• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYPD Cop Who Went on Rant Against Uber Driver Apologizes on TV

Status
Not open for further replies.
rlkfZuS.gif

He's over 30 complaints, imagine all of the terrorizing he's done Nonreported. He also deflects blame, some apology. good thing he was punished because he will never be sorry.

When do you separate public pressure from pressure from just friends and family? Getting *caught* seems to be the issue with you. Is that just being called out? If so, you must not take many apologies seriously.
Every apology has to be examined separately because they all have their own unique circumstances. If you only apologize AFTER you get caught, then obviously there's a lot more chance of you being insincere.

It's a moot point in this case though, since the officer has a long standing history of abusing his authority in this manner.

Looking at this case in particular, there's a lot of evidence suggesting that his apology is insincere. Do you disagree?

If you believe his apology is sincere, can you point out the details that have lead you to believe this?

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
Jonah Hill called a paparazzi a "faggot" and apologized after publicly. The video is on the Internet. Is he sincere? Would he have apologized if he wasn't caught? He seemed to say it pretty naturally.

By your logic any time someone is caught doing bad the apology is never sincere. This will cause you a lot of issues down the road or there's some amorphous logic going on here.

Or maybe this guy's incredibly long and storied record of offenses and behavior unbecoming an officer makes his apology ring hollow to those who know the backstory of the situation. Rather than a calculated pogrom against public apologies, maybe there's more to this than one isolated incident in the case of Detective Cherry.

Every apology has to be examined separately because they all have their own unique circumstances. If you only apologize AFTER you get caught, then obviously there's a lot more chance of you being insincere.

It's a moot point in this case though, since the officer has a long standing history of abusing his authority in this manner.

Looking at this case in particular, there's a lot of evidence suggesting that his apology is insincere. Do you disagree?

If you believe his apology is sincere, can you point out the details that have lead you to believe this?

I have no reason to think it's not sincere. I don't use a person's history as a way to say they can't be sincere. If he continues his asshole ways later on then I was wrong. Nothing is gained from saying it's not sincere, at that point it's just childish. He made an apology, let's hope he can better his ways.

Or maybe this guy's incredibly long and storied record of offenses and behavior unbecoming an officer makes his apology ring hollow to those who know the backstory of the situation. Rather than a calculated pogrom against public apologies, maybe there's more to this than one isolated incident in the case of Detective Cherry.

That's fine if you find it hollow but then it just makes it very difficult for you to be taken seriously when these situations come up. It sounds more vindictive than accepting any possible change that occurred.

esms

Choke a man to death on film, do nothing about it. Berate a guy on film, get stripped of gun and badge and actually apologize. The NYPD sure has its priorities straight!
And yes, I know it's not the same cop.

I was actually gonna say this, but then I remembered that the cop that killed Garner apologized.

Insincerely, of course, but still.

YoungHav

Banned
That rant was so fucking classic. That idiot ticked all the boxes for what someone would picture a shitty cop would say. His dialogue seems like a parody. What a fucking idiot. I didn't watch yet did he apologize for his 35 other charges?

Vilam

Maxis Redwood
Wow, they actually punished the guy? Genuinely surprised and pleased.

What a farce of an apology though... yeah, I'm sure you'd love to have dinner with that guy. Get real.

"He also says that the three-minute video doesn’t reflect the way he or his fellow men and women in blue carry themselves on a day-to-day basis."

Funny... that's exactly what it does.

Reeks

Dude should never get to wear a badge again. It's refreshing to see someone in law enforcement be held accountable. Now if they could just start doing it with the serious infractions like beating and killing people, that'd be great.

truth.

I have no reason to think it's not sincere. I don't use a person's history as a way to say they can't be sincere. If he continues his asshole ways later on then I was wrong. Nothing is gained from saying it's not sincere, at that point it's just childish. He made an apology, let's hope he can better his ways.
Would he have apologized for his actions if he had not been caught?

I think you know the answer to that, and I think that explains how sincere his apology is. He's not sorry about what he did, he's sorry that he's facing the consequences of getting caught.

Edit: Anyway, I don't really know how to respond if you've looked at all the evidence and have come to the conclusion that he's being sincere. Honestly, boggles my mind.

Would he have apologized for his actions if he had not been caught?

I think you know the answer to that, and I think that explains how sincere his apology is. He's not sorry about what he did, he's sorry that he's facing the consequences of getting caught.

Edit: Anyway, I don't really know how to respond if you've looked at all the evidence and have come to the conclusion that he's being sincere. Honestly, boggles my mind.

You have a loaded question because it's very difficult to answer. Would anyone apologize if they got away with something? Would you apologize for breaking a window if you weren't caught? We all know the answer. You would probably say you would because you're upstanding but then again we're taking your word. How can we know your apology is sincere or if you're sincere about apologizing?

It's very muddy. You can argue he's not sincere but he did apologize.

I hope you follow this logic well or else you're just being petty with this person. Whenever you see someone do something bad and you call them out remember to not take what they say as true because they've just been caught and that's why they're apologizing.

Weiss

Banned
You have a loaded question because it's very difficult to answer. Would anyone apologize if they got away with something? Would you apologize for breaking a window if you weren't caught? We all know the answer. You would probably say you would because you're upstanding but then again we're taking your word. How can we know your apology is sincere or if you're sincere about apologizing?

It's very muddy. You can argue he's not sincere but he did apologize.

I hope you follow this logic well or else you're just being petty with this person. Whenever you see someone do something bad and you call them out remember to not take what they say as true because they've just been caught and that's why they're apologizing.

Also he's a cop who harassed civilians and has previous instances of abuse on his record.

You know. That might influence the belief that his apology is insincere.

Also he's a cop who harassed civilians and has previous instances of abuse on his record.

You know. That might influence the belief that his apology is insincere.
Does this mean after X amount of offenses a person is no longer good or any acts or words of regret are sincere? Yes, that was worded that way for a reason.

1 apology = 34 police misconduct charges. You heard it here first.

I believe you have not been reading my comments entirely. I never said this is remedies the situation 100%. It's a step. Did you think an apology would fix this? Did I? You can't quote me that I did.

J10

Banned
Multiple people here have explained it already. You're disagreeing for the sake of it, apparently. Or you're one benefit-of-the-doubt-giving-ass-motherfucker.

Multiple people here have explained it already. You're disagreeing for the sake of it, apparently. Or you're one benefit-of-the-doubt-giving-ass-motherfucker.

No one's really explained it, more of he has a history of abuse so any apology now is considered insincere (which is the argument). Which is kind of ironic considering how media and certain people treat victims of police abuse.

J10

Banned
That is the explanation. You don't want to accept it. Cool. But this asshole ain't a victim, so don't compare him to victims.

That is the explanation. You don't want to accept it. Cool. But this asshole ain't a victim, so don't compare him to victims.

I would rather discuss why they feel it's not sincere not just accept it. It's how discussions work. A comment each isn't sufficient if you want to discuss an issue.

The logic is the same. Nothing incorrect about saying people are using his past the same way media outlets use the past to justify police abuse on a person. While one is an actual victim you can see the same procedure being done here.

Mr.Swag

Banned
Cops: Should be harder to become one, and easier to lose it.

Everyone knows that one guy that's been trying to get hired on the force for years, maybe if police had the correct amount of turnover, shitbags wouldn't be able to have an entire career of shit to retire from, and more people would get the opportunity to police.

Also, maybe have a college degree requirement.

It's really sad that even when someone apologizes to something bad they've done the mob still doesn't care. Sure, the situation isn't 100% whole again but geez, some of these comments really paint a lot of posters who actively engage these discussions in a different light.

I think youre just an optimistic person and maybe even a little naive. Do you really think that most people who apologize in these cases are truly sorry for what they have done? I dont. I think they are sorry they got caught.

He had plenty of chances to learn from past videos of terrible cops and turn a new leaf but he didnt and now look at him.

His apology is very likely to be a formality and nothing else.

Edit: Personally, i try to examine myself and see my shortcomings and mistakes so i usually end up apologizing before one is even expected of me.

I think youre just an optimistic person and maybe even a little naive. Do you really think that most people who apologize in these cases are truly sorry for what they have done? I dont. I think they are sorry they got caught.

He had plenty of chances to learn from past videos of terrible cops and turn a new leaf but he didnt and now look at him.

His apology is very likely to be a formality and nothing else.

It could be a formality. I don't disagree here. It could be very well he was caught. What does not accepting the apology accomplish? It's a step, it does not remedy the situation 100%. You don't have to believe him but, again, what does berating a person apologizing accomplish? I'm not advocating people congratulate him and send him baskets of cheese, just that maybe be more open to the possibility that someone -- even if they've committed 34 other acts of abuse -- can feel bad for the actions they have done.

J10

Banned
I would rather discuss why they feel it's not sincere not just accept it. It's how discussions work. A comment each isn't sufficient if you want to discuss an issue.

The logic is the same. Nothing incorrect about saying people are using his past the same way media outlets use the past to justify police abuse on a person. While one is an actual victim you can see the same procedure being done here.

No amount of word jumbling will change your mind. It's clear enough to the majority of people here.

You go ahead and accept that a career bully just up and started to change his attitude all of a sudden and offered up a sincere apology. Just stop pretending that there exists some argument that might change your mind. You're being dishonest. I don't believe you.

No amount of word jumbling will change your mind. It's clear enough to the majority of people here.

You go ahead and accept that a career bully just up and started to change his attitude all of a sudden and offered up a sincere apology. Just stop pretending that there exists some argument that might change your mind. You're being dishonest. I don't believe you.

The old "it's pointless to argue because you won't listen". Are we at that part now? Should I say the same about you?

My mind's not 100% set in that I won't damn him or congratulate him. I'm at the point where I'll take his apology as sincere but acknowledge he has much to do to make himself better.

Two Words

The apology is bogus because of the 1001 stipulations around it. Just because you are given an apology does not mean it should be accepted. He could have easily just said this, and it wouldn't take 9 minutes of humming and hawing.

"My behavior was unacceptable and I knew better than that, but chose to act otherwise. The driver did also behave in a manner less submissive prior to the recording, but I do not mean to excuse myself with that. The driver not being cordial was not and should not be a reason for me to intimidate a fellow American citizen. My remarks to his citizenship were also uncalled for. In light of this, I am volunteering to attend anger management so that I can better serve the people of this city."

YoungHav

Banned
I hope this becomes a trend.

"I'm sorry for planting drugs on minority suspects. Quotas cause so much pressure and I just want to get home safe at night."

andthebeatgoeson

nKCAFf9.png

It wasn't a one-way street because he said they just moved up a bit so they wouldn't get stuck by traffic.

Unless, it was a side street which is possible.

Carry on.
Many big cities have one way streets with parking on both sides. Separate the real drivers from those who can't adequately parallel park.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom