• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2014 [Up3: All of Nintendo's 3DS million sellers]

Wow, so Bayo 2 may really have outsold Driveclub at retail....that's honestly shocking to me. I'm aware a lot of people probably bought DC digitally, but still....

That's probably bad news for DC more than it is good news for Bayo 2 lol : (

Dc Will sell good enough in Europe. I'm not surprised about bayonetta 2 was in the top 5 for a while on amazon, but it won't have any legs.

ethomaz

Banned
It's definitely bad.
It's just not as catastrophically bad as a Wii U game could be (like The Wonderful 101).
I guess I don't think it is bad because the Wii U situation... if it was a PS4 release for example with 70k I will call terrible.

GHG

How did Driveclub have so many issues when nobody even bought it?

And all this time I was thinking that NPD was for US sales only, not global.

Silly me.

http://www.mcvuk.com/news/read/driveclub-problems-can-t-stop-it-topping-psn-sales-charts/0141141

DriveClub problems can't stop it topping PSN sales charts

The game has topped the PSN sales chart in Europe for October, topping previous chart-topper Minecraft and beating second place newcomer Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor.

Here’s the Top 20:

Driveclub (New)
Middle-earth: Shadow of Mordor (New)
Minecraft (1)
FIFA 15 (3)
Battlefield 4 (RE)
The Evil Within (New)
Assassin’s Creed Freedom Cry (RE)
Trials Fusion (7)
Destiny (2)
Assassin’s Creed IV Black Flag (RE)
NBA 2K15 (New)
The Last of Us Remastered (5)
Need for Speed Rivals (RE)
Outlast (10)
Alien: Isolation (New)
Oddworld: New ‘n’ Tasty (6)
InFamous First Light (4)
Sleeping Dogs Definitive Edition (New)
The Legend of Korra (New)
Peggle 2 (New)

Dante316

It's definitely bad.
It's just not as catastrophically bad as a Wii U game could be (like The Wonderful 101).

Its definitely catastrophically bad, it had alot of hype and higher expectations, wasn't a new IP, wii u owners just dont buy mature games it seems.

Dc Will sell good enough in Europe. I'm not surprised about bayonetta 2 was in the top 5 for a while on amazon, but it won't have any legs.

Actually, I'd argue that Bayonetta is likely to have longer legs (pun very much intended) than DC, although it's never going to sell big numbers. Bayo 2 is the type of game that will entice many hardcore gamers who pick up a Wii U throughout the generation. It was smart for Nintendo to include both games in the package.

So B2 ~70k.

Not bad but not good.

Eh that's still pretty bad. I would be curious for the budget of Bayo 2 but it'd probably be hard to parse as Platinum seemed to be working on it somewhat under Sega before they were told to stop so not sure how much Nintendo had to pay for it

At this rate I would say 300k WW LTD is probably where Bayo 2 will end up, maybe 400k if Europe/Australia pull more weight

And your number is based on what?

Follow the thread

WinFonda

I think a lot rides on how well they were expecting it to sell and how much Microsoft paid them for the game.

For all we know, they sold above estimates and may even turn a slight profit.
I don't think SO is damaging like Fuse was, I think SO is relatively safe (especially with MS partnering) but still a misguided product. Will we see a SO sequel? I doubt it. So it's more an opportunity cost than anything.

And I don't know what their internal expectations were/are, but they're essentially a holiday game and they failed to crack the top 10, soooo.... depends how November/December treats them, but there's a heckuva lot of competition.

Its definitely catastrophically bad, it had alot of hype and higher expectations, wasn't a new IP, wii u owners just dont buy mature games it seems.

It sold more than Bayo1 2010 on PS360 that had a much bigger userbase and Bayo1 had way more hype and press back then.

But this kind of game has obviously not a big audience.

They won't develop those games for Nintendo's set top box instead of PC and mobile... They will develop those games in addition to PC and mobile. Hell, many indie developers already do that with the Wii U and the Vita. Hell, some indie developers are supporting the Ouya... the Ouya. It's actually the XB1 that is having the most trouble getting indie developers on board and that is due to the parity clause and MS making things difficult for indies to put their games onto the system.

Nintendo's unified platform would have the combined userbase of their successful handheld and their mediocre console, which would make it worth supporting for indie developers even if the userbase coming from the 3DS and the Wii U still decreased. The reason why AAA games aren't appearing is because the userbase for Nintendo platforms don't buy those games, which is not something that can be solved by just making a console that's on par with Sony and MS's.

I don't think even the 3DS can be called a success in the US anymore.

Though I have to agree that MS' DD platform is a sad sack compared to what XBLA was last gen. No mandatory demos, no dedicated storefront for online only games, very limited offerings (where was Summer of Arcade this year? That used to be a thing). They are way behind Nintendo (and Sony) in the realm of attracting indie talent, which is amazing considering where they were just two years ago.

Busaiku

It sold more than Bayo1 2010 on PS360 that had a much bigger userbase and Bayo1 had way more hype and press back then.

But this kind of game has obviously not a big audience.

Only more than the PS3 version, which sold less than 66k.
The 360 version was higher than Bayonetta 2. Bayonetta on 360 debuted at higher than 66k, but lower than 138k.

Actually, I'd argue that Bayonetta is likely to have longer legs (pun very much intended) than DC, although it's never going to sell big numbers. Bayo 2 is the type of game that will entice many hardcore gamers who pick up a Wii U throughout the generation. It was smart for Nintendo to include both games in the package.

You might have have a point if it was 360/ps3, but on wiiu petty much nothing has legs except if it's mario, and especially this being mature rated, I don't see it doing more then 300k ltd.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
I don't think SO is damaging like Fuse was, I think SO is relatively safe (especially with MS partnering) but still a misguided product. Will we see a SO sequel? I doubt it. So it's more an opportunity cost than anything.

And I don't know what their internal expectations were/are, but they're essentially a holiday game and they failed to crack the top 10, soooo.... depends how November/December treats them, but there's a heckuva lot of competition.

Damaging? Why would it be damaging?

I don't think it did "well" but I don't particularly think it did "very bad" either - it's more of a reflection of the month xbox one had in my opinion, which wasnt that great. It's the #2 sku on the platform last month, behind nba, ahead of TEW. And yes it's above 100k.

TEW on the other hand did awesome.

Lemondish

Wow, so Bayo 2 may really have outsold Driveclub at retail....that's honestly shocking to me. I'm aware a lot of people probably bought DC digitally, but still....

That's probably bad news for DC more than it is good news for Bayo 2 lol : (

DriveClub was much cheaper digitally and there was no limited edition steelbook like in Europe. Literally no reason to buy it at retail. I think it was hurt by the server issues and the PS+ version being delayed, but this is also a game that would appeal far more to the European market than it does over here, so it isn't really bad news bears everywhere for DC.

WinFonda

I don't think it did "well" but I don't particularly think it did "very bad" either - it's more of a reflection of the month xbox one had in my opinion, which wasnt that great. It's the #2 sku on the platform last month, behind nba. And yes it's above 100k
I said Fuse was damaging, not SO.

If you're asking why I thought Fuse was damaging, well...

You might have have a point if it was 360/ps3, but on wiiu petty much nothing has legs except if it's mario, and especially this being mature rated, I don't see it doing more then 300k ltd.

If it were on a Sony or MS machine, I would feel differently, actually. Bayonetta 2 is a very unique game on Nintendo's platform and its high review scores and positive word of mouth can only help it in the long run. It's never going to be a big hit but I do think it will sell at a nice, steady pace throughout the generation. Having both games always available on the eShop will help it as well.

I still believe it was a worthy investment for Nintendo. Digital distribution is going to keep a game like this from being forgotten. If this were the GCN or Wii era, I'd be more worried about the game's fate.

jmizzal

Ok I see Bayo 2 numbers

How much did it sale in Japan

if its around 75K in NA retail plus digital

It should be around 130 WW right?

allan-bh

I don't think it did "well" but I don't particularly think it did "very bad" either - it's more of a reflection of the month xbox one had in my opinion, which wasnt that great. It's the #2 sku on the platform last month, behind nba, ahead of TEW. And yes it's above 100k.

You have SO bundle sales?

I'm creating a fantasy world where sunset is low due to all the interested buyers waiting for the bundle. That kinda happened with destiny, selling more units on xbone than ps4 launch month

Busaiku

Ok I see Bayo 2 numbers

Famitsu last had it at 48k.

75k is a big assumption.
We never got the actual PS3 figures, just that it was lower than Bayonetta 360 in Japan.

Saw it coming, but Insomniac still badly in need of a hit. i don't think their upcoming Ratchet game will do it either.

When they announced Fuse Ted Price was proud of the fact they were an independent, multiplatform company. But when Fuse bombed they went right back to their comfort zone with back to back subsidized exclusives in SO and Ratchet PS4. What good is being independent if you're going to be exclusive all the time? And what good is owning the IP if the IP fails to take off? That's not to say SO would have done better on PS4 without owning the IP. I think SO, like Fuse, is just a conceptual mistake. I mean who thought it was a good idea to make a game that gleefully breaks the 4th wall and where the humor is largely referencing internet memes and even directly appealing to NeoGAF? The Steve Bucsemi "how do you do fellow kids" gif sums it up so perfectly it hurts.

On their current trajectory they'll either be bought out by a bigger company or downsized into mobile, or both. Ted should take the paycheck and pull a Jason Rubin. Insomniac might see better days under new management. I know we give Insomniac a lot of flak as a studio but let's face it, Insomniac is independent and Ted is the boss.
I think the biggest problem comes from the fact that, as one of Sony's big three, Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, and Insomniac, they never gained as much of a success on next gen as naughty dog has from uncharted and sucker punch from infamous. Resistance was always being overshadowed by Killzone as Sony's shooter and Ratchet and Clank exists in a generation where platformers are no longer big sellers.

CLEEK

Ok I see Bayo 2 numbers

Bayo 2 did 28k in its first week. So it bombed there too.

The last time it was in the top 30 was 3 weeks ago, and it was at 48k LTD. It might have broken the 50k mark by now, but that's about as good as it will get.

Thank you for the tidbits.

If it were on a Sony or MS machine, I would feel differently, actually. Bayonetta 2 is a very unique game on Nintendo's platform and its high review scores and positive word of mouth can only help it in the long run. It's never going to be a big hit but I do think it will sell at a nice, steady pace throughout the generation. Having both games always available on the eShop will help it as well.

I still believe it was a worthy investment for Nintendo. Digital distribution is going to keep a game like this from being forgotten. If this were the GCN or Wii era, I'd be more worried about the game's fate.

I'd predict that Bayo 2 disc copies will be as hard to find as Metroid Prime Trilogy in about a year. Hold onto those copies for dear life.

How many retail copies of SMT4 were sold, if anyone can provide a figure?

Oct. 2014 numbers for that game?

SMT4 came out almost a year and a half ago in NA.

I'd predict that Bayo 2 disc copies will be as hard to find as Metroid Prime Trilogy in about a year. Hold onto those copies for dear life.

That could be ttrue, though The Wonderful 101 is still pretty easy to find. Thank god for the eShop, regardless.

Top Bottom