• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYPD Cop Who Went on Rant Against Uber Driver Apologizes on TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

Syriel

Detective Patrick Cherry, of the NYPD, apologized on TV for his actions in yelling and screaming at a NY Uber driver after the driver honked at him.

The authenticity of the apology is left as an exercise for the viewer to determine.

The NYPD detective seen on video screaming and cursing at an Uber driver in a roadside tirade earlier this week apologized Friday for his actions, telling NBC 4 New York in an exclusive interview that he hopes to buy the driver dinner.

"I apologize. I sincerely apologize," said detective Patrick Cherry, whose tirade was captured by one of the car’s passengers and posted on YouTube, where it has been viewed more than 3 million times.

Cherry’s apology comes after the detective was stripped of his badge and gun and transferred out of the FBI's elite Joint Terrorism Task Force. Police Commissioner Bill Bratton also admonished Cherry after the video went viral online, saying “No good cop can watch that without a wince”, and the NYPD and independent Civilian Complaint Review Board have been investigating the exchange.

Cherry told NBC4 New York that the video, which shows him cursing at the driver and screaming, “How long have you been in this country?” misses what prompted the confrontation. He said the driver pulled up fast behind him as he was trying to park his unmarked patrol car on a West Village street Monday. The driver was honking and gesturing angrily, Cherry said.

That was when he turned his emergency lights on to “clarify the problem.” He said the driver then refused to turn over his license and registration, and that’s when Cherry lost his temper.

Cherry said that he is willing to take the department’s punishment, and is willing to do whatever is asked of him in his new role. He also says that the three-minute video doesn’t reflect the way he or his fellow men and women in blue carry themselves on a day-to-day basis.

The incident comes as New York Police officers are being trained in how to engage courteously with the public. Cherry said he feels badly that his behavior will reflect on a department that is working hard on its public image.

Full story (plus additional video):
http://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/loca...Cop-Video-Tirade-NYC-Detective-298585531.html

OT here:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1021027

Mother fucker please, you're only apologizing because you got caught on video tape and everyone saw it.

This dude needs to fuck all the way off.

neptunes

Yeah, right
oB0aI0N.png

Volimar

Dude should never get to wear a badge again. It's refreshing to see someone in law enforcement be held accountable. Now if they could just start doing it with the serious infractions like beating and killing people, that'd be great.

shira

DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME?

DO YOU UNDERSTAND ME?

Enjoy being a security guard for the rest of your life. Man how much does an NYC Dic make? LOL he just threw away 87k job.

Bsigg12

Get the fuck out dude. You're only trying to save face because you got caught being an asshole with authority. Fuck right off.

Weiss

Banned
Here, let me fix that.

"I'm sorry that I was caught. It's unfortunate that yet another instance of police abuse was caught on film, but frankly that thug should be happy he wasn't shot as that is my right as a police officer. Trust your police, and ignore that crushing weight on your face."

GK86

Homeland Security Fail
He also says that the three-minute video doesn’t reflect the way he or his fellow men and women in blue carry themselves on a day-to-day basis.

Actually, that is what I expect from the men and women in blue.

Ovid

I'm mad at you so I'm going to pull you over and harass you.

I mean this is NY, people honk their horns all the time.

Filth

I agree he was out of line but I love how if he didn't apologize he's a dick. And the fact he did apologize he's a dick. Lose / Lose.

Siegcram

I agree he was out of line but I love how if he didn't apologize he's a dick. And the fact he did apologize he's a dick. Lose / Lose.
Well, yeah. The video proves he's a dick (to say the least). That's the real him, not this staged shit.

PBY

Banned
He's a dick for what he did. Sometimes there's no coming back from that.

IISANDERII

"He also says that the three-minute video doesn’t reflect the way he or his fellow men and women in blue carry themselves on a day-to-day basis."

Sure doesn't; the incident lacked physical brutality!

_Ryo_

Somehow, I doubt the sincerity of his apology.
_
It couldn't be that he is sorry for himself that he is facing the consequences of his actions and not for acting that way in the first place. Not at all.

Actually, I'm sure that's exactly it.

He must really be kicking himself over this, lost his job. Lesson learned hopefully.

He hasn't lost his job. He's just been transferred to a different department. ~Maybe slightly less pay?

He's doing this apology to try and avoid losing his job, I figure.

Maybe I'm going crazy (and it's entirely possible), but there was a similar interview shown witht his guy where he was asked what he would say to the cab driver and he spent like a minute just sat there thinking and said something along the lines of telling him did nothing wrong..

It was on CNN yesterday. Really weird, it felt like this exact same interview too.

J10

Banned
So what should he do?

(not necessarily disagreeing with you, but curious by that statement in this context)

Give up his police salary and pension and dedicate the rest of his life to championing police reform and community outreach.

I feel like he should qualify what he means here: "He also says that the three-minute video doesn’t reflect the way he or his fellow men and women in blue carry themselves on a day-to-day basis." Because he was literally acting that way on a day, and it seemed like he's had a lot of practice.

davepoobond

you can't put a price on sparks
Give up his police salary and pension and dedicate the rest of his life to championing police reform and community outreach.

He didnt kill anyone, sheesh. People who kill someone don't even get that harsh of a punishment.

Are we really expecting police to be infallible or something? He apologizes and got punished in an appropriate way I would say.

Piggus

Mother fucker please, you're only apologizing because you got caught on video tape and everyone saw it.

This dude needs to fuck all the way off.

The guy is a jackass, but dude come on. Isn't that the case whenever anyone does something wrong? When people do something bad they very rarely apologize for it until they get caught. Not everyone is Abe Lincoln.

AxelFoley

Dude should never get to wear a badge again. It's refreshing to see someone in law enforcement be held accountable. Now if they could just start doing it with the serious infractions like beating and killing people, that'd be great.

This.

This dude gets demoted for yelling, but Eric Garner's murderer gets off.

FOH

If you want an apology to truly sound genuine, it can't be one that essentially goes, "yeah I was being an asshole but you guys don't have the full story."

It's too late for that, mother fucker. You would have been better off "taking the L" and all the blame that comes with it. Because the only thing that matters is what 3 million+ people saw, and that's that.

So yeah, he's not really sorry imo.

Enzom21

Choke a man to death on film, do nothing about it. Berate a guy on film, get stripped of gun and badge and actually apologize. The NYPD sure has its priorities straight!
And yes, I know it's not the same cop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom