• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NY Times: Inside America’s Toughest Federal Prison - ADX, Colorado

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/03/29/m...oughest-federal-prison.html?ref=magazine&_r=2

29supermax6-superJumbo-v3.jpg

This is a fantastic, fantastic article detailing not only this prison, but how mental illness can stem from prison conditions.

Few choice quotes:
The ADX is the highest-security prison in the country. It was designed to be escape-proof, the Alcatraz of the Rockies, a place to incarcerate the worst, most unredeemable class of criminal — “a very small subset of the inmate population who show,” in the words of Norman Carlson, the former director of the Federal Bureau of Prisons, “absolutely no concern for human life.” Ted Kaczynski and the Atlanta Olympics bomber Eric Rudolph call the ADX home. The 9/11 conspirator Zacarias Moussaoui is held there, too, along with the 1993 World Trade Center bombing mastermind Ramzi Yousef; the Oklahoma City bomber Terry Nichols; the underwear bomber Umar Farouk Abdulmutallab; and the former Bonanno crime-family boss Vincent Basciano. Michael Swango, a serial-killing doctor who may have poisoned 60 of his patients, is serving three consecutive life sentences; Larry Hoover, the Gangster Disciples kingpin made famous by rappers like Rick Ross, is serving six; the traitorous F.B.I. agent Robert Hanssen, a Soviet spy, 15.

The ADX can house up to 500 prisoners in its eight units. Inmates spend their days in 12-by-7-foot cells with thick concrete walls and double sets of sliding metal doors (with solid exteriors, so prisoners can’t see one another). A single window, about three feet high but only four inches wide, offers a notched glimpse of sky and little else. Each cell has a sink-toilet combo and an automated shower, and prisoners sleep on concrete slabs topped with thin mattresses. Most cells also have televisions (with built-in radios), and inmates have access to books and periodicals, as well as certain arts-and-craft materials. Prisoners in the general population are allotted a maximum of 10 hours of exercise a week outside their cells, alternating between solo trips to an indoor “gym” (a windowless cell with a single chin-up bar) and group visits to the outdoor rec yard (where each prisoner nonetheless remains confined to an individual cage). All meals come through slots in the interior door, as does any face-to-face human interaction (with a guard or psychiatrist, chaplain or imam). The Amnesty report said that ADX prisoners “routinely go days with only a few words spoken to them.”

Over the next decade, Powers, by any rational accounting, lost his mind. He cut off both earlobes, chewed off a finger, sliced through his Achilles’ tendon, pushed staples into his face and forehead, swallowed a toothbrush and then tried to cut open his abdomen to retrieve it and injected what he considered “a pretty fair amount of bacteria-laden fluid” into his brain cavity after smashing a hole in his forehead. In 2005, after slicing open his scrotum and removing a testicle, Powers was sent to the medical center for federal prisoners in Springfield, Mo., for treatment, where a psychiatrist determined he was “not in need of inpatient psychiatric treatment or psychotropic medication” and that his behavior “was secondary to his antisocial disorder.” When he was returned to Springfield four years later, after slashing his wrists and writing “American Gulag” in blood on his bedsheets, the doctor wrote, “Considerations that [Powers] has some form of psychosis, thought disorder or mental illness are unfounded.”

Hood noted that the ADX’s predecessors, Alcatraz and Marion, each existed for roughly 30 years before shutting their doors. “The supermax in Colorado has been there for 20 years,” Hood said, “so it’s getting close to the last third of its life. I’d say the bureau is looking in the mirror and saying: ‘Guess what? The world is different now than in 1994.’ ”

Amory

Thanks for posting this. I'm morbidly fascinated by ADX Florence. I live in Boston and the bombing trial is going on right now, and so many people want Tsarnaev put to death because they see it as the worst punishment...

no, no. If he somehow isn't given the death penalty, he's going to end up in either ADX Florence or a facility very much like it as a 20-something year old.

It's a terrifying thought, and that guy is the definition of a piece of shit.

Amir0x

Banned
Damn that looks like a Russian gulag at points.

On top of the end to the Death Penalty, I sincerely think we need to start reclassifying things like solitary confinement as cruel and unusual punishment. It is one of the most agonizing experiences possible on the human mind. Read books from people who managed to survive years in the hole. It's horrifyingly haunting stuff about the way it destroys the mind.

DrForester

Kills Photobucket
I have to drive past this once and a while for work. The thing is quite imposing, even from the highway.

It's right outside Canon City Colorado, which has a half dozen prisons in or around it.

Fucking LOL. I didn't think Quality Inn was that bad.

xvTQXT9.png

ADX isn't on this map, but would be just a little South of the intersection of Highway 115 and 67

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
At first I was appalled at the way it was designed but then I heard the type of criminals being housed there and I understood why.

I think I rather be dead than serve and significant amount of time living like that and that is obviously the point.

Edit: ok read the article and its clear they are misusing the prison. It may need to be shut down

Sheroking

For evil people.

I think solitary confinement as a practice is awful too, but I'm not gonna waste any time or energy feeling sorry for those people. Fuck em.

Just like the death penalty, it's not about what they deserve, it's about what we as a society should morally do.

Like, is there some compelling reason they should sleep on concrete slabs or not be granted access to books or something? They can sit in their holes for the rest of their lives, but do those holes need to excessively torture them?

I want these fucks out of the society, I don't them to feel like society is enacting some bullshit old testament justice.

BumRush

Just like the death penalty, it's not about what they deserve, it's about what we as a society should morally do.

Like, is there some compelling reason they should sleep on concrete slabs or not be granted access to books or something? They can sit in their holes for the rest of their lives, but do those holes need to excessively torture them?

I want these fucks out of the society, I don't them to feel like society is enacting some bullshit old testament justice.

They have access to books and periodicals. They also have a TV and have access to crafts. They are allowed time outside, have their own showers, etc. Many of them killed dozens to hundreds of people. What more do you want them to have?

They have access to books and periodicals. They also have a TV and have access to crafts. They are allowed time outside, have their own showers, etc. Many of them killed dozens to hundreds of people. What more do you want them to have?

+1

People are acting like they need cable TV and a movie theater to go to on Saturday nights to be sane. No, most of these people are insane, have no regard for other human life, and are the ultimate in sociopathy and psychopathy. Not only are they known for having done (or attempted) heinous crimes that would have caused mass casualties, but they often did them WHILE IN JAIL. Many of these murdered fellow inmates or correctional officers. They have proven themselves to no longer be fit for traditional social interaction, and its for everyone's safety that they are isolated more often than not. Had they not been so nutty, these measures would neither be necessary nor taken.

People need to have some perspective.

entremet

On top of the end to the Death Penalty, I sincerely think we need to start reclassifying things like solitary confinement as cruel and unusual punishment. It is one of the most agonizing experiences possible on the human mind. Read books from people who managed to survive years in the hole. It's horrifyingly haunting stuff about the way it destroys the mind.

Relevant:

http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2009/03/30/hellhole

Excerpt:

Human beings are social creatures. We are social not just in the trivial sense that we like company, and not just in the obvious sense that we each depend on others. We are social in a more elemental way: simply to exist as a normal human being requires interaction with other people.

Children provide the clearest demonstration of this fact, although it was slow to be accepted. Well into the nineteen-fifties, psychologists were encouraging parents to give children less attention and affection, in order to encourage independence. Then Harry Harlow, a professor of psychology at the University of Wisconsin at Madison, produced a series of influential studies involving baby rhesus monkeys.

He happened upon the findings in the mid-fifties, when he decided to save money for his primate-research laboratory by breeding his own lab monkeys instead of importing them from India. Because he didn’t know how to raise infant monkeys, he cared for them the way hospitals of the era cared for human infants—in nurseries, with plenty of food, warm blankets, some toys, and in isolation from other infants to prevent the spread of infection. The monkeys grew up sturdy, disease-free, and larger than those from the wild. Yet they were also profoundly disturbed, given to staring blankly and rocking in place for long periods, circling their cages repetitively, and mutilating themselves.

At first, Harlow and his graduate students couldn’t figure out what the problem was. They considered factors such as diet, patterns of light exposure, even the antibiotics they used. Then, as Deborah Blum recounts in a fascinating biography of Harlow, “Love at Goon Park,” one of his researchers noticed how tightly the monkeys clung to their soft blankets. Harlow wondered whether what the monkeys were missing in their Isolettes was a mother. So, in an odd experiment, he gave them an artificial one.

In the studies, one artificial mother was a doll made of terry cloth; the other was made of wire. He placed a warming device inside the dolls to make them seem more comforting. The babies, Harlow discovered, largely ignored the wire mother. But they became deeply attached to the cloth mother. They caressed it. They slept curled up on it. They ran to it when frightened. They refused replacements: they wanted only “their” mother. If sharp spikes were made to randomly thrust out of the mother’s body when the rhesus babies held it, they waited patiently for the spikes to recede and returned to clutching it. No matter how tightly they clung to the surrogate mothers, however, the monkeys remained psychologically abnormal.

In a later study on the effect of total isolation from birth, the researchers found that the test monkeys, upon being released into a group of ordinary monkeys, “usually go into a state of emotional shock, characterized by . . . autistic self-clutching and rocking.” Harlow noted, “One of six monkeys isolated for three months refused to eat after release and died five days later.” After several weeks in the company of other monkeys, most of them adjusted—but not those who had been isolated for longer periods. “Twelve months of isolation almost obliterated the animals socially,” Harlow wrote. They became permanently withdrawn, and they lived as outcasts—regularly set upon, as if inviting abuse.

The research made Harlow famous (and infamous, too—revulsion at his work helped spur the animal-rights movement). Other psychologists produced evidence of similarly deep and sustained damage in neglected and orphaned children. Hospitals were made to open up their nurseries to parents. And it became widely accepted that children require nurturing human beings not just for food and protection but also for the normal functioning of their brains.

We have been hesitant to apply these lessons to adults. Adults, after all, are fully formed, independent beings, with internal strengths and knowledge to draw upon. We wouldn’t have anything like a child’s dependence on other people, right? Yet it seems that we do. We don’t have a lot of monkey experiments to call upon here. But mankind has produced tens of thousands of human ones, including in our prison system. And the picture that has emerged is profoundly unsettling.

BigDug13

Yeah these guys actually have it nicer than solitary confinement in other less secure prisons.

RiZ III

I have no sympathy for all of the mass murderers or would be mass murderers in there, but the fact that any normal prisoner like Powers could land in there is insane. A place like that shouldn't exist.

Brakke

Banned
Jesus Murphy.

On any given day, there are 80,000 U.S. prisoners in solitary confinement.

The emptiness that pervades solitary-confinement units “has led some prisoners into a profound level of what might be called ‘ontological insecurity,’ ” Haney, who worked as a principal researcher on the Stanford Prison Experiment while in graduate school, told the senators. “They are not sure that they exist and, if they do, exactly who they are.”

"Ontological insecurity".

This is tough because on the one hand, you see this obviously being abused and us causing permanent psychological harm to people. When you play the role of the punisher, you get forced to dehumanize your charges. And human contact is a basic human requirement.

On the other hand, what are you supposed to do with a Ted Kaczynski? A normal prison is a death sentence waiting to happen, either for him or somebody else.

I have no sympathy for all of the mass murderers or would be mass murderers in there, but the fact that any normal prisoner like Powers could land in there is insane. A place like that shouldn't exist.

What's the point of torturing a mass murderer like this? There's no productive vengeance to be wrought here, because by definition vengeance is a waste of time and physical + emotional resources.

Brakke

Banned
This is tough because on the one hand, you see this obviously being abused and us causing permanent psychological harm to people. When you play the role of the punisher, you get forced to dehumanize your charges. And human contact is a basic human requirement.

On the other hand, what are you supposed to do with a Ted Kaczynski? A normal prison is a death sentence waiting to happen, either for him or somebody else.

Why is Kaczynski a present threat? Has he harmed anyone since incarceration?

Macam

Banned
It makes for an interesting comparison, say against Norway's maximum security Halden prison:

29mag-volleyball-blog427.jpg

NYTimes Magazine said:
Like everything else in Norway, the tw­o-­hour drive southeast from Oslo seemed impossibly civilized. The highways were perfectly maintained and painted, the signs clear and informative and the speed-­monitoring cameras primly intolerant. My destination was the town of Halden, which is on the border with Sweden, straddling a narrow fjord guarded by a 17th-­century fortress. I drove down winding roads flanked in midsummer by rich green fields of young barley and dense yellow carpets of rapeseed plants in full flower. Cows clustered in wood-­fenced pastures next to neat farmsteads in shades of rust and ocher. On the outskirts of town, across from a road parting dark pine forest, the turnoff to Norway’s newest prison was marked by a modest sign that read, simply, HALDEN ­FENGSEL. There were no signs warning against picking up hitchhikers, no visible fences. Only the 25-­foot-­tall floodlights rising along the edges hinted that something other than grazing cows lay ahead.

Smooth, featureless concrete rose on the horizon like the wall of a dam as I approached; nearly four times as tall as a man, it snaked along the crests of the hills, its top curled toward me as if under pressure. This was the outer wall of Halden Fengsel, which is often called the world’s most humane maximum-­security prison. I walked up the quiet driveway to the entrance and presented myself to a camera at the main door. There were no coils of razor wire in sight, no lethal electric fences, no towers manned by snipers — nothing violent, threatening or dangerous. And yet no prisoner has ever tried to escape. I rang the intercom, the lock disengaged with a click and I stepped inside.

To anyone familiar with the American correctional system, Halden seems alien. Its modern, cheerful and well-­appointed facilities, the relative freedom of movement it offers, its quiet and peaceful atmosphere — these qualities are so out of sync with the forms of imprisonment found in the United States that you could be forgiven for doubting whether Halden is a prison at all. It is, of course, but it is also something more: the physical expression of an entire national philosophy about the relative merits of punishment and forgiveness.

I have to drive past this once and a while for work. The thing is quite imposing, even from the highway.

It's right outside Canon City Colorado, which has a half dozen prisons in or around it.

xvTQXT9.png

ADX isn't on this map, but would be just a little South of the intersection of Highway 115 and 67
Can I use my membership card at the YMCA Mountain location?

Why is Kaczynski a present threat? Has he harmed anyone since incarceration?

Not that I'm aware of. But trust me, stick the guy in regular prison and somebody WILL try to off him. See: Jeff Dahmer

If you release him from prison I virtually guarantee he goes back to blowing people up though. He's a profoundly, irredeemably disturbed individual.

So what do you do with these guys? Subject them to torture because there's no other viable alternative? You can't let the guy go, that's for sure.

Lime

US society and some people's lust for revenge scare me.

People do despicable & inhumane things. That doesn't mean you have to be as despicable & inhumane as well.

Somnid

The U.S. sucks ass as usual. What is the point of torturing people?

It's not designed to torture but houses inmates that are either dangerous to others, have extreme risk from the general population, are known for escaping, or are high profile political targets. Ordinarily people sent there do not have extended stay. It's more that we currently don't have better ways of dealing with these people, we can't kill them but their continued existence is a threat. I'm sure nobody wants to deal with them either, it's a lot of time and effort for the most despicable of people. So we stick them solitary where they can do the least harm. It's not a good system but they aren't there for revenge.

foxtrot3d

Banned
I haven't read the article yet just the excepts but do people realize that such individuals are placed in solitary confinement to protect other prisoners as well as themselves? Why should an ordinary prisoner have to serve in the same prison and cell as a serial killer? That's also cruel.

Will report more in-depth feelings after I've read the full article.

Madness

What world do you live in, where you think mass murderers, cannibals, serial killers, bombers, terrorists, should be allowed any contact with the outside world? They're lucky they're not six feet under the ground. Why should any guards, any other inmates risk living with these psychopaths? That's what they are. The worst of the worst are house in ADX and Supermax prisons.

I swear some of you really have no clue what kind of people are out there. Some guys are sociopaths and psychopaths. There is no reason for them. They won't be rehabilitated, they won't ever 'be good'. The solitary order is often to protect them from other inmates as well. There are no other sane alternatives aside from the death penalty. Don't want to experience solitary confinement? Then don't commit the types of crimes these people have.

RiZ III

It seems like most of you didn't read the full article. This isn't about whether Ted Kaczinsky deserves to have a nice prison stay. It's the fact that they're putting mentally I'll patients who don't even necessarily have a violent past in conditions that are literally driving them inane. Robbery shouldn't land a person in decades of solitary confinement, it shouldn't end up with them strapped to a hard bed for days at a time while they defecate themselves. It's midieval. It's barbaric.

KingGondo

Banned
What world do you live in, where you think mass murderers, cannibals, serial killers, bombers, terrorists, should be allowed any contact with the outside world? They're lucky they're not six feet under the ground. Why should any guards, any other inmates risk living with these psychopaths? That's what they are. The worst of the worst are house in ADX and Supermax prisons.

I swear some of you really have no clue what kind of people are out there. Some guys are sociopaths and psychopaths. There is no reason for them. They won't be rehabilitated, they won't ever 'be good'. The solitary order is often to protect them from other inmates as well. There are no other sane alternatives aside from the death penalty. Don't want to experience solitary confinement? Then don't commit the types of crimes these people have.
Read the article.

Maledict

See the posts above about Norway's top security prison. It doesn't have to be like this, and the American way of dealing with it doesn't seem to work at all, so maybe it's time to try something new?

Madness

Read the article.

I did. Because they focused on one individual who was 'caught up' in the system as a flight risk and transferred to the same ADX cellblock, it makes it somehow bad for the rest? Did you miss this pertinent information on Jones?

"after racking up three assault charges in less than a year (all fights with other inmates) at a medium-security facility in Louisiana, found himself transferred to the same ADX cellblock as Kaczynski."

Do you know how many inmates, guards, civilians are killed each year because of improper housing? Hell, just a couple years back, a female CO was killed in Monroe, WA because they put her alone at night with an inmate who clearly should not have been allowed human contact.

Like I wrote above, unless you've worked with offenders, studied criminology, or have actually been inside a maximum, or medium security facility, you won't understand. Solitary confinement exists to protect others who have just as much of a right to safety and security as anyone else. Is solitary confinement difficult? Of course. Just like prison is difficult. It's a consequence and punishment imposed because of past actions.

Maledict

I did. Because they focused on one individual who was 'caught up' in the system as a flight risk and transferred to the same ADX cellblock, it makes it somehow bad for the rest? Did you miss this pertinent information on Jones?

"after racking up three assault charges in less than a year (all fights with other inmates) at a medium-security facility in Louisiana, found himself transferred to the same ADX cellblock as Kaczynski."

Do you know how many inmates, guards, civilians are killed each year because of improper housing? Hell, just a couple years back, a female CO was killed in Monroe, WA because they put her alone at night with an inmate who clearly should not have been allowed human contact.

Like I wrote above, unless you've worked with offenders, studied criminology, or have actually been inside a maximum, or medium security facility, you won't understand. Solitary confinement exists to protect others who have just as much of a right to safety and security as anyone else. Is solitary confinement difficult? Of course. Just like prison is difficult. It's a consequence and punishment imposed because of past actions.

Again, I work with offenders. The American, and to a lesser extent the UK system, or imprisonment does not work. Other countries seem to be doing far better at this than us. We should try something new. Most people I work with feel the same.

See the posts above about Norway's top security prison. It doesn't have to be like this, and the American way of dealing with it doesn't seem to work at all, so maybe it's time to try something new?

NEVER! Stick to your guns!! Just have to apply more pressure and one day it'll work.

Madness

Again, I work with offenders. The American, and to a lesser extent the UK system, or imprisonment does not work. Other countries seem to be doing far better at this than us. We should try something new. Most people I work with feel the same.

Have you ever considered that it works in other countries, because they are other countries? What does any of this have to do with what I spoke out against? This was about solitary confinement and supermax prisons, not the American or UK justice system. You work with offenders, is that for a non-profit organization or as part of a correctional institute?

Again, this is about supermax prisons and solitary confinement, nothing else.

KingGondo

Banned

If your takeaway from the article is that it focused on one individual who was caught up in the system then you didn't read it very closely. There are lots of people in solitary or in prison who need psychological treatment, not punishment. There are systemic issues that cause more problems than they solve.

It doesn't have to be this way.

Suikoguy

I whinny my fervor lowly, for his length is not as great as those of the Hylian war stallions

xvTQXT9.png

I thought this was a meme that would have been fixed by now, but nope
https://www.google.com/maps/search/Prison/@38.4316809,-105.2109725,13786m/data=!3m2!1e3!4b1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom