• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: He’s a Local Pillar in a Trump Town. Now He Could Be Deported.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

He's a Local Pillar in a Trump Town. Now He Could Be Deported.

27carlos-web03-blog427.jpg

WEST FRANKFORT, Ill. — Ask residents of this coal-mining crossroads about President Trump's decision to crack down on undocumented immigrants and most offer no protest. Mr. Trump, who easily won this mostly white southern Illinois county, is doing what he promised, they say. As Terry Chambers, a barber on Main Street, put it, the president simply wants ”to get rid of the bad eggs."

But then they took Carlos.

Juan Carlos Hernandez Pacheco — just Carlos to the people of West Frankfort — has been the manager of La Fiesta, a Mexican restaurant in this city of 8,000, for a decade. Yes, he always greeted people warmly at the cheerfully decorated restaurant, known for its beef and chicken fajitas. And, yes, he knew their children by name. But people here tick off more things they know Carlos for.

How one night last fall, when the Fire Department was battling a two-alarm blaze, Mr. Hernandez suddenly appeared with meals for the firefighters. How he hosted a Law Enforcement Appreciation Day at the restaurant last summer as police officers were facing criticism around the country. How he took part in just about every community committee or charity effort — the Rotary Club, cancer fund-raisers, cleanup days, even scholarships for the Redbirds, the high school sports teams, which are the pride of this city.

”I think people need to do things the right way, follow the rules and obey the laws, and I firmly believe in that," said Lori Barron, the owner of Lori's Hair A'Fairs, a beauty salon. ”But in the case of Carlos, I think he may have done more for the people here than this place has ever given him. I think it's absolutely terrible that he could be taken away."

On Feb. 9, Mr. Hernandez, 38, was arrested by federal immigration agents near his home, not far from La Fiesta, and taken to a detention facility in Missouri. The federal authorities confirmed that he remained in custody, but would not comment on the precise reason for or timing of his arrest.

Immigration officials noted that Mr. Hernandez had two drunken-driving convictions from 2007, a circumstance that could make him a higher priority for deportation. Friends of his say he crossed into the United States from Mexico in the late 1990s and had started but never completed efforts to legalize his status.

As Victor Arana, a lawyer for Mr. Hernandez, began pressing in court to seek release for Mr. Hernandez on bond until his case can be heard, the community has rallied around him, writing pleas for leniency to the officials who will decide his fate.

Tom Jordan, the mayor of West Frankfort, wrote that Mr. Hernandez was a ”great asset" to the city who ”doesn't ask for anything in return." The fire chief described him as ”a man of great character."

The letters have piled up — from the county prosecutor, the former postmaster, the car dealer, the Rotary Club president. In his note, Richard Glodich, the athletic director at Frankfort Community High School, wrote, ”As a grandson of immigrants, I am all for immigration reform, but this time you have arrested a GOOD MAN that should be used as a role model for other immigrants."

This is an uncomfortable stance for a place like West Frankfort. This county, Franklin, backed Mr. Trump with 70 percent of the vote, largely on hopes, people here say, that he could jump-start the coal industry, which has receded painfully here over decades. Illegal immigration was by no means the most pressing issue for this overwhelmingly white area, residents say.

Still, many say they concur in principle with Mr. Trump's wish to be more aggressive in blocking those who seek to sneak across the border. Things grew more tangled when principle met West Frankfort's particular reality, in the form of Carlos.

Many people said they had no idea Mr. Hernandez lacked legal status until word of his arrest began spreading.

”I knew he was Mexican, but he's been here so long, he's just one of us," said Debra Johnson, a resident. She said she saw a distinction between ”people who come over and use the system and people who actually come and help."

Mr. Hernandez's lawyer said that a hearing was expected in his case on Wednesday and that he was hoping Mr. Hernandez might be released on bond as any legal action went forward.

His wife, Elizabeth Hernandez, who attained United States citizenship late last year, according to Mr. Arana, said she was struggling to sleep, since her husband was detained. The couple has three sons, the youngest 2.

”What I'm really worrying about," she said in a telephone interview, ”is what am I going to tell my three boys if he can't stay here?"
Tim Grigsby, who owns a local printing shop and considers Mr. Hernandez one of his closest friends, has been helping to lead the efforts to bring Mr. Hernandez back to West Frankfort. He said he had always known that Mr. Hernandez did a lot around town. But he said that even he did not grasp the scope of it all until the letters started flowing in.
Mr. Grigsby said he still would vote for Mr. Trump. One never agrees with everything a politician does, ”but maybe this should all be more on a per-case basis," he said. ”It's hard to be black and white on this because there may be people like Carlos."

I've since stopped trying to understand the mental gymnastics some Trump supporters employ to support their views. It just gives me headaches

Like this shit

Tim Grigsby, who owns a local printing shop and considers Mr. Hernandez one of his closest friends, has been helping to lead the efforts to bring Mr. Hernandez back to West Frankfort.

Mr. Grigsby said he still would vote for Mr. Trump.

You know what the best thing he could have done to help his friend would have been? Not voting for Trump

cilonen

"There may be people like Carlos".

That moment of brutal fucking realisation that your actions have a wider consequence.

rjinaz

”I knew he was Mexican, but he's been here so long, he's just one of us," said Debra Johnson, a resident. She said she saw a distinction between ”people who come over and use the system and people who actually come and help."

Such racist bullshit. Mexican immigrants are some of the hardest workers I have ever seen.

Mr. Grigsby said he still would vote for Mr. Trump. One never agrees with everything a politician does,

Well of course...

“I knew he was Mexican, but he’s been here so long, he’s just one of us,” said Debra Johnson, a resident. She said she saw a distinction between “people who come over and use the system and people who actually come and help.”

Such racist bullshit. Mexican immigrants are some of the hardest workers I have ever seen.

Yeah, holy fuck what a racist asshole.

"One of the good ones!" "One of us!" Jesus fucking Christ.

Zen Aku

The only thing I have to say for the people of that town. "Fuck off"

You voted for the baffoon, did you think it wasn't going to affect someone you know? He's never going to bring the coal jobs back, but he's sure as hell going to take away your friends and family.

Man God

Non-Canon Member
This happened in my community during the Obama years with a Chinese restaurant chef that everyone loved. He got it sorted out somehow.

KoopaTheCasual

Well of course...
Yea, I don't even feel Schadenfraude from stories like this. It's just pure anger and disgust. "Oh, I didn't realize that the imaginary boogeyman I made up in my head had no bearing on the real world, and my actions would lead to the suffer of the people I considered as friends/good people! I still have faith in Trump tho!"

Fuck.off.

Glix

Well of course...

"We don't have a problem with Mexican immigrants, just with the false narritive that we swallowed hook line and sinker about Mexican immigrants"

"We love Carlos but would still vote for Trump because he is bringing our coal jobs back!"

Gaffers get mad when we judge these people.

Sad thing is she probably thinks that's the least racist thing she has ever said, she's probably proud of it.

It's actually somewhat impressive she manages to be that fucking racist on her way to compliment a Mexican acquaintance. It's almost skillful.

Kyuur

Sad how jaded and bitter GAF is sometimes. The community rallies around someone they love and most of the comments are hateful and spiteful.

Boney

Banned
His wife barely squeaked by with the citizenship.

I'm glad people are mobilized and it really shows how much the people are manipulated into believing fictional enemies.

I stand with Amy Goodman's remark of how "Americans are deeply caring" but empathy is unable to nurture when mainstream media has deformed all public discourse.

Zophar

Sad how jaded and bitter GAF is sometimes. The community rallies around someone they love and most of the comments are hateful and spiteful.

It is literally the community's fault someone they love is now suffering. They did this to him.

Immigration officials noted that Mr. Hernandez had two drunken-driving convictions from 2007

Wouldn't the convictions imply that the courts had already given out a sentence and that the man had therefore, complied with the sentences?

Fuck off with this "he's no saint" bullshit.

Boke1879

For some reason "One of the good ones" argument infuriates me much more than just a simple racist backlash.

Yea I read this story earlier and that's what stuck to me too. "One of the good ones'. Like fuck off. Who gives you the authority to be the judge and jury on that?

JCG

And this is a guy who wife and children are U.S. citizens. Imagine what will happen to those who don't have that luxury. Which also means he probably should have regularized his status much earlier, to be honest, although that doesn't excuse the flawed nature of a policy that indiscriminately seeks to deport both dangerous criminals and individuals who pose no real threat.

KoopaTheCasual

For some reason "One of the good ones" argument infuriates me much more than just a simple racist backlash.
It's because it's filled with bullshit self-righteousness.

It's one thing to be racist and be like "yeah, im a dick, what of it?" It's another thing entirely to be a racist piece of shit and think, "wow, I'm such a good person."

Something something cake and eat it too.

Derwind

It's easier to hate people or their situation if you have never once in your life been exposed to or affected by it.

Empathy simultaneously the easiest and hardest thing to adopt.

"Rallies"? People in the community would still vote Trump according to the article. That's hardly anyone's definition of rallying unless it means "saying backhanded compliments full of racist undertones while not actually doing anything about it".

"We don't have a problem with Mexican immigrants, just with the false narritive that we swallowed hook line and sinker about Mexican immigrants"

"We love Carlos but would still vote for Trump because he is bringing our coal jobs back!"

Gaffers get mad when we judge these people.

Really rallying around him... while they constantly backhanded insult his race, and go out of their way to clarify that they still support the politician who's demonizing people like him.

RDreamer

The community rallies around someone they love and then in the same breath said they'd do the thing that forced them to rally again and again.

How the fuck should we feel about that? I mean if the community was like "Yeah we fucked up here" that's one thing, but "Yeah we fucked up here and we'd totally do it again" is just... insanity.

Glix

Sad how pathetic the troll posts are.

I have a feeling no one ever rallies around you.

But you got me mad so mission accomplished.

Dope avatar.

Boke1879

Well yea, when they say they'll still vote for the man who clearly said he'd do all this shit.

They are bigoted as fuck. They see Carlos as "one of the good ones"

Dierce

A community that deserves our respect? Those people who voted for orange dipshit are worthless trash.

Zackat

I feel bad for the man that got detained. The guys twisting themselves in knots to try and rationalize who they voted for in the face of this can go kick rocks.

rjinaz

Ok yes fine, I am glad they care about one of their own. I'm just ticked that apparently they haven't actually learned anything. It just applies to him because he's one of the good ones.

Lmao being a minority and voting for trump is incredibly dumb, like wtf do you think was gonna happen?? They were gonna let you stay cause you're one of "the good ones"?????

Hahahah. No. They will take your support then show you the godamn door or throw you over the wall you just helped build.

Kyuur

It is literally the community's fault someone they love is now suffering. They did this to him.

So they should be forced to sacrifice all their other beliefs and vote the other way? This is the example of making the best of a 2 party system. They're actively fighting who they voted for on this issue. Whether it will work says something about the political system rather than the people.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom