• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia announces the GTX 980 Ti | $650 £550 €605

Skel1ingt0n

I can't *believe* these lazy developers keep making file sizes so damn large. Btw, how does technology work?
I'm thinking (hoping?) I can sell my Titan (original) for ~$350.

That's $300 or so for the 980 Ti.

For ~$1,000 out of pocket, I could (significantly) more than double my GPU performance if I snag a second.

Think about it, you can TRIPLE SLI the 980Ti for the same price, basically, as regular SLI on the Titan X.

Yeah, the 12GB of VRAM is nice; but I think 6GB should be fine at 1440p for the next ~2 years.

... decisions, decisions...

Seik

Banned
So probably 750$+ in Canadian dollars I guess?

That's too much for me. I'll stick to my low-end R9 270X, will come back with Nvidia later. :(

Jimrpg

I can't see the next x70 basically beating out a Titan X (which 980 Ti basically is) and if it does only marginally.

The x80 series might be equivalent and that will be around $550. So essentially its $100 difference for waiting a year.

Smokey

That's $300 or so for the 980 Ti.

For ~$1,000 out of pocket, I could (significantly) more than double my GPU performance if I snag a second.

Think about it, you can TRIPLE SLI the 980Ti for the same price, basically, as regular SLI on the Titan X.

Yeah, the 12GB of VRAM is nice; but I think 6GB should be fine at 1440p for the next ~2 years.

... decisions, decisions...

SLI brings it's own set of problems. Triple - SLI even more. Trust me...unless you must see for yourself.

joesmokey

I sold my OG Titan ~2 weeks ago for $550 (and it sold in <12 hours). They still sell well due to their double precision performance over any other consumer based card.

I did it in early preparations though, so I'm not sure what the market is like now.

You don't need an Ethernet card (the motherboard has one), and you likely don't need a sound card (the consensus is usually that only headphone users really take advantage of them.)

The cooler has it's own thermal paste pre-applied, so you don't need any more of that.

The CPU is great (I have the same one), but the i5 equivalent will be basically the same, for gaming.

Arulan

SLI brings it's own set of problems. Triple - SLI even more. Trust me...unless you must see for yourself.

What's the state of micro-stuttering, and general frame-pacing with (dual) SLI today? How does Gsync effect it if at all?

6jxb.png

So a GTX 690 is more powerful than a GTX 970? How does that work?

Vercimber

I've read conflicting reports about the power requirements. I snagged one of the gigabyte versions it's off of Amazon, but I have a 600 W PSU. On NVIDIA's site, they quote a 600 as minimum. At the moment I'm running a GTX 780 with an I7-4770k. I really don't want to upgrade the PSU unless absolutely necessary. Any advice?

Don Lapre

I've read conflicting reports about the power requirements. I snagged one of the gigabyte versions it's off of Amazon, but I have a 600 W PSU. On NVIDIA's site, they quote a 600 as minimum. At the moment I'm running a GTX 780 with an I7-4770k. I really don't want to upgrade the PSU unless absolutely necessary. Any advice?

I have a titan x and a i7-4790k. At the wall only pulling ~450w, maybe spikes of 480. On my platinum 550w psu thats only like 400-440w load on the PSU. A good 600w 80 plus is more than enough.

Jimrpg

I have a titan x and a i7-4790k. At the wall only pulling ~450w, maybe spikes of 480. On my platinum 550w psu thats only like 400-440w load on the PSU. A good 600w 80 plus is more than enough.

I have a Seasonic G-series 550W - so you think it will be ok for 980 Ti?

spannicus

The S340 has room for a 280mm rad in the front. Get the kraken x61

You also have a wireless and wired ethernet adapter. You also have 4 140mm fans which this case only has room for 3 and your kraken will come with 2 of them.

You don't need an Ethernet card (the motherboard has one), and you likely don't need a sound card (the consensus is usually that only headphone users really take advantage of them.)

The cooler has it's own thermal paste pre-applied, so you don't need any more of that.

The CPU is great (I have the same one), but the i5 equivalent will be basically the same, for gaming.
Thank you! Will make some changes then. :)

Thank you! Will make some changes then. :)

Oh, and am I correct in presuming you're going for a "quiet" build (from your choice of the water cooler, quiet fans, etc?)

If so, you may want to replace the fans on the Corsair cooler - I've had a couple of their smaller water coolers, and the fans were (ironically) the thing that were making my build louder. If you go with the Kraken, its stock fans might be fine, as I don't have any experience with them.

NeonBlack

Thats fine. If you arn't going to sli i would go with a lower wattage psu, 550-650w is enough. If you want to SLI in the future bump up to an 850 or so
Thanks, one last question if you don't mind. Will this build be making a lot of noise in theory?

I can't seem to find these on amazon.com ? Can someone be so kind to link me to a few?

This is the only one that has showed up but it is currently out of stock.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00YEU8SXI/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Chris_C

Oh SNAP~! That works for me. I'll wait a couple of months till it becomes available and pick one up. Should be good enough to last the generation, right?

Might need to upgrade my CPU. Still on a Core i5 4750 (non-k).

Wait, is the TDP actually 250? That's pretty high.

gatti-man

All this price says to me is nvidia knows it needs a low price to entice people to buy now and not wait for pascal. It's super tempting but I honestly believe pascal will leave these cards in the dust.

GHG

All this price says to me is nvidia knows it needs a low price to entice people to buy now and not wait for pascal. It's super tempting but I honestly believe pascal will leave these cards in the dust.

I actually think they know something about AMD Fiji that we don't. The performance of that card must be something for them to be pricing the 980ti like they are and bringing it out sooner than anticipated.

Anyway, not that I care since there's no way I'm going back to AMD anytime soon unless they make drastic changes.

spannicus

Oh, and am I correct in presuming you're going for a "quiet" build (from your choice of the water cooler, quiet fans, etc?)

If so, you may want to replace the fans on the Corsair cooler - I've had a couple of their smaller water coolers, and the fans were (ironically) the thing that were making my build louder. If you go with the Kraken, its stock fans might be fine, as I don't have any experience with them.
Quiet would be nice. I'm more interested in keeping everything at a decent temperature. I really appreciate your help also. I was all over the place hehe.

Top Bottom