• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYC GAF |OT| We get around in a hole in the ground

mooooose

Hey NYC dudes! I currently live on Long Island, have been working in Manhattan for a year, and it's time for me to move out.

I work in Times Square (sigh), and I'm looking to spend Anywhere from $1500 - $1800 on rent. Does anyone have some suggestions of where to look, and would also be an easy commute?

My best friends live on 42nd & 1st and in Williamsburg (on Marcy), so I'd like to be somewhat close to them.

I've been looking in Astoria (close to the NW, affordable rent, 1 bedroom, etc.) but I'd like to hold onto my car and I've heard parking in Astoria sucks. I'd be willing to check out places in Manhattan and forgo my car, but not in Queens? I dunno.

Anyway, this got long, tldr: moving to NYC, $1500-$1800 for rent, work in Times Square. Any area suggestions?

Hey NYC dudes! I currently live on Long Island, have been working in Manhattan for a year, and it's time for me to move out.

I work in Times Square (sigh), and I'm looking to spend Anywhere from $1500 - $1800 on rent. Does anyone have some suggestions of where to look, and would also be an easy commute?

My best friends live on 42nd & 1st and in Williamsburg (on Marcy), so I'd like to be somewhat close to them.

I've been looking in Astoria (close to the NW, affordable rent, 1 bedroom, etc.) but I'd like to hold onto my car and I've heard parking in Astoria sucks. I'd be willing to check out places in Manhattan and forgo my car, but not in Queens? I dunno.

Anyway, this got long, tldr: moving to NYC, $1500-$1800 for rent, work in Times Square. Any area suggestions?
Parking anywhere sucks. Do you really need the car? Cause once you're not paying for that it frees up some serious money in my opinion.

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
anyone waiting on line for Sunday? it's snowing now

8lcJw.gif

Plus I bought World of Final Fantasy just for waiting on the line. Justifying the purchase negates weather conditions.

For that price range, taking the car into consideration, you're better off in a less trendier spot in Queens like Jackson Heights.

If you drop the car and don't care for space, you could probably get a studio in Manhattan for around $1800.

B-Dubs

No Scrubs

Unless you're in Staten Island or Long Island parking is going to be a shitshow. Unless you're in Bayside in Queens, or thereabouts, you don't really need a car.

mooooose

The reason I want the car is because my girlfriend lives in Nassau County on Long Island, a 35 minute drive from Queens, and she doesn't drive. It would definitely help us if I had a car.

The reason I want the car is because my girlfriend lives in Nassau County on Long Island, a 35 minute drive from Queens, and she doesn't drive. It would definitely help us if I had a car.
She live with her parents? I once had a discussion about the same sort of thing with my GF...she's now my ex.

mooooose

She live with her parents? I once had a discussion about the same sort of thing with my GF...she's now my ex.
Yeah. She's living with them while she pays down her student loans. She's pretty great so I'm trying to make moving out an easy transition. We currently live pretty far apart anyway (45 minute drive), as I'm far out east on Long Island.

Yeah. She's living with them while she pays down her student loans. She's pretty great so I'm trying to make moving out an easy transition. We currently live pretty far apart anyway (45 minute drive), as I'm far out east on Long Island.
Well I hope you can make it work. There was just too much going against me and my ex, so pretty much we just called it quits before I moved out. Her not wanting to move out of her parents house, her being completely unrealistic to me having to move and saving up money before I moved and some other things were the final straw.

mooooose

Well I hope you can make it work. There was just too much going against me and my ex, so pretty much we just called it quits before I moved out. Her not wanting to move out of her parents house, her being completely unrealistic to me having to move and saving up money before I moved and some other things were the final straw.
Damn, when'd that happen to you guys? Hope you're doing ok man.

My gf is dying to move out but just can't because of loans. She's looking for jobs in the city and tbh I'd be down with her just staying with me whenever if she throws some grocery money lol. But in the meantime, she's tied to her town because of her job, so we'd only hang when she's off or weekends.

Damn, when'd that happen to you guys? Hope you're doing ok man.

My gf is dying to move out but just can't because of loans. She's looking for jobs in the city and tbh I'd be down with her just staying with me whenever if she throws some grocery money lol. But in the meantime, she's tied to her town because of her job, so we'd only hang when she's off or weekends.
We broke up at the end of June, we spoke about it in the middle of June, I moved July 1st, got kicked out of parents house June 26th I think and ended up living in her living room for a couple of days. Sleeping in your exes house gets awkward cause you eventually start speaking about why the relationship didn't work.

Jhoan

one on one. 1st Avenue and east 1st?
16 candles/handles on second ave wasnt bad either. basically nyc has too many restaurants->mini dance bars. I blame the crowds and less on the djs.
Nah, it definitely wasn't One on One. It was another place. I think it was either along Delancey, Bowery or Christie street near Chinatown. All I remember was that it was near a corner, it was underground, that I took a bunch of pics of PXG dancing after he had a couple of drinks.
anyone waiting on line for Sunday? it's snowing now
For the Switch event? I might go down to the afternoon session tomorrow but I have a feeling it's going to be a royal pain in the ass room get in.
The second session

The one at like 3:30
My man! I'll try to hook you guys up with extra food/alcohol if I end up volunteering at a serving booth.

mooooose

If you drop the car and don't care for space, you could probably get a studio in Manhattan for around $1800.
Out of curiosity, is there any real benefit to living in Manhattan over Queens? I think I'd appreciate the space more than the convenience (having been conditioned to taking a 2 hour train ride EACH WAY every day, going to Queens will feel like nothing, I think).

Jhoan

Out of curiosity, is there any real benefit to living in Manhattan over Queens? I think I'd appreciate the space more than the convenience (having been conditioned to taking a 2 hour train ride EACH WAY every day, going to Queens will feel like nothing, I think).
It's pretty much that: convenience. You're in the center of all the major trains and have easy access to downtown Manhattan which generally convenient for most people to hang out at. I think the only downside is that (for me at least) the further uptown one lives, the longer it'll take to go into Queens and Brooklyn. It's why I have a harder time hanging out with friends who live deep in the outer boroughs. Otherwise, I can't complain about being only 20-25 minutes away from Times Square and 30 minutes away from Union Square. I've been thankful for the fact that most of the volunteering, con gigs, and freelance gigs that I've gotten have been in Manhattan or Wiilamsburg/Greenpoint.

I can't stress how useless having a car in the city is unless you plan on looking for a place in Brooklyn or Queens that would require driving. The inevitable amount of parking tickets and the amount of time spent looking for parking isn't worth it. Not to mention paying for insurance on top of rent, utility, Internet, phone, gas, and day to day expenses and it adds up pretty quickly. So I would say to take that into consideration and budget accordingly. A good chunk of your paychecks will be going towards rent.

Xun

How is NYC for a solo traveller? I was initially hoping to visit with a mate of mine this year, but it's looking likely I may just have to go by myself.

Jhoan

How is NYC for a solo traveller? I was initially hoping to visit with a mate of mine this year, but it's looking likely I may just have to go by myself.
I think it's pretty solid. There's always something to do/see at any given time so it depends on what you want to do/see depending on where you stay in the city. I think the subway system is fairly easy to learn coming from London so you should be fine. When would you be looking to visit?

Hmm, that might be a little early then again I'm trying to leave my job before the end of January

Lulubop

Yea, I have to break free. It's been so hard. 3 years at this shitty place. My bday is on Thursday, requested a few days off

Jhoan

guys, how was the switch event? did you both end up going?
I ended up passing on it since my brother woke me up at close to 11am. I checked Twitter and found out that all 200 wristbands were gone for the day from people who were there. Had we woken up at 8am, chances of getting in would have been good.

Pau

What are some good neighborhoods in west Brooklyn? Our lease is up soon and my boyfriend works in Brooklyn Heights and I'll probably be working in downtown Manhattan. I haven't really spent any time in Brooklyn though. We've got a maximum budget of $2000 for rent.

My biggest thing is being able to walk around late at night by myself and not worry. I've felt pretty safe in the two other neighborhoods I've lived in, the East Village and Yorkville, because of the amount of people around even past midnight. But Brooklyn seems a lot more residential.

Makai

What are some good neighborhoods in west Brooklyn? Our lease is up soon and my boyfriend works in Brooklyn Heights and I'll probably be working in downtown Manhattan. I haven't really spent any time in Brooklyn though. We've got a maximum budget of $2000 for rent.

My biggest thing is being able to walk around late at night by myself and not worry. I've felt pretty safe in the two other neighborhoods I've lived in, the East Village and Yorkville, because of the amount of people around even past midnight. But Brooklyn seems a lot more residential.
Dumbo is dead after dark. Or might as well get even closer and go with Brooklyn Heights. Both are expensive neighborhoods but you can find a place at that price.

Kisaya

I grew up in Cobble Hill on Court Street and it's super safe at night. You'd be fine in Boerum Hill and Carol Gardens as well. Brooklyn Heights is right next door, and you got the 2, 3, 4, 5, R, A, C, F and G trains in the area. The one thing is that it's super fucking expensive but you could possibly find a studio or 1br for your budget.

Shanlei91

guys, how was the switch event? did you both end up going?

I was prepped to leave at 6:30am to make the line and finally use the 2nd ave train, but something came up that morning and I didn't go.

According to a post on reddit, wristbands for the day were gone around 8/8:30.

commish

Jason Kidd murdered my dog in cold blood!
I grew up in Cobble Hill on Court Street and it's super safe at night. You'd be fine in Boerum Hill and Carol Gardens as well. Brooklyn Heights is right next door, and you got the 2, 3, 4, 5, R, A, C, F and G trains in the area. The one thing is that it's super fucking expensive but you could possibly find a studio or 1br for your budget.

Yeah, I was just going to say, those are some of the most expensive areas in Brooklyn these days. I lived in this area for 4 years but had to buy elsewhere because things just got out of control the last few years. I honestly think $2k for a 1br relatively near a subway might be pretty tough. But I haven't looked lately so who knows. All great neighborhoods and I would feel totally safe on 97% of those streets at night.

I would also check out things a little further out like Prospect Heights/Crown Heights/Fort Green (maybe) to save some monies while being close to where you need to be.

To the guy looking to move from LI to the city, as someone who's done the same:

I've lived in brooklyn for five years and now Queens with a car and a motorcycle. Parking sucks but after a few weeks you'll figure out the places you can park in your neighborhood. If the car's already paid for, don't let it deter you too much. If you're really in a pinch you can hit up craigs to rent someone's driveway or garage for about 150 a month. I was considering this but I find parking easily enough in Sunnyside now to make it not necessary. South Brooklyn was the only place where it was a nightmare and that was because it was a neighborhood of oldbies that were in bed by 6 PM.

The motorcycle got wrecked by people backing into it or pushing it down (whattya know the hipster cafe racer riders of Greenpoint weren't keen on a crotch rocket sitting on their streets). The car got punched in the bumper the first month I moved (after paying to replace it after a prior fender bender...), but never had an incident with it since.

So it's doable.

The rent is a different story, one bedroom at 1500 is impossible in nearly any neighborhood worth a shit. I had my heart set on brooklyn for a long time (if I had my way I'd be in Bed-Stuy or Clinton Hill but 1BRs were either extremely shoddy gut renos in brownstowns, or shoddy brand new construction respectively), but moving to Queens off the 7 has been a great decision in terms of living space, living comfort and commute. Plus I can hop onto the LIE in less than 10 minutes, even living in Greenpoint which is right next to the LIE it was an ordeal to get onto it during the weekends most of the time.

I ended up passing on it since my brother woke me up at close to 11am. I checked Twitter and found out that all 200 wristbands were gone for the day from people who were there. Had we woken up at 8am, chances of getting in would have been good.

I was prepped to leave at 6:30am to make the line and finally use the 2nd ave train, but something came up that morning and I didn't go.

According to a post on reddit, wristbands for the day were gone around 8/8:30.

ah, i was going both your impressions of the switch since i got it pre-ordered but i guess i can just read the articles online =)

Lulubop

Suggestions for a decent place in Manhattan to go drink, dance, and hear music from the 90s-00s?

Most dance places I know in Manhattan, you'd probably wanna drink elsewhere beforehand. Fat Buddah is probably your best bet. No Malice Palace, B O B Bar and 24/7 bar play the kinda music you're looking for but it might be hard to get a drink.

bob page

Damn Jhoan, nice work with the new OP! You were right on... still lurking but just took about a year off from posting. A ton of stuff happened in the past year including moving to a new place in Hell's Kitchen from Brooklyn, bad breakup, new job, etc, so I needed some time away. Penguin gave me the heads up that there might be a meet up next month? Definitely interested :D

Pau

Dumbo is dead after dark. Or might as well get even closer and go with Brooklyn Heights. Both are expensive neighborhoods but you can find a place at that price.

Yeah, I was just going to say, those are some of the most expensive areas in Brooklyn these days. I lived in this area for 4 years but had to buy elsewhere because things just got out of control the last few years. I honestly think $2k for a 1br relatively near a subway might be pretty tough. But I haven't looked lately so who knows. All great neighborhoods and I would feel totally safe on 97% of those streets at night.

I would also check out things a little further out like Prospect Heights/Crown Heights/Fort Green (maybe) to save some monies while being close to where you need to be.
Yeah, those neighborhoods seem like on the cusp of what's affordable for us. We're gonna try and see, otherwise look a little bit farther from Manhattan. I'm also looking into Kensington, Sheepshead Bay, etc. I just really want to get out of the tiny place we have on the UES. And no longer live with my sister. :/

Shanlei91

ah, i was going both your impressions of the switch since i got it pre-ordered but i guess i can just read the articles online =)

I preordered already too. Hoping the Nintendo Store has demo kiosks to try it out prior to launch so I know whether or not to cancel.

Fuchsdh

Yeah, those neighborhoods seem like on the cusp of what's affordable for us. We're gonna try and see, otherwise look a little bit farther from Manhattan. I'm also looking into Kensington, Sheepshead Bay, etc. I just really want to get out of the tiny place we have on the UES. And no longer live with my sister. :/

If you don't want tiny and/or expensive (and don't want other roommates besides yourselves) you're probably gonna' need to look further east.

TK-421

Most dance places I know in Manhattan, you'd probably wanna drink elsewhere beforehand. Fat Buddah is probably your best bet. No Malice Palace, B O B Bar and 24/7 bar play the kinda music you're looking for but it might be hard to get a drink.

Thank you for the suggestions! I think I'll start with Fat Buddah and see how it goes.

Top Bottom