• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

Penguin

When I can stay logged in for more than 5 minutes. :p

It's pretty convenient working around Rockefeller Center. My office is basically around 3 PokeSpots.

Yeah, for once happy to work in midtown.

I got 3 in a row within like 2 mins on 34th between 8th and 9th

Jhoan

Pokemon Go outing? I keep reading about how the servers are getting hammered and something about a battery draining bug. Plus my phone is rooted so I dunno if it works on rooted phones since Miitomo definitely does not. I might give it a try on a whim to see what the buzz is about if it means it gets my lazy ass out of the house.

Oh, and the humidity was indeed bad. I'm dangerously close to cutting off my hair since humidity makes my hair super frizzy and it's tangled pretty bad in the back to the nape of neck. As soon as I went out yesterday it started to shower. Saw a bunch of raccoons and a stray cat at Highbridge Park.

Volunteering a shift at Whiskey Fried this Saturday. Signed up for the evening shift so if anyone plans on going, I'll be there. Thanks to Penguin again for sharing the event.

Pokemon Go outing? I keep reading about how the servers are getting hammered and something about a battery draining bug. Plus my phone is rooted so I dunno if it works on rooted phones since Miitomo definitely does not. I might give it a try on a whim to see what the buzz is about if it means it gets my lazy ass out of the house.

Oh, and the humidity was indeed bad. I'm dangerously close to cutting off my hair since humidity makes my hair super frizzy and it's tangled pretty bad in the back to the nape of neck. As soon as I went out yesterday it started to shower. Saw a bunch of raccoons and a stray cat at Highbridge Park.

Volunteering a shift at Whiskey Fried this Saturday. Signed up for the evening shift so if anyone plans on going, I'll be there. Thanks to Penguin again for sharing the event.
Dude what time did you leave the house to see crazy ass raccoons? Maybe they come out earlier than they did in long island?

Pau

I'm wondering if the Pokemon in NYC are different than what I'm getting in Pittsburgh. So far it's all Zubats, Venonats, and Pidgys.

Oxn

I'm wondering if the Pokemon in NYC are different than what I'm getting in Pittsburgh. So far it's all Zubats, Venonats, and Pidgys.

Its probably all level based.

The higher the level the better pokemon you have options to get.

Thats my guess. Not like ill run into a mewtwo at lvl 5.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
Fuck it's humid today.

took the day off from the office to spend the day w/ my wife

ended up spending my morning in my neighbor's apartment. he is an elderly man w/ Parkinsons and a family who doesn't give a shit about him... he had no A/C on and looked like he was in awful shape. helped him with his meds and let him stay in our apartment for a while to cool off.

stay safe out there folks and check in with your older ppl

jasonng

ended up spending my morning in my neighbor's apartment. he is an elderly man w/ Parkinsons and a family who doesn't give a shit about him... he had no A/C on and looked like he was in awful shape. helped him with his meds and let him stay in our apartment for a while to cool off.

You're good people.

Jhoan

Dude what time did you leave the house to see crazy ass raccoons? Maybe they come out earlier than they did in long island?
I should provide some context: I went to meet up with a date around 6:30pm to go hit up Heights Tavern which is a pretty damn solid bar. We got to the park around 9PMish; the part of the park we were at was near the stairs that lead down to the High Bridge. Spotted a raccoon a few minutes later creeping around the trash can near the stairs. One dude tried to scare it away but raccoons just don't care and ignored the guy. My brother said that one was sniffing around him when he was around that area last Friday.

They're everywhere where there are wooded areas man! Saw them at Inwood Park last week; another one that ended up climbing up a tree at Central Park around the 59th and 5th part that same week at dusk. I saw a skunk crawling outside the perimeter of Fort Tryon Park near Dyckman and 200th last year. If you have food, raccoons will come in droves.

Anyone going to the Come Out & Play After Dark @ Dumbo tonight?

http://www.comeoutandplay.org/after-dark-2016/

I never been and I have the rare weekend off so I'm curious.
This sounds fun! I might just check it out since I don't have any plans for today. Makai lives in the area I think it would be right up his alley to check out.

Supernatural-Dean.gif

You're doing the work of saints. That's damn good.

Penguin

Who wants to go on a Pokemon adventure then hit up a bar today?

Not sure where yet... was thinking by Highline since near water as well.

Jhoan

I'm volunteering at Whiskey Fried for the evening shift today from 5pm-10pm so if you guys are willing to come by the Williamsburg/Greenpoint area, I'll stick around afterwards to hang out. Anything but Barcade would be fine e.g. Radegast Beer Garden. The other thing that I could very well end up doing is crossing the Williamsburg Bridge into Manhattan if I'm not tired and/or hungry.

I downloaded Pokemon Go to see what the buzz is about. The fact that it uses GPS makes me fear for my phone's battery life. I haven't opened it yet but it sounds like I'm in for a treat and lots of sever issues. I haven't played a Pokemon game since Pearl which was the last one I bought so the idea of playing a F2P Pokemon game makes me wary.

Penguin

I'm volunteering at Whiskey Fried for the evening shift today from 5pm-10pm so if you guys are willing to come by the Williamsburg/Greenpoint area, I'll stick around afterwards to hang out. Anything but Barcade would be fine e.g. Radegast Beer Garden. The other thing that I could very well end up doing is crossing the Williamsburg Bridge into Manhattan if I'm not tired and/or hungry.

I downloaded Pokemon Go to see what the buzz is about. The fact that it uses GPS makes me fear for my phone's battery life. I haven't opened it yet but it sounds like I'm in for a treat and lots of sever issues. I haven't played a Pokemon game since Pearl which was the last one I bought so the idea of playing a F2P Pokemon game makes me wary.

I wanted to go to that, but it's like 90 bucks for a ticket

Hmmm Gotham City Lounge is a Pokemon Gym....

Penguin

How is that place? I live near it but never gone in
I've actually never been since like other side of Brooklyn

But hey Pokemon Go is all about exploring!
And it's comic themed

I could be down for something tonight, but I think my antisocialness would fuck up the vibe

Eh, most folks on GAF are pretty chill and will give you room if don't wanna talk... and can always drop your head in your phone to look for Pokemon!

Lulubop

How is that place? I live near it but never gone in

It's really small, but a solid dive. One of those ironic hipster ones though. Cheapest place I've seen the ol' whiskey shot/PBR special and it's an actual tallboy PBR.

I'd be down for something too, but I have to work.

Jhoan

I could be down for something tonight, but I think my antisocialness would fuck up the vibe
You used the socially awkward card at the last big meet up.:p

Ha so this seems like may be a thing

1)Who is free?
2)What times?
3)Best place/area for you to get to?
I'm in Williamsburg now. Will be free after 10PMish depending if there's breakdown to do afterwards. I'll be in the area. Always forget that there's tons of hipsters, tourists, and art.

You used the socially awkward card at the last big meet up.:p

I'm in Williamsburg now. Will be free after 10PMish depending if there's breakdown to do afterwards. I'll be in the area. Always forget that there's tons of hipsters, tourists, and art.

I know :( I chicken out, I was actually 100% down tonight to meet but something else just came up

Jhoan

I survived drinking more whiskey than I could ever imagine in one night let alone a year and ended up waking up at 6:45am to the tune of a bad headache. I rectified said headache with some aspirin and finally regained the strength to get out of bed. Have enough energy to go hit the gym.

Don't want to think about alcohol for several days since it'll only make my stomach turn but I'm down for something today. Ended up with too many bags of chips, ice cream, and the most questionable swag of them all...a red fire extinguisher for whatever reason may be. o_O

Looking back on last night, the event was pretty damn solid overall. Slightly pretentious but Williamsburg being Williamsburg, it's everywhere.

what neighborhood is between turtle bay and the upper east side? Like between 54th and 59th? I'm trying to find like any community groups in that area but I have no idea what they'd call themselves. I guess its just midtown east but nobody really organizes around that designation

B-Dubs

No Scrubs
what neighborhood is between turtle bay and the upper east side? Like between 54th and 59th? I'm trying to find like any community groups in that area but I have no idea what they'd call themselves. I guess its just midtown east but nobody really organizes around that designation

Lenox Hill I think.

Sutton Place?

Jhoan

Heads up: The yearly phenomenon known as Manhattanhenge is happening today and tomorrow so if anyone wants a good date idea/something to do, here you go:

According to the American Museum of Natural History, the sun will be aligned at 8:20 p.m. on July 11, and half the sun will align with the grid on July 12 at the same time.

To see the sunset, New Yorkers should go to clear cross streets, such as 14th, 23rd, 34th, 42nd and 57th streets. The museum recommends standing on the east side, but keeping a clear view of the west so you can still see New Jersey.

Plan to get to your viewing spot about a half-hour before the sun is expected to align

Via AMNY. Thanks to GK86 for giving me the heads up about this. Also Stargazing at Highline Park.

fallengorn

Bitches love smiley faces
Ando just launched in Midtown East. (No more access codes!)

Just had the fried chicken box. The two pieces were way bigger than I though they were going to be. Pretty good value, midtown pricing notwithstanding.

gazele

Banned
So I'm randomly going to be in new york city on saturday night

Anyone interested in doing a Pokemon Go pub/bar crawl?

I know there was some mention of the WWE live event, is everyone going to that?

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
There's probably better KrFC to be had elsewhere, though I haven't bothered to search for it (I'd rather sample traditional Korean cuisine than fried chicken). Bonchon is also kind of overpriced.

The best fried chicken I've had in NYC is a dingy little muslim/arabic place in Jackson Heights near the Roosevelt Ave train station. I haven't had it in years and they must have closed down by now, but it was the best after-school snack.

Jhoan

So I'm randomly going to be in new york city on saturday night

Anyone interested in doing a Pokemon Go pub/bar crawl?

I know there was some mention of the WWE live event, is everyone going to that?
Hahaha, I think that was Evo not WWE although Penguin sure does love Wrasslin so there's that. There a bunch of peeps I overhead talking all things Pokemon Go at alma mater yesterday while I was getting some work done. I live tweeted a few quotes. Something about Central Park getting flooded with folks now and parties to find certain pokemon.

That said I would be down but Pokemon Go is acting up on my phone.

Edit: Dat Asian bias up above.

Top Bottom