be 1st in sales.

If I didn't already have a PS4, then I'd be eyeing that GTAV & TLoU bundle on Black Friday. Really great deal.

:
Software:

1. NBA 2K15 (PS4, Xbox One, 360, PS3, PC)
  2. Super Smash Bros. for 3DS (3DS)
  3. The Evil Within (PS4, Xbox One, PS3, 360, PC)
  4. Borderlands: The Pre-Sequel (360, PS3, PC)
  5. Destiny (360, Xbox One, PS4, PS3)
  6. Skylanders: Trap Team (360, Wii, Wii U, PS3, Xbox One, PS4, 3DS, mobile)
  7. FIFA 15 (PS4, 360, PS3, Xbox One, Wii, PS Vita, 3DS)
  8. Madden NFL 15 (360, PS4, PS3, Xbox One)
  9. Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (PS4, XBox One, PC)
  10. Minecraft (360, PS3, PS4)

NBA 2k15 is a real good game. I've played about 10 games with my neighbor on PS4, and I'm still impressed with how it looks. Really gorgeous. No surprise it charted at #1.

Evil Within is a very nice surprise. Always good to see a quality new IP have success. I will get the game eventually.

Did Disney Infinity launch last month? I thought it launched in late Sept., but that's still a sharp drop off for the month. Yikes. Maybe people are waiting for sale? Personally, I'm waiting to snag it on sale on Black Friday (Christmas gift for my daughter).

Glad that PS4 took this month, i'm rooting for them to take Nov/Dec against all odds... the good shall prevail =D

I will frame this post =D

Why is it that XB guys seem so prone to getting banned?

Who is it that you think you're fooling here?

Sony stopped pouring money into vanity projects. That's why there has been consolidation at WWS and a general de-risking of the portfolio. Can't say I blamed them. Market showed last gen no one gives a shit. Midtier gaming is pretty much toast, and Yoshida has said before you're either AAA or you're indie.

I don't think that's the entire picture. We've got Heavy Rain, LBP, Journey and to an extent, TLOU from the last generation. There's at upcoming game from David Cage and (assuming your tag is false), that TLG is still in development and also the upcoming Until Dawn. I believe it's still a bit too early to judge their portfolio within the first year alone. It wasn't until the PS3's 2nd and 3rd year cycle did we see some actual development to newer, interesting IP's.

Taking this scenario at face-value; Sony as a company is in in the red and of course, trying to leverage their AAA IP's as much as they could this generation in order to gauge the market. So far, I'm not sure if KZ:S or Infamous: SS did well in reception compared to their predecessors. Their IP's aren't exactly in the levels of Nintendo, not to mention it just so happens to be genres that can easily be emulated and saturated in the long run.

You can't just simply wow people with graphics and production values alone (see Ryse). Which is why I believe Sony is trying to make a big deal out of Bloodborne than it is for TO: 1886.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Bless you John.

Bless you!

Should be maybe 80k + with digital downloads.

That's probably a fair guess!

Personally, I don't think Alien did that bad.
Yea it's down like 55k to the previous alien release but it's kind of a damaged brand and a non-mainstream genre. Likely a pretty controlled budget. And the reviews and WoM might make up more ground for the ip.

Richie

I really hope Bayonetta gets some serious mentions when the GOTY awards get rolling at the year's end. That would help its sales, however little.

SRTtoZ

Being on the current "losing end" tends to make certain people a little more on edge.

Hindle is a good example. He actually went after Bish with some bullshit accusations. How the fuck does anyone expect to survive that?

You just don't.

lol this gif.

I'd imagine so, sure.

The costly albatross around the Xbone's neck was Kinect. Once they ditched that, they could start being really aggressive with the price.

I disagree. Maybe at 399, but not 349.

Else we would have seen a global price drop and not just in the US.

You just don't.

Hahaha. Account suicides and meltdowns come in many forms.

vinnygambini

Why are strippers at the U.N. bad when they're great at strip clubs???
That's probably a fair guess!

Personally, I don't think Alien did that bad.
Yea it's down like 55k to the previous alien release but it's kind of a damaged brand and a non-mainstream genre. Likely a pretty controlled budget. And the reviews and WoM might make up more ground for the ip.

I think Alien did well if one looks only to the lackluster launch and stigma that is associated to the last game - SEGA had a lot of grounds to cover and did a commendable job.

On a side note, it's quite sad to see that Sonic and Alien are the remaining properties from SEGA on the retail side though :(

Usobuko

Banned
I really hope Bayonetta gets some serious mentions when the GOTY awards get rolling at the year's end. That would help its sales, however little.

If you notice the trend in last gen on PS360, it will be the western triple aaa games winning the action game category.

NickFire

I'd imagine so, sure.

The costly albatross around the Xbone's neck was Kinect. Once they ditched that, they could start being really aggressive with the price.

I started writing a post guessing they did based on likely extra controllers, live, and battery packs. But then I remembered they are a company who has no problem taking losses it seems, that retailers always take a cut, that they likely threw money at games which haven't done as well as I'm guessing they hoped, and a few other things that put me in the probably not yet at least camp.

Wow, so Bayo 2 may really have outsold Driveclub at retail....that's honestly shocking to me. I'm aware a lot of people probably bought DC digitally, but still....

That's probably bad news for DC more than it is good news for Bayo 2 lol : (

CLEEK

I disagree. Maybe at 399, but not 349.

Else we would have seen a global price drop and not just in the US.

Yeah, maybe. You're probably right.

12 months ago, the BOM was estimated to be $471, with $75 of that being the Kinect. You would imagine that the manufacturing costs would have come down a far whack in 12 months. But enough to cover a $349 price point with bundled games?

I didn't think that MS would have the stomach for subsidising their hardware again, after the significant losses the OG Xbox and 360 cost them, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

WinFonda

Saw it coming, but Insomniac still badly in need of a hit. i don't think their upcoming Ratchet game will do it either.

When they announced Fuse Ted Price was proud of the fact they were an independent, multiplatform company. But when Fuse bombed they went right back to their comfort zone with back to back subsidized exclusives in SO and Ratchet PS4. What good is being independent if you're going to be exclusive all the time? And what good is owning the IP if the IP fails to take off? That's not to say SO would have done better on PS4 without owning the IP. I think SO, like Fuse, is just a conceptual mistake. I mean who thought it was a good idea to make a game that gleefully breaks the 4th wall and where the humor is largely referencing internet memes and even directly appealing to NeoGAF? The Steve Bucsemi "how do you do fellow kids" gif sums it up so perfectly it hurts.

On their current trajectory they'll either be bought out by a bigger company or downsized into mobile, or both. Ted should take the paycheck and pull a Jason Rubin. Insomniac might see better days under new management. I know we give Insomniac a lot of flak as a studio but let's face it, Insomniac is independent and Ted is the boss.

Game Guru

Why would they develop those games for Nintendo's set top box instead of PC and mobile like they're doing right now? Nintendo has to come up with a good answer to that question, or their 3rd party woes will continue.

And there were Army Men games released for XBLA, they did quite well.

They won't develop those games for Nintendo's set top box instead of PC and mobile... They will develop those games in addition to PC and mobile. Hell, many indie developers already do that with the Wii U and the Vita. Hell, some indie developers are supporting the Ouya... the Ouya. It's actually the XB1 that is having the most trouble getting indie developers on board and that is due to the parity clause and MS making things difficult for indies to put their games onto the system.

Nintendo's unified platform would have the combined userbase of their successful handheld and their mediocre console, which would make it worth supporting for indie developers even if the userbase coming from the 3DS and the Wii U still decreased. The reason why AAA games aren't appearing is because the userbase for Nintendo platforms don't buy those games, which is not something that can be solved by just making a console that's on par with Sony and MS's.

So Borderlands:TPS did less than 485k due to us knowing Smash sales.

Borderlands 2 did 1.4 million combined on the first month. Also came out on the 18th of the month as opposed to the 14th but it may not matter depending on ending dates on when NPD stopped recording sales in both of those months. Kinda big drop but I guess to be expected due to old gen.

Saw it coming, but Insomniac still badly in need of a hit. i don't think their upcoming Ratchet game will do it either.

When they announced Fuse Ted Price was proud of the fact they were an independent, multiplatform company. But when Fuse bombed they went right back to their comfort zone with back to back subsidized exclusives in SO and Ratchet PS4. What good is being independent if you're going to be exclusive all the time? And what good is owning the IP if the IP fails to take off? That's not to say SO would have done better on PS4 without owning the IP. I think SO, like Fuse, is just a conceptual mistake. I mean who thought it was a good idea to make a game that gleefully breaks the 4th wall and where the humor is largely referencing internet memes and even directly appealing to NeoGAF? The Steve Bucsemi "how do you do fellow kids" gif sums it up so perfectly it hurts.

On their current trajectory they'll either be bought out by a bigger company or downsized into mobile, or both. Ted should take the paycheck and pull a Jason Rubin. Insomniac might see better days under new management. I know we give Insomniac a lot of flak as a studio but let's face it, Insomniac is independent and Ted is the boss.

I think a lot rides on how well they were expecting it to sell and how much Microsoft paid them for the game.

For all we know, they sold above estimates and may even turn a slight profit.

Kill3r7

So Borderlands:TPS did less than 485k due to us knowing Smash sales.

Borderlands 2 did 1.4 million combined on the first month. Also came out on the 18th of the month as opposed to the 14th but it may not matter depending on ending dates on when NPD stopped recording sales in both of those months. Kinda big drop but I guess to be expected due to old gen.

Last gen is on life support. I'm shocked it did so well.

Top Bottom