• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD Sales Results for September 2009

chubigans said:
Cmon man, it's obvious what's going on. Sony is doing well, so Sony fans are in the thread. People who don't like that are steering clear of the thread because they don't want any unnecessary bannage. At other times, it was Microsoft beating down the competition and MS fans were posting away.

This isn't some grand Sony fans clogging GAF conspiracy, it's just the way the NPD thread goes.

I don't think Pr0cs was talking about this thread in particular more GAF in general at all times, and it is very much a sony-centric forum

Opiate

Games in the top 20:

360: 8
PS3: 5
DS: 4
Wii: 3

However, based on the wording in Microsoft's PR, it seems likely the Wii sold more software overall.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
mr_bishiuk said:
I don't think Pr0cs was talking about this thread in particular more GAF in general at all times, and it is very much a sony-centric forum
Oh. Well then that's his opinion. :p

I think the relevance of these sales threads are quickly coming to a close. The basics are no matter what happens from here on out the PS3 will not be considered a universal success given the sales of previous Sony consoles and the 360 will not be considered a failure given it has already surpassed Xbox sales.

Anything else derived from this gen is just a bunch of fanboys splitting hairs trumping up their console of choice.

antiloop

mr_bishiuk said:

We need a graph on this. Come on graph age!

Magni

sinseers said:
You've touched on the point I have been pondering for some time now. I think sim racers may be hitting a plateau for the rest of this gen. I can fully see arcade racers making some sort of comeback (I'm really banking on split second to head the charge but MKWii is certainly making great argument). The thing for me is one you as a dev have captured as much realism you possibly can to pack into your game, can it really still be classified as a game anymore? I thought the purpose of gaming was to escape reality for a spell. I wonder if other consumers are starting to feel the same when it comes to sim racers.

That's right, every weekend I go ride my tricked-out FXX across the Ring, I need to get away from that reality and chuck bananas at go-carts instead :lol

Are games supposed to ignore realistic physics to be considered games?

anh_duong

Banned
npd sales threads have a great deal in common with pmt:

once a month and painfully annoying..

as far as i am concerned they have no place in real gaming - especially since all the consoles are now so well established that sales no longer matter (unless you are a fanboy - don't you hate that word?)

Rlan

Posting again for new page:

Rlan said:
So did you end up having a quiet weekend jvm, or constantly frustrated that you couldn't push out your Analysis? :p

Thinking about it, I'm surprised Need For Speed Shift didn't do better on PS3. It's the only game in town for the year and it's a while until GT5. Forza's looming release would have kept Shift at bay.

September 2008 by Comparison:

top_20_with_units.png

Beatles did less than Rock Band 2 and with more time, but they likely made more based entirely on the expensive box set.

Madden's doing better on Xbox 360 and PS3 this year, Madden PS2 dropped off entirely but Madden PS3 gained nearly 100K more players.

Lostconfused said:
Its not good for the need for speed franchise probably. But are those sales good for the game? Have to wait until we get forza 3 numbers to figure that out i guess.

It's done alright. Undercover came out in November 08 and didn't make it to the Top 20:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3882/npd_behind_the_numbers_november_.php?page=5

So it's likely done as good or better, and has more time going into the Holiday period.

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Rlan said:
Beatles did less than Rock Band 2 and with more time, but they likely made more based entirely on the expensive box set.
Actually, Beatles sold more overall. But Rock Band 2's launch was a monumental fuck up and only the 360 version was released last September.

Rlan

Archie said:
Actually, Beatles sold more overall. But Rock Band 2's launch was a monumental fuck up and only the 360 version was released last September.

Aha, that's right. Also it was GAME ONLY for a while there, wasn't it? It was a month later when the bundles popped up.

Shurs said:
It's actually not bad when considering their respective install bases.

Install base hasn't be relevant for years now. The 360 and wii managed to move hundreds of thousands of games each month for multiple titles when they had the install base that the PS3 has now. If install base really mattered as much as people think it does, 360 and wii games would be selling in the millions each month and ps3 would never chart at all.

anh_duong said:

as far as i am concerned they have no place in real gaming - especially since all the consoles are now so well established that sales no longer matter (unless you are a fanboy - don't you hate that word?)

The only people who would say something like this are the unfonformed. So I'd recommend you stop embarrassing yourself.

Rlan said:
It's done alright. Undercover came out in November 08 and didn't make it to the Top 20:

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/3882/npd_behind_the_numbers_november_.php?page=5

So it's likely done as good or better, and has more time going into the Holiday period.
Right but EA was willing to make some drastic changes after undercover. So there is an improvement here, I am just wondering if EA is satisfied with that or how will they move forward with the NFS series.

gregor7777 said:
It really is surprising that some people don't see it. More so as you and Chubigans tend to post in Sony topics.
Really? I never noticed it either.

Evlar

Banned
pr0cs said:
Which of my statements is incorrect?
pr0cs said:
GAF is very PS3 centric so it's to be expected. The reality is the majority of normal people are too busy playing games to give a shit about any of the sales-age.
The bolded one can be demonstrated to be incorrect. This is the last Hardware Bias poll thread (that I'm aware of): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162556 It's over two years old, but it's more authoritative on the tastes of GAF than seat-of-the-pants guesses in this NPD thread. In summary, the aggregate total of voters for each manufacturer:

Sony: 372 voters
Microsoft: 393 voters
Nintendo: 493 voters

Archie

Second-rate Anihawk
Rlan said:
Aha, that's right. Also it was GAME ONLY for a while there, wasn't it? It was a month later when the bundles popped up.
iirc:

September - 360 software and hardware only (no bundles)
October - PS3 software and PS3/360 bundles
December - Wii software and bundles

RB2 was and still is (no Australian version lol) an epic disaster in terms of how they handled it.

But you are technically correct that RB2 360 outsold Beatles 360 in September.

Barrett2

anh_duong said:

No offense, but these are always far and away the most embarrassing posts in the NPD threads. The idea that it is improper to discuss the business side of a multi-billion dollar industry is very juvenile. You are essentially arguing that "real gamers" are uninformed dopes who should simply be grateful that sweet games show up at the mall once in a while.

Plus, I hate to break it to you, but many of the "fanboys" arguing in here are people like me, who own multiple consoles and mostly argue for entertainment value.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Evlar said:
The bolded one can be demonstrated to be incorrect. This is the last Hardware Bias poll thread (that I'm aware of): http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=162556 It's over two years old, but it's more authoritative on the tastes of GAF than seat-of-the-pants guesses in this NPD thread. In summary, the aggregate total of voters for each manufacturer:

Entirely meaningless as IT'S OVER TWO YEARS OLD.

Opiate

I think it's "HD home console" centric. Since we're shooting from the hip here.

As another poster just said, I think it's clearly not PC, Wii, PSP, iPhone or DS centric. That leaves PS3 and 360 to fight over the throne, and frankly, they share so many games that I don't think it really matters.

It's HD home console centric. If it were Sony centric, I think we'd see a good deal more PSP threads, but I rarely see any discussion of it outside major launches like the PSPGo.

Evlar said:

Well the Sony voters are by far the most vocal especially at getting involved in other systems threads.

I think a more telling poll was the one for GTA IV where every mod voted that they were buying the game on PS3 rather than 360 despite the promised DLC on the former. Also simple things give it away like being able to say Xbot and M$ while abbreviating Sony Defence Force is bannable and so on.

Rlan

Lostconfused said:
Right but EA was willing to make some drastic changes after undercover. So there is an improvement here, I am just wondering if EA is satisfied with that or how will they move forward with the NFS series.

Yeah. Considering Shift is a new engine and new team it probably cost more to develop, but it was a necessary move after the shit Undercover was doing - lagging behind in almost every way.

The businessmen in charge who crave metacritic scores will most likely be satisfied - Undercover sits at 64 while Shift sits at 83. Even if it cost them more and makes them less now, in the long term it'll hold on far better.

I would like to see how well NFS Nitro goes after the crash of Spyborgs and Dead Space Extraction.

Shurs

elrechazao said:
Install base hasn't be relevant for years now. The 360 and wii managed to move hundreds of thousands of games each month for multiple titles when they had the install base that the PS3 has now. If install base really mattered as much as people think it does, 360 and wii games would be selling in the millions each month and ps3 would never chart at all.

I think it certainly goes against the myth that PS3 owners don't buy games when a game has a lower than 2-1 360 to PS3 ratio.

Loudninja

Opiate said:
I think it's "HD home console" centric. Since we're shooting from the hip here.

As another poster just said, I think it's clearly not PC, Wii, PSP, iPhone or DS centric. That leaves PS3 and 360 to fight over the throne, and frankly, they share so many games that I don't think it really matters.

It's HD home console centric.

I agree with this.

Evlar said:
I disagree.

Do you know how many new members this forum has taken on since then?

Remember we used to have a thread every time they'd let in new members?

Safe Bet said:
Is the "GAF is Sony-biased!!!" thing as bad as "The western media is in Microsoft's pocket!!!" thing?

I don't see anyone saying "biased".

But I'd certainly say there are far more "Sony fans" here than any other group. Maybe even combined.

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
EDarkness said:
Unfortunately for them, I have already purchased a bunch of those kinds of games and I'm totally burned out. I played HotD:O, HotD 2&3, and Umbrella Chronicles to death. Those games are awesome. I'm not saying that Extraction isn't a good game, but it's like music games to me. There are simply too many of them, and I'm enjoying the ones I have. However, a good adventure game is something I can't get on the Wii, that would have made the most sense instead of a lightgun game.
I am definitely in the same boat. This will be the first year that I don't buy a music/rhythm game as I have several already, and with Ghost Squad, HOTD:Overkill and HOTD2/3 in my collection, I am just not feeling the need to get another lightgun game anytime soon, no matter how good it is. I did pick up the original Dead Space for PC though just recently, so the one thing I can see that will get me interested in DS:E is if I get interested in the universe/characters they created in the original game.

WrikaWrek

Banned
I think there are much more 360 and Nintendo gamers than PS3 ones at GAf.

The problem is the amount of "personalities" that the PS3 crowd has around here. They are louder than the rest, much louder.

Safe Bet

Banned
gregor7777 said:
But I'd certainly say there are far more "Sony fans" here than any other group. Maybe even combined.
Are we talking about the same forum that's had a Halo thread on the front page for the last five years straight?

Threi

notag
GAF needs less console fans, and more game franchise fans.

*looks at Killzone fans*

...actually...I don't know what GAF needs.

FrankT

mr_bishiuk said:
Well the Sony voters are by far the most vocal especially at getting involved in other systems threads.

I think a more telling poll was the one for GTA IV where every mod voted that they were buying the game on PS3 rather than 360 despite the promised DLC on the former. Also simple things give it away like being able to say Xbot and M$ while abbreviating Sony Defence Force is bannable and so on.

Hey there was one that went with 360. :D

belvedere

Junior Butler
WrikaWrek said:

The problem is the amount of "personalities" that the PS3 crowd has around here. They are louder than the rest, much louder.

Definitely a lot of people who love to hate Sony here. I'd love to know where you all came from, disgruntled early DC adopters or something?

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
WrikaWrek said:

RARRRRRRR!!!!!!!
2q1dvea.gif

Shurs said:
I think it certainly goes against the myth that PS3 owners don't buy games when a game has a lower than 2-1 360 to PS3 ratio.

And it's notable for being an exception, which has a very good explanation.

Opiate

Oh geez, come on people. We're pushing these conclusions well past the point that available empirical data supports.

I mean, I feel uncomfortable enough concluding that this isn't a PC/Wii/DS/PSP forum, even though that should be obvious and I don't see anyone arguing otherwise.

sinseers

Bizzyb said:
November is generally the best month for videogame/console sales. Not saying it will surpass Wii again, just that it's sales numbers should put it, at least, in the 600-700k range.

I can see that. $299 pushes the possibility of this happening more to the "It's gonna happen" side.

Barrett2

gregor7777 said:
I don't see anyone saying "biased".

I'd almost say that the Sony fans just seem to be more concentrated than the 360 fans. You tend to see the same herd of PS3 fans move into every PS3-exclusive thread, almost to annoying levels. I don't really see the same thing w/ 360 threads; the 360 userbase on GAF appears to be more diffuse in their game playing habits. At least, thats my BS observation.

PistolGrip

sex vacation in Guam
pswii60 said:
YTD 2009...

360: 2,390k
PS3: 1,942k

Basically, PS3 needs to outsell 360 by at least 150k units/month before the end of the year to catch up YTD (and for Greenberg to be wrong about this year).

If Sony maintains momentum with Uncharted 2 and the Slim it could be possible, but I can't help thinking that the 360 value bundles and Modern Warfare marketing/bundle will stop it happening. Race for second place YTD is closer than ever though, LTD is another story.
Not if you count worldwide :) Japan and Europe can easily pick up the slack..

WrikaWrek

Banned
belvedere said:
Definitely a lot of people who love to hate Sony here. I'd love to know where you all came from, disgruntled early DC adopters or something?

What the fuck, who said sony? I didn't say sony in my post.

What was that? Reflex damage control, like you are in cruise control, good god man.

Top Bottom