• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Jhoan

Meatball Factory
Noted, I'll look it up.
Is this a date? If so, maybe pass on any place called the Burp Castle.
Hahaha, yeah it's a date. I usually meet up at a Starbucks these days so it's been a while since I've met up at a bar. Done Pony Bar in the past but it gets crowded in there. I actually thought about organizing a GAF meetup at Burp Castle in the past but realized that it's not a good place for groups due to the setting; you have to whisper in that bar or else the bartenders will shush people who speak loudly.
Proletariat in the East Village. It's a beer bar tho.
Noted as well. I don't mind beer since I'm volunteering at the New York Craft Beer Festival this weekend. Last successful date I had was at a beer bar for what it's worth.

Can anyone recommend can a good bar where one can have a good conversation either in Midtown or south of midtown? I'm meeting up with a girl tomorrow evening and told her I would get back to her with a place later today. I definitely don't want to do Barcade since it's too loud and distacting in addition to the happy hour rush. A friend recommended Burp Castle in the East Village since it's ideal for that.

If you're around 23rd St and 6th Ave, there's an Irish pub called The Storehouse. Not too many folks show up there, except for people getting off work. They have sports on the TV plus beer and booze. I wouldn't say it's quiet but the times I've been there haven't been too much raucous banter.

Jhoan

If you're around 23rd St and 6th Ave, there's an Irish pub called The Storehouse. Not too many folks show up there, except for people getting off work. They have sports on the TV plus beer and booze. I wouldn't say it's quiet but the times I've been there haven't been too much raucous banter.
Funny enough, the girl in question works somewhere on 23rd street and after looking through the Yelp page, it sounds like my kind of place. Plus Madison Square Park is nearby as a place to go to beforehand or afterwards if things are going well. I'm going to roll with that place since it makes it easy for her.
Take your date to the sugar factory many many many successful date stories from my friends were from there
If I had money to blow or were to go with friends, this place wouldn't be a bad idea especially after coming from the nearby museum. I think I have a friend who went there on a date and told me it was a very successful first date. That being said, $36 for a big sugary goblet of booze is out of my budget (well now that I think about it, we could have split it but too late since I pitched the aforementioned place). I will throw this place into the OP for future reference.

Jhoan

So the New York Craft Beer Festival is happening tonight and tomorrow. I gotta be down there to volunteer at 6 tonight. Will be there all day tomorrow. Is anyone planning on going? I get a free ticket for volunteering so if anyone wants to go tomorrow, let me know.

Makai

So the New York Craft Beer Festival is happening tonight and tomorrow. I gotta be down there to volunteer at 6 tonight. Will be there all day tomorrow. Is anyone planning on going? I get a free ticket for volunteering so if anyone wants to go tomorrow, let me know.
Yes please!

Jhoan

Whoa, when did you change your name?
Hahaha, I changed it in the beginning of this month. I got tired of hiding behind my GAF name seeing as I use my real name to follow a bunch of GAF members on Twitter so here we are. You guys can still me call me Jipan though since I don't mind.

hoggert

Hahaha, I changed it in the beginning of this month. I got tired of hiding behind my GAF name seeing as I use my real name to follow a bunch of GAF members on Twitter so here we are. You guys can still me call me Jipan though since I don't mind.

I hate change
but only when I'm on mobile and can't see people's avatars

Jhoan

Anyone down to bar hop in Williamsburg or the East Village some weekends?
I'll probably be down tomorrow after my shift ends since the Festival is at the Lexington Armory it it's the latter. I may or may not be hammered by the time shift ends. Probably will not be drinking though since I went on an art supply splurge a few days ago and gotta save money for my Boston trip.

@Makai, Got your PM. I haven't forgotten the ticket since I did set it as a reminder.

Jhoan

When should I show up to the festival?
There's two sessions. The first one starts at noon and ends at 4:30pm; the second session starts at 5:30pm and ends at 10:30pm. You get a free beer sampling glass to try as much alcoholic drinks as you want. VIP goes in an hour before general admission.

This what I've been serving tonight:
IyV6tFG.jpg

I've been telling people it's sour, 6.5% ABV, made in Picton, Ontario, and it's Canadian cider.

Nope and I took the D train earlier to go to Chinatown to meet with my boss from 125th st. What kind of smell is it if you can describe it? I mean the subway always has all kinds of odd odors all the time so it's probably a dead rat.

Was at MoMA for the first time in over a year. There's a lot of stuff that I didn't get around to seeing so I plan on going back in the next week if not next month. They have a cool interactive newstand exhibition with a dude inside and prints for people to take for free on the 3rd floor.

Also saw a Jackson Pollock exhibition which was cool since his earlier works is not as celebrated as his famous drip paintings. I enjoyed his earlier works a lot more. I saw some stuff that made me think including Bill Gates owning an image company called Corbis which owns 65 million historical images, only 225,000 of which have been digitized. Gates plans to bury the rest of images in some kind of a frozen site. Dude is making money off it.

Lastly, one other piece that I saw that made me think was about Brownsville, Brooklyn. I don't want to distort the facts but it shows how messed up the whole prison system really is that money doesn't go back into reinvestment in neighborhoods that house poor, ex-convicts. Go do yourselves a favor and go check out MoMA. I love that museum even if some of the stuff they have on display is a bit hokey.

Edit:I hope this thread doesn't go into obscurity now that's in OT Community. I usually lurk.

it smells like a mix of BO, raw sewage and rotting garbage.

Makai

Ok, I'll go to the first session. Will I be general admission or VIP? Never had a sour beer.

Also the website says it starts an hour later

VIP: 1-4:30pm
General Admission: 2-4:30pm

Jhoan

it smells like a mix of BO, raw sewage and rotting garbage.
Hahaha, it sounds like the smell of con stench at times when it's incredibly crowded. Typical MTA/Jersey smell.
Ok, I'll go to the first session. Will I be general admission or VIP? Never had a sour beer.

Also the website says it starts an hour later

VIP: 1-4:30pm
General Admission: 2-4:30pm
General Admission. VIP gets access to additional area downstairs near the bathrooms. They have exclusive breweries and beers but it's basically the same ones they have upstairs and then some so I don't think it's worth it.

Jhoan

Meanwhile I have a second shift to do at the Beer Festival. Should be fun times ahead. I think I'll come out of this alive. Doing the second shift because I have a ton of respect for the Director of this organization. There will be drunk people tonight so hoo boy!

Blunoise

So is bushwick still bad ? And is it the cheapest hip neighborhood in Brooklyn to live in. I am learning web devlopment and will be apply for job next year, so I guess at an entry level position I should be ok income wise right?

So is bushwick still bad ? And is it the cheapest hip neighborhood in Brooklyn to live in. I am learning web devlopment and will be apply for job next year, so I guess at an entry level position I should be ok income wise right?
Eh bushwick is fine. I mean it's not Park Slope or Brooklyn Heights but its not super dangerous. Just be aware like you always should.

Sylas

Depends on what you mean by entry level. You won't be able to really afford, or get approved, for an apartment unless you're making 40-50x rent with your yearly salary. Might wanna look into roommates depending on the salary.

Mega

Banned

Bushwick is becoming more expensive with each passing month. It's basically the next place in Brooklyn deep in the process of gentrification and no longer a good neighborhood for someone who doesn't have serious savings and a good-paying job lined up.

All of Northern Bk is basically super expensive or on its way there soon. Forget hip(?) neighborhoods. Make decent and affordable a priority. I don't have any firm recommendations but try looking at neighborhoods further south in Brooklyn or maybe in Queens. It will be a lot cheaper with commutes comparable or maybe a little longer into the city. If a prime location with everything a young person could want is your preference, then Sylas's recommendation to find roommates is the correct one.

Isn't park slope boring ?
Yes but if you're like me and have reached a few age milestones, boring becomes good. It's the housing equivalent of the proverb, "may you live in interesting times". I'll take boring six days a week and twice on Sundays.

Finally!

Bushwick is becoming more expensive with each passing month. It's basically the next place in Brooklyn deep in the process of gentrification and no longer a good neighborhood for someone who doesn't have serious savings and a good-paying job lined up...
I think the best bests for affordable neighborhoods are going to be those areas that are a bit off the easy transportation grid or a good trek from Manhattan-- everything super convenient to the subway and/or moderately close to the island is heading towards the moon, price wise

Kisaya

Isn't park slope boring ?

Depends what you mean by boring. I went to middle school there, and then avoided the area until after I turned 21. Lots of great bars and restaurants. The only thing I found boring was the new crowd of gentrifiers living there now (I always had a hard time talking to them, found them uninteresting and annoying), but it was always a good time whenever I was with friends.

Jhoan

If anyone has nothing better to do tonight and will be in the LES area, I'm going to be tabling at an event, Superheroes Vs Cthulu 2 that's from 7pm-11:30pm. There's going to be some kind of cosplay contest there among other things. Details are here: https://m.facebook.com/home.php#!/e..._plan_mall_activity&notif_id=1459967939599924

On a slightly unrelated note, I'll be taking ideas for the next meet up (May) so fire away on anything too outrageous or boring.

Makai

Pau/Karkador, and anyone else who likes board games - Coup is really great. Kinda like a mix of Mafia and Love Letter.

I mean why don't more people have roommates. Never understood why so many people want to avoid it.

It lets you live in more expensice areas and a pseudo family and you still have privacy in your bedroom. I mean I'm planning on living with roommates until I get a girl to settle down with but then thats just like roommates.

Yes but if you're like me and have reached a few age milestones, boring becomes good. It's the housing equivalent of the proverb, "may you live in interesting times". I'll take boring six days a week and twice on Sundays.

Finally!

I think the best bests for affordable neighborhoods are going to be those areas that are a bit off the easy transportation grid or a good trek from Manhattan-- everything super convenient to the subway and/or moderately close to the island is heading towards the moon, price wise
Why not sunset park? I don't think that part is to unaffordable. It's a bit of a hike (40 minutes to midtown)

Mega

Banned
I mean why don't more people have roommates. Never understood why so many people want to avoid it.

It lets you live in more expensice areas and a pseudo family and you still have privacy in your bedroom. I mean I'm planning on living with roommates until I get a girl to settle down with but then thats just like roommates.

Besides the annoyance and horror stories? Some of us think it sucks and don't like the thought of unnecessary extra people in our homes. I would rather have real privacy and freedom in my own entire place further from work than share a cramped apartment and bathroom with a bunch of people I hardly know. Not everyone wants to live in an expensive part of the city either. I personally consider roommates an extension of college life... an early 20s, just got my first job thing that younger people do. Getting your own place is a bigger step into adulthood in comparison. Living together with a gf, partner or spouse is huge and nothing like simply having roommates. If you like roomies that's fine, but it's a no brainier why more people don't do it.

Sunset is okay but large swaths of it are seedy and unsafe. It's not the best neighborhood for a naive newcomer to the city. When I say naive, I don't mean that in a bad way.

Depends what you mean by boring. I went to middle school there, and then avoided the area until after I turned 21. Lots of great bars and restaurants. The only thing I found boring was the new crowd of gentrifiers living there now (I always had a hard time talking to them, found them uninteresting and annoying), but it was always a good time whenever I was with friends.

Nice restaurants and shops but the people living there are definitely too like-minded, homogeneous droves of suburban types mingling only with each other, baby strollers and bratty kids everywhere. Makes you wonder... why even live in NYC?

Still trying to get used to living in the West Village after living in the Bronx for most of my life (spent a couple of years at Washington Heights). The Village can sure be pretty seedy at night but given the things to do and places to go even in the wee hours its expected. TONS of homeless as well. Amazing given how quiet and pleasant my old Bronx hood was (Mosholu Pkwy/Norwood/Bedford Park area). Then again there is zero nightlife in my old Bronx hoods. I still love the Bronx. Its my true home forever and ever. :)

Kisaya

Nice restaurants and shops but the people living there are definitely too like-minded, homogeneous droves of suburban types mingling only with each other, baby strollers and bratty kids everywhere. Makes you wonder... why even live in NYC?

Well yeah, but who cares? As a 23 year old I'm not going to be mingling with Park Slope soccer moms. Park Slope is just very accessible with the F/G/R lines and buses, makes commuting very easy to hang out and work anywhere.

*shrug* I grew up in Cobble Hill so I was used to just paying no mind to the young families that lived there (mine being one them except not living in a fancy brownstone like all the others).

I live alone in BK and love it, no way would I have it any other way

Mega

Banned
I care about that sort of thing tbh. I like diverse neighborhoods and relating to the people where I live... I'm not about schmoozing with my next door neighbors but I also get uneasy with feeling totally isolated in a neighborhood where everyone mainly looks and acts the same. Convenience is great tho... I wish my Bay Ridge neighborhood were 30 minutes closer to Manhattan, but then it would probably end up no different to Park Slope. I imagine worse in fact, since it's a lot prettier and greener.

Growing up in Cobble Hill you must've seen the rapid change firsthand as a kid. Must've been nuts to see your home turf morph so much and so fast!

Jhoan

I live alone in BK and love it, no way would I have it any other way

Holy crap! You must either have a really good paying job/work two jobs, live in a rent controlled apartment, or both because that's an anomaly not often seen but it is achievable. I only know one other acquaintance who lives alone and he shares your sentiment. Even then, people who live alone will have a pet of some sorts so they won't be lonely depending on their lifestyle. I mean wouldn't everyone like to have it that way in the end of the day?

Nearly every single girl I've gone out with has either lived in a dorm if a student or with roommates with the rare occasion where they live with parents. Only one girl I'd gone out with lived in a room in Staten Island but lived with both a dog and cat because she was studying to be a vet for her Masters. Most of my male friends live with family or roommates depending on their ethnicity/socioeconomic status.

Kisaya

I care about that sort of thing tbh. I like diverse neighborhoods and relating to the people where I live... I'm not about schmoozing with my next door neighbors but I also get uneasy with feeling totally isolated in a neighborhood where everyone mainly looks and acts the same. Convenience is great tho... I wish my Bay Ridge neighborhood were 30 minutes closer to Manhattan, but then it would probably end up no different to Park Slope. I imagine worse in fact, since it's a lot prettier and greener.

Growing up in Cobble Hill you must've seen the rapid change firsthand as a kid. Must've been nuts to see your home turf morph so much and so fast!

Yeah, I can understand that. For me I was just anxious being around too many non-native New Yorkers and it made me too uncomfortable. Bay Ridge is great though. Honestly would move there in a heartbeat.

And it was definitely crazy to see how much Cobble Hill changed, Court Street especially. I remember when that theater and the Barnes & Noble was an empty lot. Also when the YMCA was a multi story car park. Eventually my family felt too cramped in our little apartment so we moved to Red Hook when I turned 17. That area is even going to end up having a makeover as well I bet.

Oxn

Yeah, I can understand that. For me I was just anxious being around too many non-native New Yorkers and it made me too uncomfortable. Bay Ridge is great though. Honestly would move there in a heartbeat.

And it was definitely crazy to see how much Cobble Hill changed, Court Street especially. I remember when that theater and the Barnes & Noble was an empty lot. Also when the YMCA was a multi story car park. Eventually my family felt too cramped in our little apartment so we moved to Red Hook when I turned 17. That area is even going to end up having a makeover as well I bet.

Lol who wouldnt move to Bay Ridge. I got my eye on a 4million dollar house there.

Mega

Banned
I'd love to buy one of those little brick houses around Third Ave, Ridge Boulevard. Or a limestone. I'll just need to save up a couple hundred thousand for a nice downpayment. :(

It's a great neighborhood. Several big parks around the neighborhood, long jogging and biking path by the water, the pier, pretty low rents, places to eat, shop, get coffee and brunch, hang out, wide mix of people from all over. There is still a subtly unwelcoming element, Republican types alike to the Dyker and Staten Island types, but they're withering away. It is lacking in local art and live music, and the commute into Manhattan is a drag. But overall, a good place to live. Will it last? I dunno, rents are slowly creeping up and people priced out of Park Slope are trickling in.

My favorite little thing is how quiet it is in the morning at any time of the year. I love sleeping in on weekends and dealing with literally no noise in the warmer months.

Holy crap! You must either have a really good paying job/work two jobs, live in a rent controlled apartment, or both because that's an anomaly not often seen but it is achievable. I only know one other acquaintance who lives alone and he shares your sentiment. Even then, people who live alone will have a pet of some sorts so they won't be lonely depending on their lifestyle. I mean wouldn't everyone like to have it that way in the end of the day?

I got really lucky with my apartment, 1 bedroom in a brownstone, have my own personal patio even, going start grilling once it gets warmer. I have people come over a couple times a week, just today I had people at my place most of the afternoon and with work I'm with people all day so I like going back to my place alone. It also is just my personality I suppose. Like to have some tea, throw on a record and chill for the night most nights after work. Also, I like to keep things relatively clean and don't ever want to feel the need to tell someone to clean up.

and yes, everyone I know has a roommate, except one girl who scored this huge studio apartment a couple years ago doesn't ever want to leave it haha

Top Bottom