• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

pawel86ck

Banned
Yeah right, wait another 2 years, maybe even longer if the 4000s sell out like the 3000s? o_O

And Control is very playable at 4K max with DLSS

Mostly 60fps, but still I can see dips below to around 45-55fps. I'm guessing game would run at locked 60fps, but with DLSS set to performance mode (1080p).

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Congratz man, but I have one serious question for you.
Why'd you drink regular ass cola with bunch of sugars when you can have zero which tastes nearly the same?
Haha... I am a little bit of a coca cola addict. Who else have a little coke display in their home with bottles from different countries? :p

GHG

Gold Member
Enjoy it!
The FE design starts growing on me. These cards look sexy as hell.

If it wasn't for the abomination that is the ridiculously short cable extension I think I'd get one imported.

If someone made some nice white 12 pin cable extensions then I'd get one when they are in stock again (if ever).

regawdless

Banned
Scan UK updated their 3080 FAQ, showing the upcoming deliveries. MSI stock is delayed to 14th-16th of October, was initially slated for September 28th.

Rikkori

Interesting about the FFXV reports. I only played it for a little bit at 5K w/ HD textures and didn't run into those swapping issues (AMD Vega). Who knows.. maybe it takes a while, or some other levels.

Pagusas

Elden Member
Hmmm good question. I might but I don’t think so because I am sure we will get refreshed super/ti cards next year or so

That wont change the architecture. Im buying a 3090 for 4k, so not worried about low res scaling too much. at the end of the day its still the fastest card on the market at any resolution

Blargh. Amazon is still saying my card will be delivered tomorrow, but it isn't showing as having shipped yet. Unless it's coming from just down the road, I feel like this is going to be one of those times where you get an email a day or two after the supposed delivery date telling you it's been delayed.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
When it comes to upgrades, do YOU need to upgrade. Are you not getting performance for your setup that you feel you NEED? If not, it never hurts to wait. If your card isn't doing it so well, then yeah.
Hmmm good question. I might but I don’t think so because I am sure we will get refreshed super/ti cards next year or so

I mean without ray tracing I have no sweat playing the games but with ray tracing, Metro, Control are dropping to 40's. Borderlands 3 has no ray tracing but even with the most demanding settings turned to med and everything else maxed there are drops to low 40-50's on my 2080@1440p. So I'm not sure WDLegion, ACValhalla, Cyberpunk will run the way I want them to run. I dont know either, stock aside, I'm still uncertain.

I mean without ray tracing I have no sweat playing the games but with ray tracing, Metro, Control are dropping to 40's. Borderlands 3 has no ray tracing but even with the most demanding settings turned to med and everything else maxed there are drops to low 40-50's on my 2080@1440p. So I'm not sure WDLegion, ACValhalla, Cyberpunk will run the way I want them to run. I dont know either, stock aside, I'm still uncertain.

The 3080 is around 70% faster in these old tech using games most outlets benchmark and up to literally double in raytraced games - Metro, Quake, Minecraft RTX.

The apearance of RTX games like Cyberpunk and Watch Dogs Legion will show how big the gap really is between 3080 and everything else.

Cause you see almost daily 2080Ti owners trying to convince themselves they dont need to upgrade, that their card is still good, that a 3080 is only "slightly" faster. :) Its a full third, up to over 40 % faster in these games using tech from 7 years ago and up to 50% faster in ray traced games pumped to the max. Its a gigantic leap over the 2080Ti and frankly its jawdropingly faster than a 2080

Mista

Banned
In your case I say go ahead. I play on 1440p too and I know how much playing on this resolution needs performance

Last edited:

ZywyPL

Banned
Very interesting. This video made me sure that I don’t need to upgrade my 2080Ti for now

Those cards are clearly made with 4K in mind. I recently saw a YT comment about 3090, saying "this card makes 1080p look like some ancient resolution", which was absolutely spot-on. PCs will most likely still be used with 1080p and 1440p displays for another decade or so, and in those resolutions it's still the CPU that plays the main role, less in 1440p, but still.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Some benchmarks from me compared to rtx 2070 I've had before.
Rtx 3080 is 100% faster. I have doubled the framerate at 4k in most of my games or more than doubled depending on the game.
Not boosting too high but I need to reinstall everything cause windows is a mess right now.
Anyway - the card is extremely heavy and rigid. It's all metal. Whisper quiet too which is crazy when You think about 320W card. Also it does not sag at all. Sits straight in the slot.
Edit: what I see so far is max 76c and not boosting higher than only 1890. Same results as hardware unboxed review. Anyone have one to compare? Fans almost always spin. Even 1000rpm when idle... But sometimes stop so not sure how that workd

Last edited:

DeaDPo0L84

My wife who has a 3080 on a 27" 1440p monitor gets roughly the same performance as I do using a 3090 on a 38" 1440p ultrawide monitor.

At first I was a bit confused why I wasn't getting a performance increase over her but then realized since I'm using a ultrawide it's stressing the GPU more and bringing us in line with eachother.

Was able to play Control with everything maxed with DLSS & ray tracing and stay no lower than 80-85fps, it'd get near or slightly over 100fps at times.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
My wife who has a 3080 on a 27" 1440p monitor gets roughly the same performance as I do using a 3090 on a 38" 1440p ultrawide monitor.

At first I was a bit confused why I wasn't getting a performance increase over her but then realized since I'm using a ultrawide it's stressing the GPU more and bringing us in line with eachother.

Was able to play Control with everything maxed with DLSS & ray tracing and stay no lower than 80-85fps, it'd get near or slightly over 100fps at times.
Yeah I just played some control. 77c max temp, ~1800mhz clocks. 4k, 1440p dlss, everything maxed and around 60fps. Are Your wife results the same on 3080 ?

DeaDPo0L84

Yeah I just played some control. 77c max temp, ~1800mhz clocks. 4k, 1440p dlss, everything maxed and around 60fps. Are Your wife results the same on 3080 ?

Yea, on her smaller monitor it stays within similar range as me on my 38" monitor. I haven't done a extensive comparison, this was just when we were playing side by side for a little bit last night.

cucuchu

The practical performance difference between the 3080 and 3090 at 1440p is pretty minmal so keep that in mind. I wouldn't advise the 3090 over the 3080 if you are just planning on gaming at 1440p, or even ultrawide, especially since the extra VRAM won't even matter for 1440p. I almost traded my 3080 for a 3090 but decided that by the time I buy a proper 4k monitor, 40XX series will be on the horizon and the difference I'd pay for the 3090 could just be used on a 4080. If I already had a good 4k monitor, I would of gone w/ the 3090 without question.

Last edited:

Jokerevo

Banned
Anyone else still stunned that 4k 60fps RTX is still out of reach?

I was expecting Control or something to be at this level but Nvidia really want to milk this whole RTX ride don't they?

I mean the leap from 3060 to 3070 is like 10 percent but the price....wtf?

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

I was expecting Control or something to be at this level but Nvidia really want to milk this whole RTX ride don't they?

Ray tracing is really expensive. Only now with 3080, I am able to run metro Exodus and Control fully maxed with rtx effects at ~locked 60fps. Of course with DLSS so internal 1440p. 4k would be easily possible if YOu could select ray tracing effects resolutions separately. For some reason these games don't allow it and at 4k there are too many rays.
Seeing how this is the fastest card on the market (aside from 3090), it's being used 100% NOW. So we can forget about this card being enough for future games. It's just now possible to run OLD games... at 4k

Continuing with 3080fe testing. 77c temp under stress with fans auto at 1800rpm. If I open the side window, temp drops to 75. I have 2x140mm silentwings 3 intake in phanteks p600s so it's clearly not enough... or rotating too slow (600rpm)

Last edited:

cucuchu

Ray tracing is really expensive. Only now with 3080, I am able to run metro Exodus and Control fully maxed with rtx effects at ~locked 60fps. Of course with DLSS so internal 1440p. 4k would be easily possible if YOu could select ray tracing effects resolutions separately. For some reason these games don't allow it and at 4k there are too many rays.
Seeing how this is the fastest card on the market (aside from 3090), it's being used 100% NOW. So we can forget about this card being enough for future games. It's just now possible to run OLD games... at 4k

Continuing with 3080fe testing. 77c temp under stress with fans auto at 1800rpm. If I open the side window, temp drops to 75. I have 2x140mm silentwings 3 intake in phanteks p600s so it's clearly not enough... or rotating too slow (600rpm)

I sit around 70-74 under full load with 3080 FE. Thats really not that bad. Just reading what others have benchmarked, it looks like low to mid-70's is pretty normal for full load.

EDIT: You could always adjust the fan curve. I find mine rarely goes above 65% even when its hitting around 72, so maybe a 75% fan speed at 70 will keep it closer to or sub 70.

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

Not really, Quake II RTX showed how taxing ray tracing can be and so to expect that at 4k 60fps in modern games is not reasonable at this time.

If you know what Raytracing actually is it's not too surprising with how it performs. If anything I'm surprised we are getting results this quickly.

What we've seen with raytracing is only the tip of the iceberg. It's only gonna get better looking pretty quickly.

Nydus

Man the coilwhine on the TUF is not so cool. It could be my 650W PSU but I kinda doubt it, since it's a Corsair RMX. I have a Seasonic Prime Gold 1300W on the way (could get one for 150€ used :messenger_astonished:) so maybe that helps. I'll try the FE tomorrow and see how that goes. But man is the TUF quiet, but FE is really beautiful and the build quality is outstanding. Also my 7700K is clearly at its limit with those cards. Just benchmarked siege and wwz and the GPU load was kinda shit :/ (albeit at 1440p)

Last edited:

Robot Carnival

Gold Member
I know it's brutal but I can't help myself.. my oct 1st order just came in. Going to install psu and try this bad boy out. I never had a high end gpu. My best was 2070 and it was barely driving 4k monitor
7Uf9ylW.jpg

That's brutal indeed that you're not using the dark theme. o_O

lol my thought exactly! :messenger_tears_of_joy:

all seriousness thou, congrats on getting one. I had basically just given up at this point. if I can get one I'll get one but otherwise I'm not going to keep refreshing different websites all day long any more. maybe things will be a little better after Oct.

Man the coilwhine on the TUF is not so cool. It could be my 650W PSU but I kinda doubt it, since it's a Corsair RMX. I have a Seasonic Prime Gold 1300W on the way (could get one for 150€ used :messenger_astonished:) so maybe that helps. I'll try the FE tomorrow and see how that goes. But man is the TUF quiet, but FE is really beautiful and the build quality is outstanding. Also my 7700K is clearly at its limit with those cards. Just benchmarked siege and wwz and the GPU load was kinda shit :/ (albeit at 1440p)

Oof, coil whine. Is it constant? That would drive me nuts since I don't use headphones.

cucuchu

Oof, coil whine. Is it constant? That would drive me nuts since I don't use headphones.

I had terrible coil whine on my 2080 Super (Ventus) and I believe that was because of the stock 700W PSU that came with my prebuilt. I noticed they had one power connection split into the 8 and 6 pin, which is a big no-no. Make sure you use two seperate PSU connections and don't run a split into the GPU. On my FE 3080 I have absolutely zero coil whine but I also replaced my PSU w/ a Corsair 850w Gold

DeaDPo0L84

The practical performance difference between the 3080 and 3090 at 1440p is pretty minmal so keep that in mind. I wouldn't advise the 3090 over the 3080 if you are just planning on gaming at 1440p, or even ultrawide, especially since the extra VRAM won't even matter for 1440p. I almost traded my 3080 for a 3090 but decided that by the time I buy a proper 4k monitor, 40XX series will be on the horizon and the difference I'd pay for the 3090 could just be used on a 4080. If I already had a good 4k monitor, I would of gone w/ the 3090 without question.

Her monitor is 3440 X 1440, mine is 3840 x 1600. I know I'd probably be fine using a 3080 even at 1600p but I guess I'm learning to accept a small performance increase at a slightly higher resolution than 1440p. She may get the same monitor and then I'll be able to see how the 3080 handles it.

Nydus

It's by no means the worst coil whine I ever had. Since my monitor is 144hz and the TV 120Hz it should be somewhat fine.

I use 2 pcie cables but they each have a splitter attached. But this shouldn't make a difference I think. The ripple on the RMX PSUs is also very good so the problem must be the card itself. Funny thing: if the card itself would be louder I would not be able to hear the cw at 144hz :messenger_tears_of_joy:

DeaDPo0L84

Random question but kinda ties into my new gpu. I am just now starting Metro Exodus, I have the Windows 10 2004 update from back in July. For some reason I can turn RTX one and it stays selected but DLSS option every time I select it and then it ask if I want to confirm the settings I hit yes and it disables DLSS. Really frustrating thing I did not expect to run into when trying to use DLSS with a 3090 gpu.

Edit: Also I am about to dropkick my pc off the desk. For some random ass reason the front case fans depending on how heavy the game is running will randomly lower and raise this odd buzzing sound. Gonna try and take it apart tomorrow and see what the hell is going on.

Last edited:

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Random question but kinda ties into my new gpu. I am just now starting Metro Exodus, I have the Windows 10 2004 update from back in July. For some reason I can turn RTX one and it stays selected but DLSS option every time I select it and then it ask if I want to confirm the settings I hit yes and it disables DLSS. Really frustrating thing I did not expect to run into when trying to use DLSS with a 3090 gpu.

Edit: Also I am about to dropkick my pc off the desk. For some random ass reason the front case fans depending on how heavy the game is running will randomly lower and raise this odd buzzing sound. Gonna try and take it apart tomorrow and see what the hell is going on.
Metro excodus is cluncky as fuck

Well I noticed coil whine coming from my 3080 TUF before upgrading the PSU for a Corsair RM850i, after the upgrade the coil whine seems to be gone, so it might have been caused by my old PSU (Bronze 650w)

Last edited:

Solomeena

Banned
MSI just admitted that this is their subsidiary and that Starlit was not suppose to sell these cards but WTF, selling or not they are price gouging, where is the excuse for that MSI?!?!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It's by no means the worst coil whine I ever had. Since my monitor is 144hz and the TV 120Hz it should be somewhat fine.

I use 2 pcie cables but they each have a splitter attached. But this shouldn't make a difference I think. The ripple on the RMX PSUs is also very good so the problem must be the card itself. Funny thing: if the card itself would be louder I would not be able to hear the cw at 144hz :messenger_tears_of_joy:
You have any nicer cables for rmx psu than stock?

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
What's up with so many people on Twitter razzling techtubers for having multiple 3080s or 3090s? How da fuck are they supposed to make content and review multiple GPUs without having access to multiple GPUs? Free content, no less.

The entitlement some people have is just mind boggling.

What's up with so many people on Twitter razzling techtubers for having multiple 3080s or 3090s? How da fuck are they supposed to make content and review multiple GPUs without having access to multiple GPUs? Free content, no less.

The entitlement some people have is just mind boggling.

Entitlement ? They get like 10 or more of these 700 and 1500 dollars cards for free then make videos like the one from gamers nexus to tell people to just chill, its just a video card. You're gonna get annoyed when entire stores get shipments of maybe 10 or 20 cards and then you see some random youtuber that got just as many and didnt even pay for them. Its understable, the feeling.

Rentahamster

Rodent Whores
Entitlement ? They get like 10 or more of these 700 and 1500 dollars cards for free then make videos like the one from gamers nexus to tell people to just chill, its just a video card. You're gonna get annoyed when entire stores get shipments of maybe 10 or 20 cards and then you see some random youtuber that got just as many and didnt even pay for them. Its understable, the feeling.
Yes, entitled. Techtubers get the cards because they're using them for work. Normies get the cards to play on. That's a big difference.

The amount of hours these techtubers put in to make content, if calculated at a market price wage, is worth a lot more than the $800 or $1500 MSRP price. They "pay" a lot more in work than anyone else who just buys them with cash.

Yes, entitled. Techtubers get the cards because they're using them for work. Normies get the cards to play on. That's a big difference.

The amount of hours these techtubers put in to make content, if calculated at a market price wage, is worth a lot more than the $800 or $1500 MSRP price. They "pay" a lot more in work than anyone else who just buys them with cash.

I think your overvaluing them. They make the content because they make money out of it. You make it sound like they do probono work for regular people to enjoy. They get expensive cards then run games on them to show how well they do in videos. Should we feel sorry for them ? That back breaking work of playing games to see how well the 1500$ free videocard runs ? Get real.

Top Bottom