• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: He’s a Local Pillar in a Trump Town. Now He Could Be Deported.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, at least they admit they think fajitas are more valuable than brown people.

It's more dumb they voted thinking Trump will bring coal jobs back.

Sounds like they didn't know he was illegal and I think they are all writing letters to try and get him out.

I see more ignorance not knowing what a typical illegal alien in the US is, they think they are all criminals like Trump says.

Maybe if they met more people like Carlos.

If they met more people like Carlos they'd move to a 'safer' neighbourhood.

Am I supposed to feel sympathy for these people now they realized that someone they love was deported because of their actions? But they actually didnt learn anything?

cPgyw9a.png

Underrated post. This is word-for-word what happened here.

rjinaz

Am I supposed to feel sympathy for these people now they realized that someone they love was deported because of their actions? But they actually didnt learn anything?

Yes apparently we are supposed to be proud of those people because they actually care about a human being that does good in their community. Only so much caring though.

Cerium

The animals were all at work weeding turnips under the supervision of a pig, when they were astonished to see Benjamin come galloping from the direction of the farm buildings, braying at the top of his voice. It was the first time that they had ever seen Benjamin excited–indeed, it was the first time that anyone had ever seen him gallop. "Quick, quick!" he shouted. "Come at once! They're taking Boxer away!" Without waiting for orders from the pig, the animals broke off work and raced back to the farm buildings. Sure enough, there in the yard was a large closed van, drawn by two horses, with lettering on its side and a sly-looking man in a low-crowned bowler hat sitting on the driver's seat. And Boxer's stall was empty.

The animals crowded round the van. "Good-bye, Boxer!" they chorused, "good-bye!"

"Fools! Fools!" shouted Benjamin, prancing round them and stamping the earth with his small hoofs. "Fools! Do you not see what is written on the side of that van?"

That gave the animals pause, and there was a hush. Muriel began to spell out the words. But Benjamin pushed her aside and in the midst of a deadly silence he read:

"'Alfred Simmonds, Horse Slaughterer and Glue Boiler, Willingdon. Dealer in Hides and Bone-Meal. Kennels Supplied.' Do you not understand what that means? They are taking Boxer to the knacker's!"

A cry of horror burst from all the animals. At this moment the man on the box whipped up his horses and the van moved out of the yard at a smart trot. All the animals followed, crying out at the tops of their voices. Clover forced her way to the front. The van began to gather speed. Clover tried to stir her stout limbs to a gallop, and achieved a canter. "Boxer!" she cried. "Boxer! Boxer! Boxer!" And just at this moment, as though he had heard the uproar outside, Boxer's face, with the white stripe down his nose, appeared at the small window at the back of the van.

"Boxer!" cried Clover in a terrible voice. "Boxer! Get out! Get out quickly! They're taking you to your death!"

All the animals took up the cry of "Get out, Boxer, get out!" But the van was already gathering speed and drawing away from them. It was uncertain whether Boxer had understood what Clover had said. But a moment later his face disappeared from the window and there was the sound of a tremendous drumming of hoofs inside the van. He was trying to kick his way out. The time had been when a few kicks from Boxer's hoofs would have smashed the van to matchwood. But alas! his strength had left him; and in a few moments the sound of drumming hoofs grew fainter and died away. In desperation the animals began appealing to the two horses which drew the van to stop. "Comrades, comrades!" they shouted. "Don't take your own brother to his death! " But the stupid brutes, too ignorant to realise what was happening, merely set back their ears and quickened their pace. Boxer's face did not reappear at the window. Too late, someone thought of racing ahead and shutting the five-barred gate; but in another moment the van was through it and rapidly disappearing down the road. Boxer was never seen again.

Boney

Banned
What "beliefs"? Believing an orange clown who promises magical tonics to give them back or preserve their jobs?

Read their comments on the article. They don't have some altruistic opinion on undocumented immigrants. They still want to do their shit labeling of "those dirty Mexicans who only come here and take advantage". They only care about Carlos because they know him personally and consider him to be "one of the good ones". But they clearly don't care for him enough to actually change their vote. Because despite their fantasy "beliefs", the only thing their president has done so far is 1) not help them at all, 2) take away one of their esteemed members of their community.
The way I see it, trump's immigration ban for them wouldn't apply to any "of the good ones", because they are indiscernible from Americans. They instinctively know this, yet years of festering propaganda has made them have a warped reality.

I commend their effort as the article says to raise awareness of his deportation despite any misgivings I might have due to supporting Trump. If anything, it's slightly encouraging to see, as it shows they're not fundamentally deplorables as one would like to believe.

Immigration rights isn't even talked about in liberal media. Goodman and her producers being arrested and brutally beaten by police outside the RNC in 2008 and then having an MSNBC wonder why he wasn't arrested while sitting at the journalist box. If we don't even have a bare minimum from the left, what can we ask for the right?

Sad how jaded and bitter GAF is sometimes. The community rallies around someone they love and most of the comments are hateful and spiteful.

They are the reason he's in that position to begin with! A wife is without her husband, three sons without their father, and the townsfolk are so far gone they actually think the coal jobs are gonna come back so they're "sorry, not sorry" this happened. Those jobs are never coming back, they've gone the way of the town crier, bowling alley pinsetter, lamplighter, switchboard operator, and gandy dancer, but they're so far head up ass, that they'll Believe anything the Orange Hobgoblin tells them, even when the evidence is right in front of them showing them what a huge sack of shit he is. But yeah, GAF are the ones being hateful and spiteful.

This is like how lots of people are against gay marriage until they have one of their close relatives come out. Hopefully Carlos will get to come back to his community, and his story will make people question what's going on. Hopefully...

Trakdown

I certainly don't. Maybe if you don't want blanket deportations, you don't vote for the guy who wants to build a physical division between your country and another one.

I'm also more than a little tired of the crocodile tears from people who got exactly what they voted for and bitch that they aren't exempt from it. On the bright side, Coal's not going to be making a comeback anytime soon so, hey, great job guys. You cut out a piece of your community and you don't even get the 30 pieces of silver. Maybe next time don't believe that the reality tv star billionaire heir gives a 10th of a fuck about your little town he hadn't heard about before the election and you can at least keep some of your dignity.

They also probably support the immigration ban from those seven countries, you know maybe you stopped another "Carlos" from coming to this country.

TheOMan

Tagged as I see fit
Sad how jaded and bitter GAF is sometimes. The community rallies around someone they love and most of the comments are hateful and spiteful.
LOL, it is the direct fault of this community that this is the situation they find themselves in. They cared only about themselves until it directly affected them.or someone they know. Surely you can understand the reaction here.

Lois_Lane

Right so if they are so racist why didn't they run him out of town in the 10 years he lived and worked there?

Because he was just one, light-skinned, and acted like them. They probably wouldn't be saying the same thing about a black guatemalan who couldn't get rid of their accent. Lord forbid if they were in the LGBTQ or *gasp* an outspoken liberal.

If they were racists, they would've hung him on a tree.

You. . . I can't tell if you are joking or not.

rpg_fan

They'll learn nothing from this and insist that all the other ones are still bad. Never in a million years would a Trumpet have enough introspection to think that maybe it's happening to lots of Carlos's across the nation.

Right so if they are so racist why didn't they run him out of town in the 10 years he lived and worked there?

So they could say they had a "mexican friend". Now the balance of their lives is all messed up and something needs to be done about it. What is next if this isn't rectified, two Mexicans in town?

The way I see it, trump's immigration ban for them wouldn't apply to any "of the good ones", because they are indiscernible from Americans. They instinctively know this, yet years of festering propaganda has made them have a warped reality.

I commend their effort as the article says to raise awareness of his deportation despite any misgivings I might have due to supporting Trump. If anything, it's slightly encouraging to see, as it shows they're not fundamentally deplorables as one would like to believe.

Immigration rights isn't even talked about in liberal media. Goodman and her producers being arrested and brutally beaten by police outside the RNC in 2008 and then having an MSNBC wonder why he wasn't arrested while sitting at the journalist box. If we don't even have a bare minimum from the left, what can we ask for the right?
They would vote for Trump again, there is nothing encouraging to see here. They have learned nothing and only consider Carlos "one of the good ones". I'm also going to ignore your rambling about liberal media and the left.

So they should be forced to sacrifice all their other beliefs and vote the other way? This is the example of making the best of a 2 party system. They're actively fighting who they voted for on this issue. Whether it will work says something about the political system rather than the people.

Uh no. Their sorry beliefs involve them
thinking that brown people aren't allowed in America. And their so called "beliefs" makes them racist as fuck. So yeah fuck them. So shut up with this stupid belief nonsense, cause you looking right stupid with this.

Glix

Is this a serious question?

Guy moves to town, locals are skeptical.

He ingrains himself as best he can, going out of his way to constantly support the town and the cops and organizations hoping to be accepted.

Eventually, after YEARS, they finally start accepting him as an "almost equal"

But if he bought the biggest house in town, or had a bunch of his relatives move to the town too... then you might have seen what you are looking for

So they should be forced to sacrifice all their other beliefs and vote the other way? This is the example of making the best of a 2 party system. They're actively fighting who they voted for on this issue. Whether it will work says something about the political system rather than the people.
Well they decided to keep their black lung deaths, polluted rivers and deport their mexican buddy rather than... what have they gotten in exchange? I assume the coal industry must've gotten a boost at least.

Why else would you vote for a guy that seems to be giving you nothing and taking everything?

One or two token minorities are desirable so you can point to the Mexican restauranteur or the black teacher as proof that, just because you voted for Trump, you're not a racist.

Don't want too much diversity though, you still have to raise your kids in that neighbourhood.

nuluWW6.png

Aaron

I wish one of the major news channels would let Americans know that 'one of the good ones' is actually horribly racist. Because of course you're saying that the majority of a person's race are sub-human. Fox News wouldn't do it for obvious reasons, MSNBC would just be ignored as usual, but maybe Wolf could get really blitzed one night on CNN, and say something that's actually true.

Veins

Unconfirmed Member
Why didn't he complete the process of getting legalised? Seems like he had plenty of time? I know it sucks but it seems like he didn't really help himself very much there.

Lois_Lane

He is calling the other guy on his terrible statement. "If you aren't chasing them out of town or hurting them, you aren't racist." Unless the other guy was being sarcastic and then i don't know.

Trump's America, man. Can't trust nothing that doesn't have an /s.

commedieu

Banned
Christ gaf, every single Trump voter isn't a literal racist. You can't label them all as such.

Trump voters all voted for a man that looks the way when it comes to racism, and shares values with white supremacists, as well as hires them. Is a sexist, and a moron that isn't qualified to be president. Enabling a racist agenda to fall on other human beings.

Which is worse. At least racists admit it. These people smile in your face, love your cooking. But will vote to deport you. Their interests inherently side with a racist administration. As Hillary had a solution for health care and jobs, sans bigotry.

I'm shocked at some of the responses here. Am I the only who doesn't see racism on display here as much as small town ignorance?

They didn't know he was illegal
They welcomed him into their community
They are writing letters trying to get him out.

I'm not saying they deserve sympathy but call it for what it is.

And yes they voted for their own interests first. Shocking.

I'm shocked at some of the responses here. Am I the only who doesn't see racism on display here as much as small town ignorance?

Maybe, just maybe, excusing ignorance to this degree isn't a good thing

They voted for a guy who basically ran on a white supremacist platform, have seen first hand the effects that this has, and still say they'd vote for that same white supremacist if they had another chance.

I'm sure they're all wonderfully open-minded and tolerant people.

They also seemed to have learned absolutely nothing from all of this.

The majority of people in a community makes a decision that effectively ruins a man's life and says they'd do it again. What am I supposed to feel other than jaded and bitter? I feel bad for the guy and his family, and anyone in his community who voted differently. But that's it.

If this guy was that important to them they shouldn't have voted for Trump.

Good question. I'm sure there were some who probably wanted to.

If you don't see this statement here as racist (it's textbook racism on full display), then I don't know what to tell you:

“I knew he was Mexican, but he’s been here so long, he’s just one of us,” said Debra Johnson, a resident. She said she saw a distinction between “people who come over and use the system and people who actually come and help.”

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
I find it sad. These people were fed a narrative that illegal Mexicans were just coming here and abusing food stamps and housing and stealing from the system. They never had a reason to question that rhetoric because they never saw it, but so many people said it... At some point you'll believe shit because you heard it so many times.

It's a big problem with people in general. We go along with so much because it doesn't effect us personally, and because of that we don't question it.

Carlos isn't outside the norm... He is the norm. The rhetoric is the outlier's.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Good question. I'm sure there were some who probably wanted to.

Given the current climate, I wouldn't be surprised if someone in the town called federal authorities to inform them that an Illegal was not just lurking among the white folk, but running a business.

Under Obama, ICE was directed to focus on people with criminal records. Yet Carlos wasn't accosted for his minor record until right now.

NervousXtian

Thought Emoji Movie was good. Take that as you will.
If you don't see this statement here as racist (it's textbook racism on full display), then I don't know what to tell you:

Honestly... I think it's based on ignorance. Dude doesn't realize what's really going on outside his own bubble... Most people don't.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom