• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

Senua

Fuck me, I was right again. They repurposed INT32 pipeline for FP32 at reduced speed.
Inflated TF numbers feel so good. :messenger_tears_of_joy:
I bet you would if you could

bGismDt.jpg

Ascend

better get that 3090 then.

10GB vram being low end damn man
I honestly don't expect 10GB to really become the limit, especially with DirectStorage, VRAM usage should decrease rather than increase, because you can load and swap everything much much faster.
So I wouldn't refrain from buying one of these cards just because it is 10GB.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
looks like the new GPUs will come with the 12 pin adapter, so as long as your PSU has enough wattage to support the system, you won't need to swap it out.

The non FE cards also come with standard 8/6 pin connectors on the card.

Looks like the 12 pin thing is only if you want an Nvidia reference card.

Ascend

His model is flawed. 2080->3080 perf upgrade doesn't fit.
I have a different model.
Ampere has 25% IPC advantage over Turing.
TTF = Turing TF
Thus 3080 (14.88TTF) +25% = (2080 (10.4TTF) + 43%) + 25% = 2080 + 79% which is exactly what we see in DF benches.
And 3070 (10.2TTF) +25% = (2070 (7.88TTF) + 29%) + 25% = 2070 + 61%
Bingo.
Indeed... The TF seem to have been artificially inflated to make the cards sound more powerful than they really are. The TF should really be multiplied by 0.75 at best. That's assuming that half the time you can use 128 FP32 and the other half you need to use 64 FP32 + 64 INT32. The way they are providing the TF is assuming that only FP32 is ever done on the GPU.

Could it be that they are afraid of what AMD has? Because people can compare TF and say that nVidia has higher TF compared to AMD cards, and then buy nVidia anyway.

The XSX GPU shouldn't be too far off from the RTX 3070, and yet it is 'only' 12.1TF, compared to the RTX 3070's advertised 20.31 TF. And then there's the low pricing.

There are a bunch of red flags here... But for some reason, people are drooling over these cards, which really confuses me.

psorcerer

Banned
Indeed... The TF seem to have been artificially inflated to make the cards sound more powerful than they really are. The TF should really be multiplied by 0.75 at best. That's assuming that half the time you can use 128 FP32 and the other half you need to use 64 FP32 + 64 INT32. The way they are providing the TF is assuming that only FP32 is ever done on the GPU.

Could it be that they are afraid of what AMD has? Because people can compare TF and say that nVidia has higher TF compared to AMD cards, and then buy nVidia anyway.

The XSX GPU shouldn't be too far off from the RTX 3070, and yet it is 'only' 12.1TF, compared to the RTX 3070's advertised 20.31 TF. And then there's the low pricing.

There are a bunch of red flags here... But for some reason, people are drooling over these cards, which really confuses me.

I will do thread on that later.
Overall according to the NV own measurements 1 Ampere TF is 0.685 of 1 Turing TF. Which gives you their 3080 = 2x2080 almost exactly (30×.685 ~= 2×10.07)

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

Perfectly fine? It's god damn overkill for 1440p60hz, is what it is. If that's your target then you'll get many years of use out of it. Certainly all of next-gen, considering how much more powerful it is than the next-gen consoles.

Lol good to hear,I do typically try to see if I can keep everything around 120 cause it feels better than 60 and my monitor is 144hz. But I'd be totally fine if even a couple years in I have to settle with 60 while keeping everything else maxed,ray tracing included.

Rikkori

He did a similar video suggesting the XsX 2.1 implementation is 40Gb.

Which it is, as confirmed by Microsoft themselves at Hot Chips. I know there's a guy with a martyr complex making psychotic videos on the subject trying to deny it, but it's as clear as day 10 Gbps FRL = (10 Gbps x 4 channels) 40 Gbps port. Which totally makes sense - they're trying to squeeze every penny of savings they can, and the extra 8 Gbps is pure luxury as you can already do 4K 120hz 10bit HDR with 40 Gbps. Same reason all the TV guys are using 40 Gbps chipsets this year too - it's cheaper and they can get away with it.

longdi

Banned
Hodl!
Nvidia is going ex dividend tomorrow, and with sell the news today, good time to load up on Fri imo

Nvidia stonks are down today!
I guess to below 500 by Friday with the long weekend

Reloading at 500 for the free ampere! :messenger_bicep:

dorkimoe

I usually buy evga cards, but tempted to get a founders edition from nvidia. I dont overclock or do anything fancy, is it worth just getting the founders edition then?

I usually buy MSI but the Ventus looks... plain and the trio seems it's going to be expensive. At least the reference has a cool design, though that cooling system worries me.

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Nice to see an ot for a graphics card lol. I haven't been here forever is this a first? Certain posters aside it's cool to see so much enthusiasm in the PC gaming space. Come on September 17th.

Ivory Blood

What's the difference between all the different vendor 3080s? Are there any names to go for/avoid?
Different cooling solutions, overclocking, some special programs like EVGA trade in, etc.

I'm on my third MSI card right now, mainly because Trio is damn near silent and it's a pet peeve of mine to have quiet in the room.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
most of the royales i play are cpu bound, cranking 144 fps in apex at ultra 4k adaptive

it'll be nice to have the extra bandwidth to pass absurd lightmap and probe bake sizes

Last edited:

Ascend

I'm happy that I never supported anyone buying a Turing card. At least you'll be able to use DirectStorage with them. But... They were and still are atrocious in terms of value.

The 3000 series is a completely different beast. Although technically pricing didn't really drop (X070 class card is still $499), the performance did go up quite a bit, although it is less than they tried to make it seem. There is a reason Pascal was mentioned so much in the presentation. It was much more loved and appreciated than Turing, and rightfully so.

Hostile_18

Banned
Different cooling solutions, overclocking, some special programs like EVGA trade in, etc.

I'm on my third MSI card right now, mainly because Trio is damn near silent and it's a pet peeve of mine to have quiet in the room.

Ah so MSI might be the best one to go for then. I've noticed in the UK some cards are upwards of a £100 pound difference.

GHG

Gold Member
I usually buy evga cards, but tempted to get a founders edition from nvidia. I dont overclock or do anything fancy, is it worth just getting the founders edition then?

I tend to stick with EVGA because their warranty and customer support is second to none.

Ah so MSI might be the best one to go for then. I've noticed in the UK some cards are upwards of a £100 pound difference.

IMO for GPU vendors the thing you need to be most concerned with is their warranty and customer support policy/reputation. Double check what it's like in the UK for whichever one you decide to go with.

Also wait for reviews of the individual vendor cards before deciding.

Hostile_18

Banned
I tend to stick with EVGA because their warranty and customer support is second to none.

IMO for GPU vendors the thing you need to be most concerned with is their warranty and customer support policy/reputation. Double check what it's like in the UK for whichever one you decide to go with.

Also wait for reviews of the individual vendor cards before deciding.

Are they likely to come out before the 17th? Get a feeling trying to get one of these cards after then will be a nightmare.

Yeah warranty and noise for me. I'm seeing between 2 years and 5 years warranty so far.

skneogaf

I'm now unsure what I will do about upgrading to one of these cards as I don't want a card with 10GB of ram when my 2080ti has 11GB and I think 24GB is not needed for 4k.

I also believe the 3090 name allows nvidia to make a 3090 ti/super whereas titan ti/super never happened.

I may try to wait for a 3080ti/super as I bought the CAC-1085 to allow me to get 4k@120fps on my LG c9.

Lethal01

If a 80 series GPU is not enough to run a game that releases two months after with all the bells and whistles, they have a huge problem

Not really? A developer can easily put in features that no graphics card could run but it doesn't really mean that graphics cards are in a bad position.

Like you could make a fully path traced version of Final Fantasy 7. The fact that no card could run it doesn't mean that the cards are bad.

GHG

Gold Member
Are they likely to come out before the 17th? Get a feeling trying to get one of these cards after then will be a nightmare.

Yeah warranty and noise for me. I'm seeing between 2 years and 5 years warranty so far.

No idea on review embargoes yet but the independent reviews usually drop the day before or on the day of a new card launch.

If you want to be safe just buy from somewhere that has a solid order cancellation or refund/returns policy.

So I only have a 650 watt PSU. I know the recco for 3080 is 750.
Do I actually need a new PSU or will the 3080 run fine on a 650?

It’ll be paired with a 3600

Chiggs

Gold Member
I'm so happy that my case will fit the 3090 and my PSU is plenty beefy at 1000 watts. Feels good, man.

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
:) I guess mini itx is going to be a bit tricky. I can't believe I'm actually considering upgrading my PC. I've got an old i7 3770 with a GTX 1080 FE. I've got it stuffed into a HTPC case with a few fans for cooling. It's louder than my PS4 PRO. And thats loud.
What is a good chipset to settle for if I don't want all the wifi and external connections and other non gaming features? Is the 570X for Ryzen motherboards going to be upgraded anytime soon? It seems overboard as it is with features I'll never use.

Last edited:

GHG

Gold Member
:) I guess mini itx is going to be a bit tricky. I can't believe I'm actually considering upgrading my PC. I've got an old i7 3770 with a GTX 1080 FE. I've got it stuffed into a HTPC case with a few fans for cooling. It's louder than my PS4 PRO. And thats loud.
What is a good chipset to settle for if I don't want all the wifi and external connections and other non gaming features? Is the 570X for Ryzen motherboards going to be upgraded anytime soon? It seems overboard as it is with features I'll never use.

B550 is what you want for Ryzen CPU's. You also get a lot more ITX and mATX choice with B550 than you get for x570.

Magic Carpet

Gold Member
B550 is what you want for Ryzen CPU's. You also get a lot more ITX and mATX choice with B550 than you get for x570.

Thanks, I'm going to start my serious research here. I've been out of the PC scene way to long. My old i7 3770 will be transplanted into my even older media server with a Celery processor. Now that Netflix is a thing that monster media server hasn't been turned on in probly 2 or more years. I wonder if the Harddrives will even spin up.

saintjules

Gold Member
Have an rtx 2060 and really want to get the 3080. But seems overkill For the games I play on pc. Dota2 and warhammer 2 don’t need a 3080.

both are very cpu bound

I had thoughts on waiting for the 3080 to come out, but had gotten a good deal on a 2060 Super. I think I want to see how the 3080 performs in real world environments before I re-consider. Plus my Computer is a new build from April. The PSU is 650, but now I'm seeing 750 recommended..

saintjules

Gold Member

I have a 650 watt PSU from Corsair. I think I'll wait a bit to see how these new cards really perform.

My thoughts that if it's a good PSU that you just got recently, and that you're not Overclocking, maybe it will be fine?

Edit:

Last edited:

appaws

Banned
I usually buy MSI but the Ventus looks... plain and the trio seems it's going to be expensive. At least the reference has a cool design, though that cooling system worries me.

Any word on the Sea Hawk EK series for 3000? I still have my Sea Hawk 1080 and I think it might be time for an upgrade. Yeah, I'm an experienced water guy but it is just so much easier than installing the block myself. And they look damn good.

Last edited:

Same here, but it’s time for me to replace my 12 years old Antec Neo 650w for a new one.

However it will all depend on the efficency of the power supply, also, bear in mind the 3080 will take 320w, the rest will be available for the rest of the components, so, the more components or power hungry, a more powerfull PSU will be needed

Top Bottom