• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

yencid

went to east river state park yesterday and took a bunch of pictures but i have to share one in specific that i fell in love with.

tumblr_o7x5hldTjY1qbqhhuo1_1280.jpg

Jhoan

I swear this guy looks like an older version of Makai with a goatee and styled hair. It'd be funny if it WAS Makai after all.

Jhoan

LOL, I do occasionally wonder if I photographed a Gaffer before.

I would easily stand out in the wild that's for sure!

So it looks like there will be a second GAF meet up in June after all....at the Playstation E3 Experience.

There is a thread on the Gaming side as per usual but I'm going to be taking a head count of who's going in this thread. I'm planning to RSVP for the Union Square location even though I'm much closer to the Times Square location. We can probably meet up at middle point but personally, I'm spearheading the aforementioned location.

Sign up doesn't start until tomorrow at 1PM EST so here's the link: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/05/30/playstation-e3-experience-2016-announced/

And as for Friday's small meetup, I'm still on board with it but will let you guys know if anything changes circa Wednesday since I hope to give a definitive answer by then. .

BkMogul

^^^ Thanks for pointing me to this thread. Hope to get a ticket for Union Square and meet up with some people. First-timer here so please don't bite. ;)

ruxtpin

Banned
NYC gaffers, I finally visited Manhattan! Recently moved from Atlanta (home for nearly 25 years) up to Conshohocken, PA. The missus and I took Amtrak to Penn Station and hit up some stuff over the Memorial Day weekend. I didn't realize Times Square was tourist central, but I guess it makes sense. Visited the top of of the Rock, 9/11 Memorial and Museum (didn't leave with a dry eye), caught a play that had Mance Rayder in it, ate some good food, and walked a lot. I'll never be a city boy, but I look forward to a return trip and hitting up the art museums.

I also realize the NYC marathon is huge and I'm a big runner, but I don't have the time to train for a full with my work schedule - but does NYC host any big smaller runs/races (halfs, 10ks, etc)?

NYC gaffers, I finally visited Manhattan! Recently moved from Atlanta (home for nearly 25 years) up to Conshohocken, PA. The missus and I took Amtrak to Penn Station and hit up some stuff over the Memorial Day weekend. I didn't realize Times Square was tourist central, but I guess it makes sense. Visited the top of of the Rock, 9/11 Memorial and Museum (didn't leave with a dry eye), caught a play that had Mance Rayder in it, ate some good food, and walked a lot. I'll never be a city boy, but I look forward to a return trip and hitting up the art museums.

I also realize the NYC marathon is huge and I'm a big runner, but I don't have the time to train for a full with my work schedule - but does NYC host any big smaller runs/races (halfs, 10ks, etc)?
I fucking hate Times Square. Next time you're in NYC hit up the East Village or something.

kyleokok

Neo Member
I'll probably do Union Square again for the E3 Experience. Crowd has been pretty solid/respectful and it's within steps of the Forbidden Planet for some post-theater collectibles shopping.

I'd like to hear people's experiences with the Times Square showings, though.

Jhoan

^^^ Thanks for pointing me to this thread. Hope to get a ticket for Union Square and meet up with some people. First-timer here so please don't bite. ;)
My pleasure! I think more NYC GAF members who post solely on that side need to step out of the Gaming side and into OT since that's where the real GAF is. I lurk in both sides equally still but find myself subscribing to more OT/OT-Community threads and post there more. Since we're in OT-Community, this thread will occasionally dry up with no posts although I always read new posts and will occasionally bump it with news around the city happening.

Oh man all you have to do is watch how slow tourists move with their selfie sticks and DSLRs versus how fast New Yorkers are trying to get around a massive mob of them to understand why we loathe walking around the Times Square area. I swear, several blocks in that area need to have sidewalks with lanes for tourists and lanes for New Yorkers.

Solid list of stuff that you guys visited. I'm surprised you didn't fit in the Statue of Liberty. If you guys into art museums, I would recommend going to MoMA in the morning on any day but Friday and Fort Tryon Park/The Cloisters for a nice view of the Hudson and the largest Medieval art collection. But the best thing to do is pick a neighborhood and walk around e.g. Chinatown.

As for other races, the city has plenty of smaller ones throughout the year. Here's a few solid lists:

https://nycruns.com/races/
http://www.nyrr.org/races-and-events/2016

I'll probably do Union Square again for the E3 Experience. Crowd has been pretty solid/respectful and it's within steps of the Forbidden Planet for some post-theater collectibles shopping.

I'd like to hear people's experiences with the Times Square showings, though.
I've done Union Square for the past two years myself and have never had a bad time; shout out to running into and hanging out with ginger ninja the first year. There's something about those Times Square theatres that irk me that Union Square avoids. I want to say it's the fact that there's no tables of people selling stuff clogging up half of the sidewalk space and not as many tourists. Plus one of those two Times Sqaure theatres had bed bugs a few years ago so that makes me paranoid.

Last year I stayed and recorded an episode of Shinogu's podcast with a few other GAF members including DoktorEvil (perma banned), Shadow780 and MattsLegacy after it was all said and done. It was fun and man was I off the mark about so many things but I correctly predicted that David Cage's canned Kara project would be shown again since it would be reborn as Detroit: Become Human.

Jhoan

Gah... looks like I'm headed to Miami this week, so I won't be able to make it :(

When is this six flags meetup?
TBD Summer. It seems like I'm not going to be leaving town next month because I'm still undecided so possibly for next month or late this month.

Makai

I had to move my car today for alternate side parking but a SEMI TRUCK was double parked in front of my car. But eventually he moved and I found a new spot like 20 feet away because parking is everywhere in Dumbo. 8)

Getting rid of my garage and moving my car once a week.

I would easily stand out in the wild that's for sure!

So it looks like there will be a second GAF meet up in June after all....at the Playstation E3 Experience.

There is a thread on the Gaming side as per usual but I'm going to be taking a head count of who's going in this thread. I'm planning to RSVP for the Union Square location even though I'm much closer to the Times Square location. We can probably meet up at middle point but personally, I'm spearheading the aforementioned location.

Sign up doesn't start until tomorrow at 1PM EST so here's the link: http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/05/30/playstation-e3-experience-2016-announced/

And as for Friday's small meetup, I'm still on board with it but will let you guys know if anything changes circa Wednesday since I hope to give a definitive answer by then. .

So if we don't go to the playstation experience (not really sure if I want to go) will there be another meetup beyond this?

I had to move my car today for alternate side parking but a SEMI TRUCK was double parked in front of my car. But eventually he moved and I found a new spot like 20 feet away because parking is everywhere in Dumbo. 8)

Getting rid of my garage and moving my car once a week.

You live in dumbo? getting that software money I see. I had a car when I lived in greenwood heights. Was moving it all the time then just decided to park it under the gowanus. Only had to move it saturdays

Makai

You live in dumbo? getting that software money I see.
$1,100 for a room in a two bedroom. It's a semi-luxury apartment with a doorman, but I guess I got a great deal because it's right next to public housing.

Also they asked for $5,600 deposit but I negotiated it down to $200. 8)

$1,100 for a room in a two bedroom. It's a semi-luxury apartment with a doorman, but I guess I got a great deal because it's right next to public housing.

damn good price.

wtf at the deposit though

And my dad wonders why I haven't moved yet..yeesh.

Penguin

So if we don't go to the playstation experience (not really sure if I want to go) will there be another meetup beyond this?

You live in dumbo? getting that software money I see. I had a car when I lived in greenwood heights. Was moving it all the time then just decided to park it under the gowanus. Only had to move it saturdays

Speaking of living situations, did you work out your plan for the month?

good price for brooklyn.

i need ample parking in the area so i'm staying in NJ. they're building some luxury mall and restaurants right in front of my place in Fort Lee. if traffic get really bad i'm going to move.

Hey guys! I just graduated from college a couple weeks ago, and I got a job offer at a place in Manhattan, right near Penn Station. They offered me $38,000 a year, and while I intend to negotiate salary, I'm almost certainly going to take it—I like this job a lot.

I do not have a car and I never got my drivers license. I'm single, and I don't mind living in a small space—I spent the past three and a half years living in a single dorm room, and honestly I think I function better in a small space, as it keeps me organized—but I really don't want to have a roommate. My parents will help me get started on financing a place, but obviously I'd like to be able to support myself as much as I can. What are moderately inexpensive places to live where I could get to Penn Station fairly easily?

Hey guys! I just graduated from college a couple weeks ago, and I got a job offer at a place in Manhattan, right near Penn Station. They offered me $38,000 a year, and while I intend to negotiate salary, I'm almost certainly going to take it—I like this job a lot.

I do not have a car and I never got my drivers license. I'm single, and I don't mind living in a small space—I spent the past three and a half years living in a single dorm room, and honestly I think I function better in a small space, as it keeps me organized—but I really don't want to have a roommate. My parents will help me get started on financing a place, but obviously I'd like to be able to support myself as much as I can. What are moderately inexpensive places to live where I could get to Penn Station fairly easily?
Dude, 38K a month is not a lot of money, you're going to have roommates.

Yeah, if you want to live in Manhattan, you're going to at least need a roommate or two. I work about a block from Penn Station, and the cheapest areas of the city that are within half an hour commute are probably the Upper East Side (where I also live) and Financial District. You really won't find anything cheaper than $2300 for a one bedroom, though, hence why you'll need a roommate and potentially a guarantor.

Yeah, I realize that living in Manhattan without a roommate is pretty much impossible. I was wondering if there were any places not in NYC that would be a relatively easy commute into Penn Station (but be cheaper).

Yeah, I realize that living in Manhattan without a roommate is pretty much impossible. I was wondering if there were any places not in NYC that would be a relatively easy commute into Penn Station (but be cheaper).
Forest Hills and Kew Gardens Queens aren't too bad, still expensive. As long as you get a transfer train at Times Square or around that area it's easy enough getting to Penn Station, now cheap is just flat out tricky cause some neighborhoods can just get down right crummy.

Forest Hills and Kew Gardens Queens aren't too bad, still expensive. As long as you get a transfer train at Times Square or around that area it's easy enough getting to Penn Station, now cheap is just flat out tricky cause some neighborhoods can just get down right crummy.

Thank you, looking those up, they look like they could actually work! :)

Oxn

To get cheap you will need to rent one of those illegal basements from a chinese family in brooklyn. Cost about a grand.

But even on a 38k salary that is stretching it.

I mean, I'm seeing listings in Kew Gardens for just over a grand. No idea if they're any good but then I'm not picky. It looks like it could be doable.

The other option is to just keep living with my parents in New Jersey, for free. But that would mean a total of four hours each day spent riding the train.

I mean, I'm seeing listings in Kew Gardens for just over a grand. No idea if they're any good but then I'm not picky. It looks like it could be doable.

The other option is to just keep living with my parents in New Jersey, for free. But that would mean a total of four hours each day spent riding the train.

What spots in queens are decent in price? I am thinking of moving to queens eventually.

Oxn

Not worth it for 38k. Need 6 figures for 4hour commute to be worth it.

Makai

Just get a place in The Bronx and take the subway to work. Probably like an hour commute but you can play games on your phone or whatever. I found some pretty cheap places when I was looking.

Well if you see anything you want to get let me know I'm in need of a roommate, not even lying.

kyleokok

Neo Member
Yeah, if you want to live in Manhattan, you're going to at least need a roommate or two. I work about a block from Penn Station, and the cheapest areas of the city that are within half an hour commute are probably the Upper East Side (where I also live) and Financial District. You really won't find anything cheaper than $2300 for a one bedroom, though, hence why you'll need a roommate and potentially a guarantor.

...There's another GAF member on the UES besides me?

Zona

Kew Gardens also has a LIRR stop that will take you directly into Penn, but it's not a line that runs often. That and you'd need to buy both a monthly Metrocard and LIRR pass if you plan on using the subway often*.

*You should.

Kew Gardens also has a LIRR stop that will take you directly into Penn, but it's not a line that runs often. That and you'd need to buy both a monthly Metrocard and LIRR pass if you plan on using the subway often*.

*You should.
Doesn't the E stop through Kew Gardens though? I know it stops through certain parts of Forest Hills, I think there are subway lines or bus transfer that he could use that don't require using an LIRR train.

Makai

Wowfunhappy - I'm being totally serious when I say this. You should check out public housing. Looks like you qualify. There's some really nice projects next to my apartment. They've got parks and they're near all the fun stuff in the neighborhood. Seem really safe. It's like a 20-30 minute train ride to your work.

Top Bottom