• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

GHG

Gold Member
So he got banned because mods couldn't handle logical thinking?
It's common knowledge that consoles win in regards of price/performance and what they can deliver for "small" bucks, but they can never outperform the beasts that 3k$+ PCs can throw into the ring.

I think it's because he often posts to deliberately rile people up. He's clearly an intelligent guy and knows what he's doing, he just needs to tone it down a bit.

DeaDPo0L84

So he got banned because mods couldn't handle logical thinking?
It's common knowledge that consoles win in regards of price/performance and what they can deliver for "small" bucks, but they can never outperform the beasts that 3k$+ PCs can throw into the ring.

VXVeteran gets treated like Trump. He says a lot of common sense stuff but then people keep tagging him, moving the goal post, antagonizing him, then he finally responds and he's a bit frazzled and they go "AH HA GOTCHA!".

But seriously everyone needs to calm the fuck down. I like playful banter but some people post as if they're gonna end up on suicide watch if a console/ PC ends up better than what they play on, its unreal.

CuNi

I think it's because he often posts to deliberately rile people up. He's clearly an intelligent guy and knows what he's doing, he just needs to tone it down a bit.

I don't see why he's getting banned for honest opinions with a knowledge background while blatend trolls and troll thread creators get a slap on their hands over and over again with no real repercussions.

DeaDPo0L84

I'm 100% all in on the MSI 3080 Gaming Trio X. Have all my tabs open ready to refresh all day and early tomorrow until I secure one.

CuNi

Not sure the validity of this, but I'm liking the UW numbers if true. They seem believable to me as far as possibility of being true.

I don't know why, but music + chart design made me smile and reminded me of how my charts looked in high school.
That's not meant to be a insult. It just somehow looks very innocent.

BluRayHiDef

Banned
Those benchmarks are very impressive! The fps you get on 1080p using 2080Ti is the same fps you get on 1440p using a 3080!

The GPU surely consumes power too. 320-322w standard. Many people with not so powerful PSU's will struggle

Got to praise the stock cooling also. They did a great job
I can't wait to see benchmarks for the RTX 3090.

Fufu~

Man, these RTX 3080 reviews. Someone needs to put our resident AMD superfans on suicide watch. This GPU is redonkulus. Can't wait to see how the 3090 does next week.

Good luck to the people who will try to buy one tomorrow. I'm going to wait for the 3090 and pray that most people will not be willing to buy a $1,500 video card and leave one for me.

Last edited:
I don't see why he's getting banned for honest opinions with a knowledge background while blatend trolls and troll thread creators get a slap on their hands over and over again with no real repercussions.
I don't think you'll get much disagreement in a PC centric thread. You'll see the Sony Pony's and Xbots really froth at the mouth the minute their favorite piece of plastic isn't considered the best. The pushback I got in the Last of Us 2 and Ghosts of Tsushima threads in regards to the games being great to look at but suck to play at such a shitty resolution, you'd think I just killed Jesus. Like, I OWN the fucking consoles and bought the games, I just want them to PLAY as well as they look.

I can't wait to see benchmarks for the RTX 3090.

I really hope you don't have your expectations too high man. It's not gonna be double the performance because of it's price. Just keep your expectations grounded in reality. It's gonna be a fucking beast of a card, but it's gonna be less of a performance improvement difference than going from the 2080ti to the 3080( I hope I'm wrong here, but I don't think I am). It will still be the King regardless and it'll feel good to have the best on the market knowing they can't/won't do better for at least a couple years.

Last edited:

BluRayHiDef

Banned
I don't think you'll get much disagreement in a PC centric thread. You'll see the Sony Pony's and Xbots really froth at the mouth the minute their favorite piece of plastic isn't considered the best. The pushback I got in the Last of Us 2 and Ghosts of Tsushima threads in regards to the games being great to look at but suck to play at such a shitty resolution, you'd think I just killed Jesus. Like, I OWN the fucking consoles and bought the games, I just want them to PLAY as well as they look.

I really hope you don't have your expectations too high man. It's not gonna be double the performance because of it's price. Just keep your expectations grounded in reality. It's gonna be a fucking beast of a card, but it's gonna be less of a performance improvement difference than going from the 2080ti to the 3080( I hope I'm wrong here, but I don't think I am). It will still be the King regardless and it'll feel good to have the best on the market knowing they can't/won't do better for at least a couple years.
I'm well aware that it'll be only 15% faster or so, but I'm eager to see the actual numbers.

FireFly

VXVeteran gets treated like Trump. He says a lot of common sense stuff but then people keep tagging him, moving the goal post, antagonizing him, then he finally responds and he's a bit frazzled and they go "AH HA GOTCHA!".

But seriously everyone needs to calm the fuck down. I like playful banter but some people post as if they're gonna end up on suicide watch if a console/ PC ends up better than what they play on, its unreal.
Most highly technical people I have seen on forums are humble, don't throw their weight around and pre-face everything with "this isn't my area of expertise... but". Just check out Beyond3D where real devs post.

I think VFXVeteran being like Trump is the perfect analogy since Trump is effectively a showman (for better and worse); not someone who is going to take a detailed line of argument and stick it to it, or admit that they don't have expertise in a particular area.

bohrdom

Banned
Engine devs are gonna "optimize" their engines for a particular card? lol. Fucking Ubisoft doesn't even care to optimise games for the platform as whole simply pushing out consoles builds to PCs (ala Assassin's Creed), and you think they care if you have to turn textures down because your card has "only" 10 GB? :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Damn, I wish I had your optimism.

I work in the field. The 11 GB spec is erring on the safe side if you have shit bandwidth between your GPU and your MoBo. The PS5 has 448 GB/s. Your 3080 FE has 760 GB/s. 10 GB VRAM will be fine. It's also GDDR6X.

saintjules

Gold Member
L5NFhRB.jpg

W

Whataborman

Unconfirmed Member
Originally was going to purchase a 3090, but have decided to go with a 3080 tomorrow if I can get a pre-order.

While the extra memory of the 3090 would be nice, by the time I'd really need it (a year or two) there will either be another, new card generation or a slightly upgraded version released so I really can't justify the price of the 3090

saintjules

Gold Member
Best Buy is going nuts right now because of PS5 pre-orders. Things won't go past checkout. Was going to continue checking throughout the night for the 3080. Hopefully no problems if something happens tonight for orders.

Rikkori

I work in the field. The 11 GB spec is erring on the safe side if you have shit bandwidth between your GPU and your MoBo. The PS5 has 448 GB/s. Your 3080 FE has 760 GB/s. 10 GB VRAM will be fine. It's also GDDR6X.
Cool, the world needs labourers too.

Now do you know where the stuff that goes into vram comes from before it gets there and where it goes through? Hint: it has 16 lanes and is many times slower than 760 GB/s. And that's still not the slowest point in the chain.

Last edited:
Guys please post links when you see something go in stock. Especially on Newegg.
Sure, after I get my order in.
Holla at ya baby boy if you get one in the cart!

Plan on waiting till midnight. Check around for 15 minutes or so and if nothing go to bed and wake up at 6 am. Tomorrow is just gonna be one of those days. My wife has to take my 2 month old daughter in for her first shots and they won't let me go because of Covid shit. Though, hopefully that leaves me with the ability to grab a card.

Last edited:

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Holla at ya baby boy if you get one in the cart!

Plan on waiting till midnight. Check around for 15 minutes or so and if nothing go to bed and wake up at 6 am. Tomorrow is just gonna be one of those days. My wife has to take my 2 month old daughter in for her first shots and they won't let me go because of Covid shit. Though, hopefully that leaves me with the ability to grab a card.

The key is to go after the lesser brands. Don't even consider EVGA.

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
That's really what I want too. Either EVGA or FE tbh. I'll settle if I have to though.

You have such a small window you gotta decide what to target from the beginning. Wasting seconds going after EVGA could mean you end up with nothing. I will say Nvidia is cool though. Back when I tried to get a 1080FE I got to checkout but when I clicked it gave me the out of stock. Later that day Nvidia sent me an email asking if I still wanted it and I was able to buy it with my already saved info through the link.

You have such a small window you gotta decide what to target from the beginning. Wasting seconds going after EVGA could mean you end up with nothing. I will say Nvidia is cool though. Back when I tried to get a 1080FE I got to checkout but when I clicked it gave me the out of stock. Later that day Nvidia sent me an email asking if I still wanted it and I was able to buy it with my already saved info through the link.
Which one are you going for?

Mister Wolf

Gold Member
Which one are you going for?

Targeting Zoltac. I expect EVGA, MSI, Gigabyte, and ASUS to be higher priority. To me a 3080 is a 3080. I dont even have a window in my case, what I care what the card looks like. As long as it has a warranty I'm good.

Last edited:

Siri

Banned
The techpowerup benchmarks are just plain silly. Who gets ahold of a 3080 and then disables RTX and DLSS in games that support it?

For fuck’s sake, I want to see how much better RTX is in comparison to my 2080TI.

Targeting Zoltac. I expect EVGA, MSI, GIgabyte, and ASUS to be higher priority. To me a 3080 is a 3080. I dont even have a window in my case, what I care what the card looks like. As long as it has a warranty I'm good.

You're right though. I'm honestly not that picky. I've just had great experiences with EVGA and their customer service in the past when I've had to RMA 2 different cards and do a step-up and it went super well.

Yeah I think I'm just going to try to wake up and hope for the best. I heard Micro Center was doing walk-up preorders but I'm not sure if I'm down for that these days.

00_Zer0

Not a good sign when on the Best Buy store app after midnight and already getting this:

ETGTapT.png

zdC49Zo.png

Though the website still seems fine.

Last edited:

bohrdom

Banned
Cool, the world needs labourers too.

Now do you know where the stuff that goes into vram comes from before it gets there and where it goes through? Hint: it has 16 lanes and is many times slower than 760 GB/s. And that's still not the slowest point in the chain.

Alright dude. No need to get cheeky. Yes I'm wrong about the bandwidth between the mobo/gpu but your worries about the amount of VRAM is armchair engineering. I researched it a bit more and let me tell you why your concerns are misplaced.

We've had cards for years with 10-12 gigabytes of VRAM and they couldn't do 4k gaming. Clearly that means the bottlenecks are not amount of VRAM but in other limiting factors: Memory bandwidth between VRAM <-> ROPs and ROP perf. Ampere has significant boosts in both these areas.

Yes your AMD Big Navi might have 16 GB of VRAM but that's because they couldn't get GDDR6X and so they hide their bandwidth shortfalls by playing with memory bank configurations. Does that mean you need 16 GB for 4k gaming. No.

Now let's try to think as a developer. Do you think they're throwing up 10+ GB of textures every 60 frames? IDK. My hunch is probably not because most people can't afford cards with that much memory and devs are usually not targeting the latest and greatest.

Last edited:
Top Bottom