• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

BGs

Industry Professional
I see a very serious problem with the 30xx in general that I don't know if it has already been commented on. In my case, I see more of a problem with the 3090. And it's the ventilation flow. The NVlink has existed "recently" ... And give that case, how will the hot air generated by the lower card affect the upper card? Will we have to go yes or yes to WB systems?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
The feature that I care about the most is HDMI 2.1 support. I cannot wait to see how games will look and perform when connected to my LG C9.

6gRCnAr.gif

Papacheeks

Banned
Why don't you do some reading? These cards do in fact smoke the PS5 and XSX.

They do in raw compute rendering. But not in I/O throughout put. ANd games that will make use of all those tensor cores for ray tracing will have to be written in the game and part of Direct x 12 ultimate. No game yet is going to tax these cards, CYberpunk maybe?

For $499 your getting an amazing deal on either side PC or Console.

You can thank Sony for getting the ball rolling years ago when they went out to developers and asked around about bottlenecks in development. So now NVIDIA is incorporating that i/o decompression tech that Sony literally made dedicated hardware for. Nvidia is using cores to do this, and is doing it on a driver.software level.

Sony is doing it purely on a hardware level, with the custom decompression chip they have. Which is why no programming on the developer side is needed.

But everyone wins.

This next gen will actually have huge changes in both hardware and software design. When adobe and the likes catch up we are going to actually render times get much faster.

Tripolygon

Banned
I will jump to 3070 I think.

970 - 1070 - 3070 (?)

It will be 2x performance, but... the same amount of VRAM.
Nice, that's a massive jump in performance. For me a 3060 should see a similar huge jump. It'll probably perform better than 2080 which puts it around XSX. That's enough for me until the next gen Nvidia or AMD.

Rikkori

I'm actually interested to see how the 3080 performs in 8k in the same titles.

I don't think the difference will be as big as people expect.

It depends on whether or not the 10 GB vram limit will bottleneck (even with DLSS). Considering they're doing a new DLSS mode "ultra performance", probably unlikely, even in Control. In other (non-dlss), even older, titles, it will be a problem though.

Last edited:
  • Thoughtful
Reactions: GHG

psorcerer

Banned
I see a very serious problem with the 30xx in general that I don't know if it has already been commented on. In my case, I see more of a problem with the 3090. And it's the ventilation flow. The NVlink has existed "recently" ... And give that case, how will the hot air generated by the lower card affect the upper card? Will we have to go yes or yes to WB systems?

No SLI support in Ampere, it seems.

Anki

Banned
I am going from gtx 970 -> 3070, finally i will be able to play new games on 1440p with higher fps :).

Rikkori

Will be used in DL/server hw.
It looks like there's no NV link in any 3000 series in NV specs.

This is wrong. There's new gen of nvlink (100 GB/s) for 3090. But only for 3090.

Meanwhile, it looks like SLI support will be sticking with us, for at least one more generation. NVIDIA’s RTX 3090 card includes a single NVLInk connector for SLI and other multi-GPU purposes. So multi-GPU rendering remains alive, if just barely. NVIDIA’s presentation today didn’t go into any further details on the feature, but it’s noteworthy that the Ampere architecture introduces NVLink 3, which if NVIDIA is using it for the RTX 3090, means that the 3090 will likely have twice the NVLink bandwidth of the RTX 2080 Ti, for 100GB/second in each direction.

Last edited:

llien

I have just sold me 5700XT for 335€ and I am really amazed that I was still able to sell it at this price after yesterday news. That means I have only paid 20€ for 10 Months of usage and I am ready to go with the next generation of graphics.

Pro Recommendation (me being the pro here): Go out and grab your re-sell deals right now....because the leap will be crazy into Ampere / Big Navi and the Price Competition is just getting started....

Curious. Although I've just checked pricing on mindfactory and, heck, most 2070s-s are still 500€+, 2080s is 730€+
So until next gen GPUs become widely available (which is months later right?) it is still a patience game.

These cards do in fact smoke the PS5 and XSX.
Bench for waitmarks.
#HuangLiesALot

Last edited:

Rikkori

I have just sold me 5700XT for 335€ and I am really amazed that I was still able to sell it at this price after yesterday news. That means I have only paid 20€ for 10 Months of usage and I am ready to go with the next generation of graphics.

Pro Recommendation (me being the pro here): Go out and grab your re-sell deals right now....because the leap will be crazy into Ampere / Big Navi and the Price Competition is just getting started....

That's because it's ETH miners snapping them up. ;)

iJudged

Banned
oh boy.. If I was one of the people that just spend over $1200 for a 2080ti.. The used 2080ti prices will fall off a cliff if that is correct
look, whoever did that is an idiot. How do you go and spend that money without doing a bit of research?

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Is there seriously no information about when pre-orders will start?

Malte

Neo Member
I was just able to sell my RTX 2080 for €400, which I think is a pretty solid deal.

I will expect that 2080TIs will trade for that price in the near future.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Im usually good at making the case for AMD, but I can't in this case. AMD could pull a rabbit out of their hat, but honestly the only way I can see them making any noise is by releasing Big Navi at around 2080 Ti performance levels at like $399. Dropping the price of the 5700XT to $249 and then dropping the 5600XT to $199 and discontinue to 5500 all together.

I was just able to sell my RTX 2080 for €400, which I think is a pretty solid deal.

I will expect that 2080TIs will trade for that price in the near future.
I wish I could, but I dont have a spare video card laying around since I have Ryzen. Ill sell my 2080 Ti once I replace it with a 3080. I might get $400 USD and that'll be fine.

Malte

Neo Member
I wish I could, but I dont have a spare video card laying around since I have Ryzen. Ill sell my 2080 Ti once I replace it with a 3080. I might get $400 USD and that'll be fine.

That's why I ordered an RX550 for €50 so that I can keep using my PC until I have a new RTX card. Also, maybe it is a good idea to have a spare GPU lying around.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
No pre-orders. You can snap them up on the 17th of September (3080) at 2 PM GMT (at least for UK) straight from retailers (or Nvidia).

Ahh, got it. I guess I'll be spamming refresh on the 17th, then.

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Is this actually going to be a game? I was pretty blown away by it also
Yes i think so, it was playable on a Quadro RTX 8000 months ago. Now they updated it with even more advanced features and tech. Nvidia puts there tech demo's online shortly after there gpu release.

Jonsoncao

Banned
16GB 3070 Ti already spotted in testing sites (slower VRAM but should be more than enough). I suggest people wait if performance per price 4K gaming is the target.

Max_Po

Banned
Hey guys, I am in Canada, What is the best way to get one of the 3080's ?

Does any Canadian know if the 3080 will be available for Canadians on Sept 17 and is the founder's edition only available in limited quantities ?

kriolo

i know this is not the right thread but is it more difficult to assemble a gaming pc in 2020 vs the 90's? my last one was a Pentium 4... also i'm so excited to be back, any pointers?

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
i know this is not the right thread but is it more difficult to assemble a gaming pc in 2020 vs the 90's? my last one was a Pentium 4... also i'm so excited to be back, any pointers?
I didn't assemble one in the 90s but its piss easy now. The only nerve wracking part is the cpu but that's a simple process. Just got to be careful.

Rikkori

Why is it only digital foundry have a video showing the actual 3080 and are doing tests?

Because they've been shilling Nvidia for long enough that they earned right to be unofficial marketing branch for them. Hence all the sponsored Nvidia videos they've been doing. IT was 100% obvious to me when Turing hit that's what they were going for. It is what it is.

Back on-topic:

kiphalfton

a day later and 2080tis are on CL for under $500 lmao

I imagine you saw one post on eBay that was for $500 and ran over here to post this.

Me being skeptical of what you said, I literally just took the average of 40 sold postings and guess what I found. Not $500 like you claim, but an average of $851:messenger_open_mouth:

Even if I remove the $1000+ listings, the average is still around $764. There are literally only 2 listings that sold for less than $600.

nemiroff

Gold Member
I just checked the used market here in Norway and amusingly enough there's a whole sea of sellers banking on the casuals not knowing what's up, lol

EDIT: Holy shit the first prices for third party Asus ROG Strix 3090 cards here are in, and they are completely insane..... Translated to USD they are more than ~2000 USD.... FUCK! (Asus RTX 3800 ROG Strix is ~1000 USD)

EDIT2: In comparison Zotac Trinity is 1700.

Last edited:

iJudged

Banned
I imagine you saw one post on eBay that was for $500 and ran over here to post this.

Me being skeptical of what you said, I literally just took the average of 40 sold postings and guess what I found. Not $500 like you claim, but an average of $851:messenger_open_mouth:

Even if I remove the $1000+ listings, the average is still around $764. There are literally only 2 listings that sold for less than $600.
i am out here in NYC, the one that was selling for $490 is gone but there is one up now for $599, am i allowed to post any links here?

also, i only checked craigsl, not ebay or offer up

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Because they've been shilling Nvidia for long enough that they earned right to be unofficial marketing branch for them. Hence all the sponsored Nvidia videos they've been doing. IT was 100% obvious to me when Turing hit that's what they were going for. It is what it is.

Back on-topic:

better get that 3090 then.

10GB vram being low end damn man

Rikkori

better get that 3090 then.

10GB vram being low end damn man

Nah f00k that. I'll just sell it before the next cycle begins, I'm tired of waiting & 3090 is too expensive. Cyberpunk will be fine with 10 GB w/ DLSS & there's not gonna be a major shift within 2 years to upset that.

skneogaf

Back on-topic:

Back on topic? The topic mate is the new 3000 series cards, my question was part if the topic.

You need to chill out about your hatred for digital foundry, it seeps from your writing that you think bad thoughts about them

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Nah f00k that. I'll just sell it before the next cycle begins, I'm tired of waiting & 3090 is too expensive. Cyberpunk will be fine with 10 GB w/ DLSS & there's not gonna be a major shift within 2 years to upset that.
so basically buy shit that gets outdated in 2 years?

kinda like buying a mobile phone then...

Top Bottom