• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPD September 2011 Sales Results [Update 3: FIFA 12, Madden 12, Dead Island]

BKK

sphinx said:
you mean Gears 3 was supposed to be a system seller?

I think that absolutely anyone who cares or could potentially care about the Gears IP has already bought a 360 very long ago. Gears 3 appeals to those gamers (360 owners) and I can't wrap my head around anyone having a sudden interest in the 360 because Gears of War 3 is in stores now.

People who weren't old enough to play the last one when it released three years ago?

test_account

XP-39C²
Seeing some of these sales number, i fear for Rage :\ Must really suck to have worked that long (7 years or so?) on a game and then it doesnt sell that well.

Biggzy said:
Ouch at R3, think it's time to put that franchise to rest.
Resistance 4, PS4 launch title, belive :) I really want that to happen at least.

AniHawk

Beam said:
Huh? Where did you get the numbers? It´s not in the OP.
from this:

Wz8mN.png

Biggzy

Imp the Dimp said:
Wow, I didn't realize Americans play FIFA.

Well there's a big Latin American population in America, so I would guess it's predominately them who are buying FIFA. It's just a guess however.

Biggzy

test_account said:
Seeing some of these sales number, i fear for Rage :\ Must really suck to have worked that long (7 years or so?) on a game and then it doesnt sell that well.

Resistance 4, PS4 launch title, belive :) I really want that to happen at least.

Think Sony might have other ideas ;)

SkylineRKR

Sony can't or feels it doesn't need to really go all out with their exclusives.

Microsoft releases Halo and Gears, and they easily manage to break 2 million at their debut. These games are being hyped up really good. MS has less own IP's, but when they come around, it shows.

Sony does not have such a franchise. Even GT5 struggled to debut like that. As for Uncharted, I'd be VERY surprised if it debuts at higher than 400k in NA. I think that Uncharted 3 is going to underperform but Sony again saying that its been 'a great month in where we've seen universally praised games like Uncharted 3 being released, only possible on Playstation'.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
KingDizzi said:
Uncharted is not in the same league at Gears which is not in the same league as MW and Battlefield. UC3 is going to get destroyed, how Sony thought it would be a good idea releasing that game in November I do not know. Resistance 3 did really badly, kind of feel bad for Insomniac as they had a 3 year cycle for this one. They need to scrap Resistance, Ratchet which will flop even worse and start fresh.
I listed them together under the assumption that a lot of people only have one console.

We've seen in the past with PS3 exclusives that they heavily eat into the PS3 version of whatever smaller scale game they're launching against even if they're not selling super well.

I feel for this reason that they could also be eating into each other. I imagine there are a lot of people (well, like 100K-ish) who may have considered Resistance 3 if they couldn't just wait a little over a month and get Uncharted 3.

BKK

Biggzy said:
Well there's a big Latin American population in America, so I would guess it's predominately them who are buying FIFA. It's just a guess however.

Right, over 50 million Hispanic or Latinos according to 2010 US census. That's more than the population of Spain.

AniHawk

Beam said:
Uncharted 3 will be neglected and slaughtered next month.
it should at least hit the overall top ten as one of the only exclusives. if i had to guess, it'll look like this (not in any order):

madden 12
nba2k12
just dance 3
modern warfare 3
skyrim
assassin's creed
saints row 3
halo ce
zelda skyward sword
uncharted 3

if we were looking at it by system, uncharted 3 would definitely hit the top ten. battlefield 3 and/or need for speed might take its and saints row's spots.

Snipes424

So with a three year Dev cycle with a AAA budget, selling <187k..... I really hope All 4 One sells. If not, it can't be good for IG :(

Corto

Beam said:

Wishful thinking? The second game was a critical acclaim, increased the IP awareness, and the PS3 user base is of course higher than two years ago. November is crowded yes, but Uncharted 3 should get good numbers nonetheless.

People are starting to get the message now to buy 3DS instead of DS. Numbers should look better for 3DS in Oct. and lead through the holiday.

KingDizzi

Banned
Nirolak said:
I listed them together under the assumption that a lot of people only have one console.

We've seen in the past with PS3 exclusives that they heavily eat into the PS3 version of whatever smaller scale game they're launching against even if they're not selling super well.

I feel for this reason that they could also be eating into each other. I imagine there are a lot of people (well, like 100K-ish) who may have considered Resistance 3 if they couldn't just wait a little over a month and get Uncharted 3.

Well the likes of UC and Resistance just don't stand out, it's that simply really and something Sony should try sorting out. Resistance 3 was a decent SP but lulz MP, UC games have solid SP but the MP is almost tacked on, does not really entice a person to go out and buy the game. The only biggie Sony has is GT, amazing it's all they can come up with after 12+ years. Multiplat games do absolutely fine on PS3 so something is going wrong.

UC3 is seriously going to get fucked badly, again don't forget multiplat games do fine on PS3. BF3 and MW3 for example will each do 2 or 3x what UC3 does on just the PS3, justified at least for the COD games due to them being mint but still. I'd actually say Batman, Revelations and Skyrim on just the PS3 will also beat UC3 so yeah, in terms of selling power Sony has pretty much nothing in NA.

WrikaWrek

Banned
Beam said:

It's no Gears but Uncharted 2 was a big hit, over 3 million sold right?

Sure the hype hasn't been exactly there, and Sony has been trying to fight that by showing most of the game so people don't forget but...

It should at least sell 3 million copies, because people who bought U2 should buy U3.

Corto said:
Wishful thinking? The second game was a critical acclaim, increased the IP awareness, and the PS3 user base is of course higher than two years ago. November is crowded yes, but Uncharted 3 should get good numbers nonetheless.
I am not wishing for anything. Have you seen the upcoming games? Since when casual gamers look for scores to buy games? Between BF, MW, Zelda and Saints Row, i don´t think U3 will do that well. It would do 200-300k in November. I can´t see it beating the previous game but selling more than 500k.

AniHawk

resistance might not stand out, but uncharted certainly will. sony's been promoting it for a while now and seem to have a good lead up to its launch going on. something like uncharted might not set the sales world on fire, but it won't be overlooked/destroyed/annihilated/insert your own word here.

Loudninja

WrikaWrek said:
It's no Gears but Uncharted 2 was a big hit, over 3 million sold right?

Sure the hype hasn't been exactly there, and Sony has been trying to fight that by showing most of the game so people don't forget but...

It should at least sell 3 million copies, because people who bought U2 should buy U3.
Its at 4.9 million now.

Biggzy

AniHawk said:
resistance might not stand out, but uncharted certainly will. sony's been promoting it for a while now and seem to have a good lead up to its launch going on. something like uncharted might not set the sales world on fire, but it won't be overlooked/destroyed/annihilated/insert your own word here.

My thoughts exactly.

Huff

Banned
Beam said:
I am not wishing for anything. Have you seen the upcoming games? Since when casual gamers look for scores to buy games? Between BF, MW, Zelda and Saints Row, i don´t think U3 will do that well. It would do 200-300k in November. I can´t see it beating the previous game but selling more than 500k.

Saints Row? Did 2 sell well enough to consider 3 to be one of the big boys of November?

Sydle

Deadly Joker said:
I wouldn't really call 54k, "dominance".

A month with Gears of War and it only outsells the PS3 by 54k?

That is not dominance.

If you look at things from a year's perspective the 360 has dominated the top spot. Just curious to see if it can retain it through the holiday, or if Wii will come from behind and take the whole year (because there's not a chance in hell PS3 will be a threat).

A few days with Gears, it released on 9/20. PS3 had a price cut the entire month.

With Uncharted 2 at 4.9 million, the good buzz around the franchise and with the larger PS3 userbase, I think Uncharted 3 could be around the million mark on NPD month of release.

Mr.Swag said:
Didnt Uncharted 2 do like 600k first month?

well in october 2009 there were not such games like
- skyrim
- mw3
- H:CE
- AC
- NSF
- SR3
- BF3 (end of october but still..)

and much more..

this time there is much more competition

GarthVaderUK said:
With Uncharted 2 at 4.9 million, the good buzz around the franchise and with the larger PS3 userbase, I think Uncharted 3 could be around the million mark on NPD month of release.
MW3, BF, and Zelda are coming out in the same month you know. No way it will come close to a million.

KingDizzi

Banned
Nirolak said:
SCEJ put out a press release back on October 4th for 4.9 million shipped: http://www.jp.playstation.com/info/release/nr_20111004_uncharted3.html

Damn not bad. Just had a look at Gaf search and there was another thread saying the game had shipped 3.5 million 5 or so months after release. Seeing as though UC2 had a meh first NPD and dropped off after, not too silly to assume that the game sold best in EU?

Still think the game is going to struggle. BW3, MW3, Skyrim, Assassins etc are the big boys and will all be releasing on PS3. UNLESS Sony advertise UC3 like crazy, there is nothing amazing about why the likes of Gears, COD, BF etc sell really well. The amount of marketing money pumped into those franchises are fucking amazing. GT5 here in the UK was advertised to hell and back to seeing as though UC2 sold really well, Sony will probably justify a large advertising budget for UC3.

So long as MW3 does well I'm happy, damn I love that franchise.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Congrats to Space Marine for making the top ten. Well deserved.

Beam said:
MW3, BF, and Zelda are coming out in the same month you know. No way it will come close to a million.

It's the big PS3 exclusive of the holiday though, coming off the back of the hugely successful Uncharted 2, and it has appeal to people not interested in BF or CoD so it may not be overly cannibalised by those titles in particular (Zelda isn't even available on the platform).

Care to hazard a guess at a number? Higher or lower than Uncharted 2's opening month?

GarthVaderUK said:
It's the big PS3 exclusive of the holiday though, coming off the back of the hugely successful Uncharted 2, and it has appeal to people not interested in BF or CoD so it may not be overly cannibalised by those titles in particular (Zelda isn't even available on the platform).

Care to hazard a guess at a number? Higher or lower than Uncharted 2's opening month?
I am saying lower than Uncharted 2. I think U2 sold around 550k. I will say U3 will sell around 300k. I predict that it will sell less than U2.

You do have a point about Zelda :)

Loudninja

The ads, the free beta and the subway promotion, alone with the last game critical acclaim among fans and reviewers will see that it does well in November.

Beam said:
I am saying lower than Uncharted 2. I think U2 sold around 550k. I will say U3 will sell around 300k. It will sell less than U2.
Not happening it will do more that that, dont forget the install base is bigger now as well.

Dabanton

I think Arkham City is going to stall a lot of UC3 sales for now.

It's going to take a couple weeks to do everything. AA was one of these rare games where it was actually enjoyable to 100% it. And AC looks to have expanded that heavily add on DLC and other stuff and yeah.

Between Arkham City and BF3 the following week i don't think i'll have time for UC3 atm.

EagleEyes

AniHawk said:
it should at least hit the overall top ten as one of the only exclusives. if i had to guess, it'll look like this (not in any order):

madden 12
nba2k12
just dance 3
modern warfare 3
skyrim
assassin's creed
saints row 3
halo ce
zelda skyward sword
uncharted 3

if we were looking at it by system, uncharted 3 would definitely hit the top ten. battlefield 3 and/or need for speed might take its and saints row's spots.
Dont forget Dance Central 2 and Kinect Sports: Season Two. I think those will do nice business over the holiday period. KS has sold over 3 million and DC is getting close to 3 million.

Ridley327

AniHawk said:
it sold about half as much as star fox.
Ouch. Even more painful is that it was on sale for two weeks more than Team Ico Collection. It appears that the PSP software curse isn't limited to its actual handheld!

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
EagleEyes said:
Dont forget Dance Central 2 and Kinect Sports: Season Two. I think those will do nice business over the holiday period. KS has sold over 3 million and DC is getting close to 3 million.

Why everyone forget Super Mario 3D land, however?
It's a freakin brand new 3D Mario! XD

Top Bottom