• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD September 2011 Sales Results [Update 3: FIFA 12, Madden 12, Dead Island]

just a random throw:

Although 360 didn't get a price drop technically, but practically Slim is the equivalent of the price drop for 360, as it has a much more added value without price increase (4GB HD, Wi-fi, considerably better hardware design), Don't forget that they did drop the previous models price by $50 when Slim was released.

Also, Kinect was released at $150, but now it is $100 in the bundle, which I believe is where Kinect sales is mostly coming from.

Any further price will effectively be the second drop that 360 has seen since Slim got released.

Mindlog

walking fiend said:
just a random throw:

Although 360 didn't get a price drop technically, but practically Slim is the equivalent of the price drop for 360, as it has a much more added value without price increase (4GB HD, Wi-fi, considerably better hardware design), Don't forget that they did drop the previous models price by $50 when Slim was released.

Also, Kinect was released at $150, but now it is $100 in the bundle, which I believe is where Kinect sales is mostly coming from.

Any further price will effectively be the second drop that 360 has seen since Slim got released.
Weird how we can consider that an effective price drop when the ASP was steadily rising. I am really intrigued as to whether the PS3 and 360 ASP streams crossed.

Globox_82

Banned
ThisWreckage said:
Sony would have easily outsold Microsoft if they dropped to 199.99. 50 bucks was too low.
Yeah but at this point it's lost battle. They will never win in NA. So why not make profit instead. I think it was smart move to cut only 50. I am sure they are making profit on hardware at this point.

Mizzou Gaming said:
Yeah as a 360 owner I'd love to see Microsoft broaden their first party offerings but I completely understand why they are not going that way. From a business perspective Microsoft has been brilliant at combining their first party software with their third party software releases.
Thing is ppl tout PS3 exclusives as some sort of killer app, but from a business perspective they don't move consoles. The last PS3 exclusive that saw any significant console hardware bump was MGS4 way back in 2008. MS are probably not sweating too much given how successful things are for them and the sales performance of PS3 exclusives not pushing them to try harder creating a bigger 1st party portfolio. As lazy as that is it really goes to show how significant the right decisions can dominate the marketplace.

Globox_82

Banned
I wonder whos buying these many FIFA copies in USA all of a sudden? Latino population? I know football(ugh soccer) is huge in Mexico (like over here in EU).

Mindlog said:
Weird how we can consider that an effective price drop when the ASP was steadily rising. I am really intrigued as to whether the PS3 and 360 ASP streams crossed.
Kinect bundles have caused the bulk of increase in ASP, it is much closer to 200 than to 300 when you exclude them: using data jvm provided, if I remember correctly, I reached at $235 being the ASP while reducing $100 for Kinect bundles; and I suspect Kinect bundles, as long as hardware is considered, are less profitable than bare 360, as they could sell kinects at a higher price without bundling them. Also I believe an arcade at 200 could be more profitable than an slim elite at 300.

I wonder whos buying these many FIFA copies in USA all of a sudden? Latino population? I know football(ugh soccer) is huge in Mexico (like over here in EU).
Do we have numbers?

Globox_82

Banned
CadetMahoney said:
Thing is ppl tout PS3 exclusives as some sort of killer app, but from a business perspective they don't move consoles. The last PS3 exclusive that saw any significant console hardware bump was MGS4 way back in 2008. MS are probably not sweating too much given how successful things are for them and the sales performance of PS3 exclusives not pushing them to try harder creating a bigger 1st party portfolio. As lazy as that is it really goes to show how significant the right decisions can dominate the marketplace.
As exclusive PS3 owner and a fan, I have to sadly agree.

BKK

walking fiend said:
Do we have numbers?

FIFA 09 did about 300k across 360 and PS3, I'd imagine both FIFA 10 and FIFA 11 would have seen an increase since then, they saw big increases in UK at least.

Globox_82 said:
No, but it's number 4. Regardless on how many systems it was released, that's very high spot.
not really, I think there's a HUGE drop from #2 to #3; during slow weeks even a game like NSMB can chart at like 100K.

FIFA 09 did about 300k across 360 and PS3, I'd imagine both FIFA 10 and FIFA 11 would have seen an increase since then, they saw big increases in UK at least.
I agree, it may have sold like 400K more or less, but no where near as NCAA or Madden; I think dead island and Fifa being at #3 and #4 are giving people a wrong image of the numbers, specially comparing them to #2 doing 2m.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
walking fiend said:
Do we have numbers?
Somewhat.

The Guardian said:
The Guardian: Fifa is EA's biggest title worldwide … it's also the biggest launch and the fastest-selling sports game ever. How does it do in markets where that isn't the case – such as North America and Australia?

Andrew Wilson: We aren't releasing territory specific data just yet, but we had 2.2m sell-through in week one. What's interesting about North America is that it's one of our fastest-growing territories for Fifa and it has been for a few years since the 2006 World Cup. It's actually, right now, challenging as the biggest territory for Fifa sales.

The UK is still the strongest, but the USA is up there. Now, in Australia, we've seen tremendous growth since 2006, mainly because Australia was in that World Cup. We didn't have shining performances… (laughs), but hey, we didn't lose every game! It's growing, and even as the Rugby World Cup is going on in that part of the world right now, Fifa's numbers have been very strong. I'm actually quite happy to see my homeland doing it for Fifa.
Source: http://www.guardian.co.uk/technolog...-sports-andrew-wilson-interview?newsfeed=true

I should probably make a thread about this actually, since it's a pretty fundamental shift.

This interview is a bit old also. They sold through (to consumers) 3.2 million copies in under one week, beating the rough estimates Wilson gave.

FIFA 12 sold 0.97 million in its first two days in the UK.

If these statements are true, FIFA 12 would have to be in like the 700-800K range. o_O

I suspect there's something a bit off there though.

sphinx

the piano man
I know it's been a while but since when did we stop getting PSP HW numbers?

Can a company just tell NPD not to share the numbers?

Have we ever had reliable leaked PSP HW NPD sales figures ever since Sony decided to hide them from the public?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
sphinx said:

Have we ever had reliable leaked PSP HW NPD sales figures ever since Sony decided to hide them from the public?
Analysts sometimes give statements on it, but not often.

sphinx said:

I think it was available for one or two of the previous recent months, it wasn't bad for being a PSP actually.

BKK

sphinx said:

NPD leaves it up to the publisher, manufacturer to release their own numbers.

From Gamasutra;

Wz8mN.png

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Nuclear Muffin said:
Resistance didn't do very well...
FPS and TPS games that aren't the absolute top of the top have been having a lot of trouble lately due to oversaturation.

So far this year Bulletstorm, Killzone 3, and Red Faction 4 also had a lot of issues for this same reason.

There are probably some other high profile ones I'm blanking on that tanked (relative to being AAA production budget/size games) as well.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Saty said:
Wonder if Human Revolution did better than last NPD for it to be at #6.
Given what NHL does on average combined with Resistance's numbers, it would have done a bit worse than last month, but not by much.

Nirolak said:
FPS and TPS games that aren't the absolute top of the top have been having a lot of trouble lately due to oversaturation.

So far this year Bulletstorm, Killzone 3, and Red Faction 4 also had a lot of issues for this same reason.

There are probably some other high profile ones I'm blanking on that tanked (relative to being AAA production budget/size games) as well.

Resistance in 4 weeks did 50-60% worse than Bulletsorm and Killzone did in 5 days. I think this is a case of a specific game tanking rather than the genre.

Nirolak said:

Yeah, I didn't expect it to do well, but even by the series' fairly middling standards it has done really poorly!

Just goes to show much how the FPS/TPS market has converged I guess (of course, that wont stop them from chasing after COD...)

Regarding Deus Ex, NPD and other retail data is only one side of the coin; Deus Ex legacy has been historically on PC and unlike many other games it didn't get any form of significant release on consoles to make it popular there; I believe Digital Distributed versions of Deus Ex should have done exceptionally well considering that's where the bulk of PC sales is coming from.

For comparison, bioshock had shipped 2.2m by june 2008 while it had sold 1m on PC, not happening often, but it is explainable.

Nirolak said:

Yep devs have the wrong reading on the market. They see the success of COD and think that must mean that the market is huge and everyone can grab a slice.

In reality COD and other top players have gobbled up the whole market and are holding onto their fan base.

The market is still huge and there are sales to be had but i don't think devs can afford to keep throwing massive budgets at games in this market. They need to be much more strategic about it.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
bigtroyjon said:
Resistance in 4 weeks did 50-60% worse than Bulletsorm and Killzone did in 5 days. I think this is a case of a specific game tanking rather than the genre.
I don't mean to imply the genre is tanking, just that it is becoming very polarized.

How many people would buy Resistance when they can buy Gears 3/Uncharted 3, Battlefield 3, and Modern Warfare 3 in short succession, and it also has to compete with games like Rage in the smaller seller arena.

CadetMahoney said:

From a sales perspective sure. (And I know that's what this thread is all about). But from a player's perspective, I much prefer Sony's strategy.

Anyway, alright numbers for PS3 this week. And good to see Resistance 3 chart.

Nirolak said:
I don't mean to imply the genre is tanking, just that it is becoming very polarized.

My comment was more about the game itself and not the genre. I think this specific game did crappy because of the game and not the genre it's in. Not sure what to think about the genre at the moment.

Mindlog

walking fiend said:
Kinect bundles have caused the bulk of increase in ASP, it is much closer to 200 than to 300 when you exclude them: using data jvm provided, if I remember correctly, I reached at $235 being the ASP while reducing $100 for Kinect bundles; and I suspect Kinect bundles, as long as hardware is considered, are less profitable than bare 360, as they could sell kinects at a higher price without bundling them. Also I believe an arcade at 200 could be more profitable than an slim elite at 300.
Yes, I understood where that comment was going. A pseudo price-cut as a result of potentially less-profitable hardware. This is in line with Microsoft's value-add mantra.

There is so much speculation in those numbers that's hard to for me to draw any real conclusion from them. I am just amused by how they managed to have some of their healthiest sales during an upswing in ASP. It's just one of many strange trends we've witnessed with this generation of hardware.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Nirolak said:

How many people would buy Resistance when they can buy Gears 3/Uncharted 3, Battlefield 3, and Modern Warfare 3 in short succession, and it also has to compete with games like Rage in the smaller seller arena.

I'm sure Resistance 2 put a lot of people off a third game as well. In this market you can't really afford to put out a bad game in a new-ish franchise.

French

Banned
Not a big difference between the 360 and PS3, which is surprising considering the release of Gears 3. If you add the September numbers from Japan, the PS3 is already ahead of the 360 ( and it sells ~50% more than 360 in Europe ).

But R3 totally bombed, wow.

noobie

Banned
French said:
Not a big difference between the 360 and PS3, which is surprising considering the release of Gears 3. If you add the September numbers from Japan, the PS3 is already ahead of the 360 ( and it sells ~50% more than 360 in Europe ).

do we have any numbers or guesstimate of R3 numbers? if it did over 300k i will not call it a bomb but just a poor performance..

NBtoaster

corkscrewblow said:
Resistance 2 being awful killed the franchise

I really hope no one here didn't buy the game because they didn't like R2, especially if they liked RFOM. A small bit of research would have shown it doesn't take after R2 at all.

Most PS3 exclusives average around 300k first month. It's disappointing to see R3 come below that but it has the advantage of being a better game then the second one. I'd bet it'll see longer legs then R2 over the holidays and its lifetime.

KingDizzi

Banned
Nirolak said:

Uncharted is not in the same league at Gears which is not in the same league as MW and Battlefield. UC3 is going to get destroyed, how Sony thought it would be a good idea releasing that game in November I do not know. Resistance 3 did really badly, kind of feel bad for Insomniac as they had a 3 year cycle for this one. They need to scrap Resistance, Ratchet which will flop even worse and start fresh.

sphinx

the piano man
French said:

you mean Gears 3 was supposed to be a system seller?

I think that absolutely anyone who cares or could potentially care about the Gears IP has already bought a 360 very long ago. Gears 3 appeals to those gamers (360 owners) and I can't wrap my head around anyone having a sudden interest in the 360 because Gears of War 3 is in stores now.

AniHawk

KingDizzi said:
Uncharted is not in the same league at Gears which is not in the same league as MW and Battlefield. UC3 is going to get destroyed, how Sony thought it would be a good idea releasing that game in November I do not know. Resistance 3 did really badly, kind of feel bad for Insomniac as they had a 3 year cycle for this one. They need to scrap Resistance, Ratchet which will flop even worse and start fresh.

...well, uncharted 2 did well in november and this one is riding the critical acclaim that one had plus its own hype with the beta/subway thing going on. it's the biggest franchise title they have this year for their console, just like microsoft's is halo, and nintendo's is zelda.

user_nat

THE WORDS! They'll drift away without the _!
AniHawk said:
...well, uncharted 2 did well in november and this one is riding the critical acclaim that one had plus its own hype with the beta/subway thing going on. it's the biggest franchise title they have this year for their console, just like microsoft's is halo, and nintendo's is zelda.
Uncharted 2 came out in October (537k) and was no where to be seen in November (not in top 20).

AniHawk

user_nat said:
Uncharted 2 came out in October and was no where to be seen in November.

oh, right. that did happen.

i think the series is popular enough now that it can be positioned as the marquee title for the year. last year they pretty much made way for gran turismo 5, which was understandably a bigger priority.

Top Bottom