• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nuclear arms reportedly found in Iraq: Interior Minister calls report stupid

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cooter

Lacks the power of instantaneous movement
http://www.washtimes.com/upi-breaking/20040721-081009-2541r.htm

Iraqi security reportedly discovered three missiles carrying nuclear heads concealed in a concrete trench northwest of Baghdad, official sources said Wednesday.

They pointed out that the missiles were actually discovered in the trenches lying under six meters of concrete and designed in a way to unable sophisticated sensors from discovering nuclear radiation.

AND

http://news.myway.com/top/article/id/265453|top|07-21-2004::09:48|reuters.html

Iraq's Interior Ministry dismissed as "stupid" a report in a local newspaper Wednesday that said three nuclear missiles had been found near Saddam Hussein's hometown of Tikrit.
A senior U.S. military official told reporters he had no information on the report in the Iraqi newspaper al-Sabah. He said officials were checking the report.

Hmmm

Blackace

if you see me in a fight with a bear, don't help me fool, help the bear!
Oh this is just like the time they found those votes in FL

yah this is weird, not sure whats going on..

clearly someone is out of the loop and there has been some miscommunication..

either a reporter got word about something and mistook what was said, or some people dont know what is going on with everything..

and the "bush dumped it there" jokes are lame... if he was going to dump something, he would have done it ages ago.. he wouldnt do it now after he has taken such a credibility hit..

Cooter

You have to understand the mentality of the "Bush dumped them there" crowd Lucky.

These are the people who think Bush and Osama are collaborating and that he knew about 9/11 before hand.

In other words, conspiracy wackos.

LuckyBrand said:
yah this is weird, not sure whats going on..

clearly someone is out of the loop and there has been some miscommunication..

either a reporter got word about something and mistook what was said, or some people dont know what is going on with everything..

and the "bush dumped it there" jokes are lame... if he was going to dump something, he would have done it ages ago.. he wouldnt do it now after he has taken such a credibility hit..

Well it would be one hell of a double whammy with the Berger stuff going on. So it wouldn't be completely foolish. Totally unethical yes, but ... well ethics don't seem to matter much to Bush.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
MSW said:
You have to understand the mentality of the "Bush dumped them there" crowd Lucky.

These are the people who think Bush and Osama are collaborating and that he knew about 9/11 before hand.

In other words, conspiracy wackos.
Yeah, the security report from August 2001 sure was kooky!

Cooter

It was a daily briefing that said Al-Qaeda is planning an attack on US soil.

Hardly proof Human.

Blackace

human5892 said:
Yeah, the security report from August 2001 sure was kooky!

Well rigging the election didn't win him many friends...

Also the fact that he flew the Laden's out of the country on AIR FORCE ONE 9/12... smells a tad fishy as well... "we have to get these poor people out of here..."

human5892

Queen of Denmark
MSW said:
It was a daily briefing that said Al-Qaeda is planning an attack on US soil. In September of that year. Using planes as missiles.
Fixed.

Blackace: Those are good valid points too -- I just thought I'd go after the most obvious one for starters. ^_^

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
If member of the Bin Laden family weren't allowed to leave the country, they would have been publicly executed by a mob.

Cooter

Well rigging the election didn't win him many friends...

Also the fact that he flew the Laden's out of the country on AIR FORCE ONE 9/12... smells a tad fishy as well... "we have to get these poor people out of here..."

You people are comedy gold.

I believe there four newspapers that went done to Florida after the election and counted all the votes everyway imaginable. Guess what?

Bush won. He won with hanging chads, dimples and any other absurd way you would like them counted.

Get over it.

Oh, and I would love to see you proof about that Air Force one comment.

Blackace

Lathentar said:
If member of the Bin Laden family weren't allowed to leave the country, they would have been publicly executed by a mob.

Ok put them in prison... until your country is sure they knew nothing about the attacks or the where abouts of the family memebr..but to fly them out of the country with tax payers dollars... during a time when tax payers couldn't even fly to see or be with their loved ones... nuts if you ask me.....

Blackace

Teh Hamburglar said:
Doesn't Bin Laden's family own a major percentage of American business?

been business partners with Bush's family as well as Cheany's family for years

human5892

Queen of Denmark
MSW said:

I believe there four newspapers that went done to Florida after the election and counted all the votes everyway imaginable. Guess what?

Bush won. He won with hanging chads, dimples and any other absurd way you would like them counted.

Get over it.
Actually, many newspapers reported through independent counting that Gore won. I personally read one such article a few months after the whole debacle.

Blackace

human5892 said:
Actually, many newspapers reported through independent counting that Gore won. I personally read one such article a few months after the whole debacle.

Actually around the world people thought Gore won for about 2 hours it was reported on every major news program that he won... until votes came up "missing"

human5892

Queen of Denmark
"Nevertheless, FBI information since that time indicates patterns of suspicious activity in this country consistent with preparations for hijackings or other types of attacks, including recent survelliance of federal buildings in New York."

That was from the report you just linked me to. Did you read it?

Cooter

Here's a small newspaper named USA Today that did a count. This might interest you.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/media/media_watch/jan-june01/recount_4-3.html

More than three months after Democrat Al Gore conceded the hotly contested 2000 election, an independent hand recount of Florida's ballots released today says he would have lost anyway, even if officials would have allowed the hand count he requested.

MSW said:

Get over it.

Oh, and I would love to see you proof about that Air Force one comment.

Who are you, Bill O Reilly? I heard that same shit last night. And just like he was wrong, you are too, even though you're just a parrot. Had the total votes been recounted, Gore would have won the state. This is a fact verified by many sources. Unfortunately, the Democrats are pussies and didn't want to press the issue, unlike the Republicans and Bush. Thus, we have the president-select.

And Blackace, members of Bin-Laden's family were all flown out on the 13th, not the 12th, and only after strict interrogation. Even the SIC report detailed this, saying there was nothing more that could be done and the FBI had exhausted all resources.

Cooter

That doesn't say they are planning on crashing planes into buildings.

Nice try.

Blackace

Also I would like to take back what I said about flying the Ladens out of the country....first they flew them AROUND the US then allowed them to flee the country....

Lathentar

Looking for Pants
Blackace said:
Ok put them in prison... until your country is sure they knew nothing about the attacks or the where abouts of the family memebr..but to fly them out of the country with tax payers dollars... during a time when tax payers couldn't even fly to see or be with their loved ones... nuts if you ask me.....

Put them in Prison? Are you insane?

Flying a group of civilians out of the country costs maybe 2 thousand dollars. Don't say crap about costing tax payers money. During a time when tax payers couldn't even fly to be with their loved ones? These people's lives were in danger no matter where they were in the United States.

Also, the Bin Laden family, to my knowledge, is a well respected business in the Middle East. They do a lot of construction work, including parts of the AMERICAN SCHOOL and COMPLEX that I went to and lived in, in Dubai.

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
The Washington Times reports Nuclear Arms in Iraq... and instead of independent confirmation, it's called stupid by Iraq's Interior Minister...

Yeah, sounds about right.

Cooter

Had the total votes been recounted, Gore would have won the state. This is a fact verified by many sources.

Then I'm sure you wouldn't mine showing me these "many sources" that make it a "fact."

Triumph

Banned
link.bush.jpg

Four more years, suckers!

Blackace

Lathentar said:

Flying a group of civilians out of the country costs maybe 2 thousand dollars. Don't say crap about costing tax payers money. During a time when tax payers couldn't even fly to be with their loved ones? These people's lives were in danger no matter where they were in the United States.

Also, the Bin Laden family, to my knowledge, is a well respected business in the Middle East. They do a lot of construction work, including parts of the AMERICAN SCHOOL and COMPLEX that I went to and lived in, in Dubai.

INSANE? If any other person "masterminded" an attack on the United States...do you think there family would just be allowed to leave the country? 2 days after the attack? And I don't mean in prison like Shelton, Washington or something.. but you knw where they hold all their high profile guys like Sadaam and what not....

Blackace - Did you read my post concerning the FBI, SIC report, and Bin Laden family? I think it's a good thing they were flown out, god forbid some loonies attack them for something an estranged family member did.

Cooter

Do you know how large the Bin Laden family is?

If I'm not mistaken the senior Bin Laden had upwards of 50 children.

human5892

Queen of Denmark
MSW said:
That doesn't say they are planning on crashing planes into buildings.

Nice try.
Oh, for Christ's sake.

It doesn't explicitly, literally state it, maybe, but the quote I provided combined with the context of the other things that are there pretty much spells it out, not to mention the fact that I have no way of knowing if these two scrappy scanned pages are all of the report, or what other briefings he might have received. Even so, what's there is clearly enough.

Blackace

MSW said:
Do you know how large the Bin Laden family is?

If I'm not mistaken the senior Bin Laden had upwards of 50 children.

Of course I know how large the family is... All I am saying is by allowing those actions to happen... in the public eye... there is no wonder people mistrust Bush so much....

Hitokage

Setec Astronomer
Heh, reminds me of what my grandfather, who is a WW2 vet, had to say about people being shocked that people could think to use planes to crash into things, and I'll paraphrase:

"Bullshit, the Japanese did it."

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
Lathentar said:

how were their lives in danger? few even knew who they were, and if you hold someone for questioning, you also protect them. its not like the were wearing signs around their neck proclaiming who they are. Their "good work" around the world doesn't get them a free pass they should have been subject to the same scrutiny everything else at the time was under.

Its all a bit of a red herring though. I think they should have been held and questioned instead of ferried about freely, but I don't think that it would have marked any sort giant step in getting Bin Laden either.

HalfPastNoon said:
Blackace - Did you read my post concerning the FBI, SIC report, and Bin Laden family? I think it's a good thing they were flown out, god forbid some loonies attack them for something an estranged family member did.
Then why stop there, why didn't we take adequate steps to protect all muslims, hindu, and sikh who where totally unrelated to the attackers but yet were the subjects of violence from "loonies." of course that isn't exaclty feasible logistically, but it stands that these were given a considerable amount of leeway because of their business connections, there really is no other answer.

Blackace

"Heh, reminds me of what my grandfather, who is a WW2 vet, had to say about people being shocked that people could think to use planes to crash into things, and I'll paraphrase:

"Bullshit, the Japanese did it." "

Hahah so true!!

Cooter

"Nevertheless, FBI information since that time indicates patterns of suspicious activity in this country consistent with preparations for hijackings or other types of attacks, including recent survelliance of federal buildings in New York."

Do you see the "or" after hijackings and before other?

This indicatives that they were looking into hijacking planes and also looking into other attacks which would be separate from the hijackings. If they had intel about using planes as missiles then the briefing would have said just that.

DaveH

Hitokage said:
Heh, reminds me of what my grandfather, who is a WW2 vet, had to say about people being shocked that people could think to use planes to crash into things, and I'll paraphrase:

"Bullshit, the Japanese did it."

"... in that Tom Clancy novel."

Will aluminum foil work too or do we need to make our hats out of tin?

human5892

Queen of Denmark
MSW said:

This indicatives that they were looking into hijacking planes and also looking into other attacks which would be separate from the hijackings. If they had intel about using planes as missiles then the briefing would have said just that.
So because they were looking for other things in addition to hijacking "something" (SINCE IT DIDN'T SPECIFICALLY SAY PLANES AND WE CAN'T ASSUME LOL) for use against federal buildings in New York, that means Bush didn't know about it beforehand?

Give me a break. This is one of the weakest attempts at defending this administration I've ever seen.

wonka_wilder.jpg

"You get NOTHING! You LOSE! Good DAY sir!"

sc0la

Unconfirmed Member
MSW said:

I didn't say anything before because you were right that the report never explicitly says they will kamakazi planes. But now you are saying that "and = or" and that is patently ridiculous. The report is as clear as the intel they had, thus the confusion on what they were planning. It does explicitly say hijakings. once again; or ≠ and

Cooter

Actually, you have not even come close to proving that Bush knew before hand that 9/11 was coming. If all you have is the daily briefing in August then you clearly don't have jack squat.

Please play again and tell all your friends I said hello as you attend Fahrenheit 9/11 for your 6th time.

3rdman

MSW said:

August 6, 2001 Presidential Daily Brief (PDB): “Al-Qa'ida members -- including some who are US citizens -- have resided in or traveled to the US for years, and the group apparently maintains a support structure that could aid attacks. Two al-Qa'ida members found guilty in the conspiracy to bomb our Embassies in East Africa were US citizens, and a senior EIJ member lived in California in the mid-1990s. A clandestine source said in 1998 that a Bin Ladin cell in New York was recruiting Muslim-American youth for attacks. We have not been able to corroborate some of the more sensational threat reporting, such as that from a ... (redacted portion) ... service in 1998 saying that Bin Ladin wanted to hijack a US aircraft to gain the release of ‘Blind Shaykh’ 'Umar 'Abd al-Rahman and other US-held extremists. Nevertheless, FBI information since that time indicates patterns of suspicious activity in this country consistent with preparations for hijackings or other types of attacks, including recent surveillance of federal buildings in New York.” August 6, 2001, Bin Ladin Determined to Strike Inside US,

http://www.cnn.com/2004/images/04/10/whitehouse.pdf

Blackace

Hitokage said:
Ever hear of the word "Kamikaze"? :p

Lots of places were destoryed in Peral Habor...not only boats....

(You Grandfather rocks btw Hito)

human5892

Queen of Denmark
MSW said:
Actually, you have not even come close to proving that Bush knew before hand that 9/11 was coming. If all you have is the daily briefing in August then you clearly don't have jack squat.

Please play again and tell all your friends I said hello as you attend Fahrenheit 9/11 for your 6th time.
YOU tried to use the briefing to prove that he didn't know! Now I've owned you with it so you're backing away from it? You're priceless!

At least Ripclawe tries to cite sources to validate himself. You use one that backfires to hell on you, and then try to dismiss it. 0Wn3D!!!

Cooter

It says preparations for hijackings or other attacks.

They could be preparing to hijack a plane or preparing to poison our water supply. That does not say planning to hijack planes and crash them into buildings.

Either way, this briefing in no way proves Bush knew about the attacks as many here have made their thesis.

MSW said:

Which just further prooves that from 93-2001, Democrats and Republicans did shit to seriously address potential problems. Yeah, Bush should have saw the writing on the wall in August of 01....but hell, there was also plenty of opportunities for somebody, anybody, to smarten up well before then. Listening to the Dems and Reps argue is like watching Big Show vs. Bossman.....you both suck.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom