• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
It's all about that crisp double-fry crackley skin.

Jhoan

Love that chicken from Popeyes. Louisiana fast.™ I can't that damn jingle out of my head! Been listening to the radio too much.

But in all seriousness, I barely eat fried chicken but when I do I avoid the skin and eat the meat even though the skin gives it the flavor. Spare rib tips with fried rice from my nearest Chinese store is my guilty pleasure once in a while.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Comparing KFC and Southern fried chicken is so unfair. I love both. ;_;

By the by, I've had instances where Bon Chon and Kyochon has given me "leftover" chicken. Disappointing moments.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Maybe Bruce is after that craggy exterior, which bonchon understandably lacks because it's going for something totally different.

Penguin

So I'm randomly going to be in new york city on saturday night

Anyone interested in doing a Pokemon Go pub/bar crawl?

I know there was some mention of the WWE live event, is everyone going to that?
Well you already know interested in whatever

Hahaha, I think that was Evo not WWE although Penguin sure does love Wrasslin so there's that. There a bunch of peeps I overhead talking all things Pokemon Go at alma mater yesterday while I was getting some work done. I live tweeted a few quotes. Something about Central Park getting flooded with folks now and parties to find certain pokemon.

That said I would be down but Pokemon Go is acting up on my phone.

Edit: Dat Asian bias up above.

Is there anything going on for Evo here?
Like a bar that shows some of the match-ups?

Does Barcade stream any of these things?

Jhoan

Well you already know interested in whatever

Is there anything going on for Evo here?
Like a bar that shows some of the match-ups?

Does Barcade stream any of these things?

That's a very good question. If I had to take a guess, I would say that I doubt it since Barcade doesn't have any TVs IIRC. I can't think of any bars that show gaming events off the top my head since it's a niche thing. Would anyone here happen to know of any bars that show gaming events?

I imagine that Next Level Games is going to hosting some kind of event for Evo weekend since my brother goes over there every Friday.

Penguin

That's a very good question. If I had to take a guess, I would say that I doubt it since Barcade doesn't have any TVs IIRC. I can't think of any bars that show gaming events off the top my head since it's a niche thing. Would anyone here happen to know of any bars that show gaming events?

I imagine that Next Level Games is going to hosting some kind of event for Evo weekend since my brother goes over there every Friday.

Yeah they don't have TVs and doesn't happen often, but surprised the Barcades don't host like e3 viewing parties or what have you

But yeah if Gazele comes into the City, I'll meet up with him... figure something out to do.

Did I go to the Fat Cat with Gaffers? That was a cool bar

yeah, there is a major difference between the two lol. Make sure you know what you're walking into
I was supposed to meet her sometime next week. She moved it up herself, we're seeing Ghostbusters. I actually kind of sort of tried to wiggle out of seeing the movie with her, but she said she wanted to see it with me after she initially said she was seeing it by herself.

Pau

Well I seem to have a date this Saturday, better be a date and not some hangout thing.
This is why I wish people were explicit when asking people out. Better for both parties! Too many times I've hung out with a guy for him to be like: "Oh I thought this was a date?" D:

This is why I wish people were explicit when asking people out. Better for both parties! Too many times I've hung out with a guy for him to be like: "Oh I thought this was a date?" D:
I met her on a dating site, but that's still not a guarantee. I'm not on that shit for pen pals and such.

Did you guys here about that K2 overdose in brooklyn on myrtle/broadway.

30+ people. Shit is crazy. It all comes from one deli too. IDK how they can't shut it down

That area is really gentrifying but it sucks when I'm over there and you see people acting like literal zombies and walking into traffic

even made the cover of the post
13659071_10157928065160206_6174182356815307718_n.jpg

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

30+ people. Shit is crazy. It all comes from one deli too. IDK how they can't shut it down

That area is really gentrifying but it sucks when I'm over there and you see people acting like literal zombies and walking into traffic

That shit is bonkers.

That shit is bonkers.

its really an epidemic I see scenes likethis almost every time
I hang out around there because my friends frequent some bars around there and while I've never been threatened and I don't think the people are prone to violence but still. I don't know how the city can't shut down the deli which makes their own k2 and does a bunch of other relatively minor stuff that probably they could use (sells loose cigarettes, sells to minors)

I really feel for the people using. The drug is so cheap its not a mystery why they use it. They want to get high and this is the only thing that they can get their hands on

Penguin

even made the cover of the post
13659071_10157928065160206_6174182356815307718_n.jpg

I know not the story, but seeing Koffing on the cover is so jarring with the front page story

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
I hang out around there because my friends frequent some bars around there and while I've never been threatened and I don't think the people are prone to violence but still. I don't know how the city can't shut down the deli which makes their own k2 and does a bunch of other relatively minor stuff that probably they could use (sells loose cigarettes, sells to minors)

I really feel for the people using. The drug is so cheap its not a mystery why they use it. They want to get high and this is the only thing that they can get their hands on

I know what you mean, just seeing the pictures is incredibly sad and frustrating.

Not to sound like a jerk, apologies if I do, but it's definitely your fault, I'm not even sure how you can arrange a non date on a dating site
Can't even argue. I go in thinking it's a date, next thing I know it's not cause the woman has a boyfriend in the military or something (true story actually), or I'm not their type or we're just not really all that compatible in person. Me and dating...lots of bad history. Makes me wonder how I actually had a GF for as long as I actually did.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces

I think K2 was made illegal last year, no? There's nothing stopping the popo from closing them down and making arrests.

Remember watching a Vice video on the epidemic in England. Shit is scary.

I met her on a dating site, but that's still not a guarantee. I'm not on that shit for pen pals and such.

good luck on your date.

i was just in the city the past Monday but didn't have time to hang.
Went from Fort Lee - Jersey Shore - Hoboken - World Financial Center - Union Square and back. i stopped by Forbidden Planet 9:55pm right before closing and grabbed a comic... that made my day =)

good luck on your date.

Went from Fort Lee - Jersey Shore - Hoboken - World Financial Center - Union Square and back. i stopped by Forbidden Planet 9:55pm right before closing and grabbed a comic... that made my day =)
Thanks, don't worry about it, I usually don't hang after work unless I need to.

Jhoan

Yeah they don't have TVs and doesn't happen often, but surprised the Barcades don't host like e3 viewing parties or what have you

But yeah if Gazele comes into the City, I'll meet up with him... figure something out to do.

Did I go to the Fat Cat with Gaffers? That was a cool bar
Nah, I think Barcade would lose business if they turned into a quasi-sports bar that streamed gaming events. They reason they continue to expand is because they have games that cater to all kinds of people.

I organized a GAF meet up at Fat Cat about 3 years ago and went back there on a few dates. It was cool if a bit too loud to talk at with the live jazz in the background.
I was supposed to meet her sometime next week. She moved it up herself, we're seeing Ghostbusters. I actually kind of sort of tried to wiggle out of seeing the movie with her, but she said she wanted to see it with me after she initially said she was seeing it by herself.

Movies is such an awful idea for a date unless you guys manage to make out during the middle of it. I saw Manhattanhenge and went to the High Line on a date last night. It was cool but without boring you guys about my dating life, the girl was shy and wanted to be friends when we parted ways which was odd. I don't consider myself to be a shy person but she was a bit hard to crack.

However, it seems like she's dead on a movie so hopefully you have something else to do afterwards such as get drinks or food. Good luck!

good luck on your date.

I still want to go hit up a Korean BBQ place at Fort Lee that isn't pricey but I need a group to do it with!

So my boss has 20 free extra tickets for an event that we're covering tomorrow at 5PM. It's going to be on a boat with a live band and cash only bar. It's on E 23rd and FDR Drive. Boarding begins at 7PM and comes back around 10PMish. Here's the link: http://www.rocksoff.com/shows/5586

If anyone is free tomorrow evening and would be down, please shoot me a PM/text if you have my number ASAP with your full name so I can send it to my boss by tonight. If you're bringing a +1, include that person's name as well.

Lulubop

I used to hang out at Fat Cat a bit. Never a big fan. The ambiance is fucking awful

Oh damn, that's right there. I live on the FDR. Working tomorrow night though.

Nah, I think Barcade would lose business if they turned into a quasi-sports bar that streamed gaming events. They reason they continue to expand is because they have games that cater to all kinds of people.

I organized a GAF meet up at Fat Cat about 3 years ago and went back there on a few dates. It was cool if a bit too loud to talk at with the live jazz in the background.

Movies is such an awful idea for a date unless you guys manage to make out during the middle of it. I saw Manhattanhenge and went to the High Line on a date last night. It was cool but without boring you guys about my dating life, the girl was shy and wanted to be friends when we parted ways which was odd. I don't consider myself to be a shy person but she was a bit hard to crack.

However, it seems like she's dead on a movie so hopefully you have something else to do afterwards such as get drinks or food. Good luck!

I still want to go hit up a Korean BBQ place at Fort Lee that isn't pricey but I need a group to do it with!

So my boss has 20 free extra tickets for an event that we're covering tomorrow at 5PM. It's going to be on a boat with a live band and cash only bar. It's on E 23rd and FDR Drive. Boarding begins at 7PM and comes back around 10PMish. Here's the link: http://www.rocksoff.com/shows/5586

If anyone is free tomorrow evening and would be down, please shoot me a PM/text if you have my number ASAP with your full name so I can send it to my boss by tonight. If you're bringing a +1, include that person's name as well.
I'm not one of those first date kissing people, I'm a bit shy. We're most likely grabbing coffee afterwards

Thanks, don't worry about it, I usually don't hang after work unless I need to.
i will try to get out to Brooklyn... one day! i might try to sneak a trip tomorrow to grab another comic at Forbidden Planet. There's a hard of find omnibus i want.

yeah, definitely, there's a lot of choices on Broad Ave. Palisades Park.

Christopher

I ant believe they closed the Texas De Brazil Manhattan location I loved that place!

Guys I'm obsessed with the Hummis and Pit Company on chambers and Broadway....I feel like a liberal every time I go in there and order my fancy hummus :(

Nuu

Banned
So I am considering moving to New York City next year.

I just have a few questions

• Is the city that expensive to live in? Or does it just depend on where in it you live?
  • How's crime in the city? I've heard its much lower than most other cities in the country?
  • Where would be the best place to live in for a singe twenty-something year old who makes a middle class wage?
  • Does the city live up to the hype?
  • Is the liberal mayor actually fighting against cost of living expenses or is it just lipservice?
:

Top Bottom