• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYPD Cop Who Went on Rant Against Uber Driver Apologizes on TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
I genuinely can't stand cops. I think that the wrong kinds of people are attracted to police work, I think that police officers receive inadequate training, I think there's insufficient oversight within police forces, and I think that the police have far, far too much power and authority. And, personally, almost every police officer I know is an arrogant, uneducated, power-hungry asshole.

*BUT*...

I think the reaction to the video has been slightly disproportionate. The officer in the video is acting like a big, insulting asshole. But being a big asshole is a far cry from the routine police abuses that are much more worthy targets of public condemnation. The officer isn't hurling racial epithets, or making explicit, crude generalizations about the driver along racial/ethnic lines, or physically assaulting the driver, or issuing threats of physical violence, etc., all of which happen on a daily basis in NYC (and elsewhere). The officer is acting like a full-blown asshole and a petulant baby, but that's about it.

In these circumstances, his apology seems good enough for me. He's been embarrassed, publicly shamed, and I'm sure his career has been set back. That's plenty of recompense for a few minutes of yelling like a prick.

I'd rather we (i.e., the online rage brigade) focus our anger on juicier targets.

It's really sad that even when someone apologizes to something bad they've done the mob still doesn't care. Sure, the situation isn't 100% whole again but geez, some of these comments really paint a lot of posters who actively engage these discussions in a different light.

Newt

The situation makes more sense after finding out the guy didn't hand over his license/registration. I can definitely sympathize with the cop a little more.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Why is this bastard even being given air time! Fucking slime-ball lying bastard... god I'm so pissed off after watching that video.

mr2xxx

Banned
Totally believable, let's give him a chance I mean it's only his first mistake...... Oh wait... 20 something incidents, I'm sure he is sorry this time.

Weiss

Banned
It's really sad that even when someone apologizes to something bad they've done the mob still doesn't care. Sure, the situation isn't 100% whole again but geez, some of these comments really paint a lot of posters who actively engage these discussions in a different light.

It's probably because we've been dealing with decades of cops getting away with all manner of atrocities, to the point where any apology, let alone one as hollow as this man's which only came out weeks after being highly publicized.

I agree in most cases, but in this case I just don't buy his apology.

Like I said, his trying to shift blame doesn't sound like somebody who is genuinely sorry. After his xenophobic tirade, I need a bit more than "I'm sorry bu-bu-but."

But hey that's me. I think his punishment is sufficient and I can only hope I'm wrong and he will truly put forth an effort to be a better human being.

Tuck

Well, speaking in general terms and not specific to this case, apologies arent equal. Sorry isn't just a magic word that makes every bad thing you've done go away. In particular, half passed apologies or apologies that include "but really the other guy was to blame too" (like in this case) don't hold the same merit as one that is truly sincere.

Siegcram

He's a serial offender and the only reason this disingenuous excuse for an apology exists in the first place, is because this time he got caught. So no, I don't care. And neither should you.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.

The situation makes more sense after finding out the guy didn't have over his license/registration. I can definitely sympathize with the cop a little more.

stop-stop.gif

J10

Banned
Whilst that would be lovely, that sounds fairly disproportionate.

Asking cops in general to stop disproportionately targeting minorities for harassment is asking for too much. Asking one bad cop to change his life is asking too much. Asking the criminal justice system to indict and punish abusive cops is asking too much. Apparently, there is no reasonable request I can make.

Why are you so surprised? Giving an apology is nice, but it isn't a cure all solution; you can't undo the consequences of your actions with an apology unfortunately.

The guy got caught doing something completely unprofessional and unacceptable considering his power as a police officer; I'm honestly surprised he still has a job after treating someone like that.

He's a serial offender and the only reason this disingenuous excuse for an apology exists in the first place, is because this time he got caught. So no, I don't care. And neither should you.

Seems like you don't want to accept an apology.
Why are you so surprised? Giving an apology is nice, but it isn't a cure all solution; you can't undo the consequences of your actions with an apology unfortunately.

The guy got caught doing something completely unprofessional and unacceptable considering his power as a police officer; I'm honestly surprised he still has a job after treating someone like that.

Never said it was a 100% fix. Please re-read my comment before posting.

It's just surprising seeing people so against an apology.

AxelFoley

Glad you guys checked these cop apologists.

Abuse by police, especially against minorities, is rampant. Saying "I'm sorry" just doesn't cut it.

Its more sa d that you believe

"FUCK YOU IM A COP, WHERE YOU FROM IMMIGRANT? YOU AINT WORTH SHIT" is just something that happens accidentally when it perfactly fits the mentality of the dozens of police stories we seem to be getting every week.

You dont just fucking accidentally abuse your power and talk down to a foreigner like a piece of shit.

Thats just wjats in the guy coming out for all to see.

If there was never video, there would never be an apology, so fuck him.

If rolling a stop sign gets you punched in the head and coke plantedin your trunk, then verbal abuse and disrespecting the trust of the public for you to do your job should reault in some hurt feelings at a minimum.

Fuck that guy.

Are they against an apology? Or do they just think his apology rings hollow?

Do you think he would have apologized if he hadn't got caught?

I think a lot of people just realize that he's only apologizing because he has to, rather than because he wants to.

J10

Banned

I think a lot of people just realize that he's only apologizing because he has to, rather than because he wants to.

Nah bro, his apology is totally sincere and he would have written the cab driver a nice note of regret even if this hadn't made the news.

Its more sa d that you believe

"FUCK YOU IM A COP, WHERE YOU FROM IMMIGRANT? YOU AINT WORTH SHIT" is just something that happens accidentally when it perfactly fits the mentality of the dozens of police stories we seem to be getting every week.

You dont just fucking accidentally abuse your power and talk down to a foreigner like a piece of shit.

Thats just wjats in the guy coming out for all to see.

If there was never video, there would never be an apology, so fuck him.

If rolling a stop sign gets you punched in the head and coke plantedin your trunk, then verbal abuse and disrespecting the trust of the public for you to do your job should reault in some hurt feelings at a minimum.

Fuck that guy.

To be fair, unless called out there would be very, very little apologies. Do you believe Jonah Hill would have apologized for his homophobic slur if he wasn't called out? You can be called out and still be sincere.

Ventara

Wait, dude lost his job? Nice! I wasn't expecting any sort of punishment for him, so I'm glad I was wrong there.

And yeah, his apology doesn't ring true to me.

Edit:

He didnt lose his job, he just got taken off the FBI task force he was on.

Oh. Well, small steps, I guess.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
Seems like you don't want to accept an apology.

because it isn't a fucking apology if you watch the video. Sure he said he would apologize, but he is also making lot of bullshit in that 9min video. He hasn't accepted that he was wrong. At the end of the video he also thinks that it was an over reaction from the public. lol fucking asshole

Weiss

Banned
To be fair, unless called out there would be very, very little apologies. Do you believe Jonah Hill would have apologized for his homophobic slur if he wasn't called out? You can be called out and still be sincere.

Who cares? He's a cop and needs to be held to a higher standard, and harassing civilians is not in the job description.

JDSN

Banned
Right there.
Looked for it, I saw some victim blaming and an atempt to make us question the character of the victim. Which means that the driver had no criminal records nor pictures on facebook doing gang signs so they couldnt do the characater assasination properly like they usually do.

And apology that has a "but" in there somwhere is no apology.

Apologizing because you're getting a lot of shit as a consequence, isn't being sincere. Apologizing because you HAVE to isn't being sincere.

The cop wasn't apologizing because he was sorry, he's apologizing because he got caught.

Edit: And sorry, I don't really follow celeb news so I'm drawing a blank at that Jonah Hill thing. I'd expect someone saying gay slurs while working would lose their job too though.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
He got reassigned. He's still a cop.

Apologies to the eventual families who will be effected by the tragedy ahead of time but I suspect this thread will be bumped years from now when is asshole pops off on someone because he was still allowed to do "policing".

YoungHav

Banned
See? #notallcops are bad people. This sweet man is under a lot of stress and needed to make sure he made it back home in one peace.

Thank you NYPD for keeping us safe (from brown and black people, who I assume are all scoundrels).

Apologizing because you're getting a lot of shit as a consequence, isn't being sincere. Apologizing because you HAVE to isn't being sincere.

The cop wasn't apologizing because he was sorry, he's apologizing because he got caught.

Edit: And sorry, I don't really follow celeb news so I'm drawing a blank at that Jonah Hill thing.

Jonah Hill called a paparazzi a "faggot" and apologized after publicly. The video is on the Internet. Is he sincere? Would he have apologized if he wasn't caught? He seemed to say it pretty naturally.

By your logic any time someone is caught doing bad the apology is never sincere. This will cause you a lot of issues down the road or there's some amorphous logic going on here.

Crud

Banned
Wait, dude lost his job? Nice! I wasn't expecting any sort of punishment for him, so I'm glad I was wrong there.

And yeah, his apology doesn't ring true to me.

Edit:

Oh. Well, small steps, I guess.

He lost his job? I thought they moved him?

lacinius

The guy got caught doing something completely unprofessional and unacceptable FOR THE 34th TIME considering his power as a police officer; I'm honestly surprised he still has a job after treating someone like that.

Just thought could use a bit of context.

Jonah Hill called a paparazzi a "faggot" and apologized after publicly. The video is on the Internet. Is he sincere? Would he have apologized if he wasn't caught? He seemed to say it pretty naturally.

By your logic any time someone is caught doing bad the apology is never sincere. This will cause you a lot of issues down the road or there's some amorphous biased logic going on here.
Jonah Hill could be genuinely sorry for all I know or he could only be sorry because he got caught. He's an actor, he you know, acts; I really know next to nothing about the situation. I'd rather stick to talking about this specific situation of which this thread is about, do you believe the cop is being sincere here from his actions and apology?

To me, an apology is something that occurs when you realize you've done something wrong and are genuinely sorry for your actions. If it only occurs after you've received a shit load of media attention, then I'm going to doubt how sincere you're being

I feel that the cop in that video is only apologizing because he got caught. If he hadn't gotten caught he'd still be out their acting completely unprofessionally and terrorizing citizens.

I agree he was out of line but I love how if he didn't apologize he's a dick. And the fact he did apologize he's a dick. Lose / Lose.

He lost when he pulled someone over, threatened them and treated them like absolute shit.

Damage control doesn't change anything. I for one accept his apology but he absolutely shouldn't be in law enforcement.

He clearly seems to view the citizenry as "the enemy". That's a dangerous mentality to have as law enforcement.

By your logic any time someone is caught doing bad the apology is never sincere. This will cause you a lot of issues down the road or there's some amorphous logic going on here.

Most public apologies aren't sincere. It's typically damage control.

JDSN

Banned

Jonah Hill said:
I said the most hurtful word I could think of at that moment and, you know, I didn't mean this in the sense of the word...I didn't mean it in a homophobic way. And I think that doesn't matter, you know? How you mean things doesn't matter. Words have weight and meaning and the word I chose was grotesque and no one deserves to say and hear words like that.

Wheres the part of this in which Hill says "..but, to be honest the guy is kinda responsible for it"?, there is no apology if part of it includes an atempt to discredit a video in which you make xenophobic comments and abuse your authority.

Not that im surprised that you try to equate this to this apology tho, it seems every that involves insults towards minorities has you bringing up words like " mobs", or political correctness all to quick.

This asshole should have taken notes from Jonah Hill's apology, as Jonah never tried to backpedal into blaming the other party, or try to downplay it in any way.

Ok? Are we done talking about Jonah now? Pls?

Jonah Hill could be genuinely sorry for all I know or he could only be sorry because he got caught. He's an actor, he you know, acts; I really know next to nothing about the situation. I'd rather stick to talking about this specific situation of which this thread is about, do you believe the cop is being sincere here from his actions and apology?

To me, an apology is something that occurs when you realize you've done something wrong and are genuinely sorry for your actions. If it only occurs after you've received a shit load of media attention, then I'm going to doubt how sincere you're being

I feel that the cop in that video is only apologizing because he got caught. If he hadn't gotten caught he'd still be out their acting completely unprofessionally and terrorizing citizens.

When do you separate public pressure from pressure from just friends and family? Getting *caught* seems to be the issue with you. Is that just being called out? If so, you must not take many apologies seriously.

Wheres the part of this in which Hill says "..but, to be honest the guy is kinda responsible for it"?, there is no apology if part of it includes an atempt to discredit a video in which you make xenophobic comments and abuse your authority.

Not that im surprised that you try to equate this to this apology tho, it seems every that involves insults towards minorities has you bringing up words like " mobs", or political correctness all to quick.

I quoted Jonah Hill because WikerBasket believes when caught the apology isn't sincere. Jonah Hill was caught using that word then apologized when caught. Is his apology more sincere? They both acknowledge they did wrong and understand that. Yes. The police officer deflected a bit of blame. Does that remove all sincerity?

I won't even respond to your political correctness portion as it's really just a jab to try and derail this conversation.

Choke a man to death on film, do nothing about it. Berate a guy on film, get stripped of gun and badge and actually apologize. The NYPD sure has its priorities straight!
And yes, I know it's not the same cop.

Victim had *just* enough white in his complexion to get a reasonable response for his case...

Any darker and he'd have been thoroughly buggered...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom