• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Makai

Wow at Three Philosophers beer. :U

10% alcohol
$10
Comes in a wine bottle

three-glass_1280.png

hoggert

Try Allagash Curieux if you can find it. A few bodegas in Lws/chelsea used to have it.

I totally missed the forecasts for today. A bit of a downer.

Mega

Banned
for some reason i don't like shakeshack burgers. although all my friends like it. so it must be just me.

bareburger all the way!

Bareburger is awesome. Ditto Five Guys.

Shake Shack burgers have a distinct flavor that I could see someone disliking. There was a time I was binging on their burgers and I did sort of get sick of them.

I really liked Good Burger before they became Clarke's Standard.. which have all have shut down now. CS had weirdly greasy, watery burgers.

Penguin

Barbeburger is awesome. Ditto Five Guys.

Shake Shack burgers have a distinct flavor that I could see someone disliking. There was a time I was binging on their burgers and I did sort of get sick of them.

I really liked Good Burger before they became Clarke's Standard.. which have all have shut down now. CS had weirdly greasy, watery burgers.

I only went into Good Burger because of the name... and was disappointed not greeted properly,but yeah their burgers was amazing

Bareburger was great..had my final date with my at the time gf about 2 weeks ago...good times...:(
=/ sorry to hear. i will try to come to Brooklyn soon. we'll hang.

that's exactly what happened. i used to take out my students for lunch at shakeshack. but one week i had it about 3 days in a row. after that i could never get back into the taste.

but i have Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich at least 2-4 times a week and it's still good...
eating that right now. Wendy's is open July 4th late night till 3am in Fort Lee

Fiancée and I ordered takeout from Bareburger last week and they delivered 3 burgers instead of the 2 we ordered. I was in heaven eating both of those burgers.

Penguin

=/ sorry to hear. i will try to come to Brooklyn soon. we'll hang.

that's exactly what happened. i used to take out my students for lunch at shakeshack. but one week i had it about 3 days in a row. after that i could never get back into the taste.

but i have Wendy's spicy chicken sandwich at least 2-4 times a week and it's still good...
eating that right now. Wendy's is open July 4th late night till 3am in Fort Lee

ARGH

I try as much as I can not to have the same thing often.

I kind of swear off Thai food outside of work because we do it for all events and got sick of it, but once or twice a month is fine.

Guess on that note, what area does everyone work in and where are your go-to spots for food?

ARGH

I try as much as I can not to have the same thing often.

I kind of swear off Thai food outside of work because we do it for all events and got sick of it, but once or twice a month is fine.

Guess on that note, what area does everyone work in and where are your go-to spots for food?

yeah, i can't eat pad thai anymore after seeing it so much...

myeslf not in the city anymore but work in Edison/Princeton in NJ.

but when worked in the city, i was a staff worker @ Columbia University for one of the clubs and always got sandwiches at
"M to M"
and friend chicken at "Hamilton Deli"

by NYU i grabbed
"Mamoun's Falafel"

in Queens there were these amazing Vietnamese Sandwich place that was surreal called "Joju" in Elmhurst, NY
http://www.jojuny.com/
ahh, make sure to get an fried egg on the sandwich!

in Staten Island:
the best place for lunch was Pho Mac, i think it was the only Pho place where everyone on the Island would go.

I usually go to the K town food court on 33rd to meet and hang with people late night.
that's usually where alot my friends go to meet after work.

I work in Times Square...I brown bag it. If I don't I usually just grab a soup and sandwich from Hale and Hearty. I usually get breakfast at Pax, but I'm on a budget till I get paid again...I miss those breakfast wraps. Cheese, egg whites, tomato onions or onions and mushrooms...so good.

Penguin

I work in Times Square...I brown bag it. If I don't I usually just grab a soup and sandwich from Hale and Hearty. I usually get breakfast at Pax, but I'm on a budget till I get paid again...I miss those breakfast wraps. Cheese, egg whites, tomato onions or onions and mushrooms...so good.

Oh what part of Times Square?

And thought moved to Brooklyn to be closer to work?

Valtýr

Anyone use Mealpass? Someone I work with has been using it and has enjoyed the service. It's like 130 bucks a month and you get to select lunch from various food places and pick it up at specific time.

Oh what part of Times Square?

And thought moved to Brooklyn to be closer to work?
I'm on 41st and Broadway or some shit. I used to live on Long Island...Brooklyn is much closer to work by comparison. I just hopped on a Q this morning and was at work within 50 minutes. Not the hour and 20 minutes or the 2+ hours that I was dealing with last month when I was taking a bus in to Jamaica Center and riding an E from there, that shit was killing me.

Oh no, not Pax. My first job used to have Pax cater client lunches and important meetings with their sandwiches. They were always AWFUL.

If you want a similar sandwich/breakfast chain that's better, try Lenny's (or Lenwich, the idiotic rebranding of the iconic Lenny's).

Oh no, not Pax. My first job used to have Pax cater client lunches and important meetings with their sandwiches. They were always AWFUL.

If you want a similar sandwich/breakfast chain that's better, try Lenny's (or Lenwich, the idiotic rebranding of the iconic Lenny's).
I never really had a problem with Pax to be honest, but I should give Lenny's a try, there's one right behind my building...I guess Pax's stuff has a bit of an acquired taste...oatmeal is horrible though, but it's still better than Pax's edible concrete mix.

Penguin

I'm on 41st and Broadway or some shit. I used to live on Long Island...Brooklyn is much closer to work by comparison. I just hopped on a Q this morning and was at work within 50 minutes. Not the hour and 20 minutes or the 2+ hours that I was dealing with last month when I was taking a bus in to Jamaica Center and riding an E from there, that shit was killing me.

Oh so you're like right by Midtown Comics!

Mega

Banned
I wanna meet the person who thought Lenwich was a good idea and who miraculously convinced a group of stakeholders to go along with it. It sounds too stupid... I still call it Lenny's.

I actually think of Pax as one of the early "healthy" alternatives to regular fast food with their paninis, salads and whatnot in the 2000s. But like Tasti D-Lite in the face of Pinkberry and Red mango, their quality was inferior to the places that popped up in its wake so I have seen stores looking empty or closed down while other places thrive.

Whole Foods is a much better alternative to both Pax and Pret. I dislike the latter nowadays... they have weird tasting sandwiches and their soups suck compared to Hale & Hearty.

I wanna meet the person who thought Lenwich was a good idea and who miraculously convinced a group of stakeholders to go along with it. It sounds too stupid... I still call it Lenny's.

I actually think of Pax as one of the early "healthy" alternatives to regular fast food with their paninis, salads and whatnot in the 2000s. But like Tasti D-Lite in the face of Pinkberry and Red mango, their quality was inferior to the places that popped up in its wake so I have seen stores looking empty or closed down while other places thrive.

Whole Foods is a much better alternative to both Pax and Pret. I dislike the latter nowadays... they have weird tasting sandwiches and their soups suck compared to Hale & Hearty.
I'd love to shop at Whole Foods, but I'm not giving them my whole paycheck. I actually do like Red Mango...love Pink Berry, but I'm not searching for one. Whenever I was at Penn Station and craved ice cream I just got Tasti D-Lite, it's not that bad and the Red Mango in there closes too early.

Mega

Banned
I don't mean spending your entire paycheck buying groceries at Whole Foods. You can grab lunch at WF and it's not bad price-wise compared to other lunch options that aren't cheap fast food.

I don't mean spending your entire paycheck buying groceries at Whole Foods. You can grab lunch at WF and it's not bad price-wise compared to other lunch options that aren't cheap fast food.
Oh I get ya. I usually just brown bag lunch. I usually end up spending something on breakfast though.

Jhoan

Porters?! Bleh! No thank you! I hoarded up some damn good cider from the beer festival called Wolffer No. 139. It's refreshing, it's strong at 6.9% ABV and best of all, not super sweet. Also Full Sail Blood Orange Wheat Ale has been great stuff. Then again, I'm a sucker for fruity beers although the sweetest beer I've ever had was a Raspberry Framboise a few weeks ago.

Heads up to anyone in the West Village area: Free hotdogs are being given away right now from 4PM-6PM at Washington Square Park South and Thompson Street so go get them while they're hot: https://www.dnainfo.com/new-york/20...given-away-washington-square-park-on-thursday

Top Bottom