• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Comedian Steve Rannazzisi (The League) lied about 9/11 escape

Status
Not open for further replies.
People still haven't learned that if you have a fandom, don't lie?
Because your lie will be uncovered, it is only a matter of time.

I worked on the 12th Floor of 1WTC.
When people know that they asked me about 9/11.
That week I was covering the 8-4 shift for a guy who was on vacation but that day I was late because I stopped to vote (it was primary day in NYC).
I never made it out of Queens.

Not an exciting story but it at least its the truth.

chadskin

Imagine if Rannazzisi and Brian Williams would team up for a news program. These guys would be everywhere a story breaks.

Arkeband

Banned
I wonder if he had any Stolen Honor bits.

Honestly this kind of behavior stems from America glorifying and valorizing anything resembling war. While he probably still could have made up that he escaped a tragedy, the fact that the tragedy is attached to ra-ra Iraq War 'support the troops' fever probably assists in getting people in on that bandwagon. "I'm one of you, I was there when we were attacked, thank you for defending us."

I wonder if he had any Stolen Honor bits.

Honestly this kind of behavior stems from America glorifying and valorizing anything resembling war. While he probably still could have made up that he escaped a tragedy, the fact that the tragedy is attached to ra-ra Iraq War 'support the troops' fever probably assists in getting people in on that bandwagon. "I'm one of you, I was there when we were attacked, thank you for defending us."

Yeah I tried to tell people I was a Katrina victim for a while, but no one cared.

Yikes. There's no coming back from that, especially not in the comedy community, who will all be ripping him to shreds. What an asshole.

There is always coming back in the comedy community. Outside of being a Cosby. His friends will rag on him for a few months, he might have some hecklers or quietly bow out of a few dates. That's it. This will not harm his career at all. It will likely be a punchline in his act in the next year.

stupei

Did anyone see this documentary when it was on Netflix?

qY54KV6.jpg

Just disgusting how people can make these stories up.
The woman that documentary is based on took it a hell of a lot further than Rannazzisi, though.

First thing I thought of. It was pretty good.

I wonder if the show will reference this in some way? Also, New York Comic Con should be interesting when the whole cast gets together for a Q & A.

Oh, man.

G0523

Uh wow. That's a pretty big thing to lie about. Can't believe he did that since he's the main character of The League. He deserves the sacko! Hopefully this won't affect the show too much even though this is the final season.

Entropia

No One Remembers
How the hell did it take this long for this to happen? I mean, The League is a somewhat popular show, and he seems to have been telling this story for a long time. How did NO ONE else not call him on this BS?

Zeus Molecules

illegal immigrants are stealing our air
This sounds like an episode of the league. Like Kevin lying about being at ground zero 9/11 in order to meet "_______" celebrity football player who had a 9/11 charity.....except I don't think the writers for the league would be so stupid to risk the joke.

This sounds like an episode of the league. Like Kevin lying about being at 9/11 in order to meet "_______" celebrity football player who had a 9/11 charity.....except I dont think the writers for the league would be so stupid.

They had Jenny lie about having breast cancer to get out of baking cookies recently.

The last season wasn't very good, really.

Blastoise

Banned
The biggest news I got from this thread is that Nick Kroll is loaded...

I guess rich dicks was more of a documentary for him. lol

I died on the Titanic so it makes me really sick to hear bullshit like this thrown around.

I realize you are joking but that does not excuse the insensitive nature of your post. As someone whose entire family perished during the Cretaceous Extinction Event, I am deeply offended.

I just listened to the section of the Marc Maron pod. Made my fucking blood boil.

To this day the people I work with who evacuated still have a hard time talking about it.

Not saying everyone has to be morose but you can just tell when you talk to ANYONE who was ACTUALLY there..they usually give a melancholy answer to any of the prodding questions they get asked. Like..change the subject, please.

Right when you thought this couldn't get more awkward:

Yz4jV4x.png

Pete's dad was a firefighter who died in 9/11

Yeah, that's ridiculous. It was kind of awkward because Pete was just on the You Made It Weird podcast this week and after discussing how his dad died in 9/11, said something to the tune of, "Yeah, it changed everyone's lives. Like I think Steve Rannazzisi actually quit his career and started comedy because he was in one of the buildings when the plane hit."

Really awkward in hindsight.

hey_it's_that_dog

benevolent sexism
Right when you thought this couldn't get more awkward:

Yz4jV4x.png

Pete's dad was a firefighter who died in 9/11

Is Steve supposed to know this guy's dad died? If he didn't know, then how is he supposed to interpret that tweet?

Rannazzisi fucked up big time but I'm not going to add this misunderstanding to the case against him.

Is Steve supposed to know this guy's dad died? If he didn't know, then how is he supposed to interpret that tweet?

Rannazzisi fucked up big time but I'm not going to add this misunderstanding to the case against him.

Why else would Davidson talk about going to lunch with his dad in the same tweet? Base level deduction skills would have been enough to figure it out or at least be suspicious enough to look it up.

The League is a weird show, its a bunch of comedy nerds and Steve Rannazzisi in a show about fantasy football? Doesn't suit Kroll or Scheer IMO. I've never liked Rannazzisi, (probably because I'm still an angry nerd who the jocks picked on in high school) he seems like your generic tough-east coast-sports dude.

I guess I expect things like this from some one like him basically because I don't like his face. LOL

The League is a weird show, its a bunch of comedy nerds and Steve Rannazzisi in a show about fantasy football? Doesn't suit Kroll or Scheer IMO. I've never liked Rannazzisi, (probably because I'm still an angry nerd who the jocks picked on in high school) he seems like your generic tough-east coast-sports dude.

I guess I expect things like this from some one like him basically because I don't like his face. LOL

Man you're the first person I've ever heard call kevin tough

Dram

Buffalo Wild Wings drops Steve Rannazzisi as its spokesperson
Though he’s been forgiven by both FX and SNL’s Pete Davidson, Steve Rannazzisi is still feeling the heat following his admission that he was not, in fact, in one of the World Trade Center towers on 9/11. Specifically, The League star has fallen victim to the spicy, tangy burn of a Caribbean jerk drumette, as Buffalo Wild Wings announced it has dropped him as its spokesperson. In a statement on Thursday, the wing chain said it has “decided to discontinue airing our current television commercials” featuring the actor, thus reminding the world that corporations won’t even entertain the concept of a little controversy when their money is at stake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom