• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Sylas

It's fucking garbage in the city. Drunk assholes everywhere (primarily from Long Island and New Jersey), puke on subway platforms and sidewalks. It's a goddamned nightmare, especially if you work anywhere near Penn Station, which I do.

I totally forgot about this. Ugh. Thankfully the commute this morning wasn't too bad, but I imagine getting home tonight is gonna be rough. Hoping 14th and 8th isn't too bad today either, as I have an appointment around there at 3.

God dammit.

NimbusD

First year working right in between Times Sq and Penn station for St Patties day. Block-long roves of drunked idiots screaming.

THis was a fun interaction I saw:

Jersey bro screaming accidentally (or not?) screams in the face of a very tall, built black man who's just chilling outside a store. Black guy gets in the kid's face and kid immediately crumbles and apologizes as friends look on. Kid walks away and black guys laughs, as kid is walking past me I here him mumble "Fucking black people" and starts laughing.

Yeah these people are real fun.

First year working right in between Times Sq and Penn station for St Patties day. Block-long roves of drunked idiots screaming.

THis was a fun interaction I saw:

Jersey bro screaming accidentally (or not?) screams in the face of a very tall, built black man who's just chilling outside a store. Black guy gets in the kid's face and kid immediately crumbles and apologizes as friends look on. Kid walks away and black guys laughs, as kid is walking past me I here him mumble "Fucking black people" and starts laughing.

Yeah these people are real fun.

This may be the one thing I like about St. Patricks in the city, seeing a bunch of drunken Jersey bros suddenly get real confident in their ability to kick some ass. I take too much pleasure in seeing the kind of drunks who slap cars as they're jaywalking get an ass kicking every now and then.

Marvie_3

Banned
I think I've finally reached the age at which I hate St. Patricks Day. Fucking vape pens and green beads as far as the eye can see. How are so many people in the city able to get out of work or school?
Its why im not leaving the house today. Dealing with people on st patricks day fucking sucks.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
This may be the one thing I like about St. Patricks in the city, seeing a bunch of drunken Jersey bros suddenly get real confident in their ability to kick some ass. I take too much pleasure in seeing the kind of drunks who slap cars as they're jaywalking get an ass kicking every now and then.

I had to take the LIRR in this morning since I was running late and the Island Boys aren't a whole lot better. They were all already drunk as shit causing shit and it was like 10am. After picking fights and backing down in crowded as fuck train cars they proceeded to sing the star spangled banner as loud as they possibly could.

Its why im not leaving the house today. Dealing with people on st patricks day fucking sucks.

Amen brother.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
+1 person who hates the trash coming in from NJ & LI to piss all over my city

pissing on the city is for our hobos!

+1 person who hates the trash coming in from NJ & LI to piss all over my city

pissing on the city is for our hobos!

most of them are from hoboken LOL

but that's where Eli and Tim Tebow lived

we Koreans took over Fort Lee and Pal Park we don't need the city except 33rd-35th street to get drunk =)

Working out of 12th Ave today so I'm glad I don't have to deal with any drunk fools on the street. My old job dealt with retail and I absolutely hated those fools coming up to use the bathroom and then messing up the store.

Mega

Banned
I think I've finally reached the age at which I hate St. Patricks Day. Fucking vape pens and green beads as far as the eye can see. How are so many people in the city able to get out of work or school?

I have always hated St. Patrick's Day in the city. It sucks.

Jhoan

anyone take the D or F train and get off at 34th Street? the smell coming from the platform is the worst it's ever been. what's causing it?
Nope and I took the D train earlier to go to Chinatown to meet with my boss from 125th st. What kind of smell is it if you can describe it? I mean the subway always has all kinds of odd odors all the time so it's probably a dead rat.

Was at MoMA for the first time in over a year. There's a lot of stuff that I didn't get around to seeing so I plan on going back in the next week if not next month. They have a cool interactive newstand exhibition with a dude inside and prints for people to take for free on the 3rd floor.

Also saw a Jackson Pollock exhibition which was cool since his earlier works is not as celebrated as his famous drip paintings. I enjoyed his earlier works a lot more. I saw some stuff that made me think including Bill Gates owning an image company called Corbis which owns 65 million historical images, only 225,000 of which have been digitized. Gates plans to bury the rest of images in some kind of a frozen site. Dude is making money off it.

Lastly, one other piece that I saw that made me think was about Brownsville, Brooklyn. I don't want to distort the facts but it shows how messed up the whole prison system really is that money doesn't go back into reinvestment in neighborhoods that house poor, ex-convicts. Go do yourselves a favor and go check out MoMA. I love that museum even if some of the stuff they have on display is a bit hokey.

Edit:I hope this thread doesn't go into obscurity now that's in OT Community. I usually lurk.

Kisaya

Was at MoMA for the first time in over a year. There's a lot of stuff that I didn't get around to seeing so I plan on going back in the next week if not next month. They have a cool interactive newstand exhibition with a dude inside and prints for people to take for free on the 3rd floor.

Also saw a Jackson Pollock exhibition which was cool since his earlier works is not as celebrated as his famous drip paintings. I enjoyed his earlier works a lot more. I saw some stuff that made me think including Bill Gates owning an image company called Corbis which owns 65 million historical images, only 225,000 of which have been digitized. Gates plans to bury the rest of images in some kind of a frozen site. Dude is making money off it.

Lastly, one other piece that I saw that made me think was about Brownsville, Brooklyn. I don't want to distort the facts but it shows how messed up the whole prison system really is that money doesn't go back into reinvestment in neighborhoods that house poor, ex-convicts. Go do yourselves a favor and go check out MoMA. I love that museum even if some of the stuff they have on display is a bit hokey.

The MoMA has a great collection and awesome exhibitions these days, but the crowd of people there makes it so unbearable, especially on Fridays when it's free in the evening. It's so disappointing how much it takes away from my viewing pleasure there.

Anyone get to check out the new MET Breuer? From what I saw on Instagram it had quite the opening. Really want to get myself over there when the hype dies down (want to avoid crowds like when the new Whitney opened).

Here's a question that's on my mind on and off for a few weeks. Would anyone be interested in possibly paying a visit to Grave Robber X out in Queens some time in early March? I have an idea for something that I want to do during the next meetup that will directly tie into this visit.

Basically, it would be a piece of Bristol paper that everyone who attends would fill out and add their piece to it; a nice gesture if you will of showing solidarity while he recovers. This would then be delivered in person at a later point. I'll pitch it in the meetup thread.

Hi, i just read your post just now, yeah, i would like to go show support if it helps=)

it's probably too late in the month but just remembered about this and wanted to follow up. anyways, it's not like i'm trying to impose on going or anything like that... (i'm in NJ). i just would feel bad if i didn't follow through.

if you need extra bodies, shoot me a pm!

Jhoan

The MoMA has a great collection and awesome exhibitions these days, but the crowd of people there makes it so unbearable, especially on Fridays when it's free in the evening. It's so disappointing how much it takes away from my viewing pleasure there.

Anyone get to check out the new MET Breuer? From what I saw on Instagram it had quite the opening. Really want to get myself over there when the hype dies down (want to avoid crowds like when the new Whitney opened).
Yeah, Friday is truly the kiss of the death day to go on despite it being open later. Thankfully I still have my CUNY ID so I can go for free any other day and beat the crowds. Maybe it's just me, but I shake my head when people take pictures of the art and record it with their Go Pro sticks.

Funny that you mentioned The Met Breuer because I got an alert of its grand opening on my Facebook today. Definitely on my to visit places between The Whitney's relocation to Chelsea and the New Museum.
Hey are you guys planning any meetups anytime soon?
I'm personally going to sit out organizing one for the next few months since my life has gotten a bit busier lately so I don't know how much free time I would have to commit to it in addition to keeping track of my finances. I have respect for Toronto GAF organizing one every month this year thus far. However, I will be at the Boston GAF PAX East meetup next month.
it's probably too late in the month but just remembered about this and wanted to follow up. anyways, it's not like i'm trying to impose on going or anything like that... (i'm in NJ). i just would feel bad if i didn't follow through.

if you need extra bodies, shoot me a pm!
Not at all, I appreciate the fact that you're still interested in this! I admittedly forgot about this since I started an internship about 2 weeks ago and between getting work done for my other boss for the start up, I haven't set aside a lot of time for personal stuff. The aforementioned internship boss has been making sure I do my minimum of 10 hours per week. Thankfully both bosses are flexible as long as I get the work done in a timely manner and set time for meeting with them.

I haven't gotten around to producing the piece nor have I PM'ed him since I can't think a solid date at the moment. My April is going to be completely busy so I'll figure out a date and time with him where it balances out perfectly.

Mega

Banned

For real. I haven't gone to any museums in ages but I remember MoMA being so ridiculously crowded. It must be a lot worse now in 2016. I remember visiting the Rubin Museum and it was a comoletely different experience. Lots of breathing room, no noise or crowds, very calm viewing experience.

Oh god finding a place to live here is terrifying.
Does anyone have any quick tips? April is breathing down my neck...
it's awful. And because the market is so fierce, there's no use to trying to nail anything down early because anything available now won't be later. Last time I was in the hunt, I used Craigslist a lot but that was a handful of years ago so YMMV.

nukedeggs

Oh god finding a place to live here is terrifying.
Does anyone have any quick tips? April is breathing down my neck...
My biggest tip would be to move fast and try to have all your documents ready to submit once you decide on a place since IIRC a lot of apartments are first come first serve when it comes to applications. Streeteasy is pretty good for looking at apts too, I used that a lot. It's gonna start heating up soon, and I believe May - August move-ins are the busiest times as well as when prices are at their peaks, so yeah.

Staten Island so much cheaper and your 20 mins from the city you get way WAY more for your money
There are reasons it's so much cheaper...

You may be the first person I've ever heard recommend that someone move to Staten Island.

agree,

i worked there, that place is a dump... literally.

SI lol
Is that place still full of rejected wutang collaborators and abandoned mental asylums turned rave spots
Also cops

Fox318

Fuck the Staten Island haters.

Didn't you go see our majestic Dolphins statue and fountain?

YsSnhPG.jpg

Christopher

I live in the really really nice area of Staten Island - I go to the city to work/play then leave it behind.

Certain areas in Staten Island are shit just like most areas of the 5 boroughs

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
Staten Island so much cheaper and your 20 mins from the city you get way WAY more for your money

I won't dump on SI like everyone else - I have friends who live there and I've been there many times. It's not for me because I don't have a car.

But if your argument for SI is that it's close to the city and is cheaper, then I would have to say NJ fits the same bill and you save on taxes (and is easier to get to the city).

Jhoan

Can anyone recommend can a good bar where one can have a good conversation either in Midtown or south of midtown? I'm meeting up with a girl tomorrow evening and told her I would get back to her with a place later today. I definitely don't want to do Barcade since it's too loud and distacting in addition to the happy hour rush. A friend recommended Burp Castle in the East Village since it's ideal for that.

Makai

Can anyone recommend can a good bar where one can have a good conversation either in Midtown or south of midtown? I'm meeting up with a girl tomorrow evening and told her I would get back to her with a place later today. I definitely don't want to do Barcade since it's too loud and distacting in addition to the happy hour rush. A friend recommended Burp Castle in the East Village since it's ideal for that.
Meatball Factory

Is this a date? If so, maybe pass on any place called the Burp Castle.

Lulubop

Proletariat in the East Village. It's a beer bar tho.

Top Bottom