• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

GHG

Gold Member
Like BluRayHiDef was saying, they do have the XC3 as well, but I'm more into the curves and offset fan look of the FTW3. Of course, the look of the actual card isn't the most important factor, but depending on the case you have it can matter. I have the ThermalTake Core V21 with mobo in horizontal position, and placed on the table where it's visible anytime I'm using it, so I don't mind a good-looking card.

Yeh I'm my case everything is visible since there's glass viewing panels on the side and front (antec p120 crystal) so how the card looks and fits in with the rest of my parts is important. I've gone for a predominantly black and white theme with my parts (outside of any argb) so I don't want any red (or any other colour) accents stinking out the place.

Unfortunately I think the xc3 also has red accents on the ends of the card.

longdi

Banned
Not really. TFLOPs are irrelevant.

I thought this was obvious by now.

2080 Ti: 14.3 TFlops
3070: 20.4 TFlops

By looking at NVIDIA's own perf numbers you get 2080 Ti performing the same as 3070 more or less with 30% fewer TFlops. Or 3070 performs the same as 2080 Ti more or less even though it has got ~43% more TFlops than 2080 Ti. By your logic, shouldn't 3070 be ~43% more powerful than 2080 Ti?

The gap will probably grows in new games

Nvidia profiles modern games use 36% INT to FP, even if the number grows. The 1:1 Cuda:INT in 2080ti is probably overkill.

Profiling many workloads shows an average of 36 integer operations for every 100 floating point operations.

Rikkori

Any of you have experience with water cooled GPUs? Is it worth the extra money?

In terms of performance? Nope. People watercool mostly out of a compulsion for a slick computer rather than it offering much value.

Take for example the 2080 Ti Kingpin, a card designed for extreme OC & with adequate cooling to do it even out of the box. How does it compare to a middle of the pack air cooler (XC Ultra)? Well it certainly doesn't go much higher (without LN2)!

Last edited:

longdi

Banned
Any of you have experience with water cooled GPUs? Is it worth the extra money?

Im a fan of water cooled GPU. You dont even need to setup custom water block.

Just get those with AIO cooler, the Evga Hybrids or MSI Seahawk or Gigabyte Waterforce.

They will be quieter and cooler than even the biggest metal cooler. And they cost about the same. They dont have breakage risk unlike heavy air coolers

You can get sustained >2ghz performance with AIO cooled GPU.

Rikkori

Im a fan of water cooled GPU. You dont even need to setup custom water block.

Just get those with AIO cooler, the Evga Hybrids or MSI Seahawk or Gigabyte Waterforce.

They will be quieter and cooler than even the biggest metal cooler. And they cost about the same. They dont have breakage risk unlike heavy air coolers

You can get sustained >2ghz performance with AIO cooled GPU.

This is not completely accurate. Can it compete with the likes of an FTW3? Sure, but not really better - hell, even FE which was the worst can sustain 2 Ghz fine. As for noise, you also have to account for pump noise being different (and to many - more annoying). As for breakage, you gotta be kidding - 9.9/10 times your AIO will fail way before the air coolers do. The AIO reliability especially in the GPU space is a joke and in fact we saw with the 2080 Ti batch they had massive issues plaguing the Hybrid/Seahawk models with many going defective or shipping straight out like that. This is why you also saw them go for near MSRP so early, they had big problems & they tried to discount sale get rid of them ASAP.

In terms of reliability NEVER EVER buy AIO over air!

longdi

Banned
This is not completely accurate. Can it compete with the likes of an FTW3? Sure, but not really better - hell, even FE which was the worst can sustain 2 Ghz fine. As for noise, you also have to account for pump noise being different (and to many - more annoying). As for breakage, you gotta be kidding - 9.9/10 times your AIO will fail way before the air coolers do. The AIO reliability especially in the GPU space is a joke and in fact we saw with the 2080 Ti batch they had massive issues plaguing the Hybrid/Seahawk models with many going defective or shipping straight out like that. This is why you also saw them go for near MSRP so early, they had big problems & they tried to discount sale get rid of them ASAP.

In terms of reliability NEVER EVER buy AIO over air!

My 1080Ti FE have been on an 120mm AIO for over 3 years. Noise under control, temps under control, runs 1.9-2ghz sustained, the lower bound being 4K FS2020.

Got mine cheaper, lighter and works just as well as the 1.5-2KG FTW3 Stritx or Ligthing :messenger_bicep:

Last edited:

skneogaf

I'm more than happy to be wrong but I do believe that the 2080ti is faster in the majority of games.

I'd swap my 2080ti for one as I need a hdmi 2.1 port for my LG C9.

I don't think by much its faster but in non dlss 2.0/2.1 games then I think the 2080ti is a bit faster.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I was expecting the 3070 to be a little slower than the 2080ti in traditional raster, and faster in RT. 8GB would almost certainly become an issue at 4K. EVGA lists the 3070 as a 1440p GPU, 3080 as a 4K, and 3090 as an 8K GPU. DLSS can help to an extent, but only in titles that support it.

P.S.- Does anybody know where I can find the tweet with the TSE scores for Ampere? I'm finding the 3090 tweet, and the mention of 3080 score, but there was a different tweet that had like 4 different cards, and I'm curious if they had 3070 on there.

*EDIT*
The tweet I was thinking of was from KittiCorgi or Kopite, but perhaps that originated on the Baidu Forums? Wccftech has a chart from Baidu rumors that seems to be referencing similar scores...

5OfRDly.png

TSE is a 4K/DX12 benchmark. According to this rumor, 3070 looks to surpass the 2080ti FE with ease. I found some additional rumors from them via anandtech forums, but some of the info was a bit hit-and-miss like the claim that the 8/10/24 variants were just placeholder/test models and the real models would have 2x VRAM. I don't doubt there are double memory variants, but the base models are no doubt coming first.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
There are no 3070 rasterization benchmarks yet?
I wonder if 600w psu will be enough for 3700x/3070 system

Kenpachii

Not really. TFLOPs are irrelevant.

I thought this was obvious by now.

2080 Ti: 14.3 TFlops
3070: 20.4 TFlops

By looking at NVIDIA's own perf numbers you get 2080 Ti performing the same as 3070 more or less with 30% fewer TFlops. Or 3070 performs the same as 2080 Ti more or less even though it has got ~43% more TFlops than 2080 Ti. By your logic, shouldn't 3070 be ~43% more powerful than 2080 Ti?

Different architectures.

CrustyBritches

Gold Member

Summary:

Talks a bit about waterblocks and how there's a lot more variance in board designs this time around. Said that the performance uplift we're seeing is based on PCIe 3.0, so at least for a couple years that shouldn't be problem, but they'll be testing on both 3.0 and 4.0. Says that, as per the Leather Jacket, the 3090 is likely the Titan card. Went into the rumors a bit concerning "Ti" models, notably a possible 3080Ti in the future that could slot between the $699 3080 and $1499 3090. Talked a bit about the 12-pin connector, adapter, and 3rd-party adapters for modular PSUs to help manage cables better. Basically said if you want to overclock 3080/3090, get ready to have a beast PSU. Lastly, you can put lipstick on a pig, then you kiss.

saintjules

Gold Member
Summary:

Talks a bit about waterblocks and how there's a lot more variance in board designs this time around. Said that the performance uplift we're seeing is based on PCIe 3.0, so at least for a couple years that shouldn't be problem, but they'll be testing on both 3.0 and 4.0. Says that, as per the Leather Jacket, the 3090 is likely the Titan card. Went into the rumors a bit concerning "Ti" models, notably a possible 3080Ti in the future that could slot between the $699 3080 and $1499 3090. Talked a bit about the 12-pin connector, adapter, and 3rd-party adapters for modular PSUs to help manage cables better. Basically said if you want to overclock 3080/3090, get ready to have a beast PSU. Lastly, you can put lipstick on a pig, then you kiss.

I have to finish watching. That power adapter should make it to the PSU I hope on my machine. I might have to move the card to the other PCIe slot.

YCoCg

Do we know if Nvidia is going to be making 10bit colour output work on older cards in future driver updates? So far they confirmed that the 3000 series cards will offer the option for 10bit but didn't go into much detail. For reference currently cards can only do 8bit or 12bit colour output.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
I really want a water cooled 3080. I wonder why MSI and Gigabyte don't have water cooled options on their initial releases. Doubt i will be able to snag a EVGA Hybrid they are too popular.

Max_Po

Banned
Posting it here to get some help ......

I posted in the PC parts/build thread

Hey guys, I am in Canada and would like to get RTX 3080 on launch..in preparation for CyberPunk 2077 of course. I have never purchased a GPU at launch...

Can anyone advise and answer some of my questions?

1. How do people get those founder's Edition cards in Canada? I am not interested in RGB nonsense cards.
2. are they (as in the RTX from Nvidia) available in limited numbers ?
3. Are they easy to buy or are nerds hitting F5 with both hands?

Thanks

CrustyBritches

Gold Member
I have to finish watching. That power adapter should make it to the PSU I hope on my machine. I might have to move the card to the other PCIe slot.
Most people getting the FEs should be cool with the included adapter, but anybody with a modular PSU should have some 3rd-party options available that Jayz2Cents was talking about in his video in case it looks unsightly or messes with cable management.

Keihart

I'm thinking that it's probably best to wait until the ti versions come out and RTX IO it's deployed to upgrade. I mean, with all the scalpers and whatnot i have no rush really.
i'm expecting this launch to be similar to when the RX480 and the GTX10xx launched, finding one at MSRP was super hard.

Nydus

Those also sprung up on German marketplaces. Interesting to see but i sold my 2080Ti for fair price anyway. (520€ and paid 850€ 1 ½ years ago) I would have sold sooner but I was not sure if I wanted to afford a 3080 if it was again just as fast as my 2080Ti for 799€ or more :/

This is probably difficult to answer but do you guys think I'll be able to use RTX 3070 in a Fractal Node 202, considering the GPU riser thingie is only PCI-E 3.0 compatible?

I remember reading some people had problems using PCI-E 4.0 GPUs because of this. Maybe it's down to the motherboard..? 🤔

skneogaf

Except it's wrong or at least some of the details are wrong.

I agree, I was considering messaging him but I'm not sure he'd listen.

He's definitely off with his numbers as I think a lot of people are as the 2080ti will still do very very high fps in any game for a while yet.

Last edited:

Rikkori

Posting it here to get some help ......

I posted in the PC parts/build thread

Hey guys, I am in Canada and would like to get RTX 3080 on launch..in preparation for CyberPunk 2077 of course. I have never purchased a GPU at launch...

Can anyone advise and answer some of my questions?

1. How do people get those founder's Edition cards in Canada? I am not interested in RGB nonsense cards.
2. are they (as in the RTX from Nvidia) available in limited numbers ?
3. Are they easy to buy or are nerds hitting F5 with both hands?

Thanks

I guess there's just not many canucks here.

1. Open up nvidia.com and order. Make sure to have an account already made.
2. For sure at launch, and probably overall. Generally they don't make them once AIBs models are all out & production is rolling.
3. Gonna be hard to get one, lots of nerds out there.

Ascend

Moore's Law is Dead anticipates initial stock will be on the low side, possibly due to the low yields of Samsung. Let's hope it's not that bad.
Multiple sources are saying this. The total appears to be in the lower tens of thousands globally.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Multiple sources are saying this. The total appears to be in the lower tens of thousands globally.

Damn, that's low - unbelievably so. Nvidia and Samsung's goal must have been to produce millions of cards. So, tens of thousands would be an absolute failure and indicative of a very, very poor yield rate (10% at most), which can't be true.

Anyhow, I just want to snag an EVGA 3090 FTW3 or - if I can't get the FTW3 - an EVGA 3090 XC3.

saintjules

Gold Member
Have a 2060 Super. Should I upgrade to the 3080 or hold off? I'm fairly new to PC gaming.

Everything seems to run perfectly fine on the rig I have now. My only concern potentially is the power usage, but it seems I should have ok with 650 watts (Corsair Cxm).

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Have a 2060 Super. Should I upgrade to the 3080 or hold off? I'm fairly new to PC gaming.

Everything seems to run perfectly fine on the rig I have now. My only concern potentially is the power usage, but it seems I should have ok with 650 watts (Corsair Cxm).
If everything is perfectly fine for you now and you're not planning to play very demanding games above 1080p (or even at all), there's no reason to upgrade to 3080. Plus, your CPU needs to be good enough to not bottleneck 3080 and you need to have 750W Gold rated (at the very least) PSU.

saintjules

Gold Member
If everything is perfectly fine for you now and you're not planning to play very demanding games above 1080p (or even at all), there's no reason to upgrade to 3080. Plus, your CPU needs to be good enough to not bottleneck 3080 and you need to have 750W Gold rated (at the very least) PSU.

I definitely plan to play at least 1440p with high settings. I'm gaming on my OLED C9. Playing something like DOOM Eternal looks amazing on it.

I have been hearing from various people that you could be fine with a smaller PSU as long as you're not connecting a ton of things to it? Though I would definitely take the 750 into consideration of the cost if I decide to jump.

Edit: I'll most likely get that 750 PSU. Wouldn't want to take any chances.

Last edited:

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
I definitely plan to play at least 1440p with high settings. I'm gaming on my OLED C9. Playing something like DOOM Eternal looks amazing on it.
Then go for 3070, but again, only if your CPU good enough to not be a problem for GPU which'll perform worse.

I have been hearing from various people that you could be fine with a smaller PSU as long as you're not connecting a ton of things to it? Though I would definitely take the 750 into consideration of the cost if I decide to jump.

Edit: I'll most likely get that 750 PSU. Wouldn't want to take any chances.
I've 750W Gold rated and fully modular PSU which is already 5,5 years old. I had zero problems with it during this period.

Last edited:

saintjules

Gold Member
Then go for 3070, but again, only if your CPU good enough to not be a problem for GPU which'll perform worse.

I've 750W Gold rated and fully modular PSU which is already 5,5 years old. I had zero problems with it during this period.

Thanks for the thoughts here. I have a Ryzen 5 3600 currently.

This is what I'll swap out for:

Last edited:

Md Ray

U got 3070 benches? and 3080 and 3090?

All i saw is 3080.
I got RTX 2080 vs 2080 Ti numbers for you.

Compared to 2080 - the 2080 Ti has nearly 40% higher TFLOPs but the perf increase on avg. is just around 22% over 2080 (non-Ti).

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
man i have been going through some of the subreddits, twitter and gaming forums and hype is real lmao

i dont think i have seen this much hype for a gpu for like ever before.

if Apple gets mega upgrade cycle every 3 years then this is a giga cycle for nvidia

I realize everyone is having fun here, but what happens if Nvidia's Hopper with its rumored multi-chip module design ends up smoking the 3090? Is it possible that 3090 owners could experience what 2080ti owners are now feeling?. Maybe. Not trying to troll, but in my view we're about to see some revolutionary changes in GPU design in Hopper. I hope it's true. I can only wonder what kind of performance uplift we'll see. I may upgrade when the 4000 series arrives if MCM design is real.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Isn't that part of the bracket leaning right against the mounting frame in the PC case, where you'll never see it?
It looks like there's a tiny amount of depth to it, which means it might be visible from some angles. Some people are really picky about these things.

Top Bottom