• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
That feeling when you had $20 bucks on a MetroCard that disappeared because you kept refilling it until it hit its expiration date.

I'm trying to conserve plastic but you make it so hard MTA.

Fuck these primitive ass things!

The fact it will be at least another 4-5 years before we have touch based entry, aka, what other cities have been doing for years, is everything wrong with bureaucracy

Kisaya

I'm not a fan of the touch based entry in Chicago. It's cool for a few minutes, but I've experienced a lot more errors in tapping the VentraCard than swiping/inserting a MetroCard.

I'm not a fan of the touch based entry in Chicago. It's cool for a few minutes, but I've experienced a lot more errors in tapping the VentraCard than swiping/inserting a MetroCard.

Never had an issue when using it continually in London and DC

Hardly ever see lines when there is heavy traffic because of the touch

Jhoan

My dad wants to turn my room into an office.

Damn! That's messed up and kind of selfish of your father to do that but then again,the joys of living with the folks is it's their rules unless you pay some rent and have a minor say. Can't you come to some sort of compromise? Surely there has to be some other way. You can always try to live alone but that would mean having to make an average of $130,000 or move to one of the top 15 gentrifying neighborhoods. If it's on short notice, they have to give you time to save up money. A lot of girls I've been speaking to/going with lately live in Astoria but that's because they work a 9-5. Another girl I'd gone out with lives in East Flatbush but is moving next month to another area.

Damn! That's messed up and kind of selfish of your father to do that but then again,the joys of living with the folks is it's their rules unless you pay some rent and have a minor say. Can't you come to some sort of compromise? Surely there has to be some other way. You can always try to live alone but that would mean having to make an average of $130,000 or move to one of the top 15 gentrifying neighborhoods. If it's on short notice, they have to give you time to save up money. A lot of girls I've been speaking to/going with lately live in Astoria but that's because they work a 9-5. Another girl I'd gone out with lives in East Flatbush but is moving next month to another area.
I pay rent and work a 9-5, pay is shit though. My dad's an uncompromisable idiot and the fact that it's so short notice means my girlfriend and I can't even look for a place because that doesn't give her enough time to save up money. Nor can I live with her and her parents cause I've already asked about that.

Jhoan

I pay rent and work a 9-5, pay is shit though. My dad's an uncompromisable idiot and the fact that it's so short notice means my girlfriend and I can't even look for a place because that doesn't give her enough time to save up money. Nor can I live with her and her parents cause I've already asked about that.

Damn, you're in a really tight spot. It sounds a bit like my father who's stubborn (I don't live with him). What does your mom think about it?

I can see why your girlfriend's parents would say no without thinking twice about it. I don't know much about moving out since I live with family myself while I figure myself out by doing internships, working on my art, and doing gigs.

Damn, you're in a really tight spot. It sounds a bit like my father who's stubborn (I don't live with him). What does your mom think about it?

I can see why your girlfriend's parents would say no without thinking twice about it. I don't know much about moving out since I live with family myself while I figure myself out by doing internships, working on my art, and doing gigs.
To be quite honest with you I don't even think my mother knows and I really just don't feel like discussing this crap with her, would just cause one giant ass argument for somebody and I quite honestly just want out if this is how I'm treated for being a good respectable son.

Xun

I should be going for a week in November (19th - 26th).

Having never been to NYC before, how is the Manhattan Financial District? There's a few decently priced hotels around there.

milkham

I should be going for a week in November (19th - 26th).

Having never been to NYC before, how is the Manhattan Financial District? There's a few decently priced hotels around there.

It is what it sounds like, very commercial, dead on the weekends crowded on weekdays, mostly restaurants that cater to office workers.
Keep google maps handy, financial district is kind of twisty and turny not the easy grid of streets you'll find to the north.

You've got big crowds near World Trade, Battery Park is really nice, you're near the ferries to the Statue of Liberty, Staten Island, and Governer's Island. The entrance to the Brooklyn Bridge is also down there and there's a nice view at South st seaport. If you wan't good food you'll mostly be going elsewhere but you'll have fairly easy access to the A, C, E, N, R and 4,5, 6 trains. Also note, if you want to actually ENTER the statue of liberty you have to make an appointment well in advance, like, look into it now and see how far in advance you need to book it. If seeing it is good enough you can opt to take the Staten Island ferry which is free and just gawk at it as you pass by and then take the ferry right back.

One thing I've noticed is that visitors are often not prepared to do a lot of walking. Bring some comfortable shoes.
I'd say take the subway more than taxi or uber, there's a whole world of sights, smells and panhandling you're gonna miss otherwise.
Opt for Rockefeller Center instead of Empire State building if you want to hit a skyscraper.

One week from today I'm going to live for 10 weeks at Columbia University working at a nearby museum as an intern. It's been 18 years since I last visited, despite being born in the area, so the culture shock will be strong coming from suburbs in the Deep South. I've done research on the transportation and a short list of things to do for my free time, but are there any guides on, you know, how to live in the Upper West Side? Best ways to get food, whether groceries or restaurants? How to have fun on a budget? I don't know if interns living at Columbia have perks like meal plans or library access. I can't wait for it!

Pau

One week from today I'm going to live for 10 weeks at Columbia University working at a nearby museum as an intern. It's been 18 years since I last visited, despite being born in the area, so the culture shock will be strong coming from suburbs in the Deep South. I've done research on the transportation and a short list of things to do for my free time, but are there any guides on, you know, how to live in the Upper West Side? Best ways to get food, whether groceries or restaurants? How to have fun on a budget? I don't know if interns living at Columbia have perks like meal plans or library access. I can't wait for it!
Congrats! Email them to ask about meal plans. Do you know if where you're staying has a kitchen? Do you need to bring pots, pans, dishes, etc?

I live on the other side of the park, but in my experience, groceries are always going to be cheaper (and healthier) than restaurants. The problem is taking the time to prepare, cook and then clean. Plus, every street you walk on will have a restaurant or cafe calling your attention. And if you're at home, Seamless or Delivery.com makes it too easy to order take out. But it really is better for your wallet to resist and try not to eat out for every meal.

As for having fun on a buget... depends on what you like to do honestly.

Kisaya

Which museum are you interning at? :)

Oxn

Last week i ran the entire circumference of Central park, and then some, cause i got lost inside the park and made a smaller circle somewhere on the north end.

My legs were sore for days, and my iphone said i did just under 20,000 steps, but the full day i did about 22,000 steps.

I share a kitchen but have to bring all my stuff. There's lots of food and shopping on Amsterdam and Broadway Streets so I hope they have what I like (I'm very picky and like "American" food - I'm used to shopping at Kroger). This area seems to prefer Asian food and delis.

Stuff I like and want to do - music/concerts, movies, museums, reading, just walking and sightseeing. On my list are the Moving Image and Intrepid for museums, the Rock and WTC for views, Bronx Zoo and Coney Island for fun, and two Broadway musicals I"m interested in. Bands I like tend to be playing in Brooklyn so it's a matter of saving money and figuring out the subway.

If you must know where I'll be working at it's the place with the dinosaurs. I'll have like 20-30 minutes after work at least 3 times a week to see everything it has before closing.

milkham

I share a kitchen but have to bring all my stuff. There's lots of food and shopping on Amsterdam and Broadway Streets so I hope they have what I like (I'm very picky and like "American" food - I'm used to shopping at Kroger). This area seems to prefer Asian food and delis.

Stuff I like and want to do - music/concerts, movies, museums, reading, just walking and sightseeing. On my list are the Moving Image and Intrepid for museums, the Rock and WTC for views, Bronx Zoo and Coney Island for fun, and two Broadway musicals I"m interested in. Bands I like tend to be playing in Brooklyn so it's a matter of saving money and figuring out the subway.

If you must know where I'll be working at it's the place with the dinosaurs. I'll have like 20-30 minutes after work at least 3 times a week to see everything it has before closing.

Right by the Intrepid you'll find the Circle Line, they have a 3 hour cruise around Manhattan, I enjoyed it but ymmv. One time I got a uh... tour guide? the guy on the PA on the ship who would run down history and stuff for each neighborhood we passed, i went on a second time and it was a younger guy who seemed more focused on where celebrities lived and it wasn't as interesting. I gotta say though, the northern end of Manhattan is pretty beautiful. Grew up here, lived here my whole life but had never been up there.

free movies
https://www.nycgovparks.org/events/free_summer_movies

Shakespeare in the park
http://publictheater.org/en/Free-Shakespeare-in-the-Park/

Metropolitan Opera
https://www.metopera.org/user-information/summer-recital-series/

Xun

It is what it sounds like, very commercial, dead on the weekends crowded on weekdays, mostly restaurants that cater to office workers.
Keep google maps handy, financial district is kind of twisty and turny not the easy grid of streets you'll find to the north.

You've got big crowds near World Trade, Battery Park is really nice, you're near the ferries to the Statue of Liberty, Staten Island, and Governer's Island. The entrance to the Brooklyn Bridge is also down there and there's a nice view at South st seaport. If you wan't good food you'll mostly be going elsewhere but you'll have fairly easy access to the A, C, E, N, R and 4,5, 6 trains. Also note, if you want to actually ENTER the statue of liberty you have to make an appointment well in advance, like, look into it now and see how far in advance you need to book it. If seeing it is good enough you can opt to take the Staten Island ferry which is free and just gawk at it as you pass by and then take the ferry right back.

One thing I've noticed is that visitors are often not prepared to do a lot of walking. Bring some comfortable shoes.
I'd say take the subway more than taxi or uber, there's a whole world of sights, smells and panhandling you're gonna miss otherwise.
Opt for Rockefeller Center instead of Empire State building if you want to hit a skyscraper.
Cheers for the comments!

I'm more than prepared for walking, but I was always planning on utilising subway as much as possible.

So I'm in a bit of a pickle. I have a new place that starts july but I don't have a place yet for june.

What are the best options for finding a room for 30 days. I don't really like airbnb but if I can't find something on facebook or craigslist I figure that's the best option

Penguin

So I'm in a bit of a pickle. I have a new place that starts july but I don't have a place yet for june.

What are the best options for finding a room for 30 days. I don't really like airbnb but if I can't find something on facebook or craigslist I figure that's the best option

You can try... Reddit

Or... hmm what groups do you use on FB?

honestly, i have no idea but maybe this https://www.couchsurfing.com/
or hostels.com

so story behind this move. I had a month to month subtennent thing going. Shit happened with one tennant. And I got a paper last week saying my land lord is ending the lease and I have to leave by june 30th.

I've never paid the landlord directly. and my roommate who was paying her is leaving june 1st. So I'm not sure what to do. IDK if I have a place for july if I need to pay her for june. I kinda just want to leave the situation since most of the others are finding other places. There was no written agreement

Jhoan

Fort Lee State Park is very underatted. Nice to have a park just across the GW. Check out the view of Manhattan!
VglI23J.jpg

On another note, if anyone is free for a small meetup either for this Friday or next Friday night. I am more than happy to entertain it since I'm usually down near the Chinatown area doing work for my internship and would be free after 4PM. St. Mark Barcade would be a good rendezvous point around 6PMish.I haven't sat down to properly plan the next big one.

Makai

I vote this Friday! I have a lot of quarters lying around from when I had to use a laundromat. Thry have Killer Queen, the 10 player arcade game, right?

Jhoan

Might be a change of plans since I'm working out plans for a date this Friday night so that will be delayed to next Friday, the beginning of June.

In the meantime, I'm going to focus on looking into ideas for the next meetup this weekend which as I mentioned before will either be in June or July. July is a bit murky because I'm debating whether or not to go the DR for about 2-4 weeks or stay in the city and do an internship over the summer and accomplish some goals I've put off for ages; namely getting my driver's license and finally attending Six Flags. Which, now that I think about it, Six Flags would be a damn good idea for a summer meet up.

That will be clearer in a few more weeks once I have a definitive answer. Otherwise, I'm heavily leaning towards June for either the weekend after my birthday/Father's Day weekend or the last weekend of June and the thread would be up by early next week. I have a Gwent set so that would be good to play. Hopefully GAF recovers after the E3 meltdown.

All that being said, I'm planning on attending the Tokyo Mirage Sessions demo event at Nintendo World/NY with my brother later today since I RSVP'ed for 2 tickets. There's definitely going to be a massive line no doubt. If anyone is going, I guess I'll see you there.

Might be a change of plans since I'm working out plans for a date this Friday night so that will be delayed to next Friday, the beginning of June.

In the meantime, I'm going to focus on looking into ideas for the next meetup this weekend which as I mentioned before will either be in June or July. July is a bit murky because I'm debating whether or not to go the DR for about 2-4 weeks or stay in the city and do an internship over the summer and accomplish some goals I've put off for ages; namely getting my driver's license and finally attending Six Flags. Which, now that I think about it, Six Flags would be a damn good idea for a summer meet up.

That will be clearer in a few more weeks once I have a definitive answer. Otherwise, I'm heavily leaning towards June for either the weekend after my birthday/Father's Day weekend or the last weekend of June and the thread would be up by early next week. I have a Gwent set so that would be good to play. Hopefully GAF recovers after the E3 meltdown.

All that being said, I'm planning on attending the Tokyo Mirage Sessions demo event at Nintendo World/NY with my brother later today since I RSVP'ed for 2 tickets. There's definitely going to be a massive line no doubt. If anyone is going, I guess I'll see you there.

I'd be down for next friday! And six flags would be killer. I want to make it out there to checkout the new joker ride. And I love kingda ka and el torro

Jhoan

Girl hasn't responded to my text and my boss hasn't emailed to me regarding if I'm going to be working downtown tomorrow. I'll know what the sitrep is by tonight. If I don't hear from the girl by tonight, then consider tomorrow's meetup a go. No lines at Nintendo NY since it was a ticketed thing so that's good.

Jhoan

The current sitrep is that I'm working from home from 11AM-2PM, then I need to run out and do some errands shortly afterwards and would be free after 5PM. I never heard back from the girl so I'm calling it a bust.

If anyone is still interested is in meeting up at St. Mark Barcade at 7PM tonight, let me know. Otherwise, next Friday is still fine. I'll check in periodically when I give myself a break.

@B-Dubs, I thought the Poli-GAF trio of you, Makai, and Metsfan is the crew that rolls together and stays together. I don't mind entertaining two back to back meetups over the summer.

Peltz

The current sitrep is that I'm working from home from 11AM-2PM, then I need to run out and do some errands shortly afterwards and would be free after 5PM. I never heard back from the girl so I'm calling it a bust.

If anyone is still interested is in meeting up at St. Mark Barcade at 7PM tonight, let me know. Otherwise, next Friday is still fine. I'll check in periodically when I give myself a break.

@B-Dubs, I thought the Poli-GAF trio of you, Makai, and Metsfan is the crew that rolls together and stays together. I don't mind entertaining two back to back meetups over the summer.
I'm down for barcade in St marks tonight

Top Bottom