• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Wellington

BAAAALLLINNN'
Broadway Lafayette up to union square is a nice place to roam around.

I work in the area, from Broadway east into the East Village and Alphabet City is quickly getting to be my favorite part of NYC. So many awesome awesome places. Dude last Friday alone I got off work, went to Yuca Bar for some drinks and a bite to eat at happy hour, slammed down some oysters and an old fashioned at Upstate, and then went to Death and Co which is a great speakeasy after we saw there was a 2 hr wait for PDT. This area is so fucking vibrant it's amazing. Actually the last GAF meetup was at West 3rd Common off of 3rd and B'Way - another good bar here.

If you want to enjoy actual New York City then get out of fucking Times Square. I work there, it's shit.

This you?

hWJy0cJ.jpg

Hey NYC GAF my family is taking a trip to the city next week is there any must sees, restaurants, or experiences you all would recommend? We are staying close to times square.

Do you have Netflix? If so I recommend watching the episode of The Layover with Anthony Bourdain about New York, it was really awesome and will clue you in to some NYC locales that are less touristy but really good.

Jhoan

Kind of last minute but I have an extra ticket for the New York Craft Beer Festival since I think my bro is going to bail. It's will call only. If anyone is interested in going, shoot me a PM ASAP, and either show up to the Lexington Armory for the 1PM shift or the 7PM shift (get there an hour early). Be advised that it's best to for the afternoon session since tasting glasses will run out by the second session this time around. You'll get a VIP ticket which is on the same floor this time around (much better methinks).

Also on another note, the annual Mermaid Parade is happening as I type this post so if anyone is going or went to that, it would be cool to some pics. Had the opportunity to volunteer there but totally forgot about it once I saw the beer festival.

Kind of last minute but I have an extra ticket for the New York Craft Beer Festival since I think my bro is going to bail. It's will call only. If anyone is interested in going, shoot me a PM ASAP, and either show up to the Lexington Armory for the 1PM shift or the 7PM shift (get there an hour early). Be advised that it's best to for the afternoon session since tasting glasses will run out by the second session this time around. You'll get a VIP ticket which is on the same floor this time around (much better methinks).

Also on another note, the annual Mermaid Parade is happening as I type this post so if anyone is going or went to that, it would be cool to some pics. Had the opportunity to volunteer there but totally forgot about it once I saw the beer festival.

I went to that Mermaid parade last year, it was hilarious.

I'm shooting you a PM about that ticket!

I was supposed to photograph the Mermaid Parade, but they prioritized free photographers. If you're going to prioritize free photographers, then don't mention a paid stipend on a craigslist ad.

These are my plans for the next few weeks

June 19: Xeno & Oaklander and skating at LeFrak Center
I haven't rollerbladed in like 10 years. How hard is it to adapt again? Any tips?

June 21: Public Enemy in Betsy Head Park
Crowd's gonna be enormous. How early should I get there?

June 22: Star Wars: The Force Awakens in Mullaly Park

June 29: Neon Indian at House of Vans
I have to leave from work at or before 5 PM and the route is about 45 minutes (optimistically). Enough time to RSVP if the doors open at 7?

June 30: Independence Day in Sunset Park

June 2-7: Parents are visiting - going to do big things like 1WTC, Intrepid, Top of the Rock, Broadway, etc.

The summer internship is good - my coworkers are great, my supervisor is friendly, and the actual work is mostly decent and will only get better. Plus the perks sound wonderful (free museum entry, food and gift shop discounts). I love this city - the only thing that irritates me is the price of food. The housing is dealt with and I consider the subway monthly pass a good deal so food is the only thing that sticks out immediately.

Jhoan

I was supposed to photograph the Mermaid Parade, but they prioritized free photographers. If you're going to prioritize free photographers, then don't mention a paid stipend on a craigslist ad.
Oh the irony! Most of the time, if it's run by a non-profit, they'll be looking for people to do it for free/volunteer photographers. Depending on the size of their budget, they can't afford a freelance photographer but will hire one or two pros. But yeah man, that's misleading so it sucks.

Kind of bored at the beer festival. It's been fun to say the least but I would be more interested in sketching some of the attendees. Lots of folks using the Untapped app on their phones to review beers. Tomorrow is my birthday but I don't think I'm going to do anything special other than maybe the semi-awkward family dinner.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
I'm at the craft beer fest and I've confirmed that I just don't like IPAs. Also the first beer I tried was the best and that was the Yonkers Vienna Lager.

Oh the irony! Most of the time, if it's run by a non-profit, they'll be looking for people to do it for free/volunteer photographers. Depending on the size of their budget, they can't afford a freelance photographer but will hire one or two pros. But yeah man, that's misleading so it sucks.
It's their loss.

Props to Jhoan for getting me a free ticket to the beer festival! I had a blast!

PS in case you were wondering the Brady avatar is due to a lost bet.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Times Square is absolutely beautiful at night, and definitely something a tourist should experience, IMO.

Agreed. It was the worst part of my commute when I lived in NJ, and it is something to hate when you live here because its charm wears off quickly, but tourists should absolutely see it. It's a very unique place and is still very much part of New York.

Agreed. It was the worst part of my commute when I lived in NJ, and it is something to hate when you live here because its charm wears off quickly, but tourists should absolutely see it. It's a very unique place and is still very much part of New York.

You should see it once and then never spend anytime there except when you're on your way to watch a Broadway show.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
You should see it once and then never spend anytime there except when you're on your way to watch a Broadway show.

Don't get me wrong. I agree 100%. But I still think it's worth seeing that one time. I avoid it like the plague but recognize how magical it is.

Jhoan

I'm at the craft beer fest and I've confirmed that I just don't like IPAs. Also the first beer I tried was the best and that was the Yonkers Vienna Lager.
I don't like IPA's myself. They're a bit too much for me. Ended ended up hoarding up a bunch of Blood Red Orange Wheat beers, some ciders, a few random IPAs, and random beers so I'm loaded for a while. I'll more than likely use the IPAs to cook with them.

There's was a Vanilla stout at one of the tables that looked interesting and I was serving a raspberry ale that went fast. Were you at the first session or second session?
Props to Jhoan for getting me a free ticket to the beer festival! I had a blast!

PS in case you were wondering the Brady avatar is due to a lost bet.
It was my pleasure man! Always happy to hook a GAF member up if I get a free ticket for an event I'm volunteering or working at. My brother ended up going to the second session so it was win-win.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
There's was a Vanilla stout at one of the tables that looked interesting and I was serving a raspberry ale that went fast. Were you at the first session or second session?

First. I had the Beckenridge Vanilla Stout, not sure if there was another, and it was alright.

Jhoan

First. I had the Beckenridge Vanilla Stout, not sure if there was another, and it was alright.
It was probably that one. That first session I was serving two Scottish beers; a dark stout and an ale. The best thing I had from there was probably the 137 cider, a cider from Galicia, Spain and a beer from the VIP section that a volunteer gave to me that was Ali want to say or something like that. Had it with a Subway sandwich and it was amazing. There was a Grapefruit Heffeweiser that people enjoyed.

Beer is an acquired taste. I'm no beer snob as I tend to favor fruity beers. If it's cheap beers, I go for Corona or Presidente. Mixed drinks it's usually a whiskey sour or a rum and coke. Definitely will be doing it again in the fall. Next up for me is volunteering at the Games For Change Festival this Thursday and Friday.

How bad is the Ditmas Park area? Got screwed out of the other thing cause somebody put down a security deposit on it while I was getting my paperwork together at work.

Jhoan

This Friday. Let's goooooooo.
It sounds like Makai's buying everyone drinks. ;p Volunteering on Friday and would be free after 7ish barring I don't stay to break down but only one problem: it's my middle brother's 30th birthday as his wife is throwing a surprise party for him at a club on East Houston St at 10pm so I would have to leave around 9:30PM if not a bit earlier to meet my often mentioned oldest brother. Saturday night would be the better day for me personally.

Sai-kun

Banned
Got myself and the gal passes to the new Meadows Festival in Queens this October! I'm so psyched! I haven't been back to NYC in forever. Super excited to search for a good airbnb
LLShC.gif

Pau

I somehow cut soda a couple years ago as well! I drink 2 liters of seltzer like nuts now.

Edit: Oh, did you mean cocaine? I legit can't tell. LOL
Haha no, I do mean the soda. And it's only coca-cola. But it's just so good.

Got myself and the gal passes to the new Meadows Festival in Queens this October! I'm so psyched! I haven't been back to NYC in forever. Super excited to search for a good airbnb
LLShC.gif

I'm so excited to be back home in October ^_________^
yes y'all just made my fall semester

Top Bottom