• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Comedian Steve Rannazzisi (The League) lied about 9/11 escape

Status
Not open for further replies.

Squalor

Eh, The League was the first (I think) project that Mark Duplass was on to get mainstream success and attention.
Sure, it exposed him to a wider audience.

But it's still a minor work in his catalog.

The show will end, and pretty much no one will give another thought to it.
What a sacko.

I didn't realize that Pete was married to Jenny in real life.
She'd never marry a guy who'd like about 9/11 like that.

Ugh what the fuck? People who make stuff like this up infuriate me...
Meh. People lie. Hopefully he doesn't get raked over the coals for this.

Um, no, this is inexcusable. You don't lie about narrowly escaping the terrorist attacks at the WTCs to gain popularity. Anyone who does this is absolute pond scum.

Slayven

Duplass has been making movies for over a dozen years.

He also has a fantastic HBO show. The League is his most minor of works.

I don't know which of the three unfunny guys from Workaholics you are referring to, but none of them are getting starring roles.

Sure, Lajoie could bounce around minor gigs until the end of time. But even that would be a step down from his co-starring role on The League.

Will he will just have to make bank off Taco Corp's IPO

Blader

OK? Seems scummy but I don't really care if the guy makes me laugh and he's not actively harming anyone. I've heard many BS 9/11 stories.

And I will as I did with Brian Williams, maintain that lies can become truths to people. Memory even entirely fictional accounts can become real.

Though I wonder how this original story started and if it was an active lie on his part.
Lol, yes, I'm sure he totally convinced himself that he had worked in a nonexistent office all those years and narrowly escaped a pretty unforgettable terrorist attack that everyone in the country can pinpoint to where they were and what they were doing when it occurred. Damn rusty memory!

Amory

i hope whenever he says something mildly suspicious now someone in the group is like "yeah just like you were in the south tower amirite"

I want to be upset about people being generally scummy and lying, but this won't affect him as much as it should.

If he couldn't get anything past The League and BWW TV Spots, then I don't think this will matter much.

Halcyon

I feel like most of you people have probably told lies in your lives.

For him I think it just was something that snowballed.

I sometimes say I pitched in little league because I can throw a baseball really well. I don't know why I say this but I definitely never played baseball.

People believe it though because I played basketball and football growing up.

Come clean GAF. Tell everyone your lies.

IronRinn

I sometimes say I pitched in little league because I can throw a baseball really well. I don't know why I say this but I definitely never played baseball.

Save it for the November Anonymous Confessions thread.

Yeah, lying about having a mean curve is exactly like fabricating a story about escaping from the twin towers on 9/11.

i feel almost bad for him.

he probably told the story once, which was an ass move, but then didnt expect to have to recount it over and over.

fucked up but, idk. shit.

This is almost too dumb to be a plot on his show. A show about incorrigible assholes who consistently do stupid shit. And yet he actually did it.

His soul is full of Yoba Goya, and will be forever unclean.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
Yeah, I wouldn't be shocked if Buffalo Wild Wings drops him. They'll do the math, depends on how much traction this story gets.

It's a really strange thing to lie about, since stuff like that can be verified. Especially since he has doubled down on it over the years. Sounds like one of those things that grew, I wonder why he lied about it to begin with.

Halcyon

Yeah, lying about having a mean curve is exactly like fabricating a story about escaping from the twin towers on 9/11.

The point is that he at some point wasn't famous and told this lie. He was a shitty person but probably wanted to feel important to whoever he was telling it to. Friends family etc. Nobody has any reason to call him on it.

Then he got famous and he's interviewed along the podcast circuit and they hear the story which he then has to perpetuate. I'm sure every single time his heart sinks when it's brought up and he had to keep it going.

Yes it's shitty but he's a human being. I'm not going to act flabbergasted about it.

I met two people at work that both said they were scheduled for the 9/11 flights but changed their plans. Both talked about it changing their life and crap. Could be true but probably not.

I had lunch in the restaurant at the top 3 weeks before 9/11 but I don't talk about it like it changed my life.

Did anyone see this documentary when it was on Netflix?

qY54KV6.jpg

Just disgusting how people can make these stories up.
The woman that documentary is based on took it a hell of a lot further than Rannazzisi, though.

Revolver

I wonder if the show will reference this in some way? Also, New York Comic Con should be interesting when the whole cast gets together for a Q & A.

Takuan

Don't know who he is and haven't heard of The League, but this wouldn't stop me from enjoying his work. Pretty scummy thing to do, regardless.

sangreal

This is an interesting phenomenon that seems somewhat common, so I don't know that I can really fault him. It's just like Brian Williams, or Hillary's story of taking sniper fire

Shanlei91

Sonic handles my blue balls
Next you'll tell me Seth McFarlane and Mark Wahlberg weren't actually supposed to be on the planes and James Woods didn't almost prevent it all from happening. What is reality?!

I wonder if the show will reference this in some way? Also, New York Comic Con should be interesting when the whole cast gets together for a Q & A.

That could potentially turn into a shit show.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I met two people at work that both said they were scheduled for the 9/11 flights but changed their plans. Both talked about it changing their life and crap. Could be true but probably not.

I had lunch in the restaurant at the top 3 weeks before 9/11 but I don't talk about it like it changed my life.

I wonder about stuff like this. Do they actually believe it or over the years have they twisted the story in their own minds and think it's true? Maybe it started out they were scheduled to fly to New York that week and then grew from there. Memory is weird.

Edit: He is tweeting about the whole thing now. Basically doing the apology tour.

KHarvey16

I'm sure after 10 years had passed he thought he'd got away with it.

I'm actually willing to bet he felt pretty shitty every time someone brought it up. Or at least I hope he did. It's one of those things that's easy to imagine snowballing from a shitty lie he told as a nobody to this thing that threatened his career if he came clean.

Switch Back 9

a lot of my threads involve me fucking up somehow. Perhaps I'm a moron?
As an Auschwitz survivor, I am disgusted that someone would lie about going through that kind of horrific tragedy for personal gain.

I hear you. I didn't survive the Great Fire of London to have some asshole like this take advantage of a tragedy.

D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
while I don't find the 911 event amusing. I find this amusing.

it's like a story line that would actually happen to his character on the league.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom