• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2014 [Up3: All of Nintendo's 3DS million sellers]

the sales numbers here for Bayonetta 2 seems only based on guesses without any strong evidence. as useful as the numbers from the "vg-site" that were hilarious high for US.

no its not, read the thread. the Bayonetta 2 numbers is a good source. It's not made up garbage like the site you mentioned.

the sales numbers here for Bayonetta 2 seems only based on guesses without any strong evidence. as useful as the numbers from the "vg-site" that were hilarious high for US.

What on earth are you on about? We have a vetted insider confirm a lower bound for it, Chartz pulls numbers out of their ass. How are they at all alike?

Game Guru

I don't think even the 3DS can be called a success in the US anymore.

Though I have to agree that MS' DD platform is a sad sack compared to what XBLA was last gen. No mandatory demos, no dedicated storefront for online only games, very limited offerings (where was Summer of Arcade this year? That used to be a thing). They are way behind Nintendo (and Sony) in the realm of attracting indie talent, which is amazing considering where they were just two years ago.

3DS is a relative success... It is not anywhere near successful compared to past handhelds, but it is still the third best selling current gen game system in the US month to month and that isn't likely to change when the competition is the Wii U and the Vita. Given how badly XB1 is likely selling outside of the US and UK compared to 3DS being the best selling platform in Japan and doing average everywhere else, it is possible that the 3DS will be the second-best selling game system this generation with only the PS4 selling more, at least from what numbers I've seen.

- SO bomba is something that does not surprise, at least me. Is a new franchise, a type of game that doesn't move masses and exclusive for a console that, well, is not breaking the charts...
The worst part is that if it bombed too hard we probably won't see it in other platforms (PC/PS4) a d in the worst case, we even won't see SO2.
Huh? We were never going to see it on PS4 either way. We don't even have sales numbers for it, only thing we know is that it was #9 in individual SKUs.

RibMan

Does anyone have an estimate of the PS4 and XB1 sales for the month?

Bet Insomniac feels stupid about ditching Sony for MS now. Does this mean we can expect a Resistance 4 soon?

Please?

I don't think Insomniac regrets their decision that much. They backed the wrong horse, but Sunset Overdrive hasn't even been on sale for a full month. For all we know, the game might perform much better in November.

but we have no real NPD numbers here for B2, only guesses based on guesses based on guesses. it could be anything between 50k and the 120k the other site "calculated".

We have all the official numbers from PR we are going to get. If you choose not to believe the insiders who are nice enough to feed us tidbits, that's your prerogative but don't try to downplay their credibility because you don't like the numbers they've given.

but we have no real NPD numbers here for B2, only guesses based on guesses based on guesses. it could be anything between 50k and the 120k the other site "calculated".

1. huh the number is based from a person with usually correct info i.e they have the numbers

2. how is any different from cream/aqua's numbers since those are usually calculated from approximations (since they can give the exact numbers)

Not guesses, John knows his stuff. His tag's not a sarcastic one. He said B2 sold slightly more than the PS3 number in the post he quoted, which was 66k. So B2 is somewhere in the 70k range, maybe 68-72?

I haven't kept up, but I'm surprised the top 3DS seller isn't higher.

At the same time, though, I'm surprised to think that the 3DS hasn't even been out for 4 years in the US. The portable scene is almost unrecognizable from where it was in 2011.

Busaiku

Not guesses, John knows his stuff. His tag's not a sarcastic one. He said B2 sold slightly more than the PS3 number in the post he quoted, which was 66k. So B2 is somewhere in the 70k range, maybe 68-72?

Bayonetta on PS3 wasn't necessarily 66k, we just know it was less than the 360 game in Japan (which was 66k).

Bayonetta on PS3 wasn't necessarily 66k, we just know it was less than the 360 game in Japan (which was 66k).

his statement was based off the figure given to him, regardless of how accurate the Bayo PS3 figure might have been

besides it's not like 70k is some surprising success anyway

I doubt he was looking at Bayonetta 1's actual sales and not the estimate I posted when he made the comparison

Thus I think greater than 66k by a little bit is what was meant

Wasn't it just that it was more than the PS3 game?
Or was there a number that I missed?

John asked for the Bayonetta numbers, the guy told him the numbers, John said then B2 sold slightly more than the PS3 number the guy gave him. It's not that hard to read the conversation..

Niteandgrey

Neo Member
A shame that Driveclub isn't on there. Obviously they had a ton of problems at launch, but I've really enjoyed the game.

But I'm saddest about Bayonetta 2. What a GREAT game and it's getting no love : (

WinFonda

I think the biggest problem comes from the fact that, as one of Sony's big three, Naughty Dog, Sucker Punch, and Insomniac, they never gained as much of a success on next gen as naughty dog has from uncharted and sucker punch from infamous. Resistance was always being overshadowed by Killzone as Sony's shooter and Ratchet and Clank exists in a generation where platformers are no longer big sellers.
Resistance was pretty big prior to Resistance 2. Resistance 2 even did pretty well, but that game alone stopped the franchise dead in its tracks. Resistance was Sony's holiday flagship shooter. Killzone was always releasing in Feb, comfortably away from Resistance. They had a great opportunity but it was squandered with R2, which had a major identity crisis and also substantial quality control problems. Quality issues could be blamed on Sony if they forced them to rush it out the door but that didn't excuse all the terrible design decisions they had planned for that installment. Resistance 1 was smart - it was a quality launch title that leveraged network features and heck, it arrived at a time where it was possible to break into the FPS genre without facing the juggernaut that was Modern Warfare. R2 was self-inflicted franchise seppuku, imo. Going into Resistance 2, Insomniac frankly was the playstation developer to beat. Sony backed them big time at E3 and elsewhere. At that point Uncharted 1 also wasn't quite as successful as Resistance 1, the difference really is in how they handled their respective sequels.

I think Insomniac tried to do too much too fast, alternating Resistance and Ratchet every year.

Busaiku

John asked for the Bayonetta numbers, the guy told him the numbers, John said then B2 sold slightly more than the PS3 number the guy gave him. It's not that hard to read the conversation..

Right, but the only reference we have of the PS3 version is that it sold less than the 360 version's 1st week in Japan.
We never got a floor.

I mean usually that would be a good indication, but I think creamsugar's Bayonetta numbers were specifically to bring the comparison with the Japanese sales, so it might not necessarily have about the same.

AniHawk

with regards to bayonetta 2, the game probably sold about as well as it possibly could. i don't think it's like wonderful 101 where there was potential for it to do better, where almost every retailer agreed with that assumption. i think retailers ordered the right amount of copies. there were some reports of shortages early on, but there's not the mountain of copies leftover that there still seem to be for the wonderful 101.

i am curious to see how well it perfroms over the next few months. it debuted higher than the ps3 version of bayonetta 1, although about 30% lower than the 360 version of bayonetta 1. if the game somehow receives a solid number of end-of-year goty awards, it could give the game a boost in december. it's not the kind of game nintendo would see better-than-expected holiday sales from at the end of the year though. sonic lost world for instance, launched under 20k in 2013 and ended near 100k by the end of the year. that level of growth proooobably is not in the cards for this game.

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
SO, Bayo 2, DC, Alien and Disney Infinity all did not chart.

Well not in the chart in the OP but if you want to just go by individual sku, both SO and Alien are 9 and 10 in the top 10 npd for September.

Wins all around.
See anyone can Pr!

Lonely1

Unconfirmed Member
with regards to bayonetta 2, the game probably sold about as well as it possibly could. i don't think it's like wonderful 101 where there was potential for it to do better, where almost every retailer agreed with that assumption. i think retailers ordered the right amount of copies. there were some reports of shortages early on, but there's not the mountain of copies leftover that there still seem to be for the wonderful 101.

i am curious to see how well it perfroms over the next few months. it debuted higher than the ps3 version of bayonetta 1, although about 30% lower than the 360 version of bayonetta 1. if the game somehow receives a solid number of end-of-year goty awards, it could give the game a boost in december. it's not the kind of game nintendo would see better-than-expected holiday sales from at the end of the year though. sonic lost world for instance, launched under 20k in 2013 and ended near 100k by the end of the year. that level of growth proooobably is not in the cards for this game.

How about EShop sales? I could see a 10% boost there...

Top Bottom