• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

Compsiox

Banned
unknown.png
Performance mode DLSS looks like shit in Deliver Us the Moon. Idk about the others.

Anki

Banned
I wanna know how will quake 2 rtx perform on 1440p with 3070. That will be the first game i try when i get new gpu.

00_Zer0

I need help with finding out if one of the RTX 3080 cards will fit in my rig. I am definitely not getting a 3070 and not going for a 3090 because of the sheer size of it.

My rig has an Asus Tuf x570 gaming plus board in it. My case is a Meshify C which holds cards up to 315MM. Right now my rig has a Sapphire Nitro plus 5700 XT card in it. It is a 2.3 slot card even though my PC only has two PCI slots. Above my graphics card is an NVMe with heat sink and below my card you can see an unused slot, then under that slot you see another NVMe SSD with a heat sink. Here is a picture for reference:

atxHeZn.jpg

I'm wondering if one of these RTX 3080 will interfere with anything since most are 3 slot cards or close to it? I know that cards can hang over so far but it looks like if I get too big of a card it might not fit because of the NVMe being used directly below the unused slot. Does anybody have a guide of how many slots some of the 3080 RTX take up? Since my card takes up 2.3 slots as sern in the picture above do you think I can fit a 3 slot card in here?

Edit-oops I meant to post this in the PC 2020 build thread.

Last edited:

Rikkori

I need help with finding out if one of the RTX 3080 cards will fit in my rig. I am definitely not getting a 3070 and not going for a 3090 because of the sheer size of it.

My rig has an Asus Tuf x570 gaming plus board in it. My case is a Meshify C which holds cards up to 315MM. Right now my rig has a Sapphire Nitro plus 5700 XT card in it. It is a 2.3 slot card even though my PC only has two PCI slots. Above my graphics card is an NVMe with heat sink and below my card you can see an unused slot, then under that slot you see another NVMe SSD with a heat sink. Here is a picture for reference:

atxHeZn.jpg

I'm wondering if one of these RTX 3080 will interfere with anything since most are 3 slot cards or close to it? I know that cards can hang over so far but it looks like if I get too big of a card it might not fit because of the NVMe being used directly below the unused slot. Does anybody have a guide of how many slots some of the 3080 RTX take up? Since my card takes up 2.3 slots as an in the picture do you think I can fit a 3 slot card in here?

You have space for a 4 slot, easy, just look at how much room there is! The problem for you is length, which luckily is enough for quite a few models. The FE for sure, and the EVGA ICX one also (both are around 285mm). Still waiting on spec confirmation for others but probably a few other models besides those 2.

Rbk_3

atxHeZn.jpg

I'm wondering if one of these RTX 3080 will interfere with anything since most are 3 slot cards or close to it? I know that cards can hang over so far but it looks like if I get too big of a card it might not fit because of the NVMe being used directly below the unused slot. Does anybody have a guide of how many slots some of the 3080 RTX take up? Since my card takes up 2.3 slots as sern in the picture above do you think I can fit a 3 slot card in here?

You can fit any card in there up to about 340mm if you open up the bottom shroud and move the middle intake fan down. I have a 328mm mm Trio X in my Meshify C. I don’t think any of these 3080s are that long.
K3ZTD4p.jpg

Papacheeks

Banned

atxHeZn.jpg

I think length wise your going to have move the front intake fan. Actually measure with a tape measure if you have one from the back of your card to the front of the fan and then compare it to the dimensions of the 3080.

I think it might be a little too long for your setup.

Last edited:

00_Zer0

I think length wise your going to have move the front intake fan. Actually measure with a tape measure if you have one from the back of your card to the front of the fan and then compare it to the dimensions of the 3080.

I think it might be a little too long for your setup.
My 5700 XT measures 304MM which is about 12 inches and fits fine with both the front and back fans still intact. I got help in the other thread with specs of the Nvidia FE card. Since the founders edition is only 285 MM and 2 slots it will actually be smaller than the graphics card already in my rig.

Papacheeks

Banned
My 5700 XT measures 304MM which is about 12 inches and fits fine with both the front and back fans still intact. I got help in the other thread with specs of the Nvidia FE card. Since the founders edition is only 285 MM and 2 slots it will actually be smaller than the graphics card already in my rig.

Good. I guess I was measuring with my eyes a little and it looked like it was longer than it was.

Also if you can slide your AIO on the top over to the left a little more you can add in another 120/140mm fan. I would for extra cooling since the founders pump warm air from the fins into your case. You want a fan at the top of the front intake blowing across so it creates a vacuum to the back exhaust. It will push the warm air exhausted up from the fan on the card. It will just help minimize other components getting blasted with warm air.

Something NVIDIA tried to make sound like it was no big deal. But in terms of thermals is.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
Cool some uninformed person from France bough my RTX Titan for more than I payed for it. I feel good.
4bmiypjgdpk31.jpg

I’m fuck I won’t be able to upgrade this gen
3SM1woJ.jpg
Why buy a prebuild shit? How man watts you have on the PSU? I am sure there is going to be some extension cable which is going to be 2 6pin to 12 pin or something like that, but you cannot have 450W PSU....

OverHeat

« generous god »
Cool some uninformed person from France bough my RTX Titan for more than I payed for it. I feel good.
4bmiypjgdpk31.jpg

Why buy a prebuild shit? How man watts you have on the PSU? I am sure there is going to be some extension cable which is going to be 2 6pin to 12 pin or something like that, but you cannot have 450W PSU....
I have a 1000w PSU its the space thats the problem my 2080ti is a tight fit already. Congrats on your sell!

Last edited:

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
I have a 1000w PSU its the space thats the problem my 2080ti is a tight fit already. Congrats on your sell!
And you are going for 3090? Because I am sure that 3080 will fit, it's not longer than 2080Ti, that "big boy" is 3090....

Papacheeks

Banned
I’m fuck I won’t be able to upgrade this gen
3SM1woJ.jpg

Since alien ware is owned by dell they use similar stuff. My friend has a optiplex he bought and we were without issue able to transfer everything over to a new case. only thing you will have to buy is a adapter for the front I/O ports to go to the motherboard. Look up your alien ware model and search for transferring to new case.

Pretty sure it can be done very easily. i think thats within your best interest. If your warranty is up then you have nothing to lose.

Also never buy pre-built. and if your going to let it be from a customized company like NZXT or something not alienware who use non-standard PSU's, motherboards similar to their other Dell counter parts.

Most dell towers though use standard stuff. So it depends on the model and year or your alienware.

Last edited:

Siri

Banned

DLSS in Control was blurry at launch, and just not appealing - then DLSS 2.0 was released, and patched in, and it blew me away. I literally cannot tell the difference between DLSS 2.0 off VS on - except that when it’s on my frames skyrocket.

The above graph is very telling because, going forward, DLSS is going to be huge. With my 2080 TI I can’t quite get 4K 60 FPS in Control using DLSS unless I drop a few of the ray tracing features.

This graph, if I’m to believe it, shows a 3080 running Control maxed out in 4k with DLSS at 96 frames per second - okay that’s probably a good 40 frames faster than my 2080 TI.

So, what? - a 3090 will run a maxed out Control in 4K DLSS at more than 120 FPS? These DLSS numbers are insane.

Zato

Banned
I am in for a 3080, actually think I like the FE this time around.

I certainly have the space and my current case (Lian Li Lancool 2 Mesh) isn't the biggest.

SXETAp2.jpg

3090 installed on an ITX motherboard...:

iiwpo9r7lxk51.jpg

Yeah the 3000 series partner cards are some fat motherfuckers. Quad slot coolers? They are out for blood. They want to murder PCI-E slots...for some reason.

hWdGYEN.png

Fat bastard Aorus Extreme here...with 6 display outputs. I have many monitors...fuckin a. I want one now.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Yeah the 3000 series partner cards are some fat motherfuckers. Quad slot coolers? They are out for blood. They want to murder PCI-E slots...for some reason.

hWdGYEN.png

Fat bastard Aorus Extreme here...with 6 display outputs. I have many monitors...fuckin a. I want one now.
Is that a 4 slot 3090? o_O o_O o_O

Hardware Canucks confirmed it's 4 slot. :messenger_open_mouth:

Last edited:

00_Zer0

Good. I guess I was measuring with my eyes a little and it looked like it was longer than it was.

Also if you can slide your AIO on the top over to the left a little more you can add in another 120/140mm fan. I would for extra cooling since the founders pump warm air from the fins into your case. You want a fan at the top of the front intake blowing across so it creates a vacuum to the back exhaust. It will push the warm air exhausted up from the fan on the card. It will just help minimize other components getting blasted with warm air.

Something NVIDIA tried to make sound like it was no big deal. But in terms of thermals is.
I think another 120 mm fan will fit in there. I ordered another one on Amazon just now. I just updated my ram to 32 gigs 3600 mhz also. Once this extra fan is installed it will be ready for the FE RTX 3080 then I will be good for a couple more years.

Last edited:

Desaccorde

Well I do actually wonder one thing: Which game will make 3090 or 3080 sweat after we have seen Cyberpunk and maybe Assassin's Creed this year apart from bad optimization. Like, I checked my Wishlist and it doesn't seem like there are much games in 1-1.5 years to really use and have benefit from 3090 or something.

Never looked at it from this way, but for someone who changes the card every generation 3090 doesn't make sense because there are no games that will use all that resource at 1440 or maybe 4K.

Papacheeks

Banned
Well I do actually wonder one thing: Which game will make 3090 or 3080 sweat after we have seen Cyberpunk and maybe Assassin's Creed this year apart from bad optimization. Like, I checked my Wishlist and it doesn't seem like there are much games in 1-1.5 years to really use and have benefit from 3090 or something.

Never looked at it from this way, but for someone who changes the card every generation 3090 doesn't make sense because there are no games that will use all that resource at 1440 or maybe 4K.

Cyberpunk is super dense and I believe they are going to have a big update next year for next gen version. So we may get a big update for PC version.

Flight simulator is a good benchmark as well. When Battlefield comes out next year I think thats going to really be the big test since it is next gen only.

00_Zer0

Why is Hardware Canucks saying that the founders edition of the 3080 is going on sale on September 14th, but then goes on to say that all partner cards are going on sale on the 17th?

He also says that there will be no preorders and all cards are expected to sell out fast and to expect websites selling the card to crash in the process.

Yikes, that doesn't sound good. Is this guy even reliable? Where did he get all this extra information from?

On Nvidia's own website they don't make a distinction between their card or partner cards. At this link it says nothing about the 3080 FE being available on the 14th. It just says available on the 17th. Link: Available on the 17th

What's everyone's experience getting these cards on launch day? Frustration? Do they launch in the early AM hours from 12:00 AM on, while someone could potentially be sleeping? I've got some serious FOMO(fear of missing out) going on here, lol. Also, does Nvidia only sell FE on their website or will it be available on storefronts like Amazon and Newegg as well?

I hope scalpers don't get a hold of these because there is no way I'm paying double or more to a scalper for an FE card. Also if the first batch of FE cards run out does Nvidia typically keep making more FE cards to satisfy demand or are FE cards a very limited thing?

I've never tried to order a card on launch day and I've never owned an FE card so I don't have any idea what to expect.

Last edited:

Rikkori

Why is Hardware Canucks saying that the founders edition of the 3080 is going on sale on September 14th, but then goes on to say that all partner cards are going on sale on the 17th?

He also says that there will be no preorders and all cards are expected to sell out fast and to expect websites selling the card to crash in the process.

Yikes, that doesn't sound good. Is this guy even reliable where did he get all this extra information from? Does he know what he's talking about?

HW-CA is a giant moron, I've mentally blocked him for years now. 0 credibility. His whole channel is even more of a outsourced marketing outlet than LMG ones.

Is.....IS THAT AN ALIENWARE AURORA??!!!
Tc2dX.gif
Complete with mustard and ketchup cables and a 120!

tenor.gif

Edit: The 120 AIO part is a kidding thing, because I tend to push for maximum overclock at 1.33 vcore or less and stress test temps that are sub 90c, so I go either 360 aio or custom loop, because I am too obsessed with gigglehurtz.

Last edited:

TaySan

Banned
I think im going to order a 3080 just in case if I can't get my hands on the 3090 and i do just return the 3080. Anyone else on the same boat?

PaNaMa

Banned
So 5 years ago, or 6 or whenever it was, I bought a 980 Ti which has 6GB vram. Paired with a 5930k @4.50Ghz. The 3070 looks attractive to me as an upgrade, however 8GB vram feels like maybe not enough in that dept. I'm surprised nvidia went so low across the 3080 and 3070, tho the performance seems pretty impressive nontheless.

I mostly game in 1440p. Do people think 8GB gonna hamstring performance, potentially? If not, I think I'm gonna have to preorder this puppy. (yes I realize my CPU is a hinderence at this point too, but I can't upgrade the entire system right now)

Top Bottom