• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NPR: Trump's Election Gives Hope to Europe's Far Right

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seiryoden

A month ago I couldn't conceive of a demographic road that Le Pen could travel to install herself in the Élysée. Not so sure now -_-

Let's get some sort of hopium for Germany:

- Main points of far right are ISIS, terrorism and muslim refugees (aka fear mongering)
- ISIS is going to be de facto defeated in the next few weeks in Iraq
- Syria is still too complicated to give an outlook
- Less and less refugees actually arriving in Germany
- BAMF (ministry for immigration) should clear all open cases in the next few weeks / months

- Movements like PEGIDA (anti-muslim-immigrant-movement) already lost a lot of steam (maybe it's even almost dead)

- Maybe people see how AfD actually delivers in certain states in Germany

- Maybe people see that Germany doesn't go to shit, even with a million refugees

- Therefore, AfD looses a bit of steam, I don't know how long they can keep fucking that chicken
- I hope Merkel, CDU, SPD and others get their shit together and think about some strategies to get some voters back
- Media getting its shit together and think about some strategies how to handle AfD and russian disinformation strategy

It's still a long way until September, if nothing extraordinary happens (like some terrorist attacks), I can see AfD loosing some steam at least.

Far right people are going to shout that Merkel is the devil until the end of their days, so you can't help them anyway.

....Canada? :(

Man. Are we are the world's last hope against right-wing populism? Trudeau, save us ;_;
Canada is a very Centrist country . The Liberal Party is Center-Left not Left

Canada has pockets of Social Conservatives in the West and Ethnic Nationalists in Quebec.

to be fair to Harper, he was at least clearly anti-Putin

peakish

What are the chances of the migrant crisis exploding in the next decade?
Just wait until climate change forces massive relocations as parts of Africa become uninhabitable.

Did I mention that my local far right party is climate change skeptic, too? Dogs biting their own tails and fun times ahead.

Madness

Wilders is probably winning in the Netherlands. I seriously doubt Le Pen will get the presidency in France.

She almost won, the parties in France had to collude and withdraw candidates to try and stop her. With a Brexit win, Trump win, the alt right and ultrnationalists will be emboldened. You are going to see 'white politics, white power and white pride' be at the forefront of Europe soon. Trump election was never about Make America Great Again but Make America White Again.

Just wait until climate change forces massive relocations as parts of Africa become uninhabitable.

Did I mention that my local far right party is climate change skeptic, too? Dogs biting their own tails and fun times ahead.
That's the most aggravating thing : every anti-immigrant party seems to also run on climate change denial, completely ignoring these scenarios where the current refugee situation is just a trailer to what a full-on refugee crisis would look like. You'd think if they were so wary of migrants in general and refugees in particular, they'd take proactive steps to prevent major displacement events.

Then again, without migrants, these people wouldn't have a platform to run on.

Chittagong

Gold Member
The rise of the far right in EU has been obvious for quite a while. Quoting myself from a year and a half ago:

Chittagong said:
What we are seeing is the EU idiot leadership spewing the seeds for the rise of mainstream right wing acceptance. Forcing immigrant quotas down sovereign nations, taking control of empty private properties, creating pocketed communities are all fuel to a very dangerous right wing fire that drags European people right back to 1940s mindset. Remember back then the economy was struggling too, and people got the boogey man they were craving for.

The population won't magically somehow transform into a left wing, emphatetic saints sharing their bread with their muslim brothers. The resulting civil unrest and polarising society is, in my mind, more dangerous than the actual direct consequences of the mass immigration.

I am glad UK and USA seem to be able to stay the hell away from this mess.

Breakage

Very high. With climate change getting even worse, you will see a migrant crisis that will far, far outweigh the current one. Thanks Drumpf.

Yeah, I can see it happening and that will push many parts of Europe towards far right movements. I don't think any European country will be a good place to settle in. This is just the beginning imo.

Fularu

Banned
Le Pen will likely win the first round but in the second round the two best candidates face off. And then the PS will support the UMP and vice versa.
Les Républicains (I hate that name) won't give second round directives.

They've almost never dropped in favor of a PS candidate when it ended with 3 candidates in a second turn

Also it would be highly hypocritical when today's french right owes everything to the FN ideology

Woorloog

Banned
The rise of the far right in EU has been obvious for quite a while. Quoting myself from a year and a half ago:

So, what should happen? Should a country react with a global level "fuck you i got mine" and close borders, ignore human suffering? Because, that won't stop stuff happening. It won't ultimately stop refugees.

UK fucked itself clearly. Oh they "got their country back" but i reckon things will go pretty badly for them in the long-term due to this.
Globalization is a fact. Everything in this worlds affects everything, and putting ones head in the sand won't change a thing.

The true solution to refugees etc. is fixing the conditions that cause it. But, of course, right wing, especially far-right, will oppose that too, because they're not willing to spend money on anyone else than themselves. Ultimately everything is just an excuse for "fuck you i got mine attitude".

Chittagong

Gold Member
So, what should happen? Should a country react with a global level "fuck you i got mine" and close borders, ignore human suffering? Because, that won't stop stuff happening. It won't ultimately stop refugees.

UK fucked itself clearly. Oh they "got their country back" but i reckon things will go pretty badly for them in the long-term due to this.
Globalization is a fact. Everything in this worlds affects everything, and putting ones head in the sand won't change a thing.

The true solution to refugees etc. is fixing the conditions that cause it. But, of course, right wing, especially far-right, will oppose that too, because they're not willing to spend money on anyone else than themselves. Ultimately everything is just an excuse for "fuck you i got mine attitude".

I don't think there is a solution, to be honest. We are on a trajectory where anti-establishment sentiment is combined with migration, economic struggle and increasing inequality, and the only way I can see it going is the rejection of the current elite. LePen and AfP will win, we will all be surprised of how smart countries like France and Germany could put them in power. By becoming the establishment they will be watered down, and eventually people figure out they weren't the silver bullet they were looking for, either.

A positive side effect of all this will hopefully be rise of national pride and sense self preservation, emotions vilified in continental Europe for so long.

Woorloog

Banned
A positive side effect of all this will hopefully be rise of national pride and sense self preservation, emotions vilified in continental Europe for so long.

Nationalism isn't gonna solve anything. If anything, it simply emboldens the right-wing.

That is, unless i'm conflating national pride and nationalism?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Nationalism isn't gonna solve anything. If anything, it simply emboldens the right-wing.

That is, unless i'm conflating national pride and nationalism?

They have been often confused in Europe, and both viewed negatively. US citizens are nationalistic, nothing wrong in that. Brits have a lot of national pride, nothing wrong in that either. But in continental Europe and Scandinavia, both nationalism and national pride have both been vilified as far right behavior not fitting to an unified Europe.

They have been often confused in Europe, and both viewed negatively. US citizens are nationalistic, nothing wrong in that. Brits have a lot of national pride, nothing wrong in that either. But in continental Europe and Scandinavia, both nationalism and national pride have both been vilified as far right behavior not fitting to an unified Europe.

It is perfectly possible in theory to have a nationalism that doesnt discriminate but unfortunately due to history and todays experiences; I do not have faith in people not mixing nationalism with racism, entitlement and lack of compassion.

I have had history professors (studying extremist and fascism) saying that we Norwegians are happy nationalists, but it is pretty naive to say and ignore our great resentment towards foreigners and wanting to create the strictest immigration policies. We are also quite irrational with our skeptism and hatred for the EU. Nationalism plays part in that blindness. Also ignoring also all critism in regards to our controversial whaling industry. We cannot do anything "wrong" because we are among the worlds richest countries with many social liberties. It is disgusting when politicians in government brag about taking in 20 000 refugees (in comparison to 100 000 of Sweden) and point fingers at EU countries like Hungary for just accepting 8.

Nationalism creates too much arrogance.

However history repeats itself. There will be a left resurgence when people seem to realize the flaws of the populist parties. However the problem about this happening today is that we are in the midst of crisis of immigration and climate. So a lot of things cannot be undone by the time the extreme right lose power. It really is the worst time for the right to take power in the world. Unfortunately people have really short memories and swing based on popular opinion and deceit.

Les Républicains (I hate that name) won't give second round directives.

They've almost never dropped in favor of a PS candidate when it ended with 3 candidates in a second turn

Also it would be highly hypocritical when today's french right owes everything to the FN ideology

They will though. Even Sarkozy said so during an interview on BFM TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom