• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nvidia RTX 30XX |OT|

CuNi

I'm not talking about all PC gamers or all PC game requirements but am talking strictly about PC gamers who game at 4K / PC gaming at 4K. For 1080p and 1440p, xx60 and xx70 and xx80 cards will be adequate, but for 4K gaming they will not be adequate.

For 4k, there is DLSS on NVIDIA, which does a tremendous job at upscaling and it will only get better in the future.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
It already is obsolete.
By the time games come out that will actually hit performance if you don't have more than 10GB VRAM, you'll already have the next GPU gen out which will have more VRAM from the beginning.
If you push games to the limit on max and shelve out for a XX80 or XX90 card, you're one of the people that get a upgrade after each or every 2nd GPU gen anway, so thinking about what games might bottleneck you in 3 years is really obsolete.
Right. By the time games that require more vram than 3080 have to run properly... they would run 15 fps anyway. And it will be years. Like.. at least 3 but probably more since ps5 and xbox one x dont have that much more vram since it's shared.
Look at 1080. It's still good

Last edited:

Kenpachii

No, it really can't. The 3090 is overpriced, objectively speaking, from a price/performance ratio when compared to 3080 or 3070. It's just needless dickwagging just like how the TITAN was.

As I said, a fool and his money.

Give it literally 3 months and there will be a 3080 with more VRAM, which will render the 3090 all but redundant aside from benchmark boys.

They pulled this garbage off already a few times now, i have zero faith in them releasing a higher gb version directly out of the gate. They probably wait for the 4000 series for that or maybe next year. Who knows with them.

Hostile_18

Banned
How much would you guys pay for a 2080ti these days? Is the performance massively below the 3080 for 4k 60fps gaming? (Hdmi 2.0). Given the stock shortages thought maybe I could get a good deal on that card, is it worth it in 2020?

pr0cs

How much would you guys pay for a 2080ti these days? Is the performance massively below the 3080 for 4k 60fps gaming? (Hdmi 2.0). Given the stock shortages thought maybe I could get a good deal on that card, is it worth it in 2020?
I was really close at pulling a trigger at 675USD for a used card with 2 year warranty, just felt high considering how close it was to 'official' 3080 prices so I chickened out. He sold it 2-3 days later so people are buying them at around that price.
I kinda feel bad for those people who paid retail on 2080TIs, it has to hurt bad to basically take a bath on their resale value. I suppose the price of the 3080 murdered the used market for all cards though.

Last edited:

Rbk_3

I was really close at pulling a trigger at 675USD for a used card with 2 year warranty, just felt high considering how close it was to 'official' 3080 prices so I chickened out. He sold it 2-3 days later so people are buying them at around that price.
I kinda feel bad for those people who paid retail on 2080TIs, it has to hurt bad to basically take a bath on their resale value. I suppose the price of the 3080 murdered the used market for all cards though.
Hard to feel too sorry for them. New Generation of GPUs come out every other fall. It was known that Ampre was coming.

Marlenus

No it’s not and it shows

by this logic tesla is driving videogame console.

If NV had called it a Titan then they could sell it for more money. That they chose not to tells us everything we need to know.

Also as Ascend says they disabled features that are usually found on Titan cards which they would not have done if it was designed to be the next titan.

Last edited:

KungFucius

King Snowflake
The RTX 3090 is a rebranded 3080Ti.

Exactly. It is the replacement for the 2080Ti, not the Titan. It is overpriced based on its performance and makes the supposed 20GB cards awkward to price. They would need to cover the cost of 10 more GB or expensive ram and get no real performance gains in games. Maybe they work as a product with binned chips only and suped up coolers for 1100.

regawdless

Banned
I gave up on the hunt for these cards. I have orders with unknown delivery dates and will simply wait until one gets actually send out.
I don't have it in me anymore to keep looking for drops, to be there during the exact 5 seconds until everything is gone.

sertopico

I gave up on the hunt for these cards. I have orders with unknown delivery dates and will simply wait until one gets actually send out.
I don't have it in me anymore to keep looking for drops, to be there during the exact 5 seconds until everything is gone.
Middle/End october we will get a restock. Just be patient people!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud

Holy cow, 15GB VRAM at 4K with texture pack😯. I wonder if it's real usage or just allocation 🤔

wow that framerate. I think I was getting like 50fps on 2070 in the demo.
Btw - is this game worth playing now?

Last edited:

Armorian

Banned
Exactly. It is the replacement for the 2080Ti, not the Titan. It is overpriced based on its performance and makes the supposed 20GB cards awkward to price. They would need to cover the cost of 10 more GB or expensive ram and get no real performance gains in games. Maybe they work as a product with binned chips only and suped up coolers for 1100.

Yep, there will be Ampere Titan for ~3k probably (with 48GB of VRAM). 3090 doesn't have Titan drivers even...

wow that framerate. I think I was getting like 50fps on 2070 in the demo.
Btw - is this game worth playing now?

I think it's fairly good with all the DLCs that added to the story (Ardyn especially). Better than XIII series for sure.

Last edited:

Hostile_18

Banned
What is the best choice between a 2080ti or 3070 for 4k 60 gaming? I see the 3070 had the edge for FPS but the 2080ti has 11gb of VRAM everyone is concerned about.

Nydus

What is the best choice between a 2080ti or 3070 for 4k 60 gaming? I see the 3070 had the edge for FPS but the 2080ti has 11gb of VRAM everyone is concerned about.
Wait for benchmarks. I have the feeling that the 3070 won't be as fast as advertised. ~5% behind the 2080 Ti? But you can't go wrong with either one, despite the vram drama.

McHuj

theres a rumored 16 GB 3070. No idea on release date.

I personally wouldn’t be buying the 20 series anymore. I think we’ll be seeing better gains over time with driver updates in the 30 series.

Armorian

Banned
Wait for benchmarks. I have the feeling that the 3070 won't be as fast as advertised. ~5% behind the 2080 Ti? But you can't go wrong with either one, despite the vram drama.

Yeah I think in 4K 2080ti will be faster in many games, and 8GB of RAM is a joke in 2020....

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Yeah I think in 4K 2080ti will be faster in many games, and 8GB of RAM is a joke in 2020....
Except it won't be. The vram fear has been overblown. Benchmarks are already showing this to be true. Not to mention the performance of the 3080 which has only 10gb. 3070 will be better.

Last edited:

notseqi

Holy cow, 15GB VRAM at 4K with texture pack😯. I wonder if it's real usage or just allocation 🤔

Hory shet, dat CPU utilization.

Some funky things must be happening on her end.

Afterburner reports around ~10GB RAM usage and ~6GB VRAM usage in that area at 4K and that was with 8x MSAA. 👀
Whole game fits in RAM, which is nice. I'd like to know more about how it works, if you need CPU-unpacking for textures. Would still be faster if done on GDDR (I imagine) but a deeper explanation would be cool.

notseqi

'..., the RTX just _bruteforcing_ it's way through this game.'
People sound immensely stupid using that word in this way, oh god.

Patrick S.

Banned
I'm looking at my Amazon wishlist, seeing if I should throw out some of the 3080 models. The Gigabyte Eagle is apparently cheaply made and doesn't overclock, right? I guess I'm unwatching that one. What about the PNY? Is PNY a good brand? Any experience with their tech support in case something goes wrong? I kinda want an Asus, MSI or EVGA, but I guess those are the ones everyone will want, and they'll be much harder to get.

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Some funky things must be happening on her end.

Afterburner reports around ~10GB RAM usage and ~6GB VRAM usage in that area at 4K and that was with 8x MSAA. 👀

It's easy to miss because it's not properly explained; Third party software is used to load the entire game into VRAM instead of using the system SSD/HDD drive. Don't really know why bother with that, but yeah..

ZywyPL

Banned
Hory shet, dat CPU utilization.

That's what happens when you buy 8-32 threaded CPUs for games made with not more than 4 in mind, most of them are just sitting at idle. I'm curious to see how all those recent i9/R9 CPUs will age withing the next 3-5 years, once the support for PS4/XB1 ends and games will be made solely with PS5/XSX in mind, and finally start requiring at very least 8 threads.

notseqi

That's what happens when you buy 8-32 threaded CPUs for games made with not more than 4 in mind, most of them are just sitting at idle. I'm curious to see how all those recent i9/R9 CPUs will age withing the next 3-5 years, once the support for PS4/XB1 ends and games will be made solely with PS5/XSX in mind, and finally start requiring at very least 8 threads.
In that example it's still low when stuff happens on screen. Seldom >60% on a core, never on more than one core. Skipped through the vid a bit though, not sure if this holds up for every second.

Armorian

Banned
Except it won't be. The vram fear has been overblown. Benchmarks are already showing this to be true. Not to mention the performance of the 3080 which has only 10gb. 3070 will be better.

Even in games chosen by Nvidia to showcase best case scenario 2080ti wins sometimes...

I can max out 8GB of VRAM in my 2060S by choosing CiRC textures in Crysis remaster in... 2560x1080. People will have to lower texture quality on 3070 in the future when they won't have to on 2080ti.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
780 ti was twice as fast as 580... ok ? lol
He is comparing super expensive ti cards to non ti or a generation to 2 generations ago and saying that now we didn't get improvement as fast compared to 2080 ti? like what? I don't understand.
3080 vs 2080 is what should be compared. ant that's almost twice as fast depending on the game (at 4k).
It should be also noted that 700usd card is faster than 2 years ago 1200usd card. Not twice as fast of course but cmon.

Also. He is complaining that 3090 is 1500usd. But 3080 is the real card here and it's 700usd... and their cards been 700usd for few generations... and even 500usd in 2010 with inflation is 600usd now. So the cards are staying at the same level.
But nvidia started introducing those super expensive Titans, TI or whatever and people cling to that to and show it's a bad deal. of course it is. It's an apple move.
If it's so easy to improve form generation to generation, why is AMD not doing it? Why are they usually catching up generation later?

One thing we can agree on is that a fucking gpu should not be even 700usd. That's a price of more than a 1 new console

Last edited:

nemiroff

Gold Member
Even in games chosen by Nvidia to showcase best case scenario 2080ti wins sometimes...

I can max out 8GB of VRAM in my 2060S by choosing CiRC textures in Crysis remaster in... 2560x1080. People will have to lower texture quality on 3070 in the future when they won't have to on 2080ti.

Recipe for VRAM discussions:

Pluck some randomly connected thoughts
Squeeze them into a ball of approximate notions
Write "truth" on it
Send it onto the internets

Last edited:

Ulysses 31

MSI Ventus 3X 3090 is pretty quiet. Played Metro Exodus for over an hour with GPU% in the 90s most of the time and I couldn't hear the card where as the 2080 TI was very audible.

Also when I boot up, the GPU fans spin up to 100% for a few sec, with this 3090 it's still pretty quiet.

Last edited:

regawdless

Banned
MSI Ventus 3X 3090 is pretty quiet. Played Metro Exodus for over an hour with GPU% in the 90s most of the time and I couldn't hear the card where as the 2080 TI was very audible.

Also when I boot up, the GPU fans spin up to 100% for a few sec, with this 3090 it's still pretty quiet.

Thanks for the impression. I've one Ventus 3080 OC ordered, hope that it'll arrive soon.

regawdless

Banned

Nydus

Wohoo my FE just got delivered at home. Fortunately the wife was at home. :D

Don't know if I can believe them again. Already ordered a different card there with a displayed date of availability. Got then delayed and postponed indefinitely.

I just got notification that my TUF is ready for Store-Pickup :messenger_fearful: It went from "unknown" to "ready for pick up". Good times! :lollipop_sunglasses:

Now i have to decide which of the two i keep. a nice problem to have :lollipop_grinning:

Top Bottom