• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

NYT: Obama returns to public life next week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bill Clinton still got carted out as the boogeyman by the right so I think he should get used to being blamed for stuff

Obama's star is going to shine even brighter thanks to Trump. There will always be a sector that hates him, but there are going to be a lot more that realize just how good he was with all of Trump's fuck ups.

I hope Obama comes in like:

the_mountain_from_game_of_thrones_and_his_tiny_dog_09.gif

He can just call him out in vague terms. Warn about the dangers of increased nationalism, Xenophobia, deregulation, cronyism, excessive tanning, stuff like that.

Why? It wasn't very effective during the election. The best hope for Obama would be to directly call Trump out to stop him. Otherwise he'll leave it up to Trump to stop himself.

Trouble

Banned
God, I wish he'd just stay away like Hillary and Bush. Well, more like Bush than Hillary but you get the idea. Look into painting or something, Barry. Your existence just holds back the Democratic party like Hillary.

I don't want to vote for Trump. But if that's what it takes to get rid of Obama then so be it. It worked great for Hillary so it should work for Obama.

vessgYo.gif

PiFace

Banned
Bill Clinton still got carted out as the boogeyman by the right so I think he should get used to being blamed for stuff

How's that any different from the last 8 years?

God, I wish he'd just stay away like Hillary and Bush. Well, more like Bush than Hillary but you get the idea. Look into painting or something, Barry. Your existence just holds back the Democratic party like Hillary.

I don't want to vote for Trump. But if that's what it takes to get rid of Obama then so be it. It worked great for Hillary so it should work for Obama.

I agree let's burn down the whole party because lil. Bernie sanders did not win the primary.

Bronx-Man

Banned

I've been lurking this site since 2012 and this might honestly be the worst post I've seen here in those past 5 years.

https://youtu.be/WgbDCiL-IG4

The United States isn't Obama's problem anymore. He should fall back, relax, make speeches and get rich, or richer than he is already. He doesn't have to "save" the country. It's too far gone on both sides of the aisle.

Foffy

Banned
Here's hoping he uses his popularity and prestige to help curate the Democratic party to actually have a strong vision for the future.

I've said it before, but so long as the party lacks any narrative for the rise of the precariat in America, neonationalism will keep thriving. Even Obama knows this.

Here's hoping he does what he can to "smarten up" the party, to quote his own words.

Blader

Why? It wasn't very effective during the election. The best hope for Obama would be to directly call Trump out to stop him. Otherwise he'll leave it up to Trump to stop himself.
Calling out xenophobia and nationalism wasn't very effective during the election, but calling out Trump was?

Nothing but trash..

The United States isn't Obama's problem anymore. He should fall back, relax, make speeches and get rich, or richer than he is already. He doesn't have to "save" the country. It's too far gone on both sides of the aisle.

He's a private citizen that can do what he wants..

That kind of direct confrontation is not Obama's style and its never really been the way ex-Presidents have operated. Reagan (or HW Bush) didn't say shit about about Clinton, Clinton didn't say much about Bush (until it came time to campaign for Hillary and later for Obama in 2008), Bush didn't say much about Obama. Openly criticizing the sitting President as a former President would be pretty unprecedented in this era, but...Trump is a fairly unprecedented individual.

So what you're saying is you'll vote for the racist candidate/party to get rid of the black man?

I can see the case for Obama needing to get out of the way to allow for someone else to emerge as a leader of the party. Question is: Who would that be? Obama should help spur turnout for 2018, and then get out of the way after that

IHaveIce

Banned

Boy... I can't post what I think about you without getting banned

rjinaz

Ahh, I member when I didn't have to think about politics much because actually competent people were running things. Those were the days. This will be good nostalgia.

Mizerman

Your existence holds back humanity as a whole.

Sephzilla

What if Obama comes back and says he's building Obama Tower, and it will be right across the street from Trump Tower, and will be bigger and taller?

Calling out xenophobia and nationalism wasn't very effective during the election, but calling out Trump was?

I don't know if directly calling out Trump is more effective because Obama is too timid to try it. I suspect it is. I think calling him out by name is his best hope outside of Trump self-inflicting damage to his reelection.

Sephzilla

I think Obama being politically active and not mentioning Trump would bug Trump a lot more than if Obama was taking direct shots at Trump.

Dynasty

a0143bb47cc4b099616a3d8b804921f3f31c46deed573611283bfe5db161571b.jpg

Blader

I don't know if directly calling out Trump is more effective because Obama is too timid to try it. I suspect it is. I think calling him out by name is his best hope outside of Trump self-inflicting damage to his reelection.

No, my point was he specifically called out Trump during the campaign and Trump proceeded to win the election.

If the best hope of unseating an incumbent president lies with the former president, then there's no hope of beating Trump in 2020 at all.

No, my point was he specifically called out Trump during the campaign and Trump proceeded to win the election.

If the best hope of unseating an incumbent president lies with the former president, then there's no hope of beating Trump in 2020 at all.

He did? Maybe I missed it but I thought he took the same approach of indirect attacks. Correct me if I'm wrong?

But it's reported he's staying away from directly calling out President Trump, I actually feel this plays into Trump quite a bit, gives him an adversary and the media will eat up the storyline right out of the palm of his hands
This is exactly how I feel

Republicans flourished with Bush out of the way and there was no one republican to rally against. They could all adapt and change without anyone at the top to tie them too. It's better for democrats if he stays away for now

Derwind

I know you've been getting called out through the whole thread but I really got to ask... what is your endgame? Vote out of spite until you're non-preferred candidate either dies or spontaneously pops out existence?

Because you can't actually expect a two-term president to just fall away into obscurity or self-exile.

Even Bush had book deals & speaking engagements well after his presidency.

So what is it that your asking here?

I would get banned for speaking my mind about you.....your post stinks of ...........

LOL Obama only has scheduled appearances for the future and hasn't said a fucking word in the press since he retired, and there's a person here already saying he needs to stay away.

I see you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom