• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Wowfunhappy - I'm being totally serious when I say this. You should check out public housing. Looks like you qualify. There's some really nice projects next to my apartment. They've got parks and they're near all the fun stuff in the neighborhood. Seem really safe. It's like a 20-30 minute train ride to your work.

I'll definitely apply, but I've heard that the chances of getting into these things are super slim.

I successfully negotiated a slightly higher salary of $42,000, btw, not that it helps all that much.

I'll definitely apply, but I've heard that the chances of getting into these things are super slim.

I successfully negotiated a slightly higher salary of $42,000, btw, not that it helps all that much.

Are you looking for your own place or with roommates?

Sorry if I missed a post. You should be able to live in a nice neighborhood close to manhattan with roommates with that You can get good rooms for under a grand even in places like Williamsburg/Park Slope/ Fort Green if your looking at Brooklyn, and pretty much all of queens with roommates is affordable with that.

I wouldn't go to public housing with that salary. Families don't make half that in those buildings.

Are you looking for your own place or with roommates?

Sorry if I missed a post. You should be able to live in a nice neighborhood close to manhattan with roommates with that You can get good rooms for under a grand even in places like Williamsburg/Park Slope/ Fort Green if your looking at Brooklyn, and pretty much all of queens with roommates is affordable with that.

I wouldn't go to public housing with that salary. Families don't make half that in those buildings.

Yeah, the thing is I don't want roommates if it's at all possible. That is what's making this tricky.

kyleokok

Neo Member
'sup.

Although we'll probably be moving as soon as the lease is up. That 2nd Ave subway isn't helping that rent increase any.

I'm waiting for that call from my landlord as well.

I've been sitting on my apartment for the last 5 years waiting for the subway to be completed...I work on the west side so the Q extension would literally half my commute. But I have a feeling I'll be forced to leave the day that extension is completed.

Jhoan

So if we don't go to the playstation experience (not really sure if I want to go) will there be another meetup beyond this?
Whatever GAF members end up showing up to that one means I'll be hanging out and shooting the breeze with them afterwards. That being said, I'm confirmed for the Union Square location.

But yeah, good question. I don't know to be frank. It all depends on everyone schedules as I add things as they come along on a day by day basis. If you guys can commit to a day and time this month post-E3, I'll consider doing something else this month possibly for Father's Day weekend since my birthday is that Sunday or the following weekend. Plans would be TBD. There will not be a big meetup this month that's for sure.

I signed up to volunteer for that event with my brother so thanks for the link!

Here's a list of stuff of stuff happening every day in the city after the 20th:

http://www.timeout.com/newyork/blog...rk-city-every-day-this-summer-053116#comments

Jhoan

This is my first summer in NYC, please tell me it's not this humid all summer
I'm not saying it's going to be humid but it's going to be humid. The buildings magnify the intensity of the heat making it feel worse. Real New Yorkers take the heat like a champ. You haven't lived until you survive a heat wave. Ideally the best summer weather in the city is low humidity but 80ish-90 degree weather.

On another note, I went inside The Little Red House underneath the GWB at Riverside Park on a date yesterday for the first time ever despite it being right by my me. It was surprising hot and humid when we entered it. Who knew lighthouses were saunas?

It was pretty damn cool. There was hole at the top of the lighthouse that folks had to crawl out through in order to get to the outer deck. The park rangers were giving a lecture on its history but my date and I didn't catch a lick of it being outside the entrance.

I didn't take any pictures but I will be back alone. I highly recommend checking it out. It's one of hell of a charming little gem that's severely underrated like many places in The Heights are.

CHC

you should check out curry-ya in the east village

They just opened another Curry-Ya uptown, on Amsterdam around 131st or something like that. Walking distance from my place, it is incredibly delicious. Can't wait until it's winter so I can eat it in the cold, definitely not the best meal to eat before walking out into like 90+ degree jungle weather.

This is my first summer in NYC, please tell me it's not this humid all summer

It's not THIS humid all summer. But New York summers are probably 60 - 70% humid hell, 30% hot, breezy, dry-ish. If you don't have an air conditioner I'm telling you... get one. Don't try to be a hero. You can survive but it just fucking sucks.

Makai

This is such a little thing but I still haven't acclimated to fast food cashiers asking "to stay or to go". I always hesitate because I'm expecting, "for here or to go."

Oxn

Nah i aint going, im already in bed.''but i checked their website, and the mainact they have is sold out (Galantis).

Kanye just booked the show. He wasn't even scheduled to appear. He just booked it last minute. And I'm trying to process my grief by letting all those NYC-Gaffers know. Line is already around the block apparently.

*sigh* This was the first time he was performing the new record, and he would have likely brought out most of the album's features and play that new Cruel Winter song live for the first time. I'm sorry for needlessly bumping your topic, but I need to vent at my enormous amount of bad luck.

So I need advice on a fuck up. And I dont want to do an advice thread

I am subletting a place for June till my new places is ready in july. There was an accident though and there is a pretty obvious damage to the sublet (carpet damage that needs a patch job). I don't want to try to repair it (DIY sites say its like a 30 buck repair.) but I don't know how to handle it with the guy I'm subletting it from.

I never paid a security deposit but I don't want to be a dick and at the same time I don't want to be out something that I could, if it was my place, fix myself.

I was thinking of just giving the guy some extra cash when I leave that covers a conservative repair estimate.

Jhoan

Kanye just booked the show. He wasn't even scheduled to appear. He just booked it last minute. And I'm trying to process my grief by letting all those NYC-Gaffers know. Line is already around the block apparently.

*sigh* This was the first time he was performing the new record, and he would have likely brought out most of the album's features and play that new Cruel Winter song live for the first time. I'm sorry for needlessly bumping your topic, but I need to vent at my enormous amount of bad luck.
I was just in Union Square eating Halal Guys and overheard a bunch of young folks talking about Webster Hall as I walked crosstown to the 1 train on 14th and 6th. Was hanging out in Astor Place earlier after coming from my boss' client's art show in Chinatown. Too bad I just got back to my nabe and nearing home. I'm indifferent to Kanye West/his music but I respect him.

I was just in Union Square eating Halal Guys and overheard a bunch of young folks talking about Webster Hall as I walked crosstown to the 1 train on 14th and 6th. Was hanging out in Astor Place earlier after coming from my boss' client's art show in Chinatown. Too bad I just got back to my nabe and nearing home. I'm indifferent to Kanye West/his music but I respect him.

That's quite a walk, so its completely understandable you'd skip. But, considering the line kinda turned into a mini-riot, you would have been wise to ditch the show. But, man, knowing Kanye's history with his live shows, it would have been nothing short of spectacular.

Jhoan

I'm there now...
Hahaha, NYPD keeping the peace as always. Have fun with that my friend! Nothing more fun than a bunch of rowdy teens at 2AM.
That's quite a walk, so its completely understandable you'd skip. But, considering the line kinda turned into a mini-riot, you would have been wise to ditch the show. But, man, knowing Kanye's history with his live shows, it would have been nothing short of spectacular.
It's nothing for me. I'm used to walking long distances in Manhattan that I don't mind. I've seen/heard plenty worse working at New York Comic Con the last 5 straight years.

So I need advice on a fuck up. And I dont want to do an advice thread

I am subletting a place for June till my new places is ready in july. There was an accident though and there is a pretty obvious damage to the sublet (carpet damage that needs a patch job). I don't want to try to repair it (DIY sites say its like a 30 buck repair.) but I don't know how to handle it with the guy I'm subletting it from.

I never paid a security deposit but I don't want to be a dick and at the same time I don't want to be out something that I could, if it was my place, fix myself.

I was thinking of just giving the guy some extra cash when I leave that covers a conservative repair estimate.

reupping this

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
New York State Pavilion is going to be lit up for the first time in decades Thursday night.

uSIWKcB.jpg

Jhoan

reupping this
Since it's getting overlooked, I don't know much about but my best advice would be to PM Penguin or entrement.
I figured out how to do those impossible parallel parks
You know someone is an out-of-towner when they drive a red Fiat.
And my job just asked me to photograph the Puerto Rican Day Parade fucking A!!!!!!
Nice! I rode on the CUNY float in 2011's Puerto Rican Parade and took a crap ton of pics which you can see here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsjuWcMK4

Have fun! From an artistic perspective, there's so much color so you're bound to get loads of great shots as well as intimate moments in the madness depending on what type of shots your job wants.

Bruce Springsteen said:
Loving this chilly day]
One of the best feelings in the world is coming out after the rain is dry to the cool aftermath. Yesterday afternoon/evening felt great. Love that fall-like breeze. Unfortunately (or fortunately depending on how you look at it), I have to be up 4AM tomorrow morning to go meet up with my boss for a promo shoot at this place which means I'll be riding a jetski around 7AM/8AM. Not looking forward to the morning chill. :(

Wanted to share a few things of late:

The New York Craft Beer Festival is next weekend. I'll be volunteering there once again so fun times await. Can't wait to pour some beers again.

A Citi Bike rider was tackled by cops after trying to pass through the Obama motorcade since the president was in town for a Jimmy Fallon skit. Video is here: https://www.instagram.com/p/BGaSn7pwHb-/

de Blasio recently told Kanye West that if he were to do block party in the city, it would have to be for the kids:

"Great block parties are planned," de Blasio tweeted to West and Kardashian, adding that he and his wife, Chirlane McCray, would be happy to throw one with him "to benefit NYC kids."

Every Tuesday, Wednesday, and Friday until the end of August, Bryant Park has a Game Social where folks can play board games between the hours of 6PM and 8PM:
https://www.nycgovparks.org/events/2016/07/08/game-social

Coney Island has free fireworks show every Friday night at sunset:
https://www.nycgovparks.org/events/2016/07/08/coney-island-friday-night-fireworks

And the Times Square is finally getting the designated areas as it's rolling out over the next few weeks. No link but I'll edit my post with it.

Nice! I rode on the CUNY float in 2011's Puerto Rican Parade and took a crap ton of pics which you can see here: https://flic.kr/s/aHsjuWcMK4

Have fun! From an artistic perspective, there's so much color so you're bound to get loads of great shots as well as intimate moments in the madness depending on what type of shots your job wants.
I wonder where the hell they're going to have me stationed. Also hoping I don't get mugged for my camera equipment.

Jhoan

Love how his comments is full of press trying to get permission for the video.

I work across the street from 30 Rock, it was pretty cool to see the motorcade roll up.
Maybe it was a bit too extreme to tackle him off the bike when they could have made a human barrier. But then again he wasn't stopping. Funny enough, I saw the video on NBC 4 so he did get it published on news networks.
why them?
Just trying to help you out because it's gone unresolved.
I wonder where the hell they're going to have me stationed. Also hoping I don't get mugged for my camera equipment.
I think you should be fine although it would help if your job provided you with a media badge so you could walk through the middle of the parade as opposed to through the crowds. If you're shooting from inside a building or high vantage point, that would probably be best.

I think you should be fine although it would help if your job provided you with a media badge so you could walk through the middle of the parade as opposed to through the crowds. If you're shooting from inside a building or high vantage point, that would probably be best.
My job sponsors the thing so yeah, I got a wristband to tell the cops that I'm supposed to be in it so they don't tap dance on my black ass. I believe I'm going to be walking around and on the float.

I don't even know why people have bigger cars. It seats four.
I wouldn't want to know what four fat ass Americans do to the power to weight ratio. It's a good car though, but I honestly think smaller cars are more of a European thing. They're catching on yes, but if you have a family I wouldn't throw 4 people into it personally. That's honestly just my personal opinion. It's a great commuter car though.

Jhoan

My job sponsors the thing so yeah, I got a wristband to tell the cops that I'm supposed to be in it so they don't tap dance on my black ass. I believe I'm going to be walking around and on the float.
That made me LOL. That's awesome! You're for sure going to have an easy time lugging the equipment around and should be able to get off the float to walk around when it slows down.

I meant, like are they good with advice like that? Don't know them as posters is all
I would think so since they're pretty familiar with moving around. It doesn't hurt to try and send them a PM.
Oh yeah? Big cities are the first place I'd think to find them. We like giant trucks and SUVs in the South.
Personally, I've never seen any Fiats in Washington Heights since they're not very common up here.. All I mostly see are vans, Honda Civics, SUVs, and sedans as well the occasional motorcycle. Heck, my middle bro and his wife drive a Mazda CX-9 I want to say. Maybe they're more common in DUMBO/Brooklyn since it depends on the neighborhood.

That made me LOL. That's awesome! You're for sure going to have an easy time lugging the equipment around and should be able to get off the float to walk around when it slows down.
I think I'm honestly more worried about figuring out what I'm going to eat and where I'm going to use the bathroom more than actually photographing the thing. I don't want to do anything outside of taking pictures really though. I don't want to put the float together, move tables or anything else. They can fuck off with that shit.

Oxn

I don't even know why people have bigger cars. It seats four.

Oh yeah? Big cities are the first place I'd think to find them. We like giant trucks and SUVs in the South.

in New York its mostly Sedans and Crossovers.

But yea, i would drive a Fiat or a Beetle. But i dont wanna pay for one, cause they arent cheaper than a normal sedan that fits more.

I know this is late, but a friend and I are attending the Playstation E3 Experience event tomorrow at Union Square. I saw a couple of other gaffers on the spreadsheet, is there a meetup plan?

Jhoan

I know this is late, but a friend and I are attending the Playstation E3 Experience event tomorrow at Union Square. I saw a couple of other gaffers on the spreadsheet, is there a meetup plan?
I didn't know you were from the city man! It's not too late at all. Where's the link to the Union Square spreadsheet? I'm planning on staying to record Shinogu's podcast after it's all said and done outside the theatre.

I'm going to be in the Union Square area around 5:30ish but have tentative plans to meet with my old English professor. Might can it with him to next week in favor of a pre-meetup rendezvous point.

Top Bottom