• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NY Gov. Cuomo proposes free tuition at New York state colleges for eligible students

Status
Not open for further replies.

Condom

Why are adult children of well off parents expected to get support from their parents. Mine had means but from a philosophical point of view cut me off, hard, on my 18th birthday.
Look I have no problem with subsidizing offspring from wealthy people if they acknowledge the systematic theft and solve the income/capital gap. It seems however, that people want their cake (be rich because of stealing from other's work) while still being subsidized by the working class when studying.

Go explain that to the poor kids forced to skip school in Chicago's poor neighborhoods because their mom has to work 60 hours in a slave wage job and can't afford a baby sitter or the Chinese children making those products 'entrepreneurs' sell with a 700% margin.

It's about equity, not equality.

Skelter

Banned
$1000/mo for eating out and entertainment? "Only $20k" for vacations, major purchases, and gifts? Wasn't there a GAF thread last year about a NYT article mocking entitled idiots like this?

This fucking guy. He's so clueless that he doesn't realize how well off he is. I'm actually on financial aid to finish school. I have a job, intern, and in Brooklyn college. I'll be trying to join the radio program and other things. I barely have time for vacation let alone savings.

So are there restrictions that apply if you are given your education for free? Do the students need to keep their GPA at a certain level?

Well you need a minimum of 2.0 for financial aid, it should apply for this. If people don't take it seriously, they don't deserve it imo.

Desi

125k is well above median family income. If you're covering more than half the families in the state, it's definitely a good start.
Exactly it is a good start. Quite a few folks are tied with this being the endgame and not the beginning of better things. Still wows me that public state higher education charge in the first place for instate students.

Kill3r7

Exactly it is a good start. Quite a few folks are tied with this being the endgame and not the beginning of better things. Still wows me that public state higher education charge in the first place for instate students.

Agreed but if you look at the annual budget for any of these institutions you quickly realize why.

Arkeband

Banned
People can't seem to separate the student from the parent.

Because unless you're a purple unicorn, they're never separated.

There is no epidemic of rich douchebag parents that kick 18 year olds out of their house to freeze and starve. The overwhelming, vast majority of them don't need to be taking advantage of this subsidy.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?

There is no epidemic of rich douchebag parents that kick 18 year olds out of their house to freeze and starve. The overwhelming, vast majority of them don't need to be taking advantage of this subsidy.

Won't somebody think of the rich children?

ccbfan

And yet students with parents making between 100K and 150K come out with the most debt according to a study about the UCs (Only study I can find for public college).

http://accountability.universityofcalifornia.edu/2015/chapters/chapter-2.html

Most kids need this subsidy. The ones that don't are far and between.

Plus, the rich kids from NY aren't going to SUNY or CUNY. They feel its beneath them.

Cagey

Banned

Family earnings of $125,001, regardless of family size or COL, makes you rich?

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Family earnings of $125,001, regardless of family size or COL, are rich?

Maybe not in some places like San Fransisco but for a lot of places that's pretty well off even if not filthy stinking "rich".

Cagey

Banned
Maybe not in some places like San Fransisco but for a lot of places that's pretty well off if not filthy stinking "rich".
Cool. We're talking about a state where the majority of the population lives in the NYC metro.

Most places are cheap. Most people live in a smaller number of expensive places.

Foffy

Banned
Make it for STEM or for majors with good job outlook only.

If this is the argument you want to make, you might as well be literally saying "don't make it free, ever."

The future is total upheaval, even for special snowflake STEM holiness.

Cagey

Banned

dbztrk

If this goes through, it will be the end of private colleges in NYC. I better start looking for a job at a CUNY or SUNY.

CUNY schools are already near capacity and some are above it. If this happens they'll have to expand campuses and take in more professors.

ccbfan

Yup. This is my takeaway from the thread.

Don't you know, going to the movies is such a luxury that even rich people shouldn't do more than once in a year.

Watching a baseball game on a weekend with nosebleed seats against a unenthusiastic opponent more than once a lifetime? Shit what are you the queen of England?

Quixzlizx

Thus my using the word metro. I could have also said "downstate". Long Island and Westchester are certainly part of this group.

2.8m on LI plus 950K in Westchester plus NYC and you're up over half. Easy.

Anyway this is a distraction. The term "rich" getting applied to the middle class is absurd.

I don't think an income of $125k makes someone rich, but they also shouldn't be crying about how they can only get box seats at Citifield 3 times a year and are barely making ends meet.

NimbusD

That's fucking awesome. Wish I could have taken advantage of something like that back in the day. Even with scholarships, I'm only just paying off loans in my 30s, and my mom died owing tens of thousands to send me to school. Can't tell you how much stress and heartache it caused my single mother to send two of her children to school.

If this goes through, it will be the end of private colleges in NYC. I better start looking for a job at a CUNY or SUNY.

Not at all, there are more than enough people who would never go to a state school no matter the name or education. Private schools put huge cash behind advertising themselves to kids and parents who don't know better. A good amount of state schools already offer way more bang for your buck in terms of education than most private schools can hope for.

Don't you know, going to the movies is such a luxury that even rich people shouldn't do more than once in a year.

Watching a baseball game on a weekend with nosebleed seats against a unenthusiastic opponent more than once a lifetime? Shit what are you the queen of England?

Or daycare.

Kill3r7

Or daycare.

Agreed but if you are not making 125k a year that kind of money seems like a small fortune. Yet when you are making 125k a year and have bought a house it seems like you are barely scrapping by. It also doesn't help that nice neighborhoods in the tri-state area cost an arm and a leg.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Brooklyn College and NYCCT represent! I've alreadyy graduated with two undergrads but I am very happy that a NY Govenor is making this proposal.

Agreed but if you are not making 125k a year that kind of money seems like a small fortune. Yet when you are making 125k a year and have bought a house it seems like you are barely scrapping by. It also doesn't help that nice neighborhoods in the tristaye area cost an arm and a leg.

I feel you. I'm just saying it's solid middle class. But when you break it down it's two adults making 62.5k/year.

It's good. But it's not "omg you have nothing to complain about" when it comes to cost of living. Shits expensive.

We looking to sell our condo now and get a house and it's daunting. Add in transportation and child care costs and taxes and that household income drops off like shit.

numble

And yet students with parents making between 100K and 150K come out with the most debt according to a study about the UCs (Only study I can find for public college).

http://accountability.universityofcalifornia.edu/2015/chapters/chapter-2.html

Most kids need this subsidy. The ones that don't are far and between.

Plus, the rich kids from NY aren't going to SUNY or CUNY. They feel its beneath them.

That's incorrect. Read your study again. It shows that over 50% of students with family incomes above $106k (and about 75% of students with family incomes above $159k) do not borrow any money at all. While 60-80% of students with family incomes below $106k borrow money. Where does this study say what you are saying?

Zoe

It is apparent who in this thread a) lives in a city and b) has kids or knows the true costs of kids.
There's quite a difference between daycare and spending a thousand on leisure activities each month.

ccbfan

That's incorrect. Read your study again. It shows that over 50% of students with family incomes above $106k (and about 75% of students with family incomes above $159k) do not borrow any money at all. While 60-80% of students with family incomes below $106k borrow money. Where does this study say what you are saying?

It's in the same graph you got your data from.

The average student with parent having an income between around 100k to 150k has the height debt. (Sorry rounded the numbers)

It like literally smack in you face right there.

numble

It's in the same graph you got your data from.

The average student with parent having an income between around 100k to 150k has the height debt. (Sorry rounded the numbers)

It like literally smack in you face right there.

It's not true. The blue line is "percent who borrowed"--in 2013-2014, 55% of students with parent income between $106k and $159k did not borrow any money at all.

ccbfan

It's not true. The blue line is "percent who borrowed"--in 2013-2014, 55% of students with parent income between $106k and $159k did not borrow any money at all.

Yes and the gray bar and the left y axis say the ones that do have the highest cumulative loan total.

ccbfan

Very true but I think that one dude either very poorly worded his argument or is actually Donald Trumps son.

200 a month per person for all activities outside the house is a lot?

Something that only the richest of the rich should be able to afford?

People here spend more money on a video games a month. Hell some people here spend more money on graphics card a month.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom