• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: He’s a Local Pillar in a Trump Town. Now He Could Be Deported.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly... I think it's based on ignorance. Dude doesn't realize what's really going on outside his own bubble... Most people don't.

Ignorance is not an excuse to continue to perpetuate "he's one of the good ones" racist mentalities on her way to compliment her arrested acquaintance, sorry.

Trakdown

I'm shocked at some of the responses here. Am I the only who doesn't see racism on display here as much as small town ignorance?

Hi. Spent my life in small towns before I moved to San Francisco. Grew up in one, moved to a smaller one (<5000).

Those two things aren't mutually exclusive, in fact the latter often stems from the other. Neither is anything to be proud of and I always facepalm when I hear people talking about small towns as some whimsical "aw shucks" model of the heartland to excuse stuff like this. The size of your town is no excuse.

Also this:

“I knew he was Mexican, but"

Tells you everything you need to know. Literally the first thing he is defined by is his race to these people and lets you know where their values are.

UberTag

Honestly... I think it's based on ignorance. Dude doesn't realize what's really going on outside his own bubble... Most people don't.
Ignorance doesn't excuse voting for a racist. These people don't deserve nice guys with fajitas like Carlos.
They deserve to suffer for the mistake that they made. Perhaps they'll learn not to believe everything they hear from their curated media sources. Probably not, though.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
Racism as a result of ignorance is still racism.

I'm shocked at some of the responses here. Am I the only who doesn't see racism on display here as much as small town ignorance?

They didn't know he was illegal
They welcomed him into their community
They are writing letters trying to get him out.

I'm not saying they deserve sympathy but call it for what it is.

And yes they voted for their own interests first. Shocking.

Racism is ignorance. You're simply hashing through whether it's passive or active.

No matter how vitriolic or sympathetic the replies are here, the reality is these townsfolk would vote 99/100 times to keep "the good ones" out if it means a guarantee that no bad ones slip through.

They're not sorry about it, even after discovering that it inconvenienced them by ruining the life of a valued member of the community. I'm not sure that there is a moral to this story. Conservative exceptionalism (like Congressmen trying to block or dismantle government subsidized healthcare despite themselves, their families, and most government employees enjoying the benefits of such a system) is not new.

If they were somehow able to save this one man from deportation, it would only further reinforce that the system is working as intended and targeting the right people. They suffer no real consequence win or lose. This isn't The Grinch or Scrooge discovering the magic of Christmas.

I find it sad. These people were fed a narrative that illegal Mexicans were just coming here and abusing food stamps and housing and stealing from the system. They never had a reason to question that rhetoric because they never saw it, but so many people said it... At some point you'll believe shit because you heard it so many times.

It's a big problem with people in general. We go along with so much because it doesn't effect us personally, and because of that we don't question it.

Carlos isn't outside the norm... He is the norm. The rhetoric is the outlier's.

Well said.

i-am-going-to-a-eat-you-nih-he-tells-4516847.png

Probably my favorite strip from the 2016 election.

Sad how jaded and bitter GAF is sometimes. The community rallies around someone they love and most of the comments are hateful and spiteful.

They shot at a person from a distance, they then confirmed afterwards they had shot and killed their friend. And yet, you still have one saying "I still would have taken the shot."

They deserve neither sympathy or empathy.

The real lesson from this story is actually about people like Carlos.

If you are someone like Carlos, such as an undocumented immigrant, muslim, jewish, LGBT, etc etc etc, Trump voters have never been and are not your friend.

They will rarely ever look out for your interests.

They will gladly ignore your plight.

Heed this advice.

Most of the comments I've seen are pretty much, 'he broke the law being an illegal, he deserves it no matter how good he is".

I wonder how many crimes these people have committed but never answered for. They should go turn themselves in, after all, the law is the law!

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
Ignorance is not an excuse to continue to perpetuate "he's one of the good ones" racist mentalities on her way to compliment her arrested acquaintance, sorry.

Ignorance doesn't excuse voting for a racist. These people don't deserve nice guys with fajitas like Carlos.
They deserve to suffer for the mistake that they made. Perhaps they'll learn not to believe everything they hear from their curated media sources. Probably not, though.

I think understanding where the ignorance comes from gives a better understanding how to combat it.

The guy who says he'd still from Trump is ignorant as fuck... he never thought Carlos would be an illegal... and why is that? Because he believed the lies he'd been told for YEARS that illegals were a certain way.

For sure he didn't think he knew any illegals, because well.. he probably never saw the so-called freeloaders he'd heard about.

In the end, I think it'll sink it to these people that maybe they need to look outside their bubble and realize that not everything is how political parties try to paint situations.

I work with a lot of immigrants, and a lot of them are racists as fuck when the first come over... and it's interesting to watch as they work in a multi-cultural setting how they change over the years once they find out all the things they were told about groups of people weren't true.

I could be angry at the townfolk for being naive and ignorant.. but I just really can't. I feel sorry for them. Because someone has to get hurt for them to get woke.

keuja

Sad how jaded and bitter GAF is sometimes. The community rallies around someone they love and most of the comments are hateful and spiteful.

But that community holds some responsibility by voting for a racist and putting him into power.
Now that they won't get their fajitas, we're supposed to pity and support them?

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Victim blaming, holy shit.
I'm not saying he should be deported. I'm just wondering why the process wasn't completed? Is it super expensive or hard to complete? I'm not familiar with the American system. If it is deliberately hard to become a legal citizen through the approved pathway then that needs to be fixed otherwise there will be more grief as people are taken away from their communities for being illegal even though they tried to become legal.

rjinaz

I'm not saying he should be deported. I'm just wondering why the process wasn't completed? Is it super expensive or hard to complete? I'm not familiar with the American system. If it is deliberately hard to become a legal citizen through the approved pathway then that needs to be fixed otherwise there will be more grief as people are taken away from their communities for being illegal even though they tried to become legal.

It's extreme challenging especially if you aren't here like on a green card or something.

Most undocumented would love to become citizens. Just imagine, not having to fear that at any moment you will be arrested and then taken away from your family and home you've known for years or decades. It's not like people are just lazy.

Hip Hop

he crossed into the United States from Mexico in the late 1990s and had started but never completed efforts to legalize his status
Immigration officials noted that Mr. Hernandez had two drunken-driving convictions from 2007,
Oh.

No one to blame but himself.

Dalek

Hey-great idea!

The guy went above and beyond taking care of his community and they still 'unknowingly knew' what was going to happen.

Unless they are ready to go above and beyond to help that beloved community member, Fuck them.

edit: after further reading. Fuck them.

Oh hey one of the good ones. Fuck the rest of em' though. Oh your town across the country has a good one? Fuck them too!

It's great that they are rallying behind him, but common son they're still ridiculous and don't learn. Maybe this makes them feel good, but at the end of the day they'll still be like "Oh well, should have come in legally".

Well, citizens of this small Illinois town, we have all had at least a few rude wake up calls these last few months. Some are responsible for the ones they got, like you.

Oh, DUI. Multiple DUIs. Well, yeah, but original point still stands. I wonder why THIS guy was chosen for this piece, though.

Kyuur

Once again, they have no sympathy for undocumented immigrants. This isn't a political view they hold. They have sympathy for Carlos and for Carlos only.

Check again -- this is clearly not the case in the view of the person leading this initiative who I was quoting. He is using their local case as an example of why undocumented immigrants on the whole should be handled case-by-case.

And once again, their election of Trump has directly resulted in Carlos being arrested. Even if they didn't 100% agree with it (even though they kinda do considering some of their comments regarding "those Mexicans who only come here to take advantage"), their vote for the man also meant a vote for this policy. They have to live with that and they should take responsibility of their own actions.

So if America didn't have a two-party system and there was another candidate that campaigned on many similar ideas but not this immigration policy, who do you think they would have voted for?

Someone earlier advocated they should have simply not voted; I think voting for the policies they most heavily agree with and then fighting against the ones they disagree with, not apathy, is the right path with the system that is in place.

There are plenty of allies who are pledging to protect undocumented immigrants. Reserve your sympathy for them and hey, maybe even the people being deported, and not these two-faced racist hypocrites.

I am hardly advocating sympathy for anyone but the affected family, I just find GAF's "all-or-nothing" approach to Trump supporter redemption a bit testing. Literally everytime someone who voted for him comes out against him in the news, there are pages of people screaming about how ignorant they were, how hypocritical they are being. There is no celebration of small victories for reason and justice, only unceasing demand for complete reform and rejection of anything but.

cdyhybrid

Check again -- this is clearly not the case in the view of the person leading this initiative who I was quoting. He is using their local case as an example of why undocumented immigrants on the whole should be handled case-by-case.

So if America didn't have a two-party system and there was another candidate that campaigned on many similar ideas but not this immigration policy, who do you think they would have voted for?

Someone earlier advocated they should have simply not voted; I think voting for the policies they most heavily agree with and then fighting against the ones they disagree with, not apathy, is the right path with the system that is in place.

I am hardly advocating sympathy for anyone but the affected family, I just find GAF's "all-or-nothing" approach to Trump supporter redemption a bit testing. Literally everytime someone who voted for him comes out against him in the news, there are pages of people screaming about how ignorant they were, how hypocritical they are being. There is no celebration of small victories for reason and justice, only unceasing demand for complete reform and rejection of anything but.

What small victories? This dude is going to get deported and these people will continue to vote Republican. There is nothing to celebrate here.

akira28

But that community holds some responsibility by voting for a racist and putting him into power.
Now that they won't get their fajitas, we're supposed to pity and support them?

they are the victims here, after all.

What small victories? This dude is going to get deported and these people will continue to vote Republican. There is nothing to celebrate here.

you know, racism being over, civil rights, the slow arc of justice, baby steps to change. those small victories.

edit: like how those baby steps forward became moon leaps backward as soon as Trump got in and certain groups felt "safe" to come out into the light again.

Nepenthe

People are hard on Trump supporters because Trump's campaign came couched in rhetoric that is racist and xenophobic towards people with qualities out of their control, nevermind the lack of tenable policy the GOP has put forth on other issues with which to even make a decision on at all. To some people- mainly minorities- populist bigotry is a no-go. Full stop. It is immediately disqualifying from deliberation of choices come voting time, even if you promise the world on a silver platter in other areas. It's like if a dude is an admitted child rapist. You don't vote for a child rapist even if they've got the best damn tax plan you've ever seen.

But to around half of the white population of this country, eehhhhh, fuggit, you know?

Clearly they'll throw minorities' lives under the bus if it means being lied to and willfully misled about their economic concerns. Hell, one of the people in the article would still vote for Trump despite what Trump has done to his friend. This is proof these people really and truly- at the end of the day- could give far less of a fuck about Carlos than he does towards his fucking ungrateful community that he's worked within for so long.

And no, a two-party system isn't an excuse either. Yes, two options cannot fully account for millions of viewpoints. But it's impossible for any political system to do so. The point is to work together and to reach compromise, which minorities have to do all the time because America is a conservative country that refuses to properly reconcile with its sins. And in general, I highly doubt black people- if given the chance- would vote into power a candidate that would like to see white people fry. But man, put white people up to the same damn task and they drop the fucking ball. And we're supposed to feel sorry for them because "What choice did they have?!"

The moral choice. The choice to not pull the fucking lever.

In general, I need Trump voters and their sympathizers to stop trying to wiggle them out of the responsibility of what they've done. The threat of Carlos being deported is their fault. They need to admit to that shit.

Dude Abides

Banned
I think the stuff about how he had started the process to become legal then stopped is probably bullshit. I'm not 100% sure, but unless there's an amnesty I don't think you can try to become a legal resident unless you leave first.

Also I'm in the camp that thinks his two DUIs make him a lot less sympathetic.

Haly

One day I realized that sadness is just another word for not enough coffee.
If some of you consider this a victory, small or not, I don't even want to see your idea of a loss.

Kyuur

It is a victory in the sense that the Pope's stance on homosexuality is a victory. Catholics will still be catholics, but hopefully they will be more progressive in that regard. Politicians reflect the desires of their base, so if more republicans see that illegal immigrants are not threats to them and actually great contributors, that is a good thing.

I'm not arguing that there is a net positive here; you are very well right that he may be deported and its sad and frustrating it had to come to this for them to realize it. Hopefully his legal team comes through. I just don't think that cursing these people in response to an earnest attempt to help for their hypocrisy is productive in any way.

cdyhybrid

It is a victory in the sense that the Pope's stance on homosexuality is a victory. Catholics will still be catholics, but hopefully they will be more progressive in that regard. Politicians reflect the desires of their base, so if more republicans see that illegal immigrants are not threats to them and actually great contributors, that is a good thing.

I'm not arguing that there is a net positive here; you are very well right that he may be deported and its sad and frustrating it had to come to this for them to realize it. Hopefully his legal team comes through. I just don't think that cursing these people in response to an earnest attempt to help for their hypocrisy is productive in any way.

That's the thing though - trying to keep this one guy from getting deported while saying they'd still vote for Trump isn't attempting to help at all.

Darknight

I think the stuff about how he had started the process to become legal then stopped is probably bullshit. I'm not 100% sure, but unless there's an amnesty I don't think you can try to become a legal resident unless you leave first.

Also I'm in the camp that thinks his two DUIs make him a lot less sympathetic.

Yea. Its really tough to find a "legit" way to get legal status. Its very complicated and only few countries out of the world, its citizens have some leverage. Salvadorian's "TPS" thing for instance.

So maybe Carlos was trying but hit a dead end to his goal. I know plenty of people who have tried and couldnt get it because multiple reasons.

About his DUI, I dont know how many years he has been here but maybe he was a dumb 20yr old at one point here in the States and was caught driving while the influence. He fucked up....twice! Immigrants, specially those undocumented know not to break any and all rules. Avoid causing trouble and getting stopped by cops. If you are careless, you will get caught and fined, along with some history like Carlos.

So yea he messed up but seems like the past few years, he's been an outstanding resident of his state. It would be F'ed up to kick him out after what he's done for his community.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Crazy right? How GAF points out how that very same community is responsible for the situation they are rallying against, and outright says they would create again. Yeah, GAF is the problem here.

Yeah this isn't what's happening bro, I hate to break it to you. Nobody quoted in that article has had an actual change of heart. Have they pledged to protect undocumented immigrants against ICE raids? Have they advocated for immigration reform? Have they donated or become involved in organizations to protect undocumented immigrants? The answer to all of these is no. All Carlos gets is a handful of letters and some RESOUNDING endorsements like "I knew he was Mexican, but he wasn't like those DIRTY Mexicans!" They want their Fajita guy back because he was THEIR Mexican.

That isn't how it works in any realm of reality. You don't vote for a deranged, documented racist and wannabe dictator because he whispers lies to your ears and think "Yeah I'll just fight him on what I don't like about him!"

This isn't the shade of gray you think it is. This is no victory, because they have had no change of heart. In the very article you have people offering racist backhanded compliments and "yeah I'd still vote Trump anyway".

If they show a genuine change of heart I'd look at them in a different manner. But this ain't it.

Occam

"I am all for immigration reform, but this time you have arrested a GOOD MAN that should be used as a role model for other immigrants."

"I knew he was Mexican, but he's been here so long, he's just one of us"

himmlerspeechunx0j.jpg

"This is something that is easily said: "The Jewish people will be exterminated," says every Party member, "this is very obvious, it is in our program -- elimination of the Jews, extermination, will do." And then they all turn up, these 80 million good Germans, and every one of them has his decent Jew. "Of course, it's quite clear that the others are pigs, but this one is one first-class Jew." " -Heinrich Himmler, Reichsführer-SS, speech before the SS leadership cadre in Posen, 4 October 1943, bemoaning how ordinary Germans don't understand that every last Jew must be eliminated

Hi. Spent my life in small towns before I moved to San Francisco. Grew up in one, moved to a smaller one (<5000).

Those two things aren't mutually exclusive, in fact the latter often stems from the other. Neither is anything to be proud of and I always facepalm when I hear people talking about small towns as some whimsical "aw shucks" model of the heartland to excuse stuff like this. The size of your town is no excuse.

I am not trying to excuse this behavior. Ignorance breeds racism but angrily going around calling everyone racist(even if you're 100% correct) isn't going to solve anything. These people don't think they are racist(they're wrong). They welcomed him for 10 years I'd like to think there's some capacity for tolerance and acceptance in them. I bet some of them voted Obama.

I come from an Eastern European family and my grandparents have said many racist comments about black and LGBT people around me. While I called them out on it I know for a fact they've never interacted with those groups. Their entire knowledge is based on every outdated stereotype that ever existed.

I am not sure if anger is the best weapon against ignorance that's all. It's best reserved for the Richard Spencer types.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom