• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2009

Serenity

mr_bishiuk said:
Well the Sony voters are by far the most vocal especially at getting involved in other systems threads.

I think a more telling poll was the one for GTA IV where every mod voted that they were buying the game on PS3 rather than 360 despite the promised DLC on the former. Also simple things give it away like being able to say Xbot and M$ while abbreviating Sony Defence Force is bannable and so on.

You've got to be kidding especially since you and people like you post in every thread with the words sony, ps3, ps2 or psp in it. If writing SDF was bannable then half the board would be banned because that is the go to meme when arguing on this board. Stoney mason and mujun would be permabanned because half their post contain sdf or sony fanboy. If anything this board is more nintendo centric then any I post on.

Threi

notag
belvedere said:
Definitely a lot of people who love to hate Sony here. I'd love to know where you all came from, disgruntled early DC adopters or something?
Sony killed my father and raped my mother and I will hate them forever and ever.

cuz...ya know...every employee in sony is responsible. And any defenders of them as well, they are my personal enemies too.

There. Your thoughts expressed as a post.

Shurs said:
So you were attempting to make a point about disappointing software sales on PS3 this month?

I don't think there was any "attempt" about it. I was making a point. Is it a victory now to have the fewest software sales, even in months where your hardware beats all competition? A victory to have your very best effort on a big third party game to date be a statistical tie?

That's what rational observers call disappointing.

Shurs said:
I think it certainly goes against the myth that PS3 owners don't buy games when a game has a lower than 2-1 360 to PS3 ratio.
clearly the average person buying a system buys more games for it than the average person who already owns a system. software sales will naturally skew more towards whatever sold the most that month more than usual.

is it a bigger factor than install base? i'd say evidently not, but it's still an important factor that has an observable effect.

Arkham Asylum was undoubtedly helped by the rejuvinated PS3 sales. I know I sold it to more new PS3 owners than not, and it was certainly something people buying PS3s were excited to play. That and the fact it had no online play to speak of (removing any online network preferences that often seem to skew to the 360) as well as only marginal performance differences and additional content helped drive the PS3 game to higher heights.

on the 360 you could argue that we're seeing something similar to what happened to Prototype on PS3 when it had to compete with a big exclusive on the platform.

there's clearly reasons for the PS3 version to have performed so well. some won't apply to every multiplatform game here on out, but i think it's fair to say that it's still something Sony will be very happy about... and expect them to push for more exclusive content down the line.

this month hasn't really been surprising to me... not downplaying any of the achievements. it'll be a month or so before we can tell the difference between rejuvinated interest in the PS3 and a normal post price drop sales spike. it'll be a month or so before we can see the full effect of the PSP Go, and the Wii price cut.

the 360 didn't have a price cut. just the same as the PS3 didn't have a price cut when the 40 gig model turned into the 80 gig model. that did shit all for the PS3, and it's done little for the 360 as expected. $100 price cut? don't make me fucking laugh.

the 360 had decent sales in a month thanks to bundling, clearing retail of the Pro at an appealing price, and being spurred on by a great advertising campaign for a big exclusive in Halo 3: ODST. we'll see how sales do next month without a big exclusive to help prop up sales, and any sales spike caused by clearing out the Pros at $250 will be all but gone.

it's next month where we'll start to see how things are.

there's so many reasons to bite your tongue this month when trying to push ANY agenda be it that Sony have done amazingly or worse than expected.

next month's NPD is going to be big, and then Nov and Dec obviously will be big news as they always are. Nov is stacked with software titles and looks set to be a potential record breaker... Dec... who will parents pick for christmas? Will it spur on the bundled games like Ride, DJ Hero, Guitar Hero 5 and RB: Beatles as much as some predict?

Serenity said:
You've got to be kidding especially since you and people like you post in every thread with the words sony, ps3, ps2 or psp in it. If writing SDF was bannable then half the board would be banned because that is the go to meme when arguing on this board. Stoney mason and mujun would be permabanned because half their post contain sdf or sony fanboy. If anything this board is more nintendo centric then any I post on.

how stupid are you, I never post in Sony threads, check my post history if you find something it'll be waaaaaaay back and yes that abbreviation is bannable

Johann

It looks the like music genre continues its decline since late 2007. I wonder when the licensing fees, the volatile manufacturing costs, and the stagnate growth will catch up to them. I can't help but be skeptical about the upcoming peripheral music games. If Activision starts losing money on this (they have the best brand name and hardware margins with the genre), then everyone is screwed.

The real upside for Rock Band is that it actually has a competent release schedule. Although, they should have considered a PS2 version and released DLC on a compilation disc.

RSTEIN

Comics, serious business!
GAF is definitely Sony-centric. The Sony fans are far, far more vocal and outrageous. What else could explain the KZ2 thread? Fuck, that was an embarassment. The constant K2 gifs? The constant Uncharted nonsense? The GT5 vs. Forza 3 thread? The repeated claims that "the year of the PS3" is around the corner? It all gets really exhausting.

What's funny is that I actually think the PS3 has a far more impressive software lineup than the 360. K2 and Uncharted are phenomenal! But it's just ridiculous when the fanboys come out and repeat the same stuff over and over and over again. It's like each hardcore Sony fanboy sees it as their own personal mission to make sure they scream as loudly as possible about how much they love their PS3. I don't know if it's because of the power shift this gen, but there's a huge inferiority complex going on.

Overall, I find the 360 and Wii fans to be a bit more relaxed about things. There's far less cheerleading. Sure, they get out of control every once and a while but far less often and they don't approach the extremes that the Sony crowd gets to.

Shurs

elrechazao said:
I don't think there was any "attempt" about it. I was making a point. Is it a victory now to have the fewest software sales, even in months where your hardware beats all competition? A victory to have your very best effort on a big third party game to date be a statistical tie?

That's what rational observers call disappointing.

So what you're saying is because every PS3 owner didn't buy two games for every one game that Xbox 360 owners bought this month, Sony should be disappointed?

TruHero

Banned
mr_bishiuk said:
I don't think Pr0cs was talking about this thread in particular more GAF in general at all times, and it is very much a sony-centric forum

I know I'm just a lowly, insignificant Junior, but I do agree with this.

There seems to be a very large pro-PS3 crowd here...far more than any other group. Members are allowed to get away with "M$" and "Xbot" and every XBL thread seems to turn into an anti-XBL thread with people calling XBL subscribers idiots and coporate pawns.

But hey, this is just one lowly Junior's opinion. Please don't ban me, mods.

Opiate

Okay, I'll make a prediction we can discuss:

I do not, personally, believe Uncharted 2 will be on top next month. It will do fine, but significantly below the optimistic expectations. I think it's seen as a late comer / copycat in the already saturated shooter market. In general, games which are seen as high quality (such as Uncharted 2) but are also seen as copy cats tend to be less well recieved by the public than you might otherwise expect.

Examples off this include Forza (which has historically sold 1/4 or 1/5 as much as GT, despite similar reviews), Killzone, and Rock Band. Other examples include Ratchet and Clank (although some would argue this is no longer a platformer) and Yu Gi Oh.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Ugh. Anyways...

Opiate said:

I do not, personally, believe Uncharted 2 will be on top next month. It will do fine, but significantly below the optimistic expectations. I think it's seen as a late comer / copycat in the already saturated shooter market. In general, games which are seen as high quality (such as Uncharted 2) but are also seen as copy cats tend to be less well recieved by the public than you might otherwise expect.

Examples off this include Forza (which has historically sold 1/4 or 1/5 as much as GT, despite similar reviews), Killzone, and Rock Band. Other examples include Ratchet and Clank (although some would argue this is no longer a platformer) and Yu Gi Oh.
Uncharted 2 will come in about 6-10. I don't think Ratchet will chart. I have no clue how Forza will do.

Opiate said:

What is it competing against? I can't think of what might beat it. Does the wiisports resort price cut/wii+ bundle go into effect? That might beat it. I doubt borderlands beats it, unless you combine both 360 and ps3 versions.

Although uncharted will only have what, 7-9 days or so of sales in the next npd period? That game's gotta be pretty frontloaded though (not that it won't have legs, but I bet it will sell a lot up front then be a slow burner for...well, ever)

Opiate

elrechazao said:
What is it competing against? I can't think of what might beat it. Does the wiisports resort price cut/wii+ bundle go into effect? That might beat it. I doubt borderlands beats it, unless you combine both 360 and ps3 versions.

Although uncharted will only have what, 7-9 days or so of sales in the next npd period? That game's gotta be pretty frontloaded though (not that it won't have legs, but I bet it will sell a lot up front then be a slow burner for...well, ever)

Forza, Wii Fit Plus, and Wii Sports Resort all come to mind as possibilities. I don't think my list is exhaustive, either.

Opiate said:
Forza, Wii Fit Plus, and Wii Sports Resort all come to mind as possibilities. I don't think my list is exhaustive, either.

I don't think forza will beat it, although who knows. Racing games seem on a decline. I bet WSR takes number one next month

I'd guess (in relation to each other, not 1-4 on the chart)-
WSR
odst ?
Uncharted
Forza
WF+

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
Man NPDs are funny ... Never fails with Bitter tears, hyperbole, overly defensive comments, spin, mis-information, attacks, GIFs ... I love it.

Barrett2

Opiate said:

IIRC, Uncharted 2 was not in the top 20 in the latest software "intent to purchase" numbers. I am not sure how reliable those historically are. Anyone know?

Plus, I would think the Gay Tony GTA expansion will sell a lot of copies. They are heavily marketing the game.

Shurs

Opiate said:

Halo 3 ODST (it will definitely chart again)
NBA 2K9
Borderlands

clashfan

Shurs said:
So what you're saying is because every PS3 owner didn't buy two games for every one game that Xbox 360 owners bought this month, Sony should be disappointed?

Considering sony loses money on hardware, I would think low software sales would be considered a disappointment.

belvedere

Junior Butler
WrikaWrek said:
What the fuck, who said sony? I didn't say sony in my post.

What was that? Reflex damage control, like you are in cruise control, good god man.

You're kidding, right?

Edit: You obviously took that way, way too seriously. Ironically, my sarcastic internet joke seemed to be accurate in the end.

sinseers

Patriotsbball5460 said:
Games with shots at the Top 10 for October imo...

Uncharted 2
Brutal Legend(only 360)
Borderlands
Demon's Souls(Dont think it will)
Wii Sports Resort
Tekken 6(Dont think it will)
FIFA 10
WWE SVR(360 only)
Forza 3
Ratchet and Clank
ODST

Just throwing diff games out there..

Regulus Tera reminded me about Wii Fit Plus, can't forget that!

OK here's my Oct top 10:

1. UC2
2. DJ Hero (360)
3. M&L 3
4. Forza 3
5. WWE SVR (360)
6. ODST
7. WWE SVR (PS3)
8. Wii Sports Resort
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. DJ Hero (PS3)

Threi

notag
Duke Togo said:
Hurt feelings all around. Any way you swing it, success for Sony seems to hit a nerve in this place.
Really? The new ad campaign + PS3 Slim always puts a smile on my face. Its like "yes the old Sony is back". I love it.

but then again I can't have negative feelings towards a plastic toy so I won't understand that mentality.

TruHero

Banned
PistolGrip said:
Man NPDs are funny ... Never fails with Bitter tears, hyperbole, overly defensive comments, spin, mis-information, attacks, GIFs ... I love it.

Yeah man, I really enjoy the GIFs.:lol

GAF has some very talented people.

sinseers said:
OK here's my Oct top 10:

1. UC2
2. DJ Hero (360)
3. M&L 3
4. Forza 3
5. WWE SVR (360)
6. ODST
7. WWE SVR (PS3)
8. Wii Sports Resort
9. Borderlands (PS3)
10. DJ Hero (PS3)

Any reason you think borderlands ps3 outsells 360 given the history of multiplats on both systems? That's a bold dj hero pick though, I like it :D I think it's wrong but I like it :p

Opiate

And more to the center of my point, the literal position of the game in the charts isn't really all that relevant. I mean, it makes for a snappy prediction, but my real point is: "I think Uncharted 2 will sell less than optimistic expectations would suggest." I'm not talking about crazy predictions, but generally optimistic ones. I think it will do well under 500k units sold.

Some of you may agree with me instantly, but consider that it's a high budget, well produced shooter with a 97 metacritic average and a strong marketing campaign. It has been lined up as Sony's big exclusive for the Holidays. It has absolutely everything going for it.

Shurs

Opiate said:
And more to the center of my point, the literal position of the game in the charts isn't really all that relevant. I mean, it makes for a snappy prediction, but my real point is: "I think Uncharted 2 will sell less than optimistic expectations would suggest." I'm not talking about crazy predictions, but generally optimistic ones. I think it will do well under 500k units sold.

Some of you may agree with me instantly, but consider that it's a high budget, well produced shooter with a 97 metacritic average and a strong marketing campaign. It has been lined up as Sony's big exclusive for the Holidays. It has absolutely everything going for it.

Nice job stealth editing 500k for 400k. :lol

RSTEIN said:
GAF is definitely Sony-centric. The Sony fans are far, far more vocal and outrageous. What else could explain the KZ2 thread? Fuck, that was an embarassment. The constant K2 gifs? The constant Uncharted nonsense? The GT5 vs. Forza 3 thread? The repeated claims that "the year of the PS3" is around the corner? It all gets really exhausting.

What's funny is that I actually think the PS3 has a far more impressive software lineup than the 360. K2 and Uncharted are phenomenal! But it's just ridiculous when the fanboys come out and repeat the same stuff over and over and over again. It's like each hardcore Sony fanboy sees it as their own personal mission to make sure they scream as loudly as possible about how much they love their PS3. I don't know if it's because of the power shift this gen, but there's a huge inferiority complex going on.

Overall, I find the 360 and Wii fans to be a bit more relaxed about things. There's far less cheerleading. Sure, they get out of control every once and a while but far less often and they don't approach the extremes that the Sony crowd gets to.

It's the obnoxious level of thread crapping they're willing to do. Even a good multiplatform game thread will get crapped in about how PS3 exclusive X does these things so much better but gamers are too stupid to recognize this, etc.. etc.. etc..

I love Uncharted 2 but I have 0 intention of going in there to post my impressions. God forbid I have the nerve to critique anything about the game. A long time ago I learned to simply ignore fanatics in all walks of life. In this hobby, most of these fanatics seem to be tied to Sony and I see no reason to conversate with them. I will admit, it's amusing to watch them turn on eachother on occassion.

As for the numbers: Great PS3 numbers. Surprised to see 360 up yoy since the price of entry hasn't changed. Wii numbers still great despite "musings." ODST owning like it's expected and 360 continuing to sell software while the PS3 software also sold good with new buyers.

septnpd2009.jpg

Opiate said:

Uncharted 2's only real problem I think is that it's only got a month lead on the more marketable games coming next month. I think it'll do well in October, but failing something being terribly wrong with MW2's multiplayer I think it's legs won't be particularly great.

I think it does better at retail than the first one, comfortably, but i still think it ends up getting bundled down the line.

maybe I'm giving MW2 too much credit, but the hype building for it is scary. i honestly think it's going to single handedly ensure that no other multiplayer game really catches on until next summer at the earliest... which as ever will be a real shame.

also, you seriously put Yu Gi Oh with all those other games? I'd call stealth troll but I know you aren't the type.

Replicant

RSTEIN said:

Yeah, but they're a lot more bitter and bitchier. There's also the "holier than thou" attitude. So in the overall scheme of things, everything's equal.

typhonsentra said:

:lol :lol :lol

Zihark

I just love how when people talk of next month's NPD top 10-they leave out a Wii/DS game- I definitely think Mario and Sonic will chart.

Top Bottom