• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for October 2014 [Up3: All of Nintendo's 3DS million sellers]

Busaiku

How could he say it only slightly outsold B1 PS3 without assuming that number? Doesn't make sense.

Outselling Bayonetta on PS3 doesn't necessarily mean it sold more than the 360 game's Japanese debut. Could still be less, based on what we have.
Again, I'm assuming creamsugar's post was specifically to draw the comparison to the Japanese sales, not necessarily the hover points we usually get.

Outselling Bayonetta on PS3 doesn't necessarily mean it sold more than the 360 game's Japanese debut. Could still be less, based on what we have.
Again, I'm assuming creamsugar's post was specifically to draw the comparison to the Japanese sales, not necessarily the hover points we usually get.

If he didn't have the PS3 number how could he say it slightly outsold it then? Also I assume you mean John Harker, not creamsugar.

leobebes

Banned
Saw it coming, but Insomniac still badly in need of a hit. i don't think their upcoming Ratchet game will do it either.

When they announced Fuse Ted Price was proud of the fact they were an independent, multiplatform company. But when Fuse bombed they went right back to their comfort zone with back to back subsidized exclusives in SO and Ratchet PS4. What good is being independent if you're going to be exclusive all the time? And what good is owning the IP if the IP fails to take off? That's not to say SO would have done better on PS4 without owning the IP. I think SO, like Fuse, is just a conceptual mistake. I mean who thought it was a good idea to make a game that gleefully breaks the 4th wall and where the humor is largely referencing internet memes and even directly appealing to NeoGAF? The Steve Bucsemi "how do you do fellow kids" gif sums it up so perfectly it hurts.

On their current trajectory they'll either be bought out by a bigger company or downsized into mobile, or both. Ted should take the paycheck and pull a Jason Rubin. Insomniac might see better days under new management. I know we give Insomniac a lot of flak as a studio but let's face it, Insomniac is independent and Ted is the boss.

This is silly. The game is damn good. In fact, it's my favorite game of the year. The reviews are great. It's one of those games that sticks with you for a long time. Yet you come on here critique it's humor, pick out a couple of nuggets that have been re-posted on here and feel the need to judge the entire cohesive experience of a game like Sunset Overdrive without, I suspect, ever playing it yourself.

We don't know the digital numbers of the game. Hell, who knows, with digital sales and next month it could've exceeded projections. Phil Spencer packaged this game up as part of a bundle for a reason. I know this is going to sound cliche, but It's a "gamer's" game.

I know I'm not the only one who feels that way, and I found your gross and general characterization of the game and it's impassioned studio quite insulting.

So watevs...

I'm really surprised at The Evil Within's success. If that ever gets revisited, I hope that allows for Tango/Bethesda/Mikami to create a more cohesive and technically sound game.

On the flip-side, I'm disappointed about Alien: Isolation's sales performance to where it's completely absent in the top 10. Perhaps the marketing wasn't there or that Alien games (and films) haven't done well the past few/several years to not inspire further chances from the consumer base.

Not surprised with the 3DS. Traditional portable gaming is just never going to reach the heights from the past and will likely continue to trend downwards as other options continue to fit their function.

Haven't played it, but SO sales are disappointing to me, though not surprising. Same with Bayo2.

Busaiku

If he didn't have the PS3 number how could he say it slightly outsold it then? Also I assume you mean John Harker, not creamsugar.

Again, I'm saying while Bayonetta 2 outsold Bayonetta on PS3, it could still have sold less than Bayonetta on 360 (in Japan).
We don't have the floor for Bayonetta on PS3 (besides that it sold more than Tatsunoko vs Capcom Ultimate All Stars and No More Heroes 2, the latter of which was >30k).

Again, I'm saying while Bayonetta 2 outsold Bayonetta on PS3, it could still have sold less than Bayonetta on 360 (in Japan).
We don't have the floor for Bayonetta on PS3 (besides that it sold more than Tatsunoko vs Capcom Ultimate All Stars and No More Heroes 2, the latter of which was >30k).

I don't think you understand what I'm saying. Let's just forget it.

Resistance was pretty big prior to Resistance 2. Resistance 2 even did pretty well, but that game alone stopped the franchise dead in its tracks. Resistance was Sony's holiday flagship shooter. Killzone was always releasing in Feb, comfortably away from Resistance. They had a great opportunity but it was squandered with R2, which had a major identity crisis and also substantial quality control problems. Quality issues could be blamed on Sony if they forced them to rush it out the door but that didn't excuse all the terrible design decisions they had planned for that installment. Resistance 1 was smart - it was a quality launch title that leveraged network features and heck, it arrived at a time where it was possible to break into the FPS genre without facing the juggernaut that was Modern Warfare. R2 was self-inflicted franchise seppuku, imo. Going into Resistance 2, Insomniac frankly was the playstation developer to beat. Sony backed them big time at E3 and elsewhere. At that point Uncharted 1 also wasn't quite as successful as Resistance 1, the difference really is in how they handled their respective sequels.

I think Insomniac tried to do too much too fast, alternating Resistance and Ratchet every year.
Yeah I do remember a lot of people being upset that Resistance 2 went for the CoD route in the campaign, multiplayer, and only allowing you to hold two weapons. It was a very uninspired non-Insomniac game looking back on it. As someone who was a huge Insomniac fan in the ps2 era it's pretty sad to see them struggle like this. They still make good games, with the exception of FUSE, but it just seems like something is missing. I guess that special connection they had with Sony years ago just ran out.

dude it's not that hard, he used the approximation SwiftDeath gave him instead of actually digging through a super old NPD report to find the original Bayonetta sales

besides 70k is bad enough, no need to lower it further!

In lieu of the little info we have coming in, I have to say Simpsons arguments are a nice alternative.

Could be worse. You guys could be making Seinfeld references or eating at Arby's.

*shivers*
No soup for you?

Anyway, creamsugar posted a pie graph; it's just that all the segments and lines are white.

Busaiku

dude it's not that hard, he used the approximation SwiftDeath gave him instead of actually digging through a super old NPD report to find the original Bayonetta sales

besides 70k is bad enough, no need to lower it further!

SwiftDeath is referring to the very same stuff, creasmsugar's hints.
John Harker simply said it's more than the PS3 game, which isn't necessarily 66k, it could be anywhere between 30k and 66k.

StevieP

Banned
In lieu of the little info we have coming in, I have to say Simpsons arguments are a nice alternative.

Could be worse. You guys could be making Seinfeld references or eating at Arby's.

*shivers*

Hey I like the beef n chedder! No soup for you! (Edit: damnit shinra)

We have?

It has been a long long time since we got all the hardware numbers on NPD Thursday.

If they were any good you'd see them in the pr statements

sörine

Banned
SwiftDeath is referring to the very same stuff, creasmsugar's hints.
John Harker simply said it's more than the PS3 game, which isn't necessarily 66k, it could be anywhere between 30k and 66k.
Harker said it was slightly more than the PS3 number SD listed. So slightly higher than 66k.

If AniHawk's post is anything to go by Bayo 360 only sold 30% better than B2 (which also had an extra 2 weeks in the NPD and significantly more hype/advertising/shipments/userbase).

Hey the positive in all this is if we don't get any other hardware sales, I'm going to do great in the predictions with just that Wii U estimate :p

Hey the positive in all this is if we don't get any other hardware sales, I'm going to do great in the predictions with just that Wii U estimate :p
I don't even know if donny would bother with it, I mean, we don't even have platform ordering. Although the main question-marks there would probably be 360 vs Wii U and where the 3DS falls, although likely lower than XBO.

maybe clearing stock down for new bundles?

I'm guessing that the GTAV bundle will be $400 and the official holiday bundle (i.e. fully on sale from next week through Xmas), and that GTAV+TLOU is their Black Friday/while supplies last bundle. And that Amazon is either not ordering plain PS4s to make room for the bundle, or stockpiling plain PS4s in preparation to sell a huge amount of them that week (possibly countering Walmart's $400 - $50 gift card deal, for example).

Does anyone have an estimate of the PS4 and XB1 sales for the month?

I don't think Insomniac regrets their decision that much. They backed the wrong horse, but Sunset Overdrive hasn't even been on sale for a full month. For all we know, the game might perform much better in November.

They're getting a ton of support from MS, great for Insomniac but I'm not sure whether the platform itself actually benefitted from bundling a game like SO and whether the IP itself is actually going to gain a strong fanbase.

Being a diplomatic guy, Ted Price might never admit having bet on the wrong horse, I wonder if there will be any way for them to jump on the PS4 bandwagon at this point with a genuine blockbuster product instead of just more Ratchet and Clank since there probably isn't much appetite for another Ratchet game, MS will likely have first right of refusal on SO and I'm not really sure if the IP even has broad commercial appeal, nobody from Insomniac will ever admit that bridges were burnt with Sony at least to some degree, it's almost like they're always thinking the grass is always greener on the other side.

Top Bottom