• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

I didn't know you were from the city man! It's not too late at all. Where's the link to the Union Square spreadsheet? I'm planning on staying to record Shinogu's podcast after it's all said and done outside the theatre.

I'm going to be in the Union Square area around 5:30ish but have tentative plans to meet with my old English professor. Might can it with him to next week in favor of a pre-meetup rendezvous point.

Here's the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...f0DNl0jb8rV_w/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=287305130

Not sure when we'll arrive, but it'll probably have to be after 5:30.

Here's one pic...
13392157_10155053654702195_3479242759956013447_o.jpg

Jhoan

Here's the link: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...f0DNl0jb8rV_w/edit?pref=2&pli=1#gid=287305130

Not sure when we'll arrive, but it'll probably have to be after 5:30.
Thanks! It seems like a small group so far. I texted my professor and let him know that I'm rain checking it. I'll post an update in this thread once I'm in the area along with a picture. I'll also be posting live updates on Twitter. I'll wear a red GAF shirt today with the dinosaurs on it or a gray one with the GAF logo bursting out of it.

Going to check what the sitrep is on the E3 Experience thread itself to see if I round up other folks on the pre-meetup.
This sounds like code for getting drunk.
Here's one pic...
Now that one has got a story. Very fascinating pose.

Speaking of pics, I went to a Native American music festival at Inwood Park yesterday. It was cool. I took some pictures which I'll edit it into this post later since I'm slacking off from work at the moment. I later went to a free concert at United Palace which was cool since it was a Dominican folk music performer.

Bah. Work issue right as I was about to leave for the theater and I ended up missing the beginning of the conference too. Well that messed with my night.

So how was the crowd at Union Square? They hand out some nice free stuff afterwards?

Jhoan

Bah. Work issue right as I was about to leave for the theater and I ended up missing the beginning of the conference too. Well that messed with my night.

So how was the crowd at Union Square? They hand out some nice free stuff afterwards?

It was pretty solid if a bit disorganized this year. There were people that got wait listed that were there since 11AM! People kept gradually trickling into the theatre well into after the event started; my brother missed the first several minutes. In the end, everyone got in. My only other gripe was that I got a sense of hostility from a few folks. I ended up sketching a few people on the line to entertain myself.

As for swag, they gave away a collectible Sony E3 Experience drinking cup that says "I was there," a poster that has the Sony E3 Experience 2016 logo on it, and a collectible Sony E3 Playstation E3 Experience card in addition to the usual digital code with a bunch of goodies in it that need to be redeemed before they expire.

EDIT: A quick side note: This weekend's New York Craft Beer Festival is low on bodies. If anyone is interested or knows anyone who would be interested in volunteering, here's the link: http://newyork.onebrick.org/calendar

Hey NY GAF.

I'm kind of sick of brooklyn. My roommate is moving in with his girlfriend and is leaving me with an expensive place in Greenpoint that I either need to fill or vacate. As this is my eighth time moving in five years: I'm about ready to just get a 1br to myself in Woodside or Sunnyside. Any gaffers there? How is it there?

Alternatively, if anyone here knows someone looking for a place in greenpoint... :eek:

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
¡HarlequinPanic!;207328816 said:
Hey NY GAF.

I'm kind of sick of brooklyn. My roommate is moving in with his girlfriend and is leaving me with an expensive place in Greenpoint that I either need to fill or vacate. As this is my eighth time moving in five years: I'm about ready to just get a 1br to myself in Woodside or Sunnyside. Any gaffers there? How is it there?

Alternatively, if anyone here knows someone looking for a place in greenpoint... :eek:

I loved Sunnyside when I lived there. Food and groceries were cheap, library had no competition in regards to movie selection, with the exception of a few streets the neighborhood was dead quiet and safe. Easy access to Japanese, Thai and Indian grocery stores as well as a bus away from Target. Worked great as a hub to get into Manhattan or Brooklyn. Sunnyside has the best Turkish food and worst Chinese food I've had in the city.

I would probably still be there but my apartment's roof fell a few times and there was a ridiculous mice problem. The 7 train also gave a ton of issues resulting in the use of the bus, which back then didn't have GPS you could monitor via an app. My mail would also get stolen and I had to switch to using Amazon Lockers and mail to my office. Ultimately ended up moving to be closer to my job.

I think it's the perfect place price-wise for a 1br apartment in NYC.

¡HarlequinPanic!;207328816 said:
Hey NY GAF.

what's your budget?

what's your budget?

I'm hoping 1600. Can begrudgingly do 1800. Both of these are insane but they are better than a cheaper place that requires a 300 dollar LIRR ticket or metro north ticket. Debating if I should roll the dice with roomies again, I travel a lot for work and could use someone I trust to feed my cat. But most of the time roomies haven't worked out for me so.

Kanik, good to know! I'm gonna spend some time in sunny and woodside this weekend and see how I like the place. I don't go out all the time so I don't mind finally going somewhere a little less hip.

Sad to hear about the chinese. I love take out.

¡HarlequinPanic!;207367336 said:
I'm hoping 1600. Can begrudgingly do 1800. Both of these are insane but they are better than a cheaper place that requires a 300 dollar LIRR ticket or metro north ticket. Debating if I should roll the dice with roomies again, I travel a lot for work and could use someone I trust to feed my cat. But most of the time roomies haven't worked out for me so.

Kanik, good to know! I'm gonna spend some time in sunny and woodside this weekend and see how I like the place. I don't go out all the time so I don't mind finally going somewhere a little less hip.

Sad to hear about the chinese. I love take out.
PM me if you need a roommate, seriously.

jasonng

Just witness someone getting his head stuck between the platform and the E train on 14th st. Everyone is hysterical and I didn't stick around to see what happened. Don't imagine he's alive.

All I could think about is getting to work. There's already a crowd and mta employees were running around frantically. I still feel guilty for just walking away.

I really wish I didn't looked.

Pau

Just witness someone getting his head stuck between the platform and the E train on 14th st. Everyone is hysterical and I didn't stick around to see what happened. Don't imagine he's alive.

All I could think about is getting to work. There's already a crowd and mta employees were running around frantically. I still feel guilty for just walking away.

What the hell? I think I just felt my stomach drop just reading that. I can't imagine seeing it or... ugh.

Sorry you had to see that. I would feel bad. Let professionals take care of that you could have made it worse.

How the heck did his head get there? Suicide?

jasonng

I literally only got a glimpse. I walked down the steps saw it and immediately turned around.

I'm running so many scenarios in my mind on how it is possible to get his head stuck in there. Every moment I get I'm looking all over twitter to get any updates. I hope I'm wrong.

Shanlei91

Would probably be on the news if something happened.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...train-day-3rd-subway-injury-article-1.2677146

Rescuers scrambled to save a woman whose legs were severed by a subway train in the West Village Thursday — just minutes after a man was hit by a train a block away.

The woman was struck by a southbound 3 train at the 14th St. and Seventh Ave. station at about 10:40 p.m., police said. She was taken to Bellevue Hospital in serious condition, officials said.

Though it was was probably this:
About 25 minutes earlier, a 23-year-old man jumped from an E train platform at 14th St. and Eighth Ave.

my brooklyn tech teacher saw something similar on the way to work.

he tried jumping the tracks and fell down in between subway cars on the way to work, a lady tried to do the same but fell on top of him. he pushed her off and climbed back up onto the platform but the train started moving and severed the lady's leg before the train was able to stop again.

He was so traumatized he couldn't teach our class.

Been in a train that clobbered a car trying to run the rails but thankfully never seen anything on the subway. It's always a paranoid fear of mine that someone would push me onto the tracks though so I'm always kind of uneasy on those ultra narrow platforms (or the platform in times square where I need to walk down narrow parts all on the yellow cause stairs going down to the 7 are there).

¡HarlequinPanic!;207461620 said:
Been in a train that clobbered a car trying to run the rails but thankfully never seen anything on the subway. It's always a paranoid fear of mine that someone would push me onto the tracks though so I'm always kind of uneasy on those ultra narrow platforms (or the platform in times square where I need to walk down narrow parts all on the yellow cause stairs going down to the 7 are there).

After that one summer where a few people got pushed in front of trains I've always been paranoid of people around me when the train comes.

Hey NYC GAF my family is taking a trip to the city next week is there any must sees, restaurants, or experiences you all would recommend? We are staying close to times square.

Pau

I've only ever seen a guy slip and fall between the gap when the train was in the station, but luckily people were able to get the conductors attention and pull him out.

Hey NYC GAF my family is taking a trip to the city next week is there any must sees, restaurants, or experiences you all would recommend? We are staying close to times square.
What kind of food do you like?

I've only ever seen a guy slip and fall between the gap when the train was in the station, but luckily people were able to get the conductors attention and pull him out.
that's exactly what happened to my high school teacher. plp used to jump off the train onto the platform between cars when it was crowded at the station back in the days.

i'm taking a group of 10 college and post grad students to Mystery Room NYC then we're hitting bareburger on Sat, if there's one near you try it!

if you're in timesquare and like ramen

52nd and 9th Totto Ramen is good =)

53rd and 6th try the chicken and rice plate at the halal guys stands

What kind of food do you like?

Seeing this post without the quote in the middle sure is something.

Mega

Banned
Bare Burger is awesome!

Would probably be on the news if something happened.

Freak accidents, yeah, but this stuff doesn't always make the news if it's like a natural death or a "common" suicide (common as in quantity, not trying to be insensitive). I read about how conductors say they're haunted by the many suicides they see throughout their careers. Announcements are usually specific about track fire, signal problems, etc. I assume that when our train is stalled and we get the vague "police investigation" announcement, someone died one way or the other.

http://www.ibtimes.com/mta-worker-goes-underground-share-subway-secrets-reddit-top-10-reveals-324984

1. Sick passenger is code for dead customer ON the train

But.....Often times it actually IS a sick passenger though - sick usually refers to some kind of bodily injury, rather than someone puking or passing out, and the delays are mainly from the MTA doing an investigation to cover their asses when that customer eventually files a lawsuit.

3. Subway suicides happen more often than you think -- like twice a week.

When asked how often people commit suicide by jumping onto the track, fusoyaff2 wrote:

It happened 136 times in 2010 (statistic includes accidental deaths). So about twice a week. It hasn't happened on one of my trains yet, but I did witness it happen on a train right across from mine.

(fusoyaff has been working as an MTA conductor since 2009).

Incidentally, 'Police investigation' is the code for a suicide by train. Service will be disrupted for about a half hour, usually. I've seen it mess up things for as long as 3 hours though.

Bare Burger is awesome!

Freak accidents, yeah, but this stuff doesn't always make the news if it's like a natural death or a "common" suicide (common as in quantity, not trying to be insensitive). I read about how conductors say they're haunted by the many suicides they see throughout their careers. Announcements are usually specific about track fire, signal problems, etc. I assume that when our train is stalled and we get the vague "police investigation" announcement, someone died one way or the other.

http://www.ibtimes.com/mta-worker-goes-underground-share-subway-secrets-reddit-top-10-reveals-324984

This link really makes me want to see the City Hall station.

Shanlei91

After that one summer where a few people got pushed in front of trains I've always been paranoid of people around me when the train comes.

That story made me paranoid too - now I check my surroundings as the train pulls in. All it takes is one deranged person shoving people.

Lulubop

I've lived in the city my entire life and thankfully I've never seen anything crazy happen down in the subway. Like not even a fist fight

Jhoan

For non-New Yorkers not familiar with it, this is the third rail of death. It's usually the rail that's closest to the middle and has a metallic sheen:

subway-track.gif

6. Subway conductors want you to say hello! But don't overstay your welcome.

It really does make my day when customers say thank you, or smile or wave... Nothing wrong with saying thanks, but if you have a question PLEASE just get to the point (that goes for anyone asking anyone anything in NYC). And there's no need to start the question with 'sorry to bother you, but....' because that's part of our job.

Oh, and one more thing -- if you see me making an announcement, wait until I finish before you start asking the question. You aren't my only customer, and I never close the doors if I have people standing right outside my window.
Once in a while, I get the urge to thank conductors since I always thank the bus drivers and elevator operators but the window of opportunity is so small to do it and I'm usually focused on trying to get out of the train. I think once or twice I gave a thumbs up to a conductor.

10. Conductors have strict rules governing what they can and cannot say over the PA system.

One redditor waxed nostalgic about a subway ride back in 1996 when the conductor gave passengers live updates of the Yankees vs. Braves World Series Game.

This is fusoyaff2's response:

Yeah see, they don't let us do stuff like that. We're actually conditioned to not even say things like good morning or have a great weekend on the PA, because we might offend someone having a crappy day. Doing baseball updates on the PA could just rile up Red Sox or Mets fans, or annoy people who don't care about baseball.

You never know who is riding your train, so the less you say, the more likely you are to stay out of trouble....
I remember a few years ago, whenever I would ride the A train home, there was a conductor who expressed his personality since he would always say "Stand of the closing doors playa" and once or twice he commented on a baseball game and/or a basketball. The people in the car smiled more than anything else. On a few other occasions, conductors will gave random facts about the station but it doesn't happen all that much. I think the MTA caught wind of it because I never heard that conductor again. But I see his point and it's fair.

Gotta get ready to head out to volunteer for the NY Craft Beer Festival. I wonder how it'll manage with less bodies than anticipated but it should be fun either way. I anticipate a lot of running around with the Volunteer Coordinator and manning multiple stations. If anyone is planning on stopping by tonight, feel free to say hello if I end up serving you/bag checking your stuff.

Lulubop

When I was elementary school some mta dudes came by and did a talk to the entire on train safety and scare the shit out if us. Horror stories about kids putting marbles on the track and having it ricochet back through their head by an oncoming train. How dangerous the third rail was and how you'd be fucked if any part of you touched it. Good times

If you want to enjoy actual New York City then get out of fucking Times Square. I work there, it's shit.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
The Met has a couple of good exhibits up now, namely Pergamon and ManusXMachina.

GiJoccin

what's wrong? Times square is awesome! I am guessing you will say the amount of people in the way.

no way dude, it's so fake, in no way shape or form representative of anything really New York. it's completely a tourist trap. it's just bright lights and con artists dressed poorly in costumes trying to con a few bucks, so i guess if that's your thing, then go...

Mega

Banned
Times Square may be a tourist trap, but it has a seedy element that has returned (or has always been there) in the form of the sketchy people in crappy costumes, the topless girls and controversy, religious zealots and all sorts of weird shady characters if you stop and really look. There are hordes of tourists, but the sheer mix of people from fucking everywhere is intriguing. And there's something amusing with some mom and pop lugging a freakin' Canon 1D with a big L lens to take mundane photos. It's so kitschy and over the top that really, why the hell not? Every newcomer should go at least once. Of course no one's suggesting an entire visit be spent there but I don't see the sense in telling people to completely avoid it. It's undeniably a unique part of NYC.

It's popular to hate on Times Square because it's not "authentic" NY. But really, what's so much more authentic and better about other Manhattan (and now Brooklyn) neighborhoods? Many lost their original identities, enclaves, cuisines, middle class residents and family-owned small businesses decades ago. They cater primarily to their rich residents... an old-timer will tell you how sterile and same-y much of the island has become, like a repeating template, like the city version of suburban sprawl. Whether because of the homogeneous demographics, the chains all over like Starbucks, Chipotle, Pret, Hale & Hearty... the typical organic shops, boutique and high end retail, upscale gyms, expensive restaurants, and much of the nightlife catering to a specific kind of New Yorker.

By the way, it's not perfect but I generally do like Manhattan. I just don't see the sense in singling out Times Square as bad and unoriginal when much of the same can be said for what whole sections of the city became post 1990s.

Jhoan

what's wrong? Times square is awesome! I am guessing you will say the amount of people in the way.
Not sure if serious or if trolling. Tourist haven and costumed character hell hole. The amount of people and selfie sticks takes the cake. Prefer Union Square over it since it's spread out.

EDIT: sketchy Times Square has got its charms for sure. Old ass porn shops and stores along 8th Avenue. That alone is fine.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Getting sick of tourists standing in your way with their selfie sticks is part of the Authentic NYC Experience™ imo.

Times Square may be a tourist trap, but it has a seedy element that has returned (or has always been there) in the form of the sketchy people in crappy costumes, the topless girls and controversy, religious zealots and all sorts of weird shady characters if you stop and really look. There are hordes of tourists, but the sheer mix of people from fucking everywhere is intriguing. And there's something amusing with some mom and pop lugging a freakin' Canon 1D with a big L lens to take mundane photos. It's so kitschy and over the top that really, why the hell not? Every newcomer should go at least once. Of course no one's suggesting an entire visit be spent there but I don't see the sense in telling people to completely avoid it. It's undeniably a unique part of NYC.

It's popular to hate on Times Square because it's not "authentic" NY. But really, what's so much more authentic and better about other Manhattan (and now Brooklyn) neighborhoods? Many lost their original identities, enclaves, cuisines, middle class residents and family-owned small businesses decades ago. They cater primarily to their rich residents... an old-timer will tell you how sterile and same-y much of the island has become, like a repeating template, like the city version of suburban sprawl. Whether because of the homogeneous demographics, the chains all over like Starbucks, Chipotle, Pret, Hale & Hearty... the typical organic shops, boutique and high end retail, upscale gyms, expensive restaurants, and much of the nightlife catering to a specific kind of New Yorker.

By the way, it's not perfect but I generally do like Manhattan. I just don't see the sense in singling out Times Square as bad and unoriginal when much of the same can be said for what whole sections of the city became post 1990s.
Don't get me wrong it's part of the first NYC experience, but I'm there so often I'm just burnt out on it. PS. Pret's oatmeal is horrible. Shit tastes like vaseline.

Top Bottom